The Metro Monorail Finally Removed At Six Flags Magic Mountain

By on 05/03/2011

It’s been 10 years since the monorail at Six Flags Magic Mountain, known as The Metro, carried its last passenger. All three trains have been parked on a maintenance beam since 2001, just barely out of sight of the general public behind Bugs Bunny World, collecting dust and being subjected to the wrath of Mother Nature. The monorail was one of the original park attractions when it opened in 1971, but 30 years of use took its toll. With the original manufacturer no longer in business, parts were hard to come by and it was very expensive to try and maintain, so the decision was made to scrap it. After 10 years of sitting, the monorail finally got some attention today, albeit not the kind that many people want to hear.

While up in the Sky Tower, checking on the progress of the Green Lantern: First Flight construction, I couldn’t help but notice this in the parking lot:

Metro Monorail at Six Flags Magic Mountain

I immediately swung my camera over to where the monorails had been parked and I saw the next one just about to lifted into the air:

Metro Monorail at Six Flags Magic Mountain

Right behind the crane was a truck being backed in for the next section, and a couple more empty trucks waiting in the parking lot:

Metro Monorail at Six Flags Magic Mountain

I waited around for as long as I could to try and snap some photos of the next section being hoisted onto the truck, but they lowered it back down onto the beam and disconnected the hoist. I was under a time constraint and had to leave, but I did manage to grab this shot in the parking lot on my way out:

Metro Monorail at Six Flags Magic Mountain

I know there are lots of people out there, me included, who were still holding out hope that perhaps one day Six Flags Magic Mountain would change their mind and do whatever was necessary to get this running again. After all, the entire track and all three stations are still in the park. However, I think the cold hard reality is that this is the end of the line for the monorail. There may be some extreme die-hard people out there who will still hold out hope by saying “Maybe they’re sending them out to be rebuilt,” but I honestly think that’s nothing more than a pipe dream. Goodbye, Metro, it was nice knowing you!

Look for an upcoming blog post I’m writing about the history of the monorail and its life up until 2001.

1. Jordan

05/03/2011 at 4:45 pm

Are they removing the Monorail track too?
    Nice pic’s

-thanks

• admin

05/04/2011 at 7:10 am

I did not see any signs that they were removing the monorail track. There is really no reason for them to do so. It would be very expensive and really wouldn’t serve a purpose. It is out of the way and blends in so well that most people don’t even know that it’s there. I predict that we will see the stations come down next, but only when there are plans to put something in one of those spots. They’ve already shown that they don’t remove abandoned rides/buildings unless there is a need.

2. Jeremy

05/03/2011 at 6:20 pm

I have heard the park say that the Metro will never run again. But hopefully sometime in the future, they can completely replace the whole structure and system with an Intamin monorail or something.

Also, did you happen to get any pictures of Green Lantern construction?

• admin

05/04/2011 at 7:15 am

I don’t see Six Flags ever putting another monorail back in the park. They are very, very expensive. It would likely cost 10’s of millions of dollars to put in a completely new monorail system that wraps around the park, but that alone wouldn’t necessarily draw in the additional crowds to pay for it like a new roller coaster would. They should have spent a couple of million to rehab what they already had and kept using it. Hershey Park in Pennsylvania has the exact same monorail and they have managed to keep theirs running after all these years.

I’ll post some other pics later today that I took while in the Sky Tower. Nothing to really report on Green Lantern yet.

3. Ryan O

05/03/2011 at 8:19 pm

This is very sad ūüôĀ I’ve always hoped that they would renovate it and get it running again. It’s a shame that the park has no transportation other than the Orient Express.

• admin

05/04/2011 at 7:21 am

I agree, and even the Orient Express is showing its age. Like the monorail, it has also been in the park since opening day in 1971. I don’t see any signs that they keep it maintained. All the metal railings in the stations are rotting out, the cars are all scratched up and in need of new paint jobs, and the insides are filthy and filled with cobwebs. It’s only a matter of time before it stops working and they put it out to pasture as well with no replacement.

4. Tim

05/03/2011 at 10:48 pm

Perhaps the big addition for 2012 is an all-new monorail system, that wraps around Roaring Rapids, Apocalyse, Ridder’s Revenge, wrapping in front of DC Universe, and going further out into Bugs Bunny World, and the entrance of the park, with all new stations. They could be getting ready now for whatever it is for 2012. I guess we’ll just have to wait and see, or somebody can find out from a source at SFMM.

• admin

05/04/2011 at 7:26 am

A new monorail is highly unlikely. Since these monorails were sitting right next to the open area where Flashback used to be located, my guess is that they are cleaning out this area to make an even bigger space for something else to go in. However, since it’s right next to Hurricane Harbor, we know they won’t be putting something in that will create lots of screams, so I have no idea what they are doing.

05/04/2011 at 10:54 am

You mean that those old Metro trains aren’t over by Colossus because they’re being retrofitted to replace the Morgans on Colossus (which are also near their end)?

There was no doubt that Metro would not run again as “Metro,” but I’d always hoped the park would consider something like Disneyland’s Rocket Rods to run along more or less the same route. Unlike a new monorail, something like that could be marketed as a new family ride. Taking that same route at a higher speed would be a nice, but mild thrill.

To address a comment above, I’ve been told by higher level park management that the removal of Metro’s track is too expensive to justify the expense. It’s not like the track is unsightly, but at some point it would be nice to see old, unused buildings and such removed.

6. Andy

05/04/2011 at 10:05 pm

You guys I’m back with a quick report based on metro. Well its true that on 2012 spring the monorail is actually going to be a rebuilt. My dad went to the reconstruction proposal of colussus and metro. Metro is actually going to return. They have plans. The mechanisms of the trains are going to sent to a facility I can’t say that they will go through a heavy duty recontruction. And well it should work again. But the park does realize. That their is no transportation for the people and are doing a reconstruction of 600,000. Hey found out that it’s able to run the track is still in perfect condition it’s only the cars that are getting the replacements. Mr kurt u will see that that monorail will probabily return if the plans do work out that they will indeed get them to work

• admin

05/05/2011 at 7:23 am

I’d really like to believe this, but I’m going to remain skeptical until I either see the trains return completely refurbished or there are signs of activity on fixing up the three stations.

7. rob

05/06/2011 at 3:15 pm

I, too, would love to believe Andy. Seems way to optimistic to hope for a new Metro. I wonder if they are sending the old trains to Hersheypark for parts.

8. Pingback: Six Flags Magic Mountain’s Metro Monorail Arrives in Hershey, PA « The Coaster Guy

9. Tj

11/14/2016 at 11:18 am

If you really want to see your trains again come ride the Skyrush at Hersheypark as soon as you go over the top of the lift him look down you will see yellow train sitting right across the railroad tracks still intact 2016