Lex Luthor: Drop Of Doom Pieces Have Begun To Arrive

By on 04/03/2012

Six Flags Magic Mountain Lex Luthor Drop of Doom Logo

The first pieces of the highly anticipated Lex Luthor: Drop of Doom ride at Six Flags Magic Mountain began to arrive by truck yesterday. They have been unloaded and stored in front of the park, at the base of Colossus.

One of the biggest questions people have had about this ride is what color it will be. The various pieces of conceptual art have showed colors drastically different then the Superman tower that it’s being attached to. However, based on these first few pieces, it looks like it will be the exact same blue that the tower is currently painted:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Lex Luthor Drop of Doom

Lots and lots of brackets, no doubt for bolting it securely to the tower:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Lex Luthor Drop of Doom

These pieces were interesting. Tubular steel at either end but square in the middle with something resembling rectangular mortises:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Lex Luthor Drop of Doom

More brackets. In the lower-right, there appear to be some brackets designed to connect to something round, like tubular steel:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Lex Luthor Drop of Doom

Several very long, square pieces of steel:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Lex Luthor Drop of Doom

The following photos were just sent to me showing the latest status at the base of the tower. These electrical panels will provide the required juice for the ride:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Lex Luthor Drop of Doom

With the heavy rains we had these past two weekends, they obviously didn’t take any chances and protected them the best they could:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Lex Luthor Drop of Doom

The front and the back look the same, just like the ride will:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Lex Luthor Drop of Doom

This last shot, courtesy of Six Flags Magic Mountain, is one of the two gondolas. There will be one of these one each side of the ride, for a total of 16 riders per drop:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Lex Luthor Drop of Doom

Image © Six Flags

So what do you think…who is getting excited to ride this now?

1. Kyle

04/03/2012 at 6:53 pm

Well its about time! I have been waiting to see what the pieces of the ride would look like. Now to convince my family to ride this massive ride when it opens. 🙂

2. caleb

04/03/2012 at 8:27 pm

AHHH CAN’T WAIT FOR THE OPENING OF THIS RIDE! You don’t know anything about media day date or opening date right?

3. joe

04/04/2012 at 12:41 am

My guess is that those ride pieces are going to be used to clamp on the ride…… Thats going to be VERY interesting to watch how they do it…. 😉 thanks for update by the way Kurt. I’ve been wanting to see what the ride pieces would look like. I hope to one day have a job as a rollercoaster designer and maybe go work for intamin… 🙂

• CoasterKings908

04/06/2012 at 8:09 pm

Joe is correct. LL:DOD will be clamped to the tower; no bolts or welds.

4. Ryan

04/04/2012 at 7:08 am

Finally!!!!!!!!! But I would say that the opening date is probably looking like it will be late June to early July.

04/04/2012 at 3:41 pm

Can you imagine if they’d have made this a <b.standup freefall? That would have been insane to say the least.

04/04/2012 at 3:41 pm

I meant “standup” freefall.

04/04/2012 at 4:00 pm

I’d still ride it.

6. Mike Ford

04/04/2012 at 4:31 pm

I can’t wait to find out when this Lex Luthor: Drop of Doom is going to open. I’m somewhat hoping it could be earlier in June. I’m hoping I can plan a trip where I can catch this, and the new Carsland down the road at Disney California Adventure. Last year it was experiencing Superman: Escape from Krypton, Green Lantern, the new Star Tours, and the new Little Mermaid ride as far as experiencing newbies in each park.

04/05/2012 at 7:52 pm

Carsland is opening June 15, I believe, so that may increase your chances of getting to ride Lex Luthor and see everything at DCA. The Matterhorn is also supposed to reopen about that time with the new bobsleds, so there’ll be plenty for you to do when you get here.

7. Alex V.

04/04/2012 at 4:57 pm

Wow i am so excited, my question iz? Iz that gondola gunna fit on the track of superman itself??

04/04/2012 at 5:09 pm

Oh no. The gondolas are going to be attached on either side of the tower that the track is connected to. In other words, if you’re sitting in one of the Superman cars as it approaches the top of the track, the gondolas will be going up and down the sides of the tower on your left and right.

8. Pingback: Anonymous

9. jay

04/06/2012 at 1:22 am

if the ride is slated to open in may, i would have thought these would have arrived much earlier

• Damien Nguyen-Tran

04/07/2012 at 10:49 am

Remember what Kurt says to me the bad weather makes the opening date delay.

10. Damien Nguyen-Tran

04/07/2012 at 10:48 am

Is it almost finished?

• Damien Nguyen-Tran

04/07/2012 at 10:56 am

I am excited for that ride.

11. Damien Nguyen-Tran

04/07/2012 at 4:56 pm

Channel ThemeParkPOVs scheduled that the ride will open may 18th. Here’s the link:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86FNPZZCKIE&feature=plcp&context=C4dc51b3VDvjVQa1PpcFNkY6lveUNCP7CSGIunT6K4MtBXHRwJJyo%3D

12. mike

04/09/2012 at 7:08 pm

Saw a bunch of big red beams today in same area as blue beams. Seemed like the workers built up the blue beams or set the “brackets” on the beams … heck I don’t know but red beams are sitting there.

04/09/2012 at 8:08 pm

So I’m guessing that everything that attaches to the tower is red and blue, to blend in with what’s already there. It must only be the gondolas that are different colors so they stand out more as they are going up and down the side of the tower.

13. Sean

04/12/2012 at 7:15 pm

I’m so excited to ride Lex Luthor, when I drove down the hill this morning (I live in Valencia) I saw them working with the helicopter to add the pieces to the tower, amazing work that they do! Can someone reply if they know when the mediaday or openingday is? I do not want to miss out on that one!! 🙂

04/12/2012 at 8:16 pm

The park has not announced any dates as of yet for either event.

14. Jacob

04/13/2012 at 7:48 am

I can’t wait to ride this over summer break!! But how s it suppose to open May 18th if the pieces like just arrived?

15. BEN DROWNED/WEEGEE

04/17/2012 at 5:41 pm

I’m angry i’m going tomorrow with my school 🙁 . Good thing there is a chance that I may be going to knots and six-flags in the summer.

16. TREVOR KNOTT

05/11/2012 at 6:40 am

THE RIDE IS LOOK LIKE THIS
    The Giant Drop – Dreamworld AUSTRALIA
    POV OF The Giant Drop – Dreamworld AUSTRALIA http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bD268OKmzpo
    I AM FROM AUSTRALIA

05/11/2012 at 7:07 am

That’s because it is. It’s the same ride, from the same manufacturer, attached to a slightly different tower. The only real difference between the two is that Lex Luthor will be slightly higher by about 10 feet.

• TREVOR KNOTT