2012 Rumor Alert For Six Flags Magic Mountain

By on 06/13/2011

I’m really not into rumors all that much. Actually, let me rephrase that. I love rumors. I love keeping my ear to the ground and absorbing as much information as I can. However, I don’t tend to report on rumors until they are pretty much substantiated by other sources. When it comes to what Six Flags Magic Mountain has up their sleeve for the 2012 season, I’ve now heard the same rumor from a couple of different sources and now also from another theme park enthusiast site, so there must be something there.

Our friends over st Screamscape just reported (here) that they’re hearing that Magic Mountain plans on installing a non-coaster thrill ride for the 2012 season. I’ve been hearing the exact same thing. In fact, what I’ve heard is that Six Flags as a company is going to bring back the ride rotation program. For those who may not be familiar with the program, it takes rides from one park that may have really low rider volume or may perhaps be located in an area that the park wants to use for something else and ships (rotates) them to another park that doesn’t have that type of a ride. This allows each park to experience new rides without Six Flags having to fork out the cost of a brand new ride. It also prevents the need for the company to keep expanding the amount of real estate needed at each park, as there isn’t a net increase in the number of rides at each park.

I’ve heard from two different people now that Deja Vu is going to be one of the first rides to be removed from Magic Mountain as part of the ride rotation program, and possibly shipped to Six Flags New England. On one hand, this kind of makes sense. Deja Vu has a history of mechanical problems, as well as a much lower rider capacity that some other coasters in Magic Mountain. Perhaps if it were to be installed in a park that doesn’t get quite as much traffic as Magic Mountain, it might be possible to keep it maintained and up and running longer. I’ve also noticed, as seen in this photograph, some increased activity over the last month in the empty lot right next to Deja Vu:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Misc

I have no idea what they are doing, but I saw people meeting/talking on this lot during multiple visits to the park. This was the lot that was originally cleared for Mr. Six’s Dance Coaster, which was eventually renamed to Road Runner Express and installed on the other side of the park. It’s not really big enough for a regular coaster, but I bet you could fit some sort of a tower ride here easy enough. If not, here’s what they have to work with if they were to remove Deja Vu:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Deja Vu

You can see the tiny lot in the lower-right part of the photo, with Deja Vu just above it. In addition to that space, the park also has some additional room behind Deja Vu as well. I’m not sure what that building is used for, but it has some old Roaring Rapid boats sitting out in front. It could be some sort of maintenance building, although the rest of the maintenance facilities are located on the opposite side of the park. I believe their property extends to where you see that driveway come in from the access road just behind the building. There’s lots of room to put something in back here. You could even even wrap a new coaster around and even over Apocalypse.

The thing that keeps nagging me about this rumor being false is that Six Flags just spent a ton of money adding new coasters to Magic Mountain to restore its status as the Roller Coaster Capital of the World. Why would they want to remove a coaster and replace it with a non-coaster ride, stripping it of its newly acquired crown? They wouldn’t. Therefore, I must lean towards this rumor as being false. However, I could easily see them removing Thrill Shot:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Thrill Shot

This poor ride has definitely seen better days. I know it hasn’t been used in quite some time, however I’m not quite sure how long. You can tell just by looking at it that it needs some TLC and I’m not even sure if it would be worth installing in another park. Even if they removed it, I don’t think the space it would open up would be big enough for anything substantial to go in. I think we’ll just have to wait until the end of this season and see what they start working on. Hopefully that will give is the clues we need to figure out what they are going to do. In the mean time, leave me a comment and let me know what you’ve heard or what you think the park should do to top itself in 2012.

1. ezell

06/13/2011 at 2:44 pm

Nooooooooooo!!!! Not dejavu!!!!!

2. Ryan O

06/13/2011 at 4:34 pm

I’d hate to see Deja Vu go, that’s one of my favorite rides at the park, right behind Tatsu!
    Knott’s fit their 3-leg drop tower in a very compact spot.

That empty lot by Deja Vu looks like enough room for one.

