Lex Luthor: Drop Of Doom Construction Update #4

By on 06/01/2012

Six Flags Magic Mountain Lex Luthor Drop of Doom Logo

This is an update on the construction of Lex Luthor: Drop of Doom located at Six Flags Magic Mountain from 1 June 2012.

Although construction is not yet finished, the construction walls came down a few days ago. For some reason, the queue building now looks a bit smaller to me. I think it’s just because my imagination was running wild while the walls were still up. As you can see, there is still quite a bit of work going on around the building:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Lex Luthor Drop of Doom

I’ve heard from a park insider that one of the construction trucks took out part of the construction wall. Rather than rebuild it with the ride being so close to being finished, they just decided to take the rest of it down.

If you look at it from just the right angle, all of the construction work is hidden and it looks quite nice. However, I still feel the building and the sign clash:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Lex Luthor Drop of Doom

With the wall down, you can see that they have removed all of the concrete:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Lex Luthor Drop of Doom

The front door was open and you could see the queue switchbacks inside. There was a worker using a grinder on the poles, probably smoothing the welds:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Lex Luthor Drop of Doom

I apologize for the blurry pics. It was so bright outside, and pitch black inside the building, I was having a very hard time focusing. Here you can see Lex Luthor’s suit inside as a theming element, as well as a bunch of green LED lighting:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Lex Luthor Drop of Doom

Angry Birds: Magic Mountain Edition? I’ve heard from another park insider that paintball is done at the park. The new game to reside in this space is going to be a slingshot type game, similar to Angry Birds. The slingshots are supposed to be like what you would use to launch a water balloon. Park employees have reported seeing the slingshots being tested. No idea what the targets or ammunition will be, but I think it sounds like fun:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Lex Luthor Drop of Doom

The exterior of the Daily Planet gift shop looks complete, other than a sign and maybe some lights. What I don’t understand is why the queue building, former paintball gallery, and the gift shop are all right next to each other and themed to the same characters, yet they each have a completely different paint scheme:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Lex Luthor Drop of Doom

The entire back of the inside is slat wall. The silver strips are where different types of brackets can be inserted for things like shelves and shirt racks to display merchandise. It looks like the flooring needs to be added and the space should be complete:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Lex Luthor Drop of Doom

With the construction wall down, there is a clear view of one side of the tower between the gallery and the gift shot. I’m hoping they put in a nice viewing area where people can stand and watch people drop to their doom:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Lex Luthor Drop of Doom

Here is a closer shot of the gondola. It looks like the restraint system is a combination of a lap bar and a leg divider built into the seat. Between the two, nobody should theoretically be able to get out of their seat:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Lex Luthor Drop of Doom

Pulling back just a bit, you can now see the catch car attached to the top of the gondola. The catch car is used to grab the gondola and pull it to the top of the ride:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Lex Luthor Drop of Doom

Close-up view of the catch car. Notice there are no cables attached to it yet:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Lex Luthor Drop of Doom

From the new vantage point, you can really see how the cable drum is nestled inside the tower. You can also see the second gondola attached to the other side of the tower:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Lex Luthor Drop of Doom

Here is the second gondola attached to the track, as seen from the back of the tower:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Lex Luthor Drop of Doom

This is as close as I could get to one of the gondolas. I’m guessing the hydraulic struts behind each seat will be used for the lap bars as they swing up and down:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Lex Luthor Drop of Doom

This is a close-up of the second gondola’s catch car. It looks like they are using hydraulics. You suppose that’s for the grab and release functionality or the brakes? You’ll also notice there are no cables yet on this side either:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Lex Luthor Drop of Doom

This is how close the gondola gets to the ground:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Lex Luthor Drop of Doom

Lots of temporary cables stretching out in all directions holding things in place. At least they’re using the steel tower and not a flimsy little tree like last week:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Lex Luthor Drop of Doom

Anyone know what this is? I spotted this about a third of the way up the track:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Lex Luthor Drop of Doom

Whatever it is, the guys were installing another one on the other side:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Lex Luthor Drop of Doom

Still no indication as to where the line will exit the building and head towards the ride:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Lex Luthor Drop of Doom

Still a couple of pieces lying around, but not very many:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Lex Luthor Drop of Doom

New metal posts have been installed to replace the fence in front of the service road:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Lex Luthor Drop of Doom

The frame for the new gate has been installed as well:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Lex Luthor Drop of Doom

The park has just announced that Saturday, June 30th will be the official opening date for Lex Luthor: Drop of Doom. Yay…we finally have a date!!

1. Shaun b

06/01/2012 at 4:38 pm

Opening date has been announced! JUNE 30th!!!

