Lex Luthor: Drop Of Doom Construction Update #8

By on 06/29/2012

Six Flags Magic Mountain Lex Luthor Drop of Doom Logo

I feel like I’m starting to sound like a broken record, but with the Media Preview being postponed by a week I figured I’d swing by Six Flags Magic Mountain and squeeze in one more update on the Lex Luthor: Drop of Doom construction. I wasn’t sure if anything would even look different, but there quite a few new things.

If you look really close on this first shot, you can see the two lift cables running up the middle of the track, arc over the pulley, cross to the middle of the tower, and then arc over a second pulley as they make their way down through the middle of the tower. It’s obviously mirrored on the other side so there are four pulleys all together:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Lex Luthor: Drop of Doom

There was not a single person around or working on this ride when I was there. Everything looked finished and waiting for media day to me. As I approached the ride area, it was obvious they were getting ready for the media event. All of the metal barricades had their fancy Sunday clothes on:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Lex Luthor: Drop of Doom

Due to the bright sun and all of the reflections off the window, I couldn’t get a clean shot. However, the Daily Planet has been stocked with merchandise and is ready to sell:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Lex Luthor: Drop of Doom

The queue building has gotten some various Lex advertisements added down the side:

The first was for LexCorp:

And then LexPower:

Of course, everyone knows that Lex was the Human of the Year:

One for LexCom (I thought this said LexCorn when I first read it):

Six Flags Magic Mountain Lex Luthor: Drop of Doom

And finally LexAir. I’d love to see a ride themed to this:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Lex Luthor: Drop of Doom

There were a couple more of these signs leaned up against the building in the corner. I suspect they are going to be attached to either side of the Weapons Training Facility.

The front door of the queue building was open so I was able to get a better shot of what was inside. The Lex Luthor suit on display is labeled as LexCorp Power Armor:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Lex Luthor: Drop of Doom

It really does look like it’s nothing but one giant queue inside:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Lex Luthor: Drop of Doom

The outside monitors have been installed. The water dummies were all sitting in the gondolas and the overhead shade/protection thingy has also been installed:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Lex Luthor: Drop of Doom

It looks like the exit path has also been completed. Judging by the placement of the ride warning sign, I’m guessing this will double as the Flash Pass entrance as well:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Lex Luthor: Drop of Doom

Here is another shot of the piece that was installed directly over the seats on the gondolas. I’m thinking these are to protect the riders from anything that may fall off the tower from above. Or, more likely, to prevent people from tossing something straight up from the top of the ride and having it come down after and injure someone:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Lex Luthor: Drop of Doom

Here’s the same piece installed on the other gondola. I like the spikes on the ends:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Lex Luthor: Drop of Doom

Another monitor was mounted just outside the back door of the queue building:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Lex Luthor: Drop of Doom

The backside of the new fence surrounding the ride may not be that pretty, but as you can see from the open door the inside has been painted a nice Lex Luthor green:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Lex Luthor: Drop of Doom

This is the completed backside of the ride, complete with new fence and landscaping:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Lex Luthor: Drop of Doom

Moving slightly to the right, you can see the completed backside of the queue building:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Lex Luthor: Drop of Doom

This is the fire department hookup just behind the queue building. Do you think they’ll change the name? Considering that the one over by Jet Stream still says Candle Shop, from the Spillikin Corners days, I’m guessing no. Twenty years from now, a young kid is going to look at that and wonder where the arcade is:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Lex Luthor: Drop of Doom

Like I said above, there was no signs of anyone working on this ride. There were no workers, work equipment, or construction vehicles. With the exception of a couple of signs, everything looked complete and ready to roll….errrr, I mean drop.

Barring any further delays in the opening of this ride, this should be my last update prior to the Media Preview. I know…broken record, right? 🙂

1. Will P.

06/29/2012 at 3:25 pm

Job well done so far my friend, throughout this whole time period, Job well done. As far as I’m concerned, just as another person stated on this site, and in a previous update, you should be Paid to do the work you do. Simply the Best coverage on this ride and rides in general, like yours. For a guy who does not even live in Cali anymore, (not since Flashback was new at least), I’m super Pumped about this ride.

As far as the Drop, wheather your 400, 390 or 388 feet high, no one will notice the difference from that height, and quite a few will have reservations wheather they really want to ride this ride. That’s how scary this will or should be to people riding. I looked at Lex Luthor from a side angle, from Top to bottom, and and you are way up there.

Thanks again for all your updates and hard work. Hopefully you get to media day and ride this thing along all the others.

