Full Throttle Roller Coaster Announced At Six Flags Magic Mountain

By on 08/30/2012

Six Flags Magic Mountain Full Throttle

Six Flags finally announced their upcoming 2013 attractions today. Six Flags Magic Mountain will be getting another record-breaking roller coaster called Full Throttle, built by Premiere Rides. It will be the world’s tallest and fastest looping coaster with two forward launches, one backwards launch, a world record 160′ vertical loop, and a top hat element that goes over the top of the vertical loop. It will run two trains, with 18 riders each sitting two abreast. Top speed will exceed 70 MPH.

Here are a couple of artist renditions of the new ride. The first is the record-breaking 160′ vertical loop with the track returning later and going over the top as a top hat:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Full Throttle

Image © Six Flags

This next shot is just after the track passes over the Superman: Escape from Krypton plaza. It banks hard to the right and dives into the old monorail tunnel:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Full Throttle

Image © Six Flags

Here is the full press release:

Six Flags Magic Mountain today announced another world-record addition to their coaster dynasty with FULL THROTTLE, the world’s tallest and fastest looping coaster slated for the Valencia theme park in 2013. Unlike traditional coasters, this unique, one-of-a-kind triple launch coaster will take the coaster experience to the next generation as riders face a never-been-done-before launch up and over a “Top Hat” that traces the outside of a world-record loop, towering 160 feet — plus a zero to 70 miles-per-hour acceleration on two forward launches and one backward launch into and out of a special effects tunnel. FULL THROTTLE will be located near the front of the park in a newly themed five-acre section where guests will experience high-energy thrills through fast-paced imagery, sound and lights. With this addition, Six Flags Magic Mountain, the Thrill Capital of the World, firmly holds the coveted “Coaster Capital of the World” crown — with a total of 18 roller coasters — more than any other theme park on the planet.

“Six Flags is known world-wide as the industry leader in next generation thrills. And, bar none, Six Flags Magic Mountain leads the pack, offering the biggest and the best … always,” said Bonnie Rabjohn, Six Flags Magic Mountain park president. “As we mark our 42nd anniversary of operation, we’re ready to take Southern California by storm, yet again, with the most comprehensive collection of thrilling roller coasters anywhere in the world.”

To begin their journey through the park’s distinct mountainous terrain, riders are loaded onto sleek black and silver trains, sitting two abreast, and are suddenly accelerated from zero to 70 miles-per-hour in the first of three launches, experiencing their first inversion and thrill of navigating a world-record 160-foot tall loop. Riders then enter into a high-banked curve to the right and then to the left as they approach the second inversion — a Dive Loop that drops them rapidly into a special-effects tunnel. While in the tunnel, the train is dramatically decelerated and stopped, only to be suddenly launched backward up to the high point of the Dive Loop. After a momentary pause, the train drops and is magnetically launched a third time, racing out of the tunnel and through a high G-turn to the left. Riders then race up and over a “Top Hat” that traces the outside of the World Record loop, where riders will experience significant air time and a breath-taking view of the park before dropping back down, rapidly decelerating and taking the final 180-degree turn to the left and returning to the station where riders can catch their breath.

FULL THROTTLE is the perfect addition to the park’s coaster collection, joining other adrenaline-pumping coasters, including Tatsu — the tallest, fastest and longest flying coaster in the world, X2 — the world’s first and only 5th dimensional coaster, Apocalypse — the next generation of wooden coasters and Goliath — the “giant among giants” mega coaster.

1. JIMMY TOVAR

08/30/2012 at 6:17 am

OMG!!! I can’t believe what I am reading!! This is truly going to be epic. Wow, how exciting. I really can’t wait. LET THE COUNTDOWN BEGIN!!

• Spencer Maze III

08/31/2012 at 11:48 pm

Yea agreed. The thing looks absolutely sick!!

2. JIMMY TOVAR

08/30/2012 at 6:17 am

Thanks so much Kurt fot the breaking, fast news!!! You deserve a medal of some sort for your hard work.

• Spencer Maze III

09/01/2012 at 12:00 am

+1.

SFMM should let Kurt ride the thing first 😉

3. Tim

08/30/2012 at 7:52 am

I am not that impressed. The ride is too short, and having it stop in the tunnel, launching backwards and forward again is dumb. The train should just automaticcally be accelerated when it flies through the tunnel and continue on it’s journey. I wouldn’t want to have it stop in the middle of the ride suddenly like that. The loop is the only thing interesting having the trains on top and inside, the rest of the ride is very short, and should be much longer through the terrain.