2. William P.

06/01/2012 at 4:54 pm

Thanks Kurt, all looks great so far, and things these last couple months especially, have really started to kick into full gear. June 30th sounds good to me. I figured Mid June to early July, and so long as all parts are place, it’s nice to finally have a Starting date. The Gondolas look sweet and things will only continue to develop and get done.

Did anyone from the Park say as to wheather they will leave an open space for people to board the ride and where other patrons can watch the cars go up and down? I mean, like once you reach tyhe boarding area, are they going to leave that space open?

I’m curious to see how the Line for the Ride will work. I take it they will do like they do for other rides and have some Pop or Water machines for thirsty guests. Not that I would by 1 bottle soda for $3.50-4.50, or whatever the prices have gotten as of late, but just saying.

3. William P.

06/01/2012 at 4:58 pm

From where the Line begins until it ends is what will be most interesting to me. It does not seem as though there’s alot of space around that area, but we’ll see. I’m even guessing, it would not surprise me if some of the Line for Lex Luthor, somewhat ends up underneath Goliath. People will ride this ride and that’s what interests me.

06/01/2012 at 8:00 pm

You know that the line for the ride is inside the building, right? It kind of sounds like you think it’s going to snake around the outside of the building.

• Will P.

06/02/2012 at 12:25 pm

Thanks for clerfying that Kurt, it’s just that from the Outside of the queue building, it looked too small to fit so many bodies into it. I thought for sure, the line would stretch out a bit to where your also outdoors for part of the wait.

Thanks again!

4. William P.

06/01/2012 at 5:14 pm

If I had to also guess what that was which you were curious about 2/3’s the way up, I’m guessing that was and is what the Catch car get’s clipped onto. That was probably seen like before they placed the Catch car over it. Just my guess.

06/01/2012 at 8:04 pm

No, the lift cables get attached to the two cylinders you see coming directly out the top of the catch car. I took the picture of the blue piece at the same time I took the picture of the catch car. They were both on the track at the same time.

5. Zac

06/01/2012 at 9:59 pm

i think they are still going to paint the queue building. that grey color is poorly painted over the wood piece. After what the park transfomed gotham city into, I dont think they are ever going to go back to crummy, bland colors

06/01/2012 at 10:18 pm

I hope you’re right, but I honestly don’t think so. I highly doubt they would mount the main sign to the building before all of the painting was done. You should also note that the blue/grey stucco is the main color for both the queue building and the former paintball gallery attached to it. Since they both already have their trim painted, and the trim is the last thing you paint, I’m again led to believe that what we see is the final color scheme.

6. josh

06/01/2012 at 11:22 pm

maybe the rams behind the seats tilt the seats forward before release but without shoulder harnesses i guess that would be pretty sketchy

7. josh

06/01/2012 at 11:26 pm

seems as though the catch car/gondola combination are 15 to 20 feet tall , seeing as how the tower is 415 feet and the drop track is short of the top by say 15 feet is the drop really 380 feet, no longer the tallest drop ride

• Someone

06/02/2012 at 1:55 am

Dont mean to argue, but I’m guessing that the giant drop in Australia, since the track is 390 feet tall, and intamin also built it with the same cars and system, that ride has a free fall of 370 feet. No argument intended

• Chris

06/02/2012 at 2:13 am

That same logic can apply to Giant Drop at DreamWorld Australia too then. Since both rides use the same exact ride vehicles. Giant Drop’s overall structure is 390′, factor in that the drop is actually shorter accounting for the cap at the top, at around 377′, so by default, Lex Luthor would still be the tallest drop tower anyway. Nice try.

• Someone

06/04/2012 at 11:06 pm

Thanks for clearing up my last comment

8. josh

06/02/2012 at 8:24 am

i wasn”t trying to degrade “drop of doom” magic mountain is my home park and its going to be an amazing ride. was just food for thought.

• Ryan O

06/02/2012 at 2:33 pm

No worries, I was also wondering how this would be taller than Giant Drop. It seems that the towers should be the same height. But if you think about it, the launch track on Superman is 20+ feet above ground level, which adds to the height of the tower.

9. Michael

06/02/2012 at 8:32 am

I wonder how long the line will get. I say about 2 hours in the summer. Anyone else have any other guesses?

• Will P.

06/02/2012 at 12:38 pm

Mike, I’m going to say Longer than 2 Hours, especially because it’s a New ride, New attraction, it will get many people to flock to it for it’s debut June 30th, in just a few more weeks. Dont also forget the patrons at this park are mostly younger people and young adults. Not to mention your younger crowds of College and High school ages which will flock to this ride the second the Ride opens.

Though, over time, once the ride has been around a few years, and something else is already built like that Super coaster, that’s when I can see your bet of 2 Hours, being more realistic. I always tend to add another Half an Hour to an Hour onto whatever ride I plan on riding or when standing in line for.

