Lex Luthor: Drop Of Doom Construction Update #1

By on 05/10/2012

Six Flags Magic Mountain Lex Luthor Drop of Doom Logo

I’ve been getting enough specific requests for updates on the Lex Luthor: Drop of Doom installation going on at Six Flags Magic Mountain that I’ve decided to just start doing dedicated construction updates. I realize this isn’t really the first update that I’ve done on this construction project, but I had to start the numbering sequence somewhere.

The queue has been completely wrapped in tar paper to weatherproof it and chicken wire, or whatever you call it, is starting to be applied on top of that, presumably for stucco or some other similar exterior finish:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Lex Luthor Drop of Doom

The same is being done for the new elements on the paintball gallery next to it:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Lex Luthor Drop of Doom

The Daily Planet gift shop has been covered in standard wood siding:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Lex Luthor Drop of Doom

It looks like the entire building has been sealed up with the new siding:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Lex Luthor Drop of Doom

The entire track has been installed all the way to the top on both sides. It’s hard to make out here, but one of those red reels I spotted behind Colossus the other week can just be seen at the very top of the rails:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Lex Luthor Drop of Doom

By pulling back a little bit and looking at the other side, the reel at the top becomes easier to see. There were crews working at the top on both sides of the tower today:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Lex Luthor Drop of Doom

The very loud pounding of a pneumatic impact wrench drew my eyeballs to these guys, who were definitely bolting something down tight about halfway up the tower:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Lex Luthor Drop of Doom

A regular reader of this site postulated that these large silver fins might be a part of the braking system and I would tend to agree with him. This is what they look like and they start about two-thirds of the way down the tower:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Lex Luthor Drop of Doom

The single fin from the above photo extends all the way to the ground. Somewhere along the way, a second fin gets added to the mix and also extends all the way to the ground. I’m thinking that must be a failsafe, backup braking mechanism:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Lex Luthor Drop of Doom

Most of the photos of the rails have been from the sides, and it’s been somewhat difficult to make out what’s what. This next photo clearly shows the two rails running in parallel with each other and where that fin sits in relation to them:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Lex Luthor Drop of Doom

Based on the above photo, I appear to have been mistaken in a comment response I gave to someone from last week’s post. The two rails are close enough together that they are only attached to the cross beams that stick through the tower. Neither of the two rails are attached directly to the tower at all.

This next photo shows just how far the entire track assembly sticks out from the tower, which is the blue piece on the right. It also shows a brace attached to the back of the two rails and what appears to be a strut on the far side of the brace that most likely attaches to the tower for additional stability. The brace looks bent, but it’s only an optical illusion because the end of it is cut at an angle. If you look close, you’ll see a black bolt inside with a cotter pin. I’m guessing that’s where the strut for this side will be attached. These types of struts, placed on both sides up and down the rails, would prevent the track assembly from twisting left and right:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Lex Luthor Drop of Doom

You saw the bottom of one side above. Here’s a shot of the bottom of the other side:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Lex Luthor Drop of Doom

I did not see that piece that was offset from last week, so I presume they fixed it:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Lex Luthor Drop of Doom

As I was walking down towards Colossus, I couldn’t help but notice that they removed part of the backstage wall close to where the construction is taking place:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Lex Luthor Drop of Doom

It looks like they extended the pad for more electrical equipment to be installed:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Lex Luthor Drop of Doom

As you can see from all the tire tracks, this part of the midway is the only way for the construction vehicles to get in and out of the construction area:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Lex Luthor Drop of Doom

With that part of the wall removed, there is a nice view into the construction area:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Lex Luthor Drop of Doom

So I thought this was interesting. You’ve all seen photos similar to this next one, with all of the new electrical conduit being installed at the base of the tower. I always assumed that it was fairly close to the tower, just because it looks like it is:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Lex Luthor Drop of Doom

However, this new side view shows just how far away it really is. Holy cow! Once I thought about it, I realized that they needed a path to get people to and from that far gondola, so I presume that the queue line will extend under these electrical runs:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Lex Luthor Drop of Doom

Lastly, I saw several pallets of blue and red parts sitting close to the tower. Based on the colors, some will go high and some will go low. In an earlier post, I had a photo of what appeared to be lots of blue and red shock absorbers sitting in front of Colossus. These almost look like something those might attach to, but I have have no idea what for:

1. Josh

05/10/2012 at 9:43 pm

Thanks for the update!

I didn’t realize that the Lex Luthor track wouldn’t go all the way to the top of the tower. I think it looks a bit odd ending one section short of the top.

• Myles

05/10/2012 at 10:39 pm

I was thinking the same thing. But I guess since the way that the SEFK tower is built, it wouldn’t be room to add another track piece without having any support from the tower. I just can’t wait til this opens.

• William

05/13/2012 at 11:39 am

Let’s not forget, the very top of the Superman and Lex Luthor structure is 415 feet. The track cannot get all the way up due to probably needing space for the area inbteween which will release the Gondola as it free falls. If you look closely,there is a a re is a good 10-15 feet between where the track ends from the top. This makes all the sense in the world, and I’m sure where the track ends at the top is 400 feet. The Rides stated as being 400 feet, not 415, so if that’s the number which it states, I take their word for it. Great progress made, even if it does not debut right on May 18th, it wont be too long folks. What looks like needs more work, is the Queue area, and I’m sure the Gondolas will be ready anytime soon.