• Jimmy Tovar

06/29/2012 at 3:34 pm

I agree with you so much Will P.!!!

• Will P.

06/30/2012 at 10:34 am

Thanks Tovar.

believe it was you whom Originally stated kurt should be Paid, and you were soo right on.

I will have to wait later this year to ride it. If my USC Trojans do not make it to the NC title game in football down in Florida,, there is always the Rose Bowl which will fit in with my vacation schedule just as nice. This way I can go to Six Flags
        as well and ride Lex Luthor.That’s if Six Flags is open in Late Dec.- early Jan. I’d rather go ride Lex before the New Year.

Enjoy Lex Luthor Tovar, I know I will when I get to fly out and ride it.

• Jimmy Tovar

06/30/2012 at 7:23 pm

Thanks for acknowledging it Will…. Didn’t think anyone read that part. Haha.
          Thanks again and be well.

2. Oscar

06/29/2012 at 3:53 pm

Is superman open yet? Or are they waiting till next week too?

06/29/2012 at 3:56 pm

Superman is scheduled to re-open when Lex Luthor opens.

3. Adam

06/29/2012 at 6:35 pm

Kurt first of all fantastic updates! I noticed there is a black thing on each side of the dummys around their shoulders. Is this an added restraint or is it just tape? It almost looks like a vest but I cant 100% tell?

06/29/2012 at 9:58 pm

Nice catch. I hadn’t noticed that before. I’m zooming in on the full size originals and still can’t tell. I think they wrapped a towel or something around each dummy. Perhaps to keep from scuffing or ripping the new seats?

4. Someone

06/29/2012 at 6:54 pm

Nice update! Are you going to ride? (I will never ride for anything or anyone)

06/29/2012 at 9:51 pm

Of course I’m going to ride! I’ll actually be a part of the ACE group that fills the seats for the early morning newscasts on media day. We are supposed to report to the park at 5:00 am. We’ll get lots of rides in before the actual media event starts at 11:00 am. I’m excited to ride it! 🙂

06/29/2012 at 10:52 pm

I will see you there. 😉

• Someone

06/30/2012 at 12:50 am

Good luck! And don’t black out!

• Will P.

06/30/2012 at 10:29 am

Sweet! Soo Pumped to see this on the News by me in Chicago IL. I’ll make sure to take that day off of work, just to see the News on this ride. Enjoy Media Day Kurt, and Thanks for everything and all your work. Bravo, Job well done.

5. Andrew

06/29/2012 at 9:36 pm

They were training the ride operators today during testing and the seats were running empty. No dummies.

06/29/2012 at 9:52 pm

Interesting. So where is the actual ride operator’s station at? I haven’t been able to determine that yet.

• Andrew

06/30/2012 at 9:22 pm

It was hard to tell. They were all standing between the two cars on the side of the tower closest to the exit. I’m heading back to the park tomorrow and I will let you know then.

6. joe miranda

07/01/2012 at 1:04 am

Thank you Kurt for all of the updates. I highly appreciate it. I mean to ask, have you seen any changes to the old Log Jammer area? Any new landscaping or footers?

07/02/2012 at 7:43 pm

There hasn’t been any updates to that area. Once the hoopla of getting Lex Luthor opened is over, I think the park will be making an announcement about what will be taking Log Jammer’s spot for 2013. It sounds like it’s going to be big and custom, which means it will take awhile to build, which means they need to make the announcement sooner rather than later.

7. Ron

07/01/2012 at 6:19 am

found a video with the dummies

• mike

07/01/2012 at 7:37 am

Took me awhile to turn my video the proper way… but i don’t do these all the time. Here is test run of Luthor from Saturday the 30th.

07/01/2012 at 11:20 am

I noticed in your video that the two seats didn’t seem to reach the same height. Maybe that was just because of the angle, but the seat on the far side of the tower appeared to come down sooner.

In a sense, I’m glad they took the extra week to make darned sure that everything will run smoothly. I can’t wait to see test runs done with the Superman cars running at the same time. If they plan to operate the two rides simultaneously, then obviously they have some testing to do within the next few days.

• Dylan Reich

07/01/2012 at 4:23 pm

They go up together, but do not have to drop together. I’m guessing they just dropped that side first.

07/02/2012 at 7:47 pm

They have to be at the same height because they are attached to the same cable drum. It’s just a funny angle. They were released at almost the exact same time, but the far gondola did drop faster. I’m wondering of perhaps it had a much higher load, like maybe water filled dummies vs. empty or no dummies?

8. Will P.

07/01/2012 at 2:24 pm

Got a ? on the Loading area.