You would think Logic would tell you that not everyone would want to wait 3 1/2 – 4 + Hours for such a ride, when you have Tatsu, Goliath, Scream, Viper, Riddlers Revenge, Revolution and Colossus and Batman, but I have always found that reasoning for whatever reason not to work most of the time. Unfortunately. It always seems whatever you most feel like riding at that minute, it so seems the whole world will join in as well.

• Will P.

06/02/2012 at 12:50 pm

How can I also forget Superman which Lex Luthor is attached to, Riddlers Revenge, X2, Green Lantern and Ninja as well?

10. pato loco

06/02/2012 at 9:58 am

Why is the construction delaying so long???!!!
    This is my 2º time at Magic Mountain. The first time I missed superman by a couple of weeks because they were reversing it.
    In one week I’ll be in LA for the 2º time until 6/15 and again, I’ll miss superman fuck!!
    The worst is that I live in Argentina and Six Flags is far far from home 🙁 I guess I’ll never try neither Superman nor Lex Luthor’s
    On the other hand I’ll be visiting Cedar Point 😀

11. Will P.

06/02/2012 at 12:54 pm

You know folks, looking at these New restraints for Lex Luthor, are some folks going to be able to hold onto them at all, because they look quite wide apart to hold onto. Unless you try holding onto the part that starts to curve towards your legs. I’m not gonna lie, I Love the feeling of being Free, but at the same time, I still always prefer a little something to hold onto when I’m that high, as 400 feet up.

• Myles

06/02/2012 at 5:30 pm

If you look closely you can see there’s a lap bar along with the restraint. I love that “I have nothing to hold on to” feeling on rides like this.

12. Pingback: Anonymous

13. Greg

06/02/2012 at 5:08 pm

I’m thinking the blue part you were curious about part way up the tower is a cable stabilizer. A tower that tall will give the cables a lot of room to get out of control in the wind. It probably will have loop holes the cables will thread through and when the catch car comes up it will travel up with it. Notice the little spring loaded bumpers on bottom? Likely to absorb the impact when it meets the catch car.

06/02/2012 at 10:17 pm

That’s actually very logical and I bet you’re right, Greg. Great observation!

14. T

06/03/2012 at 4:23 am

Do we think that Superman Escape From… will be open before the open of Drop of Doom? That means two of the biggest rides of the park will be closed for 1/3 of the season. Not cool.

06/03/2012 at 5:02 pm

No, the park has already said that Superman will not reopen until Lex Luthor opens. It’s a small price to pay for getting another world record breaking ride.

15. Andrew

06/03/2012 at 5:55 pm

Hurricane Harbor now has The Flash Pass! All of the ride lines have been repositioned.
    Check it out!

16. William P.

06/05/2012 at 6:14 pm

Looking at Lex Luthor from a distance and even right in front of the Tower and in many of the pics, it almost looks as if the tracks really are directly clamped onto the Tower. Infact, when you take a close look at the pic which Six Flags posted onto their FB website with the Gondola being added, the whole ride from the bottom with the gondola on it, looks just like the Animated version from the video, except that the tracks look quite different. It’s not until you see the track from the side, in Kurts earlier Update pics, where you can tell the track sticks out a bit.

Also, I hear certain people making comparisons to the track being Clamped on vs. had it been Welded on. Can anyone here give or try to give a good reason why the Tracks or rails were Not Welded on, and what would have been that much different had they been Welded ,as opposed to being clamped on? I’d Love to know why this is.

Thanks!

• William P.

06/05/2012 at 6:26 pm

Also, As far as the Queue building which is still being worked on, after looking at the color they went along with, the faded Grey was not that bad of an idea, but I certainly would have gone with either just Purple stripes or Green and Purple as opposed to that ugly faded Orange color which really does not fit the theme of Superman or Lex Luthor at all. Grey and Orange just dont match nor clash very nicely.

Anyway, Thanks again.

06/07/2012 at 6:47 pm

The heat required to weld one piece of metal to another has the potential to change the structural integrity of the metal. With the forces applied to the tower when the Superman cars blast up to the top at 100 MPH, they couldn’t afford to take that chance. By clamping on Lex Luthor, there is no risk of changing the structural integrity of the tower.

• Will P.

06/07/2012 at 6:59 pm

Thanks for the response, very interesting and well said. It all makes sense. Thanks again!

17. Glen

06/20/2012 at 11:08 pm

With regards to the thing half way down the track, its a sensor piece for which once it drops and reaches that mark, There will be some sort of camera that takes your shot. Well thats what we have in australia on our giant drop, and it looks alot the same

18. Ben