On-Ride Video From Lex Luthor: Drop Of Doom

By on 07/06/2012

Lex Luthor Drop of Doom Logo

I attended the Lex Luthor: Drop of Doom media preview today at Six Flags Magic Mountain. I had a great time and was able to get in a whopping 15 drops on the new ride! It’ll take me a little bit to process, upload, and comment on all of the photos from the event. In the mean time, here is an on-ride video of me taken by Six Flags:

1. CoasterKings908

07/06/2012 at 6:06 pm

I see Spears!

07/06/2012 at 6:29 pm

Who is Spears?

• Jimmy Tovar

07/06/2012 at 6:48 pm

I thinks he’s referring to the spikes on top of the gondolas…..

• CoasterKings908

07/06/2012 at 7:41 pm

Spears is that blonde lady. She’s well known within the TPR community.

• Evan

07/06/2012 at 9:54 pm

She’s very well known in the TPR World indeed.

07/07/2012 at 10:52 pm

You know, I saw them with the TPR shirts on and I should have introduced myself. My bad.

2. Andrew

07/06/2012 at 6:20 pm

What kind of wait times could I be expecting for this ride tomorrow around 1:00 PM? Would you expect anything more than 2 hours?

07/06/2012 at 6:30 pm

No idea. Nothing to base a guess on.

• Andrew

07/06/2012 at 9:54 pm

I changed my schedule so that I can go at opening at 10. So it’s all good.

• Ryan O

07/06/2012 at 11:55 pm

Same here – gonna get there at 10. It’s a shame I don’t have a Discover card though.

07/06/2012 at 6:48 pm

I ended up with a total of 11 rides today, one of which was during the presentation with Superman running at the same time. Yes, the tower shakes quite nicely.

It was good to see you and take a few rides with you. I look forward to more Lex Luthor coverage.

• Jimmy Tovar

07/06/2012 at 6:53 pm

Is it a rumbling shake or it just swerves side to side?

07/06/2012 at 11:13 pm

No rumbling, just a gentle sway from side to side. But you definitely notice it.

• JIMMY TOVAR

07/07/2012 at 2:56 am

Thank you.

07/07/2012 at 10:54 pm

I was sitting in the gondola at the base of the ride when both cars passed overhead, twice, and it was a rumbling vibration. I’m glad to hear Eric say it’s more of a gentle sway when you’re up top.

4. Byron Lopez

07/06/2012 at 7:11 pm

Did the daily planet and paint ball galleria open today or will they open tommorow

07/06/2012 at 7:18 pm

We got to preview them both today but everything will open to the public tomorrow.

5. Josh

07/06/2012 at 9:29 pm

Will you be publishing a full media day report with pictures like you did with Green Lantern last year?

Also, I must say you’ve done excellent coverage of the ride too, you mentioned you thought you were turning into a broken record after doing so many updates, but the truth is I was refreshing the page waiting for your next post. Awesome job!

07/06/2012 at 9:43 pm

Thank you, Josh. I’m glad you liked the updates. I will be posting a full report with lots of pictures. I was hoping to have it up tonight, but it’s nowhere near done and I’m falling asleep at the keyboard. I had to get up at 3:00 am this morning to get ready and get to the park by 4:30. It’s been a very long day. Look for the full report tomorrow morning.

• Josh

07/06/2012 at 10:24 pm

Looks like a lot of fun. I’m eagerly awaiting my chance to ride when I head out to the park on Sunday. I can’t praise you enough for your work on this site!

6. David

07/06/2012 at 11:24 pm

im going to be going on the 21st of this month hopefully and can’t wait to ride this. Although im really scared to its going to be alot of fun.

7. JIMMY TOVAR

07/07/2012 at 4:11 am

So I guess once you reach the top, There is an awesome greeting and farewell by Lex Luther, which I think is so rad….. Are the speakers on the tower itself or are they incorporated into the gondolas/catch cars?
    By the way, have to really say they did an excellent job with the whole ride, theme, colors and everything. It’s so awesome. Great job Tim Burkhart, Magic Mountain and you Kurt on the whole coverage till date.

07/07/2012 at 9:20 am

The speakers are on the tower. They’re nice and loud when you’re up there, but you really can’t hear them at the base of the tower. The funny thing is that when I returned to my car in the employee parking lot a couple of blocks away, it was crystal clear. Interesting how sound travels.

• Jimmy Tovar

07/08/2012 at 7:28 am

I guess the echo bouncing of the hills. Ha. Thanks Kurt. But are the sounds of Lex’s voice the same on both sides every time or are they ramdom as in a different greeting before you drop?

8. damian

07/07/2012 at 6:59 am

im already here waiting lol been here since line 6:15am lol cant wait!!:)

07/07/2012 at 8:40 am

Dude, that’s crazy early to be waiting in line!

• Andrew

07/08/2012 at 8:05 pm

I got there at 9:45 and was 200th in line! haha

9. Will P.

07/11/2012 at 2:49 pm

Kurt or to whomever can answer this.

Does or can Magic Mountain in any way provide Videos of ones experience on Lex Luthor, if requested? I’d pay $40.00-50 even $100 to have my Ride on lex Luthor be video taped. The riders on all those rides they’ve shown already of lex Luthor, their faces are Priceless. I know my family would Love mine when I visit Six Flags Magic Mountain later this year.

Some rides have photos of the riders where you can buy a pic of yourself if you wish. Even a pic of oneself.

Thanks!

07/11/2012 at 7:52 pm

Unfortunately, Lex Luthor does not have an on-ride photography system. The videos and photos that you see were taken during the media preview of the ride, using temporarily mounted cameras and by appointment only.

• Will P.

07/12/2012 at 3:48 pm

Thanks! When you mean by Appointment Only, does one have to sign up to get an appointment and what is the process?

Thanks bro!

07/14/2012 at 8:54 pm

The instructions and contact information to make the appointment were included with the invitation for the event that was sent out in the mail.

10. Will P.

07/12/2012 at 4:36 pm

To you Kurt and everyone else on here, after viewing all of the Media day Lex Luthor videos of all the different riders on board, which person at what time of the video, or during their ride, stuck out at you the most, or had the best most Priceless expressions?

There was 1 lady sitting at the very end (I believe), in one of the videos who did not look scared at all and was somehow able to put on a streight face. That seemed unheard of or hard to imagine, but it was incredible.

Let’s have fun with this.

Looking foward to hearing all of your opinions and comments on this.

07/14/2012 at 8:57 pm

I’m sorry, Will, but I simply don’t have the time to watch everyone else’s videos. I’ve only watched mine a couple of times, the one with Amanda from Six Flags, and the one of Dustin Penner and Michael Rosenbaum.

• Will P.

07/17/2012 at 4:04 pm

That’s cool! Understood. now ready for the New ride in 2013, cant wait.