3. Tim

06/13/2011 at 4:53 pm

It would be very disappointing to a lot of people of Six Flags if they removed Deja Vu, and rotated it to anotehr park. It would cost the park money for removal, and be decrowned the park with the most coasters at 18. There is plenty of room in that small lot, remove more trees, flaten the land, and possibly use the land behind it as the footprint. I am sure they can work with that land for something, and since there’s been quite a lot of activity on that piece of land, there should be something planned for it in 2012. It could be an attraction, or a restaurant, game area, gift shop, ect.

The other three areas in the park where a droptower or skyscreamer/windseeker type ride could go is: the Thrill Shot area, which might be small, but with enough work they could make the piece of land large enough, or the current Pistachio Park area, behind Buccaneer. It used to be a flat ride there, I forget what it was. The Swahbuckler Swings can be removed, and they can use that space for a new attraction that fits that circular footprint. Other areas discussion is being suggested is the old Revolution ENtrance area, which they can improve the land by building up the corners of the hill by making it square enough for a station and queue area for a new attraction, or that unused abandoned restaurant building next to the Sky Tower. There’s many possibilities.

Now the land where the old Monorail Station is located, and Road Runner Express, my guess that piece of land might be intergrated into Hurricane Harbor for new attractions for 2012, something that is quiet and not noisy. Hurricane Harbor hasn’t really gotten any love for awhile with new attractions, so I am guessing and hunting for 2012, that SFMM might give that area of the park something new, and perhps 1 new attraction for SFMM in 2012. Would that be plausible to happen, since for 2011, we already got 2 new rides, and 1 rethemed rebooted ride?

4. Evan

06/13/2011 at 6:27 pm

Cedar Point would be laughing at us if we got rid of DeJaVu.

• cayleyt

09/22/2011 at 5:53 pm

why would they be laughing

09/24/2011 at 1:07 pm

I think what Evan meant was that they would be laughing because SFMM just took sole possession of the coaster crown and made a big deal about it. Now, when Deja Vu goes away, SFMM will be back in a tie with Cedar Point.

~K~

5. Edward(SFMMCrazy)

06/13/2011 at 6:54 pm

There is no way Deja Vu is leaving…that’s a total lie…..thrill shot is being removed this year and it’s being removed to a different park that was said at WCB2010.

6. jd

06/13/2011 at 11:32 pm

I agree with the rumor being false. Taking De Ja Vu away would leave just Apocalypse and an uncomfirmed Drop Tower, a giant step back from the progress made this year. Another reason is that Six Flags would look like complete idiots if there trying to pull the whole redemption of the Coaster Crown thing and then immediately have that removed less than a year later by there own doing. That ride may have low volume but not because its not a great ride experience. Maybe its because of the 2 slow people they always have staffed on it to go along with the one train that the ride can have. I’ve read that they are really trying to bring theming back into the themed areas of the park. I think next year is going to focus on this whole area and will hopefully match the quality of the new “DC UNIVERSE”. If anything, I think there will be an addition right next to De Ja Vu not a removal of anything. But hey if im wrong and they do remove it i must say, in my oppinion, its horrible decision making that would put there management in question. I would be very fearful for the future of Magic Mountain if Management can pull a stunt like marketing the park for having the most coasters knowing it wont be in a few months.

7. jd

06/13/2011 at 11:40 pm

o and im getting way ahead of myself here but if u check out the link below you’ll see a survey with a list of names for possible future rides. OMG!400 sounds like a name for a 400ft drop tower to me. Sounds like something Magic Mountain would do, after all it is an extreme park…

8. Josh

06/14/2011 at 3:57 pm

I would hate to see Deja Vu go, but it would make sense in terms of themes. It would have to be replaced with another coaster, though. As people have said, why would they capture the coaster crown only to relinquish it?

9. Chris

06/15/2011 at 8:07 am

Deja Vu is not going anywhere. The park and corporate office invested too many resources in marketing and PR for the promotional campaign “The Most Coasters in Any Theme Park in the World” this year to lose one in their roster less than a year later.

