X2 Did Not Valley By Accident

By on 01/30/2012

I recently posted a story about an X2 train being valley’d during a routine test run at Six Flags Magic Mountain. Although the train did technically valley, the park claims it was completely planned as a training exercise. Here is an excerpt of an email I received today from Sue Carpenter, the Communications Manager for Six Flags Magic Mountain and Hurricane Harbor:

During the week when the park is closed, we put our coasters through certain scenarios.  One of the scenarios that you might have heard about was having a train valley.  We recently did it with X2 and you erroneously reported that the ride was down.  The ride was not down, we were performing scheduled testing.  The cranes were already in place ready to assist us with the different scenarios we had planned for the day.  This is standard operating procedures with theme parks.

I would like to apologize to Six Flags Magic Mountain for the miscommunication.

The Coaster Guy

1. Andrew

01/30/2012 at 6:42 pm

Well, I wonder when it will get its second train back. It wasn’t yesterday, and the line was over 2 hours!

2. Ryan O

01/30/2012 at 8:15 pm

I wonder how they “valleyed” the train then? Do you think they apply some sort of brakes onto the track?

• Andrew

01/30/2012 at 8:41 pm

That’s what I was wondering. Probably brakes. But why would they do that, knowing that it would make their most popular ride go down to 1 train? That line moves really slow. Like half the speed of Green Lantern’s line slow.

3. Charles

01/30/2012 at 8:37 pm

As a PR professional Sue should know that you do not use the word erroneously. It is a negative word and should not be used, unless it is politics. She should have used more appropriate language, especially when sending an email to a website that gives you free marketing.

• Zac

01/30/2012 at 9:51 pm

good, so i wasnt the only one that thought that was not very professional. and i believe x2 and many other rides are equipped with non rollback wheels, which is how it wa spossible for x2 to get stopped on an elevation. the non rollback wheels prevent the train from resting in a “unsafe” area for too long. (the flame launchers are very close to where x2 idled)

• Andrew

01/30/2012 at 9:54 pm

The flame launchers don’t come anywhere near the train, and they only go off for a second.

• Andrew

01/30/2012 at 9:52 pm

I think she just wanted to clearly state that it was an error and that it was not what happened. Even though it was a bit harsh, it did help strengthen the point that his report was false. Anyways, because of the report, it spread all over SFMM’s Facebook page and other fansites, and they just want it to go away.

4. Ryan

01/31/2012 at 7:10 am

SFMM was really harsh. I dont think that was the case because there is only one train running right now.

5. Bob

01/31/2012 at 6:17 pm

There are no breaks on the train. Just an ish’ load of wheels and heavy @#$ steel. It looks like the train there running currently was the vallyed train based off its number ID. From the line it looked like they were working on the one to the far right. I think the train to the far left is waiting to get rehabbed. Hopefully they’ll have the other train up and running for WestCoastBash.

6. Andrew

01/31/2012 at 9:52 pm

No, the train on the left in the rehab area is the one that valleyed. When I went the Sunday after the valley, the train on the left was in the same exact position as the one that had valleyed. The current train (#1) is just fine.

7. Chase

04/10/2012 at 6:08 pm

I’m pretty sure that the way they valleyed the train is by decreasing the lift hill speed. During my training at Ninja, I was told that we can’t open the ride if it is under 55 degrees because it would valley. We have to call maintenance and get them to come up and decide if we should open. I was told that if it was on the borderline they could increase the speed of the lift hill which would give it the extra momentum to carry it through the track. Since they can increase the speed, I assume they can decrease it as well.