Once you’ve arrived to load the 2 gondolas, is there 2 lanes for the 2 different sides of the Tower, or just the End of the Line where you wait to be directed where you’ll be going?

Can your group or you, get to pick a side which you want to face, when you drop, or no?

Also, to make sure and see that both gondolas are filled to capacity, if they need 1 person, will they call for 1 in Line, so they can fill that extra seat?

Where I go to Six Flags Great America in Gurnee IL, on the Giant Drop, you have a 4 seat Gondola on each side of the tower, and you can pretty much grab whichever car you want or can get to.

Thanks!

• joe miranda

07/01/2012 at 3:03 pm

I think they will let the guests choose which side they want. If they do it for Superman Escape From Krypton, i’m sure they’ll do it for Lex Luthor Drop of Doom. 🙂

9. josh

07/01/2012 at 5:10 pm

does anyone one know if SEFK and LLDOD are going to run together or alternating. <– subject that hasn't been issued for a while. i haven't seen them testing together ;-(

07/02/2012 at 7:48 pm

They will definitely be running at the same time, however completely independent of each other. In other words, there won’t be any special timing of the dispatches between the two.

10. Ezell

07/01/2012 at 7:22 pm

SEFK and LLDOD will run the same time the operators for SEFK will have no idea when the gondolas are up. Its gonna be normal operations for superman.

11. JIMMY TOVAR

07/02/2012 at 5:31 am

The metal safety sheet that was placed directly above the seats with the spikes….. I noticed they put the name of the ride, “DROP OF DOOM” in black and yellow. But if you are looking at it from our point of view, whey are upside down. Anybody know the reason why they would be placed like that?

12. JIMMY TOVAR

07/02/2012 at 5:33 am

Here’s a good close up of the gondolas dropping with the water dummies and the safety overhead sheet metal.

• Will P.

07/02/2012 at 2:02 pm

Thanks for sharing Tovar, however just 1 Big area of concern.

I saw all the Testing videos, and saw 1 of the gondolas, the one were facing in one of the videos, looked to drop sideways, then streighten out at as it came to a Stop. Not sure it was the Testing video in the video you uploaded Tovar, but believe it was another Testing video.I certainly hope they take of it, if what I saw was really a tilted gondola going down.

For the sake of the ride, and especially it’s riders. Hopefully it was either just Bad vision on my part, or I saw it from bad angle.

Thanks, just my 2 cents.

• Guy

07/03/2012 at 10:38 am

it appeared the gondola was tilting when going down but if you take a closer look it seems like it was tilting left but in reality it was not at all because you are missing a water dummy on the far left and there is more weight on the right side so it should have really leaned to the right. The ride its self is fine.

• JIMMY TOVAR

07/03/2012 at 10:59 am

You got me on that one….. All the testing videos I saw look ok to me. Not sure what you mean by, dropping sideways. Interesting.

07/02/2012 at 7:54 pm

Finally got a chance to watch this video. It’s the best one I’ve seen yet! The braking looks like it’s going to be a lot smoother than I was anticipating.

13. Pingback: Lex Luthor Drop of Doom Finishing Touches | CoasterNews.Net

14. josh

07/03/2012 at 12:11 pm

saw LLDOD being tested repetatively (spelling) last night. they cycled the ride 5 times in ten minutes. capacity nightmare is right. 420 people an hour?! ouch!

• Will P.

07/04/2012 at 9:47 am

Dont forget that on the older free Fall ride, you had to wait as well for it to go up, move foward, and free Fall. At least here with LLDOD, you have 2 Free Falls on both sides. Free Fall was just 1 structure, with 1 drop. here you have 2.

• Will P.

07/04/2012 at 9:49 am

Have the LLDOD operators all been trained yet, and instructed on how to riders both On, and off the ride? I sure hope so.

07/05/2012 at 3:16 pm

Yes, I’ve heard reports that the ride operators have received lots of training.

• Thomas

07/05/2012 at 8:57 pm

And that is with no one riding it. It is going to drop even more the capacity once passengers start riding. I guessing one ride every 5 minutes.

15. mike

07/04/2012 at 4:38 pm

Lex Luthor and SEFK were testing at 1pm July 4th … pretty bad video but shows them running together.

07/05/2012 at 3:18 pm

Thanks, Mike. That’s the first video I’ve seen of them running together.

16. Josh

10/01/2012 at 9:15 pm

Can not wait to ride(even though i’m 11)!!!!!

10/01/2012 at 9:17 pm

Age doesn’t matter, as long as you’re tall enough.