08/30/2012 at 8:28 am

I’m going to reserve judgement until I actually see and experience the ride in person. As far as the tunnel goes, it all depends on what they are planning on doing in there. Wouldn’t stopping the train on top of the loop be a cool element? Great view from there but you would lose the airtime, assuming we are even going to get some.

• JIMMY TOVAR

08/30/2012 at 8:35 am

I do have to agree, despite the record breaking loop, it does seem a bit short for such an anticipated roller coaster. But like Kurt said, lets wait and see. I hope I am not dissapointed.

• Aponymas

09/05/2012 at 1:44 pm

listen. the tunnel is like this, you get stopped going about 65 mph, which causes a pull foreward on the riders. the riders are then lauched backwards, which is a new feeling. Then going foreward, the riders expierience near weightlessness going over 160 ft in the air. dont have any thing good to say dont say any thing. cough*troll*cough.

• tatsuuuUUU

08/09/2014 at 4:31 pm

I’ve been on it, WAY better than yu guys are saying. get butterflies and hang time when you go backwards into the dive loop, then forwards again, and the loop gives awesome hang time. down the side of the top hat is awesome air time, and in the front it feels like a beyond vertical drop.

4. mike

08/30/2012 at 8:03 am

H O L Y Y I K E ‘ S ! ! !

5. nick

08/30/2012 at 9:44 am

Just got this email

Full Throttle is the missing link to our world-class collection. With a unique terrain-hugging track design blazing the mountainside by Valencia Falls, and typical of a SFMM coaster addition, Full Throttle will feature several never-been-done-before experiences. Here’s a few of the ride features that will make this coaster one of the best in the world:

– Full-circuit out-and-back launch coaster

– Record 160-foot tall loop where trains will race at speeds in excess of 70 mph not only through the inside … but also up and over the outside on a first-ever element called a top hat

– 3 separate launches including one backwards

– Two heart-pounding blasts through the 120-foot long tunnel that carves thru the mountain beneath Samurai Summit

But wait ….there’s more!

As we’ve successfully done the past couples of years with DC Universe & Lex Luthor: Drop of Doom, we will once again pool our capital money to create another WOW zone. This time we will be giving the front of the Park an overhaul of “Full Throttle” proportions from What the Fried and the WB Kids Club down to the bears at the beginning of High Sierra Territory. The experience we’re creating for our Guests will push the limits and deliver a complete sensory overload in an environment where inspiration meets exhilaration, filled with innovative surprises and hands-on interactions! Just after the Biggest Fright Fest Ever 2, a giant construction wall will barricade what just might be the biggest transformation the Park has experienced in decades, creating a true-to-brand first impression for our Guests…an impact synonymous with the kind of thrilling experiences only Six Flags can deliver.

08/30/2012 at 10:21 am

Who did that email come from?

• Jeffrey

08/30/2012 at 10:28 am

company email. I got it too.

• Ryan O

08/30/2012 at 6:03 pm

Does that mean that the entire pathway will be blocked off? That’s gonna be a major issue!

• JIMMY TOVAR

08/31/2012 at 4:59 am

WOW!!

6. josh

08/30/2012 at 9:45 am

ok. now ive had some time to think about this. yeah itll be fun but it seems they cut it a little short, ok a lot short. like after the top hat they were like f@#k it. just end it here. lets use well almost any ride for example. there are the big elements, brake run, smaller elements, kind of a wind down to the ride. this just seems like they forgot to add a second half. is this really a final rendering?

• Sam

08/30/2012 at 5:24 pm

I do agree that this ride seems a bit short but, for other rides, I think that they want the big, new element to be the grand finale for the ride. They want to save the best for last you know?

7. Jeffrey

08/30/2012 at 9:54 am

Don’t forget also, if you look at where Log Jammer used to be, they may not have all the ROOM in the world to do anything after the top hat. The loop will take up a lot of space, so they need to have the dimensions in right to fit it all in place, while using the mountainous terrain to their advantage.

• Neil

08/30/2012 at 3:23 pm

If they wanted more room they could’ve taken it over the midway and into the area Flashback used to be there would be a lot of room to have some interesting elements there.

• JIMMY TOVAR

08/31/2012 at 5:01 am

Agreed!

