DC Universe Revealed To Public At Six Flags Magic Mountain

By on 07/01/2011

Today is not only the launch of Six Flags Magic Mountain’s latest roller coaster, Green Lantern: First Flight, but it’s also the grand opening of the completely re-themed area of the park in which it sits. Formerly known as the Gotham City Backlot, it is now known as DC Universe. What was once a fairly dark and dingy area, by design to feel like the seedy underbelly of Gotham City, it is now colorful and vibrant. You feel like you literally stepped into the pages of a DC comic book, which I’m sure is exactly what they were going for. The following pictures were taken yesterday during the media event that was held to preview the ride and the area.

The very first thing you notice when you approach DC Universe is the archway. It is covered in snapshots of some of the more famous DC Comics characters, as well as some nice 3-D elements that give it some additional depth:

Six Flags Magic Mountain DC Universe

Wonder Woman Lasso of Truth was completely refurbished and looks great in its new colors:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Wonder Woman Lasso of Truth

Inside the queue, there are several signs that give background information on Wonder Woman. Can you spot the typo like one of my eagle-eyed readers:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Wonder Woman Lasso of Truth

The Flash: Speed Force was also completely refurbished and looked good:

Six Flags Magic Mountain The Flash Speed Force

Lightning bolts were attached to the sides of each car later in the afternoon:

Six Flags Magic Mountain The Flash Speed Force

What was formerly known as Pizza Vector has been listed on the 2011 Park Map as Watch Tower Pizza. Looks like there was a change and it has officially become Teen Titans Tower Pizza:

The former Corn Cart is now known as Kent Farm Roaster Corn:

Six Flags Magic Mountain DC Universe

The entire building facade down the main midway got a face lift and has all kinds of references to the DC Universe:

Six Flags Magic Mountain DC Universe

I have no idea who this little guy is, but he was watching everyone through the window:

Six Flags Magic Mountain DC Universe

I absolutely love this detail. Just outside of Clark Kent’s apartment is a phone booth (yes, kids, we used to have pay phones in booths on street corners) with his clothes in it. Very clever:

Six Flags Magic Mountain DC Universe

This instantly took me back to my childhood and put a smile on my face. Who remembers Plastic Man?

Six Flags Magic Mountain DC Universe

All these little details really add to the theme and are something I feel that Six Flags has been overlooking. If this is the direction they have decided they want to start heading, then I tip my hat to them. This newspaper stand (yes, kids, newspapers used to be printed on paper and sold through vending machines on the street corner) was another nice touch:

Six Flags Magic Mountain DC Universe

If you walk up to to Clark Kent’s apartment, you can see who all his neighbors are. Do you recognize all the names? Did you ring the bell?

Six Flags Magic Mountain DC Universe

Here are some more new signs that can be found throughout the area. This one looks an awful lot like the Lexus logo:

Six Flags Magic Mountain DC Universe

Even though Batman: The Ride didn’t appear to be touched by this makeover, at least not from what I saw, the Batmobile made a special appearance:

1. JIMMY TOVAR

07/01/2011 at 11:43 am

AWESOME!!! WOW!!!…..I can’t believe this is Magic Mountain…! They truly did a phenomenal job. The colors are amazing. Thanks coaster guy. No one covers MM like you do….much obliged.

• admin

07/01/2011 at 3:54 pm

Thank you very much, Jimmy. I’m glad you like it. Please be sure to tell all your friends about my site. 🙂

• JIMMY

07/01/2011 at 5:18 pm

I WILL…..HAVE A NICE VACATION.

2. Ryan O

07/02/2011 at 8:42 am

I was very very impressed seeing DC Universe in person yesterday! I thought it would look cheesy, but it’s actually very nice. I’m glad to see SFMM focus on theming for once!

3. John Balen

07/02/2011 at 11:40 pm

On the Wonder Woman powers and abilities sign, it says…

“She ia an inspiration to the world”

They misspelled “is”. Somebody must have gotten fired…..

• admin

07/03/2011 at 7:01 am

Nice catch! I was in such a hurry trying to photograph everything that day that I guess I didn’t take the time to read it that close. However, I doubt somebody would have gotten fired over this.

4. Pingback: DC Universe Opens At Six Flags Magic Mountain › Theme Park Hype

5. JIMMY TOVAR

07/12/2011 at 10:37 am

The little guy who’s looking out the window, I think he’s one of the stuffed toy’s in the KIA Sorento commercial…….ha!

6. Zac

08/10/2011 at 11:21 am

magic mountain is finally giving disneyland a little bit of competition! Dc universe looks absoutley amazing, the colors are bright, the streets are clean, the grennery is green and well watered, and they even play “superhero” music just in DC universe. The park really needed dramatic changes and they nailed it in 2011. Its finally becoming a family park again, with all the superheros to take pictures with, the increased security to keep everyone safe, the increase of entertainment. They really are making a come back. And its just funny to think, back in 2006, this park almsot closed, they knew this park had potential, and they were right. Take a bow magic mountain, because you put on a great show.

7. Mark

08/22/2011 at 9:40 pm

This does look cool, although I always liked the Gotham City theme that Kevin Barbee designed during the WB era of the park, even though the Batman ride itself was always kind of mediocre.

Also, I wonder if it would have been better to reserve the use of the Flash character for some future intense gigacoaster rather than an old-school flat ride?

Anyway, I’m sure it looks nice now (haven’t had a chance to visit yet) but let’s hope they can keep it looking nice. Maintenance has always been the big issue at Magic Mountain.

8. Pingback: Monorail Returning To Six Flags Magic Mountain - The Coaster Guy

9. Pingback: 2013 Grad Nite At Six Flags Magic Mountain - The Coaster Guy

10. Pingback: De Illusions Magic Show At Six Flags Magic Mountain - The Coaster Guy

11. Pingback: Green Lantern at Six Flags Magic Mountain - The Coaster Guy

12. Austin Parrish

06/09/2015 at 5:39 pm

What six flags is this at I soooo wanna go

13. Pat

06/14/2018 at 11:09 am

Hey what happens when you ring the bell? Does it still work today?