UA-20143982-1 More Sling Shot Pieces Arrive At Six Flags Magic Mountain - The Coaster Guy

More Sling Shot Pieces Arrive At Six Flags Magic Mountain

By on 07/27/2012

A few weeks ago, some colorful ride pieces began to appear behind Apocalypse at Six Flags Magic Mountain (see more here). There was lots of speculation as to what they could be because they didn’t look like typical roller coaster support columns. A reader posted a comment that he heard they were going to be part of a new upcharge attraction and he appears to be correct as more pieces have begun to arrive at the park, confirming that they are for a Sling Shot ride from Funtime Group.

The rectangular structure you see in this next photo is the housing for all of the high compression springs that power the ride. If you look at the photos in the post linked above, you will see what it looks like in operation:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Sling Shot

In addition to all of the new miscellaneous parts you see in this next photo, you will also see the seat assembly that has arrived:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Sling Shot

Here is a photo of the exact same seat as seen on the Funtime web site:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Sling Shot

Image © Funtime Group

Everything that has arrived so far, from what we can see:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Sling Shot

What strikes me as very odd about this is that we haven’t heard anything about it from the park. The rumors are that it will go up some time in late August, but that’s very late in the season. In a company-wide email that Jim Reid-Anderson sent out on Tuesday, July 24th, the day after his visit to Six Flags Great Adventure, he said “We also have opened our last piece of new capital for 2012 – King Cobra – and it looked great.” That sounds to me like nothing else will be built this year. So either 1) this Sling Shot won’t be going up this year, or 2) they don’t consider it new capital, or 3) it’s not going to be operated by the park. As an upcharge attraction, is it possible that the park is leasing out the space for someone else to operate the ride, like they do with several of the retail operations around the park? What are your thoughts?

1. Jerry

07/27/2012 at 11:16 am

Fender Benders at Great Adventure still hasn’t opened yet, and it is part of the 2012 capital. But Btw Great Pictures! Can’t wait to find out more!

2. SFMMCrazy

07/27/2012 at 11:33 am

I can tell you this sling shot is for SFMM…I have sources that told me.

• Evan

07/27/2012 at 1:32 pm

Pssshhhhhh. It’s not for a slingshot, it’s clearly for a Floorless Aquatrax.

3. JJJJ

07/27/2012 at 2:45 pm

Based on it being the mobile version, sounds like the park realized they have lots of empty space and rented it out, and some group decided to put this in.

4. Nathan

07/27/2012 at 3:58 pm

It doesn’t make sense to me that they would remove a sling shot ride only to replace it with another sling shot ride 100 yards away. Hmmm…

07/27/2012 at 4:01 pm

It does if they’re not the ones putting it in.

• Sommer

08/28/2012 at 7:50 am

Actually I was told why they are taking the other one out and it is because one of the beams has gotten damaged and is no longer safe to run it so instead of fixing it the have simply decided to have someone else replace in so they can focus on the other additions.

08/28/2012 at 8:07 am

I don’t think the supports on this ride were damaged, but they were on the identical ride in another park. Read my ride profile on Thrill Shot for the full story.

5. Mario Valenzuela

07/27/2012 at 4:11 pm

Disapointed that they would put a sling shot ride. A sling shot ride should be a county fair. SFMM needs to put in a big attraction!

6. joseph

07/27/2012 at 11:51 pm

Do you think there is going to be an additional fee to this ride like dive devil ?

07/28/2012 at 6:25 am

That’s what we’re hearing.

7. Michael

07/30/2012 at 9:42 am

do you guys think that full throttle is still gonna happen or do you think we are just this and full throttle is just a lie

07/30/2012 at 9:53 am

I think we’ll see the Sling Shot rather soon and then a major coaster for the 2013 season. I have no guesses on what either ride will be called.

07/30/2012 at 7:27 pm

Personally, I think “Full Throttle” would make a good name for the slingshot ride. The rumored 2013 coaster will likely be called something else in my opinion.

8. Someone

07/30/2012 at 3:09 pm

Urgh! Where’s the roller coaster?! Not you Kurt, keep up the good work.

