Whistlestop Park Opens To The Public At Six Flags Magic Mountain

By on 03/27/2011

After being closed for several months to undergo a re-theme, Whistlestop Park has officially opened to the world at Six Flags Magic Mountain. Previously known as Thomas Town, this area of the park was transformed into Whistlestop Park after Six Flags dropped the licensing rights to use Thomas the Tank Engine, which Thomas Town was themed after. Six Flags decided to keep the train theme and Whistlestop Park was born. As you can see from the following photos, they did quite a nice job and I think most kids will be pleased with the area.

The first thing you see upon entering the area is the brand new sign arching over the entrance, welcoming you to the park:

Previous visitors to Thomas Town may remember the giant ‘T’ that was embedded into the ground just under the entry. That has been covered over with a fresh layer of concrete:

The top of the water tower has returned, refurbished with the new logo on it:

The Magic Flyer roller coaster, previously known as Percy’s Railway, looked complete but was not operational today:

Here is a front shot of the “engine”:

Here is a side shot of it:

The Whistlestop Train, previously known as Thomas the Tank Engine, was operational today. Here is the entrance to the depot:

The queuing and loading area:

This is a side shot of the loading area:

Here is the train leaving the station:

This is a very well taken care of area and the vibrant colors of the train really stand out against all of the different greens of the landscaping:

All of Thomas’ friends, that used to peek out from this building, are all gone:

Right in the middle of the park is the gift shop. It was actually open today, but this is an old photo from when it was still closed:

I was completely shocked when I walked inside and found nothing but Thomas the Tank Engine stuff. I was expecting maybe a few things of old stock, on clearance, that hadn’t sold yet. However, the entire store was nothing but Thomas gear. I asked the cashier why it was all still there and she said they just had a lot of stock to get rid of. When I asked her what was going to eventually replace it, she said she didn’t know because that will probably be a ways down the road. Even though I’m more of a Lego guy, I love this model of Thomas made out of Mega Blocs:

None of the water features were turned on today, but that was to be expected. The weather isn’t quite warm enough yet to warrant that. However, it won’t be long before the kids are splashing around in here in the hot months ahead.

1. milan

03/28/2011 at 3:03 pm

In my opinion, this retheme was great! The magic flyer looks O.K, the new signs are great, the water tower excellent and the Whistlestop train looks awesome! Except for one thing: what the hell is up with the train’s new dome?
    Overall: 9/10

2. Zol

06/03/2011 at 8:53 pm

I disagree. Kids love Thomas…

3. ellie

09/02/2011 at 5:32 pm

I went there recently and they say the gift shop isnt in use anymore….. i dont know why and i wonder why that other train still looks like percy…alot

09/02/2011 at 7:01 pm

Once they cleared out all the old Thomas stuff, they didn’t have anything to replace it with. And since they don’t get very much traffic in this area, they decided to close the shop. They’ve recently used it as a production office for a TV show that was filmed at the park. One of the employees told me recently that they have no plans to reopen it at all. I suspect it won’t be long before they do something with this area. It’s kind of a waste of space right now. Most of the kids hang out in Bugs Bunny World.

4. Alex

10/24/2011 at 1:56 pm

Six Flags Magic Mountain should just merge Whistlestop park with Bug Bunny World and turn the former “Thomas Town” gift shop into a game area with claw machines and an arcade.

5. Maliq

03/12/2012 at 9:42 am

I will be working the Whistlestop park at SFA this summer. I would enjoy it much better if they themed it to Looney Tunes Train Town

6. Aaron Medina

03/18/2012 at 3:47 pm

Im getting a petition sign to bring back Thomas town. I mean why would people go to a park that they still know that are riding Thomas and Percy.

03/18/2012 at 6:08 pm

It’s never going to happen. Six Flags was paying lots of money to license the right to use those characters and it simply wasn’t worth it. They weren’t getting enough return on their investment. Besides, you know that Percy’s Railway had three different names before Thomastown, right? It was originally the Clown Coaster, then the Wile E. Coyote coaster, then Goliath Jr. I’m sure it’ll probably have other names in the future as well.

7. Aaron

03/18/2012 at 7:03 pm

I already sent six flag a email that i was going to that.

8. Pingback: Profile: Bugs Bunny World |