In addition, Six Flags New England already is home to a Boomerang coaster.

Thrill Shot however, is being dismantled within the year. Whether it is planned for relocation or not, is not certain.

• JIMMY TOVAR

06/29/2011 at 5:56 am

I hope your right Chirs!!

10. Daniel

06/15/2011 at 3:01 pm

I think that Magic Mountain should build a dive coaster like Dare Devil Dive at Six Flags Over Georgia.

• Cameron Searcy

06/26/2011 at 1:03 pm

I think maybe they should wait and check out what Cedar Point is doing and if Cedar Point is doing something sneaky next year then they should build something probably small and cheap like the Dare Devil Dive we just got over here at SFOG. If Cedar Point is just gonna relax, then Six Flags should just try to improve its other parks. Whether it be rides, staff, food, etc., Six Flags Magic Mountain should help some its brothers get to its level.
      I know I might sound a little selfish here, but SFOG hasn’t gotten a new ride since Goliath before Dare Devil Dive came, but some other parks haven’t either, so unless Cedar Point is going to rush another coaster, SFMM should just sit back and help its family tree.

11. JIMMY TOVAR

06/29/2011 at 5:54 am

I hope that it is not true that Deja Vu will be relocated….it is, and still is one of the best rides at Magic Mountain. Removing it will be a bad decision by MM. And it happens to be one of the favorites among us coaster enthusiasts. Please Magic Mountain, if you read this, don’t take it away. WE love Deja Vu to much!!!

12. SFNECRAZY

07/06/2011 at 6:22 am

This rumor is totally true, i happen to work at SFNE and maintenance and corporate have already confirmed that SFNE will be getting Deja Vu next year in 2012, they will be removing Shipwreck Falls and locating Deja Vu in that area.

• Salvador Haro

08/13/2011 at 10:05 pm

you said you wud be getting a Deja vu ride. Maybe yur just making it their not getting a transfer. I highly doubt six flags magic mountain wud get rid of Deja vu and then loose the crown for most roller coasters in the world.

13. Reese

07/10/2011 at 10:23 pm

We had DEJA VU here at Six Flags in Gurnee in 2001 to 2007 It was one of the best rides there, along with V2 and the Raging Bull. The ride had mechanical problems from day one and was rarely open to ride but when it was it was the best experience ever and worth getting a season pass for. Then when it left we only had two really great thrill rides and it is still a a lose for us ;( after that no more season passes. We need more thrill rides!!!!!!!!

• Cameron Searcy

11/14/2011 at 6:38 pm

We had one at SFOG too in the same years, but they shipped it to some poor park in Italy that couldn’t even afford to build it until this year.

11/14/2011 at 7:29 pm

It actually went to Mirabilandia in Brazil, and it’s now known as Sky Mountain.

14. Cody

07/22/2011 at 12:53 am

So what would they be replacing it with? Or do you know?

• Cody

07/22/2011 at 12:56 am

Also the only reson no one rides it is because its always closed!

• admin

07/22/2011 at 7:26 pm

I have no idea. I’m currently at Six Flags Great Adventure in New Jersey on the Discover Coaster to Coaster Tour, so I’ve been pretty much out of the SFMM loop for the last couple of weeks. You can follow our current adventures at http://www.coastertocoastertour.com until we get back in August.