8. Charles

08/30/2012 at 10:22 am

Can not wait!

08/30/2012 at 11:00 am

It’s too early for me to really assess this ride, but I will make a few observations:

I’m glad it’s a full circuit coaster and not a shuttle.

There will no doubt be some sort of special effects in the tunnel; I hope they can keep them working.

Two three-car trains holding only 18 riders is going to make for a long wait. I don’t know why they couldn’t just do a four- or five-car train. No doubt there is a reason, and I’ll leave that for the engineers.

I’m glad that the restraints will be lap bar only and not OTSRs. SFMM needs something like that.

Does anyone know the actual track length? I haven’t seen it posted anywhere.

If I come up with anything else, I’ll ask later.

08/30/2012 at 1:22 pm

So they said they were going to run two trains. Does that mean there will be a third for rehab rotation, or will one of these trains always be out for rehab?

08/30/2012 at 8:30 pm

From a post that I read from a former SFMM employee on a theme park website, the park used to buy one more ride vehicle than the maximum that it can operate. That extra car/train can be put into service should another one need to go offline for maintenance. These days, though, budgets are tight and they no longer do that.

10. jd

08/30/2012 at 11:39 am

looks cool but nowhere near the potential for that space which is extremely dissapointing. i would have rather waited 2 -3 more years even to have something a little more worthy of that spot. we’ll see how this one is but it just seems short. and 160 ft doesnt seem so big. and theres so much potential after that top hat…ahhhh it kills me.. o well hope for the best i guess right. thanks for the update

08/30/2012 at 8:18 pm

From what I understood, the extra space in the former Log Jammer area will be turned into a new themed area, sort of like DC Comics Universe. Maybe at some point there will be a flat ride or two.

11. Maverick Muir

08/30/2012 at 7:07 pm

It’s sad because GateKeeper at Cedar Point will be up-side down 4 FT taller then Full Throttle’s loop.

09/01/2012 at 3:28 pm

While the top of this loop may not be as high as the inversion on Gatekeeper, this will still hold the world record for being the biggest vertical loop. And, of course, it is unique in that no other loop anywhere has track that will allow a car/train to ride over the top of it.

• adam

10/03/2012 at 9:12 am

It’s unique but nothing special, I’d say. they could have put the airtime hill anywhere.

10/03/2012 at 9:27 am

I would argue that anything unique is special, merely by the fact that nobody else has done it. It may not provide a special feeling during the ride, but you can’t say it’s not innovative. What I’m excited about is the future possibilities. If this works, I envision future coasters able to provide longer runs with smaller footprints by sharing track infrastructure like this. It could also potentially help to reduce manufacturing costs by lowering the number of supports needed.

12. Mike

08/31/2012 at 2:02 pm

I was really excited for this ride, but after seeing the animation, I’m not as thrilled. Don’t get me wrong, it’s a coaster and I love a new experience but I guess I let myself get so caught into speculation of those statistical specs that weren’t real, so much that the actual rendering was underwhelming. I think this coaster will look cool from a distance and especially flying over the Superman Plaza, but that rear launch however unique will entertain no doubt but still seams odd to break pace of what seams to be a speed coaster. Cedar point set the bar really high with their new addition so I only hope this is as fun as I think gate keeper will be. Updating that area around Full Throttle is unexpected but I hope it provide a nice spectator area for non riders.

13. JJJJ

08/31/2012 at 8:01 pm

Thoughts:

-Agreed that it looks short. Logs were such a long ride this one should be long as well. Only two trains is also a big disappointment. Why not two racing, one loading? SFMM doesnt care about wait times and that really suck.

-In fact, the ride looks sort of…..boring? I have a feeling it will end up being a lot like scream in popularity

-The tunnel stuff is all from the survey, back launch, effects, etc. Would be cool to have some kind of earthquake thing going on, the question is, will it be maintained?

Something super awesome would be having the roller coast enter the tunnel and brake with the imagery and sound of the tunnel collpasing…..so the train races backwards. Then onboard audio says “were going to burst through” and you speed in being sprayed with water (plus smoke plus lights make it seem like youre bursting through a wall)

-“in a newly themed five-acre section where guests will experience high-energy thrills through fast-paced imagery, sound and lights. ”
    Sounds like a great opportunity for flat rides in the theme of something interactive (like the buzz lightyear shooter ride thing) or a dark ride like indiana jones or spiderman 4d.

