Missed Photo Op Location Under Superman: Escape from Krypton

By on 04/03/2011

I was recently sitting in the shade underneath Superman: Escape from Krypton at Six Flags Magic Mountain, taking pictures of the cars as they passed overhead and rocketed to the top of the tower. In between the launches, I was people watching and noticed something I hadn’t picked up on before. As people were walking by, suddenly they would stop and run over to the side to have their picture taken. After a few people did this, I got up to see what it was they were having their picture taken in front of and it was this:

People are obviously interested in having their picture taken with a superhero. As you can see from the ground in front of this area, it gets a lot of foot traffic:

It looks like people will even walk through some mud if it has been raining or the sprinklers were on just to have their picture taken in front of an advertising banner that has been nailed to a wood wall. I know that Six Flags provides opportunities for you to have your picture taken with people dressed up as the superheroes, but what if you can’t afford to buy a photo or you would like to have a group photo with many superheroes? If people are this interested in getting this type of photo for their scrap book, why not give them a real photo op?

My thought is that Six Flags Magic Mountain should transform this area into an area where people can get some great shots with their favorite superheroes. Cover up the wood with a smooth wall and have a really nice mural painted on it. People could then have their picture taken in front of it as they become part of the scene. Or how about a couple of life-size statues that you can have your picture taken with in front of a nice backdrop? Heck, at an absolute minimum they should recognize the fact that people want to have their picture taken here by putting in a step up, maybe a couple of stepping stones over the dirt, and then lowering the poster all the way to the ground so that people can get better photos. They really should do something here for their park guests. Their actions are telling Six Flags loud and clear what they are interested in and Six Flags needs to recognize that and act upon it. Just my personal opinion on what I would do if I were running the park. What would you do?

1. Ryan O

04/03/2011 at 9:17 pm

I never knew that was a wooden wall, I thought the whole thing was concrete. I agree that Magic Mountain should do something there though. Maybe do what you said, and make it have just the superheroes and the park’s name instead of advertisements.

By the way, what’s behind the wooden wall?

2. Milan

04/04/2011 at 4:37 am

FAIL!

3. jeffff

04/04/2011 at 7:48 pm

WHEN ARE THEY GONNA START VERTICAL CONSTRUCTION ON GL??????

• admin

04/05/2011 at 6:48 am

I keep asking myself the exact same question. It seems like they are finally to the point where you would expect to see something start to go up, huh?

-Kurt

• jeffff

04/06/2011 at 8:33 pm

yeah. i mean if theyre gonna open it on memorial day weekend they probably wanna finish by early may. and its already april 6 so im just confused why they dont get a head start.

4. Andy

04/05/2011 at 10:07 pm

Hey. How r you? So u did u find out if colussys will reopening again???? By the way my dads friend is part of the construction of the green lateen ride. He told me they are waiting until the road runner is half way complete to get the ride built. Also people don’t go to tatsu, the park received several complaints that the ride is being very unreliable. Because when u got back to the station u get stuck while still hanging. I myself was stuck today. For a good 10 minutes.

5. Jerry

04/06/2011 at 8:20 am

Green Lantern wouldn’t take a long time to build even roadrunner can be built within a week, they are just waiting for an memorial day opening!!

6. Kris

04/07/2011 at 10:37 am

We went to SFSL a few years ago and how photo ops with several heroes at the store near Mr. Freeze…I don’t think they charged for people to take pictures….I took one of my husband with Wonder Woman on our camera and wasn’t denied the opportunity…Disney would prefer you use their photographers, but they can’t stop you from using your own equipment. I think it would take a little work to create a backdrop, but it could be done….Customer service is the key….

7. Planet SIX

04/18/2011 at 5:19 pm

It’s a cool little spot, but definetly not one for photos in my opinion.. I could see the noise of Superman overhead becoming an issue to the guests who want the photo as well as the employees who might have to stand there for a while.

• admin

04/20/2011 at 7:02 am

I wasn’t suggesting that this was a good spot for a photo op with park employees dressed as characters. Rather, since so many people already take their own picture here in from of an advertising banner, why not spruce it up a bit and give them some sort of a special backdrop to take their picture in front of? The park could still use the space above the backdrop, out of view from the camera, to promote whatever they wanted. Since so many more people would likely be taking pictures here, it would be that many more eyeballs in front of their advertisement.