15. Pingback: Return Of The Six Flags Ride Rotation Program? « The Coaster Guy

16. Salvador Haro

08/13/2011 at 9:49 pm

Deja Vu is my favorite ride! Its tied for first with Goliath on my list! They wudn’t take it out cus then they wud not have the crown. Just like the other guy said. Knott’s Berry farm squashed their three legged tower in a very smushed spot in between Xcelerator and Dragon Swing, but its a very successful ride! Maybe six flags shud just keep Deja vu, use that spot to make a drop/free fall tower like Knotts(knott’s berry farm also crammed windjammer in between jaguar, siler bullet, and chairswings). Knott’s berry farm is very successful and Six Flags can do that too. They shud refurbish collossus with the Texas Giant refurbishment and add in banked turns insted of boring flat turns. Keep deja vu and get rid of thrill shot(just cus its old and broken) and transfer either jet stream or SCREAM(scream is fun and i like it but its one of the parks least popular rides and its better than transferring DEja vu). Besides, Kings Island has this ride very similar to deja vu i forgot the name but it tunrs out to be breaking down a lot less than a lot of other rides at Kings island. Six Flags just needs to lern how to control and take care of deja vu so it doesnt brake down. maybe by closing it an hour erly so it can cool off or something. oh yeah, and get rid of the OTSRs on revolution, the ride was perfectly fine without them. Knott’s Berry Farm has Montezumas revenge with only lapbars and it goes through its loop forwards and backwards. Revolutions hedbanging are making the ride unrideable. so get rid of the OTSRs. thats all i hav to say, sorry for it being long but i love six flags magic mountain and i dont want to see it fail, or make these mistakes. thanks for reading. You sound like someone that can contact six flags, if you can please tell them about any of my ideas that you tnink are good or great. I LOVE SIX FLAGS!

17. Cory Hughey

08/17/2011 at 3:03 am

The coaster wars are over. Deja Vu deserves a new home. It’s a good coaster (better than Green Lantern IMO), but is in a horrible location and has low ridership in its current state. Cedar Point moved Demon Drop two years ago which was one of its iconic rides, but it wasn’t appreciated anymore. Cedar Point won’t be putting in another coaster until 2013. CP and MM have been tied a number of times. I’m a Ohioan living in Los Angeles and you really can’t compare the two parks. Cedar Point is the superior park for a number of reasons but one of the big ones is that they have awesome thrill rides and Magic Mountain has none. Magic Mountain is a cluster f*@( of coasters and kiddy rides and absolutely no thrill rides (the layout of the park is awful). CP boasts Power Tower, Max Air, Sky Hawk, Witches Wheel, and now Wind Seeker. These add a great amount of daily value into your visit to the park because of their high capacity and thrills that aren’t achievable on a coaster. And they are A LOT cheaper generally than a new coaster. I go to Magic Mountain at least twice a month and every time I’m there I think how much better of a park it would be if they added a Huss Giant Frisbee and a S&S drop tower. A star flyer would be great too. It would give an awesome view of the surrounding mountains. Maybe even a real Ferris wheel.

• admin

08/17/2011 at 8:23 am

Don’t forget about some sort of people mover to shuttle people around the park, especially a way to get up to the top of the hill from the backside.

• Salvador Haro

08/17/2011 at 6:52 pm

Actually Deja vu is one of the most appreciated roller coaster at Six Flags Magic Mountain. Yes people get mad cus it breaks down a lot but thats because magic mountain doesnt take care of it very well, if only they give it the attention they giv tatsu, then it wudnt break down as much. Its not vekomas vault, the ride is fine, but hav you seen the people who operate it, they just need to take care of it. And you cant compare the thrill flat ground rides from roller coaster they are completely different. Just like thrill flat groun rides hav thrill not achievable by roller coasters, roller coasters hav thrills ntoachievable by the flat ground thrill rides. And its pretty obvious that people prefer roller coasters rather than the flat ground rides. The location doesnt matter, people have a map to find them all. Im sorry i dont want to offend anyone but it sounds like you dont know how to enjoy yourself at a theme park. Who cares how it can be better, the parks does what it does. Just enjoy whats their, if you dont like whats their, then dont go. But im pretty sure there is something there that you wud like.Its a fun park. I cant say nothing about Cedar Point because ive never been there, but ive always wanted to go there. Unfortunatly the best launch coaster I can go to is Xcelerator at notts Berry Farm.

