Deja Vu Removal Begins At Six Flags Magic Mountain

By on 10/23/2011

Six Flags Magic Mountain Deja Vu logo

On September 1, 2011 Six Flags announced the new rides and attractions that will be coming to their parks for the 2012 season. One new ride that was mentioned was Goliath, a giant inverted boomerang (GIB), making its debut at Six Flags New England. Six Flags only had one GIB left in its portfolio of coasters, Deja Vu at Six Flags Magic Mountain, after already having gotten rid of three others due to unacceptable maintenance issues. Even though it wasn’t explicitly mentioned in the press release, it didn’t take a rocket scientist to realize that Six Flags Magic Mountain would be sending Deja Vu back East to be reborn as Goliath.

Six Flags Magic Mountain eventually confirmed that it would be removing Deja Vu, and it wasn’t much later that October 16th was announced as the last day that it would be operating. I just returned from a park visit this morning (Oct 23) and it’s already being dismantled. As you can see from this first photo, one piece of track has already been removed and the second piece is just hanging from a very tall crane. What looks like a smaller crane extended to the base of the piece is actually a platform for the workers:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Deja Vu Removal

Here is a close-up of that second piece being removed. If you look really close, you can see at least three guys working, most likely disconnecting the piece of track:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Deja Vu Removal

There were lots of people in hard hats working down below, keeping an eye on everything. This shot also shows you where they erected the construction wall across the midway. The tan piece of equipment is a forklift. They’ll bring the piece down to the ground here and the forklift will carry it around the ride to the dirt work area on the back side of Apocalypse:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Deja Vu Removal

This is a second crane that looks like it has been busy taking apart the loading station:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Deja Vu Removal

It’s hard to see in the photo, but there were several smaller blue pieces of the ride and some wood stacked up over on the side. I’m thinking these are part of the loading station that have already been removed:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Deja Vu Removal

The first piece of track that was removed was set in the dirt work yard on the back side of Apocalypse. I’m guessing that’s where the second piece will be heading as well:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Deja Vu Removal

I noticed this truck waiting behind the ride. My first thought was that it was for hauling the ride pieces out once they were removed. However, it seems to be there too early. Also, why would they stack the pieces elsewhere if the truck was already there? Now I’m thinking this may have been what the cranes were hauled in on:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Deja Vu Removal

I had to exit the Sky Tower during this operation because there was only one employee on duty and there were other people that wanted to go down. As we were descending, they started to lower the second piece to the ground. I was just barely able to capture this from the moving elevator, between all of the red struts flying in front of my lens:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Deja Vu Removal

As I approached the ride from the ground, they already had the second piece unhooked from the crane and it was going back up. You can just see the top of the forklift being extended to grab the piece that was removed so it can take it out back with the other:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Deja Vu Removal

This is what Deja Vu looks like with two pieces of track missing. I’m sure that once construction reaches this point at Six Flags New England, our friends at that park are going to be drooling in anticipation for them to hurry up and finish so they can ride it:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Deja Vu Removal

I’m not sure if this means anything or not, but there is a Bobcat and a backhoe on that small plot of land next to Deja Vu. I can’t imagine what they would be used for during the removal of the ride. Do you suppose Magic Mountain is up to something sneaky?

Six Flags Magic Mountain Deja Vu Removal

1. Evan

10/23/2011 at 9:10 pm

I’m thinking Premier 2013, just saying!

2. J

10/24/2011 at 10:20 pm

Wow, so fast to go. Thank you for the pics, hope you can get some more of the deconstruction. So sad to see it go imo…

3. Ryan O

10/25/2011 at 7:22 pm

I noticed those machines in the dirt lot last Friday, and I was thinking the same thing–hopefully those will be used for CONstruction, not DEstruction.

By the way, what camera do you use for these updates?

10/26/2011 at 7:12 am

What…you want me to give away my secret?!? I use an older Sony DSC-H1. It’s not much bigger than a point & shoot and has a built-in 12x optical zoom lens, giving me great close-up shots at a distance with no distortion from digital interpolation. I find the quality of the photos better then both my higher resolution Nikon point/shoot and my wife’s Sony Alpha DSLR. It’s a great little camera, even if it is getting kind of old.

4. Pingback: Deja Vu Removal Update #1 |

5. Spokker

11/05/2011 at 1:39 am

What’s the point of sending it elsewhere? Does it not attract riders in California?

11/05/2011 at 8:38 pm

It was actually a very popular ride, however it was prone to frequent breakdowns and very slow dispatch times. I think they chose to send it to SFNE where the crowds don’t get quite as large as they do here. That park also has a true off-season, where annual maintenance can take place without having to take the ride out of service. Lastly, that opens up quite a large space in the back corner of the park where they can put in a much larger coaster that can handle a higher volume. The park has always struggled attracting people to this area of the park and a larger, more thrilling coaster would definitely do that.

6. JJJ

11/05/2011 at 1:18 pm

I see superman is still lying around in the dirt

11/05/2011 at 8:43 pm

I’d like to see him cleaned up and put up in the museum. Did you see what they did with the old Gotham City statue? I can’t remember if it had graffiti on it or not, but it was used as part of the post-apocalyptic debris in their Fright Fest halloween maze The Aftermath. I’m sure it’ll end up rotting in the boneyard like all of their other discarded items. If they were smart, they’d sell stuff like that on eBay. I’m sure there are collectors out there that would love to have items like that.

11/09/2011 at 12:27 am

We already know that Lex Luthor’s Drop of Doom is coming to SFMM for 2012; I’ve been told that some sort of launched coaster is coming for 2013 in the area where Log Jammer is/was (however you want to look at it), but even though it came from a park employee, it’s hearsay until confirmed by an official park press release. My guess is that if anything is built in this area, it will be 2014 or later, unless the park surprises us with a multiple attraction opening as they’ve done before.

8. Dylan

11/12/2011 at 7:51 pm

sad to see them takeing it down becase i am an annual pass holder but hpfully they will give us a new coaster hpfully like eric seid it will be a launch

9. tony

06/06/2012 at 1:43 pm

i loved that ride so sad to see it go but if we gat any coaster please let it be mr. freeze!!!

06/07/2012 at 6:51 pm

I wouldn’t hold your breath on that wish. Magic Mountain isn’t exactly known for getting copies of rides that already exist at other parks. They like to set the trend and go for new records.

10. hunter

01/26/2013 at 5:12 pm

wow inever even got to go on it. as soon i was tall enogh they just have to go and tear it down. :[ my mom and i are big fans of magic mountan and we were hoping to go on it. i also herd that they are building a rollercoaster called FULL THROTLE and it has or will have the worlds largest loop in the world. also the lex luther drop of doom that is on the side of superman and goes allthe way to the top of superman thats just crazy thats 400 feet for criing out loud