Trip Report For 26 Feb 2012

By on 02/26/2012

This is a photo trip report for Six Flags Magic Mountain that was taken on Sunday, February 2012.

The first update comes from the Lex Luthor: Drop of Doom construction. No visible progress on the Superman tower, however they did add more graphics to the construction walls:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Trip Report 26 Feb 2012

I’m impressed with this graphic. Way more than I think they’ve ever done before:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Trip Report 26 Feb 2012

It may be an ad, but I give them credit for even sprucing up the sides of the wall:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Trip Report 26 Feb 2012

I didn’t see a lot of changes with the remodel going on inside of Food, Etc., but they did get a new slurpee machine. Does this mean it’s going to be a new 7-11 inside there?

Six Flags Magic Mountain Trip Report 26 Feb 2012

I’m not sure if this is new or not, but last week I couldn’t help but notice how clean and bright the BBW sign was. It almost looks like it got a new paint job:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Trip Report 26 Feb 2012

I’m not sure what they’re planning, but there are several large trees marked for removal around the former Metro station that was recently torn down. I counted eight total:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Trip Report 26 Feb 2012

The monorail beam that had been cutoff and left hanging above the midway just outside of the Palace Arcade is completely gone. This bit of support is all that’s left:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Trip Report 26 Feb 2012

You can see the support stub from above on the left of this next picture. The monorail beam that crossed the midway and over the top of the arcade is completely gone:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Trip Report 26 Feb 2012

Crossing over the midway to the former Log Jammer site, it looks like a lot of grading has been done to level it out a bit:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Trip Report 26 Feb 2012

It looks like they were trying to protect some of the hillside with plastic, like they didn’t want it to wash away. We were expecting some light rains in the area, but they never came. Not sure if that’s what this was for or not, but it looks like it’s blowing away:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Trip Report 26 Feb 2012

There is a nice smooth path all the way to the tunnel now:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Trip Report 26 Feb 2012

I still can’t get used to seeing Gold Rusher so clearly on the front side of the hill:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Trip Report 26 Feb 2012

I think it’s pretty obvious they are going to re-purpose the Log Jammer station:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Trip Report 26 Feb 2012

This is the first marker of any kind that I have seen. It says “Gorian USA”, which is a reference to Gorian & Associates. They provide geotechnical engineering services, which means they test the earth and make recommendations on the footings necessary for heavy lateral loads, especially on hillsides. They’ve worked with Magic Mountain since the early days in helping them design proper footers for their roller coaster installations:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Trip Report 26 Feb 2012

Click here to see some history on Gorian & Associates working on Viper back in 1990.

This is the old entrance to the Metro station in the tunnel on the backside of the hill:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Trip Report 26 Feb 2012

As you can see, the monorail beam has been removed and the area has really opened up:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Trip Report 26 Feb 2012

With all the walls gone that were boarding it up, you can see daylight through it again:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Trip Report 26 Feb 2012

Lots of trees and bushes have been removed all around the tunnel on the back side of the hill, and not just to make room to remove the monorail. Something’s going here:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Trip Report 26 Feb 2012

From further back, you can see all the clearing they did. With this land, and all the land across the walkway all the way down to the closed Spin Out ride, there really is a lot of space to work with here. You can see the tunnel on the right:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Trip Report 26 Feb 2012

Looking back down the hill, you can see how far back the monorail beam has been removed. It now ends just above where Gold Rusher exits its station:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Trip Report 26 Feb 2012

Between the Log Jammer, Thrill Shot, and Metro removals, the guys with the cutting torches have been busy. Here’s what’s left of one of the Metro supports on the back hill:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Trip Report 26 Feb 2012

Here’s a short video of some of the things I talked about above:

1. Evan

02/26/2012 at 9:32 pm

Premier.

2. Evan

02/26/2012 at 9:34 pm

And I noticed the picture of Lex Luthor on the wall showed Superman completely red, what’s up with that?

• Evan

02/26/2012 at 9:39 pm

There is actually a few mistakes on that picture. The track on Superman is facing Goliath, the tower is completely red, the Superman logo is facing the side where the Superman track usually is, Revolution is too noticeable in the bottom corner.

02/27/2012 at 9:27 am

You probably couldn’t read it, but the text at the bottom says “SUPERMAN and all related characters and elements are trademarks of and © DC Comics.” Sounds like they either left somebody out or did a poor job at proofreading it before printing it.

3. caleb

02/26/2012 at 9:36 pm

Another great trip report, thanks. It looks like it’s definitely going to be a coaster that will definitely use the tunnel. The clearing of severe trees by the Metro station hints towards a flat too…. I can’t wait to go out there, my last trip was a month ago and already so much has changed!

4. Zach

02/26/2012 at 9:38 pm

Six Flags has started a new partnership with Slurpee. You are going to be seeing lots stores in the parks with them pretty soon.

5. Brendan

02/26/2012 at 9:59 pm

Love these updates! I’ve fallen in love with SFMM the last year or so, so these updates are fantastic! Thanks!

02/26/2012 at 10:25 pm

Many changes coming to this park…will we recognize it when it’s all done? Thanks for doing such a great job with the coverage, Kurt. It’s almost time to meet up with you again out there. You still have my brain to pick… 😉

7. Ezell

02/27/2012 at 12:36 pm

Thanks for the awesome updates this is the best place to get Six Flags Magic Mountain info!!!

8. Troy

02/28/2012 at 8:16 am

@Evan “Premier” dude enough were all aware that you predict one. You don’t need to say that in every single update.

• Evan

02/28/2012 at 5:33 pm

I’m sorry, I’ll stop now.

9. heath

06/08/2012 at 9:22 pm

Dear Kurt,
    Man thank you very kindly for posting these, if it werent for you us die hard fans wouldnt be able to see whats happening over there. Im a huge Magic junkie and have been going since the park opened, I usually make it down twice a year and hit the park for 2 to 3 days straight when Im there. Im really bummed they took out Metro as I was hopefull they would restore it, im just really big on leaving the originals that are part of my childhood.Whats craxy is that in may of 2011 I was leaving the park towards closing time and I just happened to observe to older gentlemen with a clipboard of paper work standing in the blast your buddy section at the bottom of thee log jammer and they pointing upwards to the old Four winds steakhouse and I asked them if they were palnnig to reopen the reateraunt and they replied that they were going to revamp the area but I had no I idea they were plannig to rip down the log jammer:(Yeah Im not likeing that so much as I really did enjoy it.Have you rode the new riddler coaster and if so how did you like it?Was the new Mr six ride open yet?Thanks again my freind-Heath

06/08/2012 at 9:41 pm

Thank you very much, Heath. I’m glad you like the site. I’m very nostalgic about the old rides as well, but we can’t live in the past forever. If the park never updated anything, it would eventually die. There’s a fine balance between old and new. That’s why I think it’s important to remember “the good old days,” whether through history books, photos, or even the museum they once had up in the Sky Tower.

The Riddler’s Revenge isn’t new. It’s now 14 years old. I bet you’re thinking of Green Lantern: First Flight, the Intamin ZacSpin coaster that was just added last year. Yes, I ride it all the time and think it’s quite fun. It’s a very different experience than your typical roller coaster. With regards to the Mr. Six ride, that’s now called Road Runner Express. It’s a junior coaster for younger kids. I’ve ridden it a few times. It’s a fun little starter coaster.