UA-20143982-1 Morning Dash For X2 At Six Flags Magic Mountain - The Coaster Guy
How to make money online

Morning Dash For X2 At Six Flags Magic Mountain

By on 06/20/2011

Six Flags Magic Mountain X2 Logo

It’s been nine years since X made its debut at Six Flags Magic Mountain, and just over three years since it was transformed into X2. However, even after so many years, it is still considered by many to be the most popular roller coaster in the park. As you can see in the following photo, what’s not to love? You climb the lift hill backwards, on your back, in a seat designed to rotate 360 degrees, and the first drop is over 200 feet at nearly 90 degrees vertical!

Six Flags Magic Mountain X2

The biggest drawback to X2’s popularity is actually getting to ride it. As soon as the front gates open in the morning, people literally run to get in line. Within 10-15 minutes, the switchbacks are full and the line has already backed up over the bridge, as seen here:

Six Flags Magic Mountain X2

If you’re not familiar with X2’s queue, the following photo gives a little better perspective. When X was built, a small bridge was installed over an existing midway to allow people to get to the area where the coaster was installed. You can’t see them here, but there are quite a few switchbacks that are hidden under the trees. The line eventually bends to the right and there are more switchbacks under the red and grey triangular shade covers you can see behind Viper. The line then makes its way under the lift hill, splits, and makes it way up ramps located on both sides of the building. A line backed up to the bridge like this is roughly a three hour wait:

Six Flags Magic Mountain X2

Here are a few seconds of video taken right as the park opened, showing people running up the hill to get to X2:

The funny thing is that there is a hill just to the right of his camera shot and many of them don’t make it up before they start walking, trying to catch their breath.

1. jd

06/20/2011 at 10:39 pm

I dont understand this at all. This ride is amazing but waiting 3 HOURS!!! Really!?!?!? This blows my mind. I don’t understand how anyone could wait this long for a great but very short ride. lol i mean no one even wants to come back later in the day. Really??? This is insane. Only way id wait that long for a ride is if i’ve never riden it and its something monsterous like a 400+ foot rollercoaster. like a chain lift and drop type like goliath but as tall as superman. damnt the second drop alone would be around goliaths first drop. That would be FUN!! Maybe one day…

• Evan

06/20/2011 at 10:47 pm

if they make an X3, then that could be a possibility.

2. Ryan O

06/21/2011 at 7:36 am

The funny thing is that people get tired and slow down half-way there. I can sprint the whole way there, so I only wait 10 or 15 minutes.
    But if you’re towards the back of the line to enter the park through the main gates, you won’t get there in time.

Even if I can make it to X2 running, I’d rather skip it so I can beat the crowds on Tatsu, Apocalypse, Deja Vu, etc.

3. Justin

06/21/2011 at 2:47 pm

This first time I rode X it was blazing hot and I had to wait 3+ hours due to the wheels wearing down so quick. I was in the station queue and they shut-down for another 30 min to switch out the wheels. I was so tired of waiting!

Now I just plan to visit late summer when school is back in and I go on a weekday. Lines are never long and I can usually get on X2 within 30min-1hr.

4. SFMM JUNKIE!

06/21/2011 at 7:40 pm

I WILL WAIT 4 HRS FOR THIS RIDE BECAUSE THIS IS THE RIDE THAT MADE ME LOVE THRILL COASTERS AND SIX FLAGS MAGIC MOUNTAIN! I LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVVVVVVVVVVVVEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE X2! CANT WAIT FOR GREEN LANTERN!

5. Charles

06/21/2011 at 11:54 pm

I would think that by now they would have increased dispatch times and lines would go a little quicker.

• yay

07/18/2014 at 9:58 pm

most rides take 2:00-2:30 to load and dispatch. this is true for x2. dispatch tames are normal for this ride. same dispatch time as every other coaster at this park.(except kiddie coasters, which are only like a minute. lol.

6. Planet SIX

06/25/2011 at 10:43 am

This is exactly why we go the opposite way when it opens. You can get on Goliath, Colossus, Scream and Batman in less than an hour.

• jd

06/25/2011 at 1:14 pm

Shhhhhhh! U can’t share the secret!

• Andrew

06/25/2011 at 2:10 pm

That’s not a secret. It’s just what you do if you don’t want to ride X2! If you want to ride X2, that is the worst idea ever!

• Andrew

06/25/2011 at 2:09 pm

Then you will NEVER get on X2! I am always able to get on the first or second X2 train of the day just by running! Then I can still beat the crowds on Tatsu (1-2 train wait), Superman (2 car wait), Deja Vu (1 train), and Apocalypse (10 min). I won’t wait more than 20 minutes for anything.

7. Jay

09/04/2011 at 12:12 pm

Ok, I’m coming from TX…1st time at SFMM. So, is it like that during October Fright Fest Weekends too?! I’m going on a Friday and Saturday in October. I’ve heard Saturdays will be crowded later in the day but not sure about Friday. And yes, X2 will be my top priority…wish me luck!!

09/05/2011 at 2:48 pm

You’ll probably be ok on the Friday, as school will still be in session. However, make sure you make a mad dash for it as soon as the gates open on Saturday, as it will get crowded. If you have a Discover card, be sure to take it so you can use the special entrance to get in a few minutes early. Good luck!

8. Pingback: Ride Profile: X2 |

9. caleb

01/12/2012 at 6:58 pm

I wish I could have been there for the reopening of X2, or opening of X (even better). I heard it was a TEN HOUR WAIT, HAHAHAHAAH.
    When Green Lantern opened, I really wanted to run to DC Universe but be like BATMAN YEAHHHHH!!!!!

10. Martin

08/15/2012 at 11:05 pm

Ahhh, memories. The “Theme Park Junkies” (TPJ) from Australia have visited twice in 2011 and 2012. In the seven days we visited SFMM we always did the “X2 Sprint”, then onto Tatsu and Apocalypse.
    Gotta say that it was worth every bit of it. Not only does the run get you fit, you save about 2 hrs in wait time!!! We will be back!

11. yay

07/18/2014 at 10:01 pm

after it reopened earlier this year (2014) the ride felt WWWAAAYYY more shaky in the front, the back felt the same. is this just me?

12. Caroline

09/04/2017 at 4:57 pm

Okay so I’m planning on going with a few friends in 3 weeks. X2 is the one ride I really really want to go on. Is there anytime in the day that X2 gets less crowded? Possibly at nighttime? We are planning on getting there when it opens but I was wondering if there might be any other time. I could go with anytime less than of equal to a wait time of 1 hour. We are going on a Saturday. Thank you!

09/07/2017 at 4:35 pm

Some people say the late afternoon is a good time to find a short line. It’s always hit or miss for me. Saturday’s are always crowded, so I wouldn’t expect a short line at all. Go right at opening and get it done to be safe.