Lex Luthor: Drop of Doom Coming To Six Flags Magic Mountain

By on 09/01/2011

Six Flags Magic Mountain Lex Luthor Drop of DoomThe rumor mill can stop spinning now. Six Flags has finally revealed their plans for the 2012 season and most people are in shock. Just about all of their parks are getting something new, whether it’s a new roller coaster, flat ride, or show. Believe it or not, the ride that seems to be getting much of the attention is not a roller coaster, but rather an extreme flat ride, and we’re fortunate that it’s being installed right here at Six Flags Magic Mountain.

Six Flags is going to strap a drop tower on either side of the existing 415 foot Superman: Escape from Krypton tower and call it the Lex Luthor: Drop of Doom. With a vertical drop of 400 feet and speeds reaching 85 MPH, Lex Luthor: Drop of Doom will become the tallest and fastest drop tower in the world, and give Six Flags Magic Mountain yet another world record setting ride.

Six Flags Magic Mountain Lex Luthor Drop of Doom

Image © 2011 Six Flags

The ride is being custom built for Six Flags Magic Mountain by world-renowned ride manufacturer Intamin, who also happened to be the manufacturer of Superman: Escape from Krypton. Since they are the ones who built the tower, it makes sense that they were the ones chosen to design the ride. Intamin also has a reputation for having much more thrilling drop towers than its competitors. Each side will have an 8-passenger, floorless gondola that will be lifted to the top of the tower via cables. After a brief pause, the gondola will be dropped, free falling for five seconds and reaching 85 MPH before state-of-the-art magnetic brakes activate and bring the gondola to a safe stop just feet from the ground.

It is presumed that Superman: Escape from Krypton will need to be closed for part, if not all, of the construction time scheduled for the building of Lex Luthor: Drop of Doom. The park has stated that the new ride will be open in the Spring of 2012, although no specific date has been given. The video below, provided by Six Flags, is an awesome animation of what the completed ride will look like.

1. Justin

09/02/2011 at 7:49 am

WHAAAAAAAAAT!!!!! This is insane! Drop towers freak me out but are such a good thrill. I got butterflies just watching the drop in the animation! Ha-ha.

Kurt, does this confirm Deja Vu’s removal?

09/02/2011 at 9:44 am

Absolutely. Although the two events have nothing to do with each other, Deja Vu is being moved to Six Flags New England and re-themed as Goliath. I’ll post a quick blurb about that later, when I get some free time.

2. Brian

09/02/2011 at 9:53 am

Can you imagine how loud it’s going to be when you are riding that and the Superman coaster launches? It looks like it’s going to be a lot of fun!

• Justin

09/02/2011 at 12:51 pm

It actually wouldn’t be that loud since Superman quiets down as it ascends the tower. Would still freak me out as I’m climbing up on Lex Luthor though.

• Brian

09/02/2011 at 7:41 pm

True. I think it’s going to be interesting to see how they arrange the queue line and station. I think a lot of people will be screaming at friends when standing in line. I compare the sound of the coaster launch to a plane taking off.

• J.D.

04/14/2012 at 1:19 pm

Actually, the new Superman: EFK trains are much lighter and less noisy than the original trains, and also don’t make as much noise as they ascend & descend the vertical section of the track.

3. Carissa

09/02/2011 at 10:14 pm

Now that ride is awesome! How come they are taking out Deja Vu anyway? And why did they ever take out Freefall?

09/03/2011 at 5:54 am

Freefall was gone before I moved to SoCal, but my understanding was that it was just getting old and lost its popularity. There were also also a lot of injuries reported on that ride and I think there may have even been a fatality at one point, at least at one of the parks. As for Deja Vu, it’s being moved to Six Flags New England and renamed to Goliath as part of the renewed ride sharing program. I think they chose to send Deja Vu because it was a maintenance nightmare and they also wanted to open that space up for something bigger and better next year.

4. JJJ

09/08/2011 at 1:54 am

Freefall was the best ride at magic mountain 🙁

I have two concerns with this new ride:

Capacity looks extremely low. Drop rides are very slow to launch, and with a capacity of 16….well, I wont risk the line until 2014.

Because the line will move so slowly, they MUST put in some good sound proofing. Listening to superman go by for 4 hours? That’s dangerous to ones hearing.

Looks amazing though. I hope they have a coaster planned for winter at the deja vu site.

09/08/2011 at 7:03 am

Despite the low capacity, I don’t anticipate long waits. Even the seasoned coaster enthusiasts I’ve been talking too say it’s too high for them and they’ll probably have to pass, at least initially. I think there is going to be a lot of people watching, but fewer people actually riding it. I’ve also been on drop rides at other parks and the lines do not have to move slow. However, this is Magic Mountain so that is a possibility. As for the noise from S:EFK, again not a big deal. There will not be 4-hour long lines. Plus, there are all kinds of park employees who work under that track all day long. If the noise was at a high enough level to cause hearing damage, we would have heard about it by now. Like you, I also expect something amazing to show up in Deja Vu’s old spot for 2013.