05/10/2012 at 11:29 pm

This is no doubt the best coverage of the construction of Lex Luthor: Drop of Doom that I’ve seen anywhere. Keep up the good work!

3. Robert

05/11/2012 at 9:39 am

LOL Not only is it the best coverage it’s about the only coverage I’ve seen, Anyways big thanks goes out to Kurt for taking out of his time to give us such great coverage of this insane looking ride. waq

4. Robert

05/11/2012 at 9:51 am

LOL Not only is it the best coverage it’s about the only coverage I’ve seen, big thanks goes out to Kurt for taking out of his time to give us such great coverage of this insane looking ride, the ride profiles, and updates of the park in general.

Even though it doesn’t go all the way to the top I’m sure that extra little 10-15 feet of height will be unnoticeable when your up there, especially sitting on the edge of that gondola 400 feet in the air!!!

5. Victor

05/11/2012 at 1:14 pm

i would have to agree with the others that this is great coverage i got excited when i saw the heading “lex luthor construction update” on the home page because I can’t seem to find anyone else with anything though i will be there on Sunday. Thanks for the great update.

6. Jacob

05/11/2012 at 3:48 pm

Awesome! do you think you could include a full shot of the tower in your next post. just to see what it all looks like.

05/11/2012 at 4:40 pm

Sure thing.

• Jacob

05/17/2012 at 1:21 pm

Thanks!

7. Alex

05/11/2012 at 4:32 pm

once the ride is testing will superman be running again?

05/11/2012 at 4:40 pm

That is a very good question, Alex. You would think it would be, but I’m going to say no. You never know what they’re going to find during testing that needs to be fixed, and the last thing they want is the Superman cars flying up the track as they’re tweaking Lex Luthor. I suspect Superman will re-open the same day that Lex Luthor opens to the public.

• Thomas

05/12/2012 at 1:28 pm

I would almost think they are going to have trouble with both rides operating at the same time. Has this ever been done anywhere else?

BTW, great site. Came across it by accident and now I check in all the time.

• William

05/12/2012 at 3:56 pm

Yes it has been somewhere else, it was done in Australias Dream World Gold Coast, for the 2 rides Tower of Terror and Giant Drop, which are both attached to the same structure. The ride in Australia looks quite different and Lex Luthor would be be some few feet taller making Lex Lutor the highest vertical drop ride anywhere.

8. William

05/12/2012 at 4:00 pm

Thanks Kurt, Great updates as always and glad to see they got the 1 part fixed which stressed concern over a week ago or so. Always appreciate your hard work, and updating all of us.Thanks again.

9. William

05/13/2012 at 8:31 pm

When all is said and done, and this Rides ready to debut, Is the Top of the Tower going to be or look just as it does, or will there be some other parts they are going to actually use to cover the very top, as they show in the animated video? Are the 2 reels on both sides, going to be covered so people do not see them?

05/14/2012 at 8:35 am

I have no idea. We’ll just have to wait and see.

10. Alex

05/14/2012 at 12:19 am

Dude your amazing… Six flags or a newspaper should hire you at 400k/yr and it still wouldn’t justify all the hard work you do.. Just one off topic question? Ever been to Cedar Point in Sandusky, Ohio?

05/14/2012 at 8:40 am

Thank you, Alex. We drove past Cedar Point last summer and wanted to stop, but we were on a Six Flags-sponsored tour of their parks across the country (www.coastertocoastertour.com) and didn’t feel that it would be appropriate to stop. However, it’s high on my list of parks to visit. Of course, if Cedar Fair is looking for a family to send on a tour of their parks… 😉

• William

05/14/2012 at 1:57 pm

ditto, I agree with the above poster suggesting you Kurt, should get a position in writting for a paper and picture taking. Best coverage of Lex Luthor thus far. Thanks Kurt.

11. Luis

05/14/2012 at 3:01 pm

Just wanted to say excellent updates on your website and an amazing job, but a quick question: Is the scheduled debut suppose to be this Friday May 18?

05/14/2012 at 11:10 pm

Scheduled debut of what…Lex Luthor? It sure won’t be this Friday. The park has not announced an opening date yet.

• William

05/16/2012 at 3:05 pm

Not a Chance! It wont be May 18th, just simply because they dont even have the whole queue area done yet and still need a good week and half to test Lex Luthor, and possibly test both rides on how they will operate at the same time. Honestly, I cant see the Opening debut for this ride until next month, 2nd week of June most likely. The Crew has done a great job so far, and in such a short time and while they may have gotten started on it late, I cant see this opening until mid June to be exact. If it takes them that long or a little longer, so long as the ride is safe and all the stars align correctly, all is fine by me. So, middle to late June would be a safe bet.

12. Bob winek

05/15/2012 at 3:30 pm

I was looking on google today for pictures of LLDOD and I saw a car that looked like it was for the ride is that a real pic

13. Troy

05/17/2012 at 7:20 am

Cough…. Stop lagging on updates….cough

05/17/2012 at 8:09 am

Sorry, Troy. Having a day job to make a living really cuts into the amount of time I have to play. However, I am heading over to the park today for another update. I suppose this is a bad time to mention that I’m heading out of state for work tomorrow and won’t be able to provide any updates over the next week, huh?

14. Troy

05/17/2012 at 9:17 am

Haha completely understand, just messing around.