9. Byron Lopez

07/31/2012 at 9:44 am

Many of you probably already know that the six flags ride rotating program came back last year. The idea of the ride rotating program is to remove ride from one six flags park and receive one ride from another six flags park. The ride rotating program will last for five years wich means it would start in 2011 and end in 2015. The rides that were rotated last year were de javu from six flags magic mountain was relocated to six flags new England , iron wolf from six flags great America was send to six flags America and pandemonium from six flags discovery kingdom was send to six flags Mexico . During the next four years la ronde, over Georgia , great escape, fiesta texas,over Texas , st Louis will receive and relocate a ride. Discovery kingdom , magic mountain and great America will receive a ride and new England Mexico and America will relocate a ride

10. Byron Lopez

07/31/2012 at 9:50 am

The rummored , most likely ride rotatings are bizzaro from six flags great adventure relocated to six flags st Louis . Flashback from sfne will also be relocated , batwing from six flags great America and poltergeist from fiesta texas

11. Byron Lopez

07/31/2012 at 9:53 am

The good thing is that magic mountain already finished their rotating we still need to get ours hopefully it could be flashback from sfne the coaster added in 2013 will be separate from the rotating

• Evan

07/31/2012 at 4:58 pm

• Dangerclose

07/31/2012 at 10:09 pm

Why is God’s name would they send flashback to SFMM? The same ride is 30mins down the 5 freeway at Knott’s.

Not a great marketing idea.

“Come ride our new ride that Knott’s has had since 1990″

07/31/2012 at 10:24 pm

I have to agree with Dangerclose on this one. SFMM just got rid of their GIB. There’s no way they’d replace it with the GIB’s little brother, a standard Boomerang. Everyone and their mother has been on one of those a million times.

12. Pingback: Neu 2013: Multi-Launch-Coaster @ Six Flags Magic Mountain - Seite 3

13. Byron Lopez

08/01/2012 at 12:18 am

Im not saying its gonna be flashback I’m saying I hope but one things for sure is we are getting a ride from another six flags park

14. Someone

08/01/2012 at 12:47 am

We should get Poltergeist from Fiesta Texas! I’d love that ride!

15. EVAN ILIC

08/01/2012 at 6:52 pm

will the 2013 coaster be a signiture coaster

16. Byron Lopez

08/04/2012 at 4:50 pm

Flashback and Texas chute out from over Texas are being removed and probably sent to another six flags park. Tazes dive devil dive is going to be removed from six flags new England and may be put at another six flags park. Flashback at new England, batwing at America , and poltergeist at fiesta Texas have good chances of moving and relocating to another six flags park. Bizzaro at six flags great adventure has good chances of moving to st Louis as well .

17. Byron Lopez

08/04/2012 at 4:57 pm

Tommorow is the last operating day for rattler at fiesta texas

18. Byron Lopez

08/04/2012 at 5:24 pm

A wing coaster will open at cedar point and a launch coaster may open at knotts berry farm for 2013

19. Byron Lopez

08/04/2012 at 7:17 pm

Tidal wave at six flags st Louis might be removed for a new attraction coming from six flags great adventure or six flags great adventure

08/04/2012 at 7:29 pm

What’s your source for all this ride rotation information, or is it just speculation?

20. Byron Lopez

08/04/2012 at 10:12 pm

Its actually different information from different sources, information I am told, history and very likely rummors puzzled together

21. Byron Lopez

08/04/2012 at 10:20 pm

And U are totally correct I hate when people say only six flags instead of the whole name of the park I was told flashback from six flags is leaving I really thought the one in new England since there is many rummors of it leaving. Then a few days later I find out flashback at over Texas is being relocated now I don’t know if they are both gonna be relocated or if only the one at over Texas is gonna be relocated

22. Byron Lopez

08/05/2012 at 10:03 am

The rattler is getting a revamp similar to the Texas giant hopefully colossus will get a revamp as well in the future

23. Myles

08/07/2012 at 12:25 pm

If Knott’s get one more launch coaster…. -__- they might as well stop adding rides since there’s no room.

