Lex Luthor Gondola Is On The Track

By on 05/29/2012
Six Flags Magic Mountain Lex Luthor Drop of Doom

Image (C) Six Flags

Six Flags Magic Mountain removed the construction walls around the Lex Luthor: Drop of Doom build today and installed the first gondola onto the track. The above photo was just posted by the park to their Facebook page (here). You can see the second gondola sitting just to the right of the tower. I hope to make it to the park in the next day or two to get a status update.

1. Myles

05/29/2012 at 10:22 pm

AAAAAAH!!!! IT’S ABOUT TIME 😀

2. J.D. Walters

05/30/2012 at 11:56 am

I CANNOT WAIT!!! AAAAHHHH!!!

3. Alexandro

05/30/2012 at 1:53 pm

is it testing now?

05/30/2012 at 4:29 pm

I’m sure it will be within the next week or so.

4. Will P

05/30/2012 at 3:57 pm

Sweet! Looks Great and ready to go.

Just 1 item of little concern, and that being that wasn’t the name Lex Luthor supposed to be on the Gondolas, just above the riders? I thought they would have painted that on before placing the cars on the tracks. Or, maybe they will just use a sticker. As far as the restraints, they look just as the restraints on the new Superman cars, or very similar alike.

I was both anticipating and hoping that the people sitting on the far ends could get just a bit of a better veiw, but understand the reason for those Silver gaurds on the sides, as all 2nd and 3rd generation Free Fall Drop Towers have them mounted in the sides.

All in all, im impressed and Love what I see. Way to Go!

05/30/2012 at 4:30 pm

I’m sure they’re just stickers and will be added later, after the construction guys are done manhandling the gondolas.

• Will P

05/30/2012 at 7:03 pm

Thanks! At first I was like, Where’s the name of the ride, on the cars, but then it struck me later, that they may just stick those on.

Thanks again for the updates and this recent update. Also, these restraints look more accomodating for just about anyone. Those restraints which are too closed in, or have little space inbetween, prevent you from enjoying the whole ride experience.

Everythings looking great so far.

5. Nicholas

05/30/2012 at 8:20 pm

Hey kurt i dont think thats a gondola on the right, i think that might be the catch car haha

• Myles

05/31/2012 at 10:38 pm

no it’s the other gondola

6. Mamba

05/30/2012 at 8:56 pm

Off topic but Does anyone know if the rumor about the record breaking loop beginning at one end of the tunnel and ending out the other side?

05/31/2012 at 1:58 pm

Just a rumor at this point.

05/30/2012 at 10:36 pm

Those restraints remind me of the ones on the new Manta ride at SeaWorld (which I rode last week at media day). Sort of an “overhead lap bar,” where the part that looks like it goes over the shoulders will actually not make contact, but will have a firm grip on your lap. If that’s the case, it’s going to make for some very interesting forces during your trip down the tower.

8. Ryan O

05/30/2012 at 11:15 pm

I was there today and was surprised to see the construction walls taken down. The queue building(s) is quite large, I’m interested to see what that includes.

9. Shaun b

05/30/2012 at 11:51 pm

Do you think the breaks on this ride will make the same noise as giant drop in Australia?

• William P.

05/31/2012 at 1:50 pm

My guess would be no! The reason I say that is because Supermans structure does not have the same track as all the other Drop Towers, which are usually circular in shape and where the drop tracks are mountain directly onto the towers.

I could be wrong, but I’m just making my guess based on Supermans track looking much different than the rest of the Drop Towers. As far as when the ride will brake, there are articles about Lex Luthor which stated the ride will Stop or brake just a few feet from the ground. The way I take it, If I had to bet, I’d say the ride will start to break when it’s around 70 feet off the ground and will come to a complete Stop 20 feet before stopping completely. There’s just no way this thing will start to break just a few feet from the ground.

05/31/2012 at 1:57 pm

I personally hope this thing doesn’t “break” during any drop, especially one that I’m on. As longs as the “brakes” kick in and stop the gondola before it hits bottom, I’ll be happy. 🙂

• Shaun b

05/31/2012 at 6:00 pm

Oops. I meant brakes not breaks lol

10. josh freund

05/31/2012 at 4:02 pm

ok, C.P announced their 2013 winged coaster and its going to be epic im sure, so assuming “full throttle” is more than just a rumor it better be good like real good, i mean amazing, mindblowing! did i mention it better be good? so do your homework.With the removal of deja vu and the best log flume ever anywhere “full throttle” will have alot to live up to. lets get a best coaster award already and not top ten either. we need a strong #1
    i understand this is not an offical six flags page but if you are reading this and you are offical six flags people. take heed

• Myles

05/31/2012 at 10:41 pm

I am so with you on this. but Since dejavu is gone they still have its sign up, so are they going to build another coaster using its same name you think?

• William P.

06/01/2012 at 3:05 pm

Sorry folks, I meant Brakes, as in slow down, not break apart. Thanks for the correction.

06/01/2012 at 7:58 pm

I don’t think we’ll see another coaster named Deja Vu at SFMM for quite some time, if ever.

11. Jacob