• JJJ

09/10/2011 at 1:59 am

I dont remember what park it was, but there was a drop ride with three towers, each with three sides, each side holding 3 (or 4?) people.

So capacity was 27-36 (if it was 3 people per side or 4) and it was an extremely slow wait.

Deja Vu slow.

I think being “tallest and fastest” is enough to cause huge lines. Look at X2 and Tatsu after so many years. Still 3 hour waits in the summer, and they have decent capacity. I would expect 3+ hours wait at this drop as the rule, not the exception.

Will many people be terrified? Yes. But thats part of the draw isn’t it?

And just because the minimum wage employees do not have the education to demand better working conditions (demand earplugs or sue for damaged hearing) doesn’t mean customers will be willing to take the same beating. Repeated exposure to that level of sound WILL cause damages, it’s no question. I hope SF:MM is smart enough to realize the line must be set up in a way where this is not the issue.

As a frequent customer, I don’t want to see MM lose a million dollar lawsuit because of something so easy to foresee. I also don’t want my hearing damaged waiting in line.

“If we were getting something in Deja Vu’s spot this year, they would have announced it on September 1. I’m pretty optimistic for 2013 though.”

When was Green Lantern announced? I’m guessing that the Deja Vu spot will have something much larger, so it will take longer to set up. Green Lantern missed the planned launch date…twice. I dont think they want to make that mistake again. Theyll want to be ready before memorial day 2013, maybe earlier, to sell more season passes.

• Ryan O

09/08/2011 at 3:29 pm

I’ve also talked to a ton of people that aren’t brave enough to ride Lex Luthor yet 🙂

5. jd

09/08/2011 at 4:06 pm

I love how at :26 in the video u can see de ja vu. .. Sorry i’m very bitter about the whole thing

09/09/2011 at 7:08 am

Don’t be bitter. Just rest assured knowing that they wouldn’t replace it with something worse. We’re going to get something great out of the whole process, it just takes time and money.

6. ellie

11/03/2011 at 8:25 pm

I dont know how they will do that because the bases of Superman have a curve to them so…?

11/04/2011 at 7:18 am

Don’t worry, Ellie. They will have to add some additional structure to the tower to not only stiffen it up a bit, but also to attach the new ride to. I’m sure that will bring it out far enough to make the entire drop perfectly vertical.

~K~

7. edward

11/14/2011 at 9:23 pm

i think that the will destroy a restraunt near there and will use part of goliath

11/19/2011 at 2:19 am

There’s more room around that tower than you think. They can get very creative with placement of queues.

8. joe miranda

12/21/2011 at 9:17 am

I keep thinking that they`re going to put a coaster like flashback in dejavus place

• Jacob

02/18/2012 at 9:40 pm

I know I do too for some reason.. :/ hmmm. But is that a bad thing to you?

9. Pingback: Superman Closing On Feb 5th For Lex Luthor Construction |

10. Sean

02/12/2012 at 1:13 pm

I live in NY and have only been to this park once.I go to SFGA(Great Adventure) quite frequently and will be coming back this spring.Generally flat rides like this tend to be the longest of the wait times. I went the year X(orginal) opened and I waited 4 hours for teh rde in dead august.This should be no different

02/12/2012 at 2:35 pm

I expect huge wait times for this ride, at least at first. Hopefully, as the novelty wears off, they’ll drop down quite a bit.

11. Jacob

02/18/2012 at 9:35 pm

I can’t wait to ride this! But what scares me about this ride is if you haven’t noticed…when the cars for superman:EFK goes up the structure sways side to side wich worries me a bit. I noticed that over the summer when Green lantern came out. Anyway what ever happened to the old magic Pagoda in the 70’s I was reading about it but why did they take it out? It was posted on facebook randomly by the theme park review page.

12. nathaly

04/12/2012 at 9:40 pm

this thing isvery scary

13. michaelochs

05/19/2012 at 7:02 pm

this ride is sure to be awesome i just want them to hurry but not rush the ride ,so i can ride sefk just dont rush.

14. Brooklyn Baure

07/06/2012 at 7:41 pm

how old do you have to be to ride it? I am 13, and want to ride it…. how long do i have to wait… or can i ride now (at this age)?????

07/06/2012 at 7:53 pm

It’s not a matter of age, but rather height, Brooklyn. As long as you are 48″ tall, you can ride it, regardless of how old you are.

15. greenBV4

07/11/2012 at 2:13 am

we have one of these in Australia just 6ft smaller and built by the same company, soo good

• greenBV4

07/11/2012 at 2:15 am

and it also has a ride like superman efk up the side