24. Byron Lopez

08/07/2012 at 4:28 pm

True but they can always remove

25. Byron Lopez

08/11/2012 at 11:13 pm

Okay I really made a hot mess up there so I’m going to Oder it up. 1) six flags magic mountain is going to place a coaster replacing log jammer. A slingshot ride will be put either in former location of de javu or of thrillshot. And in the future we are going to get a ride good chances a rollocoaster from another six flags park we relocated déjà vu and we are good chances going to get poltergeist from fiesta Texas,flashback from new England , and batwing from america

26. Byron Lopez

08/11/2012 at 11:22 pm

The Info on the ride rotating and other info from other six flags parks are 1) six flags America recieving iron wolf from six flags great America and good chances replacing batwing 2) six flags st Louis recieving bizzaro from six flags great adventure or boomerang from six flags over Texas what they are relocating is still unknown.3) six flags discovery kingdom relocated their pandemonium to six flags Mexico and placed their superman ride in its place they still expect to add a drop ride and receive a ride from another six flags park however I don’t think st Louis will relocate a ride and I don’t think discovery kingdom will revive a ride until the 2014 season

27. Byron Lopez

08/11/2012 at 11:31 pm

4) six flags great escape will most likely relocate their alpine bobslesds to another six flags park and receive a ride from another six flags park. 5) six flags great adventure was going to and still may relocate their bizzaro to another six flags park maybe six flags st Louis and they still need to get a ride from another six flags park. 6) six flags fiesta Texas will most likely relocate poltergeist and relocate it to another six flags park and they also need to receive a ride from another six flags park, in addition to that they will also to a revamp on the rattler

28. Byron Lopez

08/11/2012 at 11:37 pm

7) six flags over Texas will relocate flashback and Texas chute out for a 2013 or 2014 attraction they might relocate those two rides to six flags st Louis or another six flags park.8) six flags la ronde will good chances relocate their vampire coaster and receive a ride from another six flags park.9) six flags Mexico received pandemonium from six flags discovery kingdom and will relocate one of their rides from another six flags park

29. Byron Lopez

08/11/2012 at 11:40 pm

10) six flags new England go dejavu from sfmm and may relocate flashback in addition they will add a sky scraper replacing Tazes date devil dive I don’t know what will happen to it.

30. Byron Lopez

08/12/2012 at 12:54 am

11) six flags great America relocated iron wolf put x flight in its place and still needs to receive their ride.12) last but not least six flags over Georgia looks like it won’t be touched just yet

31. Byron Lopez

08/12/2012 at 12:57 am

These are confirmed information, most likely rummors and facts put together but I will assure you by the next four years 80 percent of these events have occured

08/12/2012 at 6:17 am

Information can’t be ‘confirmed’ and ‘most likely rumors’. It’s either one or the other. What’s your source? Are you looking at official company documents, talking to a ride op, guessing, or what? I’m not asking you to identify specific individuals, but I would like to know where it’s coming from so I can determine how much faith I should put into it.

32. Byron Lopez

08/12/2012 at 1:14 am

O I almost forgot every park that is going to receive a ride ( all six flags parks ) will most likely have to remove a ride to make room for that ride such as st Louis is going to get rid of their tidal wave and how sfne got rid of shipwreck falls so keep in mind sfmm we may have to remove a ride I don’t think a rollocoaster but I do hope it won’t be a water ride it should be in former location of flashback

33. Byron Lopez

08/12/2012 at 1:19 am

And finally every park has to wait its turn for sure the next park to receive is st Louis either from great adventure or over texas

34. Byron Lopez

08/12/2012 at 8:22 am

Rattler from fiesta Texas having a revamp was confirmed , boomerang and Texas chute out at over Texas was confirmed,discovery kingdom getting a drop ride was confirmed , six flags new England getting a skyscraper and moving it were Tazes dare devil dive was confirmed, iron wolf did leave great America, dejavu did leave magic mountain , pandemonium did leave discovery kingdom and most people already know that st Louis is going to get another ride from a six flags park. I said rummors with confirmed information

35. Byron Lopez

08/12/2012 at 8:31 am

And I do have severel soures but I only use some of their information combined with what has already been confirmed I never guess. But the sources I use I go to six flags ride rotating program and I also compare the old ride rotating with the one that started in and I also go to every park website to see if they are putting any rides that they are relocating to see what rides are going to be in the rotating program . just have faith that they will give us a rollocoaster and not a flat ride

08/24/2012 at 7:40 pm

I was at SFMM with my sister yesterday, and the sling shot pieces were no longer next to Apocalypse. While going around the first turn (right off the lift), I looked down to see if anything else arrived, and saw…nothing.