Lex Luthor: Drop Of Doom Construction Update #6

By on 06/21/2012

Six Flags Magic Mountain Lex Luthor Drop of Doom Logo

I’ve been out of town and on vacation over the course of the last couple of weeks, so I haven’t been to Six Flags Magic Mountain lately. However, I did manage to make a quick trip over there this morning to see what’s going on. There’s been a lot of work on Lex Luthor: Drop of Doom, so let’s jump in and check it out.

The only changes to the front of the queue building are that the concrete work has been finished and the former paintball gallery got its new sign:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Lex Luthor: Drop of Doom

All of the flatwork (concrete) appears to be finished in front of the buildings and they were power washing everything while I was there today:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Lex Luthor: Drop of Doom

The former paintball gallery is now called the LexCorp Weapons Training Facility. No official word, but sources are still indicating it will be some sort of a slingshot-based target game, similar to Angry Birds:

The Daily Planet Newsstand & Gifts shop appears to be finished:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Lex Luthor: Drop of Doom

I noticed a speaker and lights up under the awning. The material looks thin enough that the lights should provide a nice red glow through the awning at night:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Lex Luthor: Drop of Doom

The pathway between the two buildings appears to be the exit path from the ride. I’m sure they will install some sort of a one-way fence to prevent people from walking up to the ride from the midway:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Lex Luthor: Drop of Doom

Lots of new landscaping ready to be installed:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Lex Luthor: Drop of Doom

They had the midway leading down to Scream and Colossus blocked off for construction vehicles, so I wasn’t able to get any shots from down there:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Lex Luthor: Drop of Doom

This was bizarre. I noticed they had installed a walled platform on top of the catch car closest to the queue building:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Lex Luthor: Drop of Doom

The only thing I can think of is that this will be how they shuttle maintenance folks up and down the tower once the ride becomes operational:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Lex Luthor: Drop of Doom

The other catch car did not have the same setup:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Lex Luthor: Drop of Doom

There is a new corrugated metal awning that has been wrapped all the way around the base of the tower, over the ride area. They were painting it green while I was there:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Lex Luthor: Drop of Doom

Here is a wide shot showing the new awning from the back of the tower:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Lex Luthor: Drop of Doom

There were a lot of people having a very lively discussion about something on the base of the second gondola. I obviously couldn’t hear what they were saying, but it certainly appeared that they were trying to solve an issue:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Lex Luthor: Drop of Doom

Based on their body language, something wasn’t right. Also, check out the stainless steel cylinder with what looks like a giant rubber stopper on top. I’m wondring if this is some sort of dampener for when the gondola nears the bottom or perhaps an emergency stop should the brakes happen to fail:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Lex Luthor: Drop of Doom

It’s a blurry pic, but this is what the bottom of the gondolas look like:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Lex Luthor: Drop of Doom

The cables have finally been attached to the catch cars. Two per side:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Lex Luthor: Drop of Doom

This was the best shot I could get of where the two cables go at the top of the tower. I’m sure the four outside cables that were used for the work carts will be removed soon:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Lex Luthor: Drop of Doom

Here are the two cables for the other catch car:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Lex Luthor: Drop of Doom

This is the top of the other side of the tower:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Lex Luthor: Drop of Doom

These are the four cables, two for each side, feeding down through the middle of the tower and wrapping around that giant cable drum:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Lex Luthor: Drop of Doom

I still haven’t been able to find out what this is, but a reader commented that there is a similar device on the Giant Drop that is a sensor to take on-ride pictures. I don’t think there is going to be cameras on this ride, so I’m thinking that might not be right. Someone else suggested it was to help keep the cables properly separated. Since the two ride cables do feed through it, that might be a good guess. As the catch car makes contact with it on the way up, it would slide up with the catch car. As the catch car comes back down, this piece would stop here. That would mean there was only 200′ of cable to control between connections and not the full 400′:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Lex Luthor: Drop of Doom

Through another blurry pic, you can see some sort of sensor that has been attached to the side of the catch car. I’m wondering if this is the piece that makes contact with the piece from the previous picture:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Lex Luthor: Drop of Doom

Here is the new awning over the gondola closest to the queue building:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Lex Luthor: Drop of Doom

I thought it wrapped all the way around the tower, but then I noticed that the other side, over the second gondola, was not covered:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Lex Luthor: Drop of Doom

However, I later spotted the missing section hiding behind some trees. Not sure if it’s related or not, but this is the same side that all those guys were working on above:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Lex Luthor: Drop of Doom

This appears to be the door on the back of the queue building that the line will exit from and make its way to the ride. You can see a new path and covering, which will at least offer some shade when the sun is directly overhead:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Lex Luthor: Drop of Doom

Pulling back a bit, you can see the path covering wrap all the way around to the first gondola. If you look at the first awning pic above, you can see how they overlap:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Lex Luthor: Drop of Doom

A new speaker has been mounted just as you exit the queue building:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Lex Luthor: Drop of Doom

I massively overexposed my camera, trying to see inside the pitch black doorway during the middle of the day. It looks completely barren to me. I was at least expecting a series of switchbacks in there:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Lex Luthor: Drop of Doom

There are also new speakers mounted around the ride:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Lex Luthor: Drop of Doom

Just as I was getting ready to leave, a truckload of more plants showed up:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Lex Luthor: Drop of Doom

The media preview day is still scheduled for next Thursday. If everything goes according to plan, my next post about this ride will be my recap of that day. I’m getting excited!

1. Myles

06/21/2012 at 7:42 pm

woohoo! they started testing it today!

2. Robert

06/21/2012 at 8:21 pm

Thanks Kurt I was missing my weekly Coasterguy updates :O) hope you enjoyed your Vacation, were there any coasters/park involved will you be doing an update on it?

