Deja Vu Removal Update #3

By on 11/13/2011

Six Flags Magic Mountain Deja Vu logo

It’s been another whole week and another good chunk of the Deja Vu roller coaster has been removed at Six Flags Magic Mountain. The following photographs show the progress they have made since just last weekend.

This is all that’s left of the coaster, basically just the two towers:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Deja Vu Removal

I thought we’d see all of the track come off first and then the towers come down, but it looks like they’re bringing them down at the same time:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Deja Vu Removal

You’d never know there was a loading station here just a couple of short weeks ago. The curved blue platform you see was part of the deck that was under the track just as it entered the second tower:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Deja Vu Removal

Looks like they were getting ready to pull this support column out next:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Deja Vu Removal

This guy was hauling a recently removed column around the corner into the storage area. You can see him hooking it up to the forklift in the very first photo above:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Deja Vu Removal

I know they’re deep, but the footers don’t appear to provide much of a foundation when you see them by themselves. It’s very deceiving without the ride attached to them:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Deja Vu Removal

There are very few pieces of track that haven’t been shipped to Six Flags New England yet, but lots of the rest of the ride is waiting patiently to be picked up:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Deja Vu Removal

Six Flags Magic Mountain Deja Vu Removal

I saw this Bobcat driving around the lot. It looks like he has some sort of chisel on the front, perhaps for busting up some concrete. However I didn’t actually see him do anything with it. Also, the heavy rains we had the other night did not help their cause:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Deja Vu Removal

I have no idea what these are, but they’re carefully stacking them on lumber in the empty lot next door to keep them out of the mud:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Deja Vu Removal

Right as I was getting ready to leave, I heard the beeping of the lift as these guys were heading back up the tower to start removing more stuff. And for the record, that is one serious yellow crane behind them:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Deja Vu Removal

1. TJ

11/13/2011 at 7:14 pm

YAY!

2. Justin

11/14/2011 at 7:46 am

I was curious how they were going to bring the towers down – I guess there is always a bigger crane!

3. Andres

11/14/2011 at 1:32 pm

Hi There,

I been folowing up on your website for a long time. I work at Six Flags Magic Mountain. And I Suggest you start to reaserach on the BIG OVER HAUL for Collussus. It will look just like Taxas Gaint… And Based on the Lex Luther I am just Curious That Will be one Loud ride.

• Andres

11/14/2011 at 1:33 pm

ITs a Rumor in the office that is going on

11/14/2011 at 2:01 pm

Welcome to the site, Andres! I’ve been hearing lots of people say they would love to see a Rocky Mountain makeover on Colossus, just like they did on the Texas Giant, but none of my reliable park sources have heard a peep about it. After having rode the New Texas Giant this summer, I would love to see that transformation happen. Given the success in Texas, and the storied history of Colossus, I wouldn’t dismiss it from happening some day. However, I don’t see it happening for at least another 3-5 years, at the earliest.

• Andres

11/14/2011 at 10:52 pm

Hi,
        Have u also seen something funny about Colossus. they really one use the track on the left side. i love my job!!! ofcourse the Colossus thing is still a rumor that my team at the park has. Just asking does your site have anything about the old monorail ride. I haven’t heard anything about until two weeks ago that the park will simply remove anything that is not longer in use. Can you put a profile on the old monorail please.
        Thanks

11/15/2011 at 6:56 am

On a ride like Colossus, it doesn’t make sense for them to run multiple trains during times of low volume. They have to do mandatory maintenance on each train after so many cycles, so if they run two trains simultaneously at only 1/4 capacity, their maintenance costs will be twice as much as if they only run one train at 1/2 capacity. As far as the monorail is concerned, it’s gone. They sold all of the trains and spare parts to Hersheypark last year. Do a search on my site for ‘monorail’ and you’ll see the pics I took of them removing it. The guideway that still snakes through the park will remain there until they have a reason to remove it, for example if part of it is in the way of a new attraction being built. It’s very expensive to remove, and it’s up high and out of the way, so they really don’t have any reason to remove it until it’s necessary. I am working on a profile, but I’m still trying to gather some nice, older photos from when it was still in operation.