• dustin

08/10/2012 at 3:17 pm

first off its not the ppl who work on deja vu that cause the problem it has. its a complicated system and there are many factors that are just bad designs. tatsu is a b&m. those rides are full proof. b&m is a very good coaster manufacturer and rarely have mechanical/electrical issues. deja vu had 2 separate hydraulic systems that constantly go horizontal then vertical then 2 more hydraulic systems for the winch units. the train was heavy and poorly design which is why its now getting a new train from a totally different company. like i said its not the ppl who work on deja vu its the ride. some rides just have problems. intamin rides have plenty more then vekoma and break down a lot more.

18. Alex Abe

10/08/2011 at 2:14 am

I just came from MM Valencia, CA and Deja Vu was more fun than tatsu although I do admit that each time you sit on tatsu it will be a different ride due to random movement which rocks, the element that keeps the ride new every time, De Ja Vu caught me off guard, sat in front didn’t know what to expect, going straight up staring at the ground below you and shooting off,,, heck I wanna ride both a second time… good thing I have season passes!! Yay.

Thank you God! Jesus you rock, bless all who read this with the Living Water.

Amen

19. Kit

10/10/2011 at 1:50 pm

It has been confirmed that Dejavu is being removed and relocated to SFNE. they just had a Dejavu farewell ride a few days ago. its being taken down by oct 16 2011 according to SFMM news.
    a new ride called Lex Luthor Drop of Doom will be added onto superman’s towers on either side and is set to be 40 stories tall and will take the title of tallest free falling/drop ride from the one in australia. its set to open up by spring 2012.

20. diana

11/01/2011 at 10:39 pm

yup i was there yesturday and they are taking deja vu off i saw they were taking the loop off never got a chance to ride it i got on log jammer and they said “thanks for riding log jammer on its last day” i guess they are taking it off too :/

21. caleb

11/20/2011 at 12:56 pm

yeah, they removed deja vu 🙁 its so stupid cuz it was a favorite to many and like u said took away the crown they had spent so much money advertising. The lot u were talking about, I think they should put a topspin. Since Lex Luthor is going on superman, I guess Deja Vu lot will sit empty. That coaster was so small, there’s not much that could go in it’s place!

22. caleb

12/16/2011 at 10:04 pm

they should put a topspin in the empty little lot….

23. Zac

12/29/2011 at 12:34 pm

okay, rumor alert:
    word around the inside of the park is that six flags is going to release a supercoaster in 2013. When i say supercoaster I mean a SUPER coaster. A coaster that would travel all around the park and be very long with multiple trains running at one time. Rumor has it that magic mountain is removing: all their water rides except roaring rapids (meaning, log jammer, jet sream and tidal wave), deja vu, and thrill shot. They would also use the lot next to deja vu to construct this monster of a coaster. Ive also heard rumor that the metro tracks would be removed to install this coaster. It seems very far-fetched but they have already taken deja vu and log jammer and havent used the lot next to deja vu. Magic mountain is known for their extreme thrills so I think its defintley possible that they would construct something so massive. With such a succesful 2011 season I dont see why they wouldnt spend money to bring even more crowds and media into the park.

24. cristian

05/30/2012 at 9:50 am

They took it off from the park.!!
    Noo mor Deja Vu >:/

25. Marina B

06/28/2012 at 11:11 am

Well, it’s June 28, 2012 and my friend went to Six Flags Magic Mountain the other day and saw no Deja Vu coaster.. They did take it off so the rumors were true

26. adrian

07/14/2012 at 4:06 pm

so deja vu is gone and they can build a new rollercoaster to replace it …lex luthor was a very space saving opinion …. deja vu is alot lke boomerange at knotts but harder….they need to increase ticket sales and park quality ….the have the title of the worlds best rollercoaster park so they can do something about the restarants and shows

07/14/2012 at 8:49 pm

They currently hold the title of Roller Coaster Capital of the World because they have more roller coasters than any other park on the planet, but I wouldn’t say they are the World’s Best Roller Coaster Park. I don’t think you’ll find anyone else that would say that either. There is a big difference.