On to Lex Luther looks like they still have a lot to do in a week hoping they make the dead line. Far as the basket on top of the catch car that’s normal Giant Drop at Dreamworld has the same set up for maintenance.

I actually the look of the Daily Planet Gift shop more then the Main que building and the Weapons Training building which I’m assuming will be some type of shooting game.

Anyways again thanks for the update and I can’t wait to see your coverage of the opening or media day which ever one your going to.

3. caleb

06/21/2012 at 8:25 pm

Do you know of there is a season pass holders day? I think there would be one Friday since Media Day is Thursday and it officially opens Saturday, but I haven’t gotten any notice emails or seen any advertisement…

06/21/2012 at 9:28 pm

I haven’t seen anything either. I’m not sure what they’re going to do on Friday, if anything.

4. alex

06/21/2012 at 9:03 pm

this is off topic but i might go to texas next month and i want to stop by six flags over texas, would my season pass work over there?

06/21/2012 at 9:27 pm

It will get you into the park, but the parking add-on will only work at your home park.

5. joshua

06/21/2012 at 9:19 pm

ok saw some pictures of testing, anyone found any video?

6. Zac

06/21/2012 at 9:43 pm

i was at the park one day and they opened the lex corp weapons training, and i saw bungee cords attached to posts. Basically it looked just like a mounted sling shot, they had targets hanging from a distance. and they were just testing it right as I left at 8:45!

• Zac

06/21/2012 at 9:43 pm

the ride, not the game haha

7. Chris

06/21/2012 at 10:12 pm

Those hydraulic piston cylinders at the base of the tower are to assist with the stable lowering of the vehicle into the loading position. You can see a similar system used on every S&S tower installation. The pistons raise to meet the carriage when it is ready to lower into the loading position and then gradually come down, to bring the vehicle to a steady stop.

The way these ride tower rides are designed, the brakes are inherently fail-safe, so there is no need for a “back up” braking system. The track mounts utilize rare-earth magnet strips that when in contact with the steel plates on the backside of vehicles, generate an extremely powerful magnetic attraction that brings the vehicle to a stop within a few hundred feet.

06/23/2012 at 7:02 am

Are you sure the magnets are the primary braking system? If that’s true, wouldn’t the gondolas completely freeze once they fully came into contact with all the magnets? How do they softly lower the gondola into the loading position at the very bottom of the track? If the magnets can be engaged and disengaged to allow this, then I would think a backup system would be necessary in case the magnets did not engage. On Superman, the magnets are the backup braking system.

• alex

06/24/2012 at 10:37 pm

there is no friction with the magnetic brake and since it is mounted vertically on the track the gondola will just glide down smoothly. On superman the lsms are what stop the car because they are powered with electricity.

8. Someone

06/21/2012 at 10:14 pm

The Giant Drop also haves a “basket” like thing on the top. I’m not sure what it’s for.

Anyway, what camera do you use? Is it a Canon? Is it a Canon S100?

06/23/2012 at 7:05 am

I use a really old Sony DSC-H1. My wife just bought the latest version of that camera, which is the DSC-H200V, and it’s amazing. Unfortunately, I’m not allowed to use it. 😉

• Someone

06/23/2012 at 6:54 pm

Thanks! I used to have a Canon S90 which I loved SOO MUCH! (Then, I lost it in Vegas) 🙁

Now, I have a Canon S95.

• Someone

06/23/2012 at 6:55 pm

I like your picture quality alot! That’s why I asked.

9. JIMMY TOVAR

06/22/2012 at 7:08 am

THANKS for the update Kurt!! Always a pleasure reading them…….
    But I do have to say, that gated platform does NOT look very good. Not liking it at all.

10. reggie

06/22/2012 at 1:11 pm

i thought they wuld have a more themed station…. this one seems a little to plain for the ride

11. reggie

06/22/2012 at 1:12 pm

something indoor like the superman station

06/23/2012 at 6:55 am

That’s exactly what they have. The queue building is fully themed inside.

12. Maverick Muir

06/22/2012 at 2:21 pm

That weird blue thing on the track was for the carts going on the side of the tower. It’s so they don’t smack into the track and damage it.

06/23/2012 at 6:54 am

No, it’s actually a part of the ride itself.

13. Will P.

06/22/2012 at 4:02 pm

Thanks for the Update, great Update as usual, and nice to see things getting done and ready for operation and the rides debut.

14. A.J

06/22/2012 at 7:03 pm

so….. is it testing?

• Myles

06/22/2012 at 8:11 pm

Yep. They started yesterday.

• A.J

06/23/2012 at 8:47 am

Oh yeah thanks i just read that they are testing on their Facebook page.

15. Guy

06/22/2012 at 10:08 pm

No its not under testing yet. i over heard that this weekend is the state inspection for the ride.

16. Gio

06/23/2012 at 8:48 am

I think the basket is if something goes wrong with the cable they could go in it instead of taking a whole lot of time to climb up all the stairs. It could be a faster way up.

17. Will P.

06/23/2012 at 2:04 pm

Did they laminate any kind of sticker on the ride with the Names “Lex Luthor, Drop of Doom” yet, as it was advertised?

06/24/2012 at 9:53 am

Not yet.

18. SC Thrills

06/24/2012 at 10:47 am

Can we post a link on our site to this update? We think it’s a great update and would like to share it with others!

06/24/2012 at 11:01 am

Absolutely! Feel free to link to anything on my site. I welcome it. 🙂

19. Aaron Rodriguez

06/25/2012 at 1:35 pm

i just went to six flags yesterday and it looks to me that they put the dummys on the gandolas when i saw and this time any day now they should be testing the ride but overall its looks like there done with it. All day have to do is now is test it and it will be ready to go by this saturday and i can’t wait to go on it. By the looks of going up that high dam it is scary.