UA-20143982-1 Monorail Station Demolition Has Begun - The Coaster Guy
How to make money online

Monorail Station Demolition Has Begun

By on 01/31/2012

I was just forwarded the following picture, showing the demolition of the High Sierra Territory monorail station at Six Flags Magic Mountain. Since Six Flags doesn’t typically spend money to demolish old buildings for no reason, especially one that is out of the way and hasn’t been touched in 11 years, they are definitely preparing for something. I’ll get over to the park this weekend and try to get an update. Leave a comment on what you think they’re making room for.

Six Flags Magic Mountain Monorail Station

Image © Donovan Boczko

1. Charles

01/31/2012 at 8:18 am

I remember my days back in the summer of 97 working at Sierra Falls and Bunny World hearing the spiel of the monorail a million times. Between that and the animal show next to my ride I was forever corrupted.

01/31/2012 at 10:41 am

It’s interesting that Log Jammer is now closed, Flashback was removed a few years back, and now the Whitewater Lake/High Sierra Territory (whichever they called it last) station of the Metro is the first part of the ride being removed. Put all three pieces of land together and that either means one GIANT attraction in a few years.

Personally, I’d always thought that Flashback’s old spot would have made for an expansion for Hurricane Harbor—and it still may, who knows? Perhaps the cleared Metro station and train maintenance area and Flashback spots will have one ride, while the Log Jammer area will have a second one. But for anyone who doubts that SFMM has no more room to expand, this is proof the quite the opposite is true.

01/31/2012 at 4:39 pm

I forgot to finish my sentence above. It should have read, “Put all three pieces of land together and that either means one GIANT attraction in a few years or a couple of decent sized ones.”

3. Brian

01/31/2012 at 12:30 pm

I still have the entire spiel memorized. That was my first ride location when I hired in in 1989. I met some of my best friends working at that ride.

4. caleb

01/31/2012 at 5:30 pm

I’m not quite sure where this is thinking about it…. when you go try to snap some pictures of surrounding areas!

5. Andrew

01/31/2012 at 9:56 pm

The Log Jammer queue is currently being demolished too. The queue rails and poles were removed as of as of Sunday. Also, all the Johnny Rockets signs on the “Johnny Rockets Shakes and fries” have been taken down. Now at both locations, it only says “Shakes and Fries”

• Zac

02/05/2012 at 8:24 pm

and the most awkward thing is we dont sell shakes anymore haha

6. Andres

01/31/2012 at 10:34 pm

Foe the company taking down the Jonny Rockets that was a issue with licensing going on. Now you guys, i work for six flags and i got a rumor that is slowly spreading out there which i know that it will make very everybody excited but its the surprise the park has been keeping from you guys

• Donovan B

02/01/2012 at 1:08 pm

Well, don’t be shy, fill us in!

• Jordan

02/01/2012 at 2:33 pm

will I still be able to get a hamburger at Rockets? or another place?
      And when are they expected to announce the new ride?

• Evan

02/02/2012 at 4:34 pm

They said around September when they closed Log Jammer.

• Zac

02/05/2012 at 8:25 pm

i work at the johnny rockets and they still have the main one open.

7. William

03/04/2012 at 11:55 am

Just out of curiosity, is the station which is being re-moved the actual station for the monorail or the train at the Top of Samurai Summit? It’s been 20 years since I last went to Magic Mountain. If memory serves me correct, there were 2 trains.

03/04/2012 at 2:54 pm

Hi William,

The monorail station that was just removed was one of three stations. This one was at the front of the park, just behind Mooseburger Lodge. The other two stations were located on the backside of the park, just past Center Ring games, and in the tunnel that goes through Samurai Summit, just under the old Laughing Dragon Pizza restaurant. The station in the tunnel has also just been removed but the one in the back of the park is still there.

In addition to the monorail, which was original to the park in 1971, there were also two traditional trains in the park over the years. The “Old 99” steam train was added in 1972 and ran a loop through Trollywood, the home of the park’s trolls, near where Whistlestop Park is today. The Grand Centennial Excursion Railway was added in 1975 and ran a circuit in the back of the park, with stations in Spillikin Corners and near where Batman sits today. The Old 99 train was removed in 1981 and the Grand Centennial was closed in 1985.