• Myles

09/01/2012 at 12:26 pm

That tunnel effect would be awesome. Sounds like something Universal Studios would do.

14. Nicholous Mirgoli

08/31/2012 at 8:23 pm

It says a Spring 2013 opening, so can we expect to see this thing up and running by early July? 🙂

• Donovan Boczko

09/04/2012 at 7:04 pm

I find speculating the opening is a bad idea, because with the parks history of parts being “left behind”, or other factors, the new rides always have a history of being delayed so I don’t let myself get too excited! Although April would be nice!

15. Spencer Maze III

08/31/2012 at 11:39 pm

Well, I have to admit this thing looks awesome!! However, it saddens me that SFMM keeps removing the classics, i.e. Log Jammer, to make room for “record setting” roller coasters. Look, I love coasters…pure and simple. And I do realize that rides like LJ are expensive to operate and maintain. But the LJ was absolutely my daughters favorite ride at the park. I can’t bring myself to tell her it’s closed. These are the times we live in. Gotta have the biggest and the best for the roller coaster junkies out there, and I’m fine with that. Just wish there was a way for them to hang on to some of the classics instead of sending them the way of the Dodo 🙁

16. Jaryd

09/01/2012 at 2:47 pm

This roller coaster looks pretty cool the loop looks awesome but I don’t know about the backwards launch but I wonder if theyll be able to open it by spring

17. Leo

09/02/2012 at 4:11 pm

Will Superman: Escape from Krypton be closed again? I ask this because in the animation, it shows Full throttle going through the superman plaza. Are they going to make a detour for the entrance, or will they just block the whole thing off?

09/02/2012 at 9:24 pm

There is already a tunnel underneath the Superman plaza. That’s where the old Metro monorail used to have a station. They shouldn’t need to close the plaza to work in there. They definitely can’t have foot traffic underneath when they mount the track that will be going over the top of the plaza. However, assuming it goes up during the offseason, they have the entire week to do the work before opening it back up on the weekend for Superman to be used. Six Flags has already said that no rides would need to be closed to install Full Throttle.

18. Misael

09/04/2012 at 10:48 am

For all who thibk that Gatekeeper Exceeds this, keep in mind, Cedar Point is on pretty much Flat Terrain, which allows them to create a coaster of that magnitude, while as Magic Mountain has a hilly terrain, making it difficult to build around it, and difficult for visitors to access a couple rides, besides we already have X2, not definitively a wing coaster, but we cant be completely selfish… just my opinion. To be honest I’m anxious for the opening of this ride, why, because I’m hoping to get some Airtime on that Top hat (mainly), top enjoy a different launch coaster in the park besides Superman EFK, enjoy the 160 foot loop, and hopefully, if they keep it running, enjoy the fog and effects in the tunnel. I know its the little stuff, but confident Magic Mountain officials made the right choice in coaster selection. To be honest again, I really wanted a Dive Coaster, but thats just me, and my opinion.

• Mike

09/05/2012 at 10:51 pm

I didn’t really understand the beginning of your post about flat terrain versus Magic Mountains hilly terrain. IMO, Magic Mountains hilly terrain would allow for fully customizable rides that really are unique only to that park. Flat terrain coasters could very well be anywhere, so this doesn’t really make a ride better than the next. Not only the terrain but creative freedom, and budget limitation are what these designers are constrained to, so the true magnitude of the ride should reside there, but let’s just hope Full Throttle is more fun than a lot of the initial pre-judged impressions.

19. Jacob

09/08/2012 at 2:28 pm

you know what they could do, since everyone is saying it’s so short, is after the top hat, make it follow the monorail path all the way around the park. they could make it do a barrel roll or something at one point & maybe something else at another point. then that would give it some time to wind down and it would make the ride much longer. & they could even add another launch to get it over the superman plaza for a second time on the way back. that would not take up any room at all. & it would make everyone happy! 🙂

09/08/2012 at 2:34 pm

Everyone except for the accountants, who would then be forced to navigate the company through another bankruptcy.

• Jacob

09/08/2012 at 2:42 pm

haha. true true. & we wouldn’t want that!

09/08/2012 at 9:36 pm

Earlier, I noticed that the Full Throttle video is now designated as “Private.” I wonder what happened? But you can still watch it here on the Six Flags Magic Mountain website.

21. Nathan

09/10/2012 at 7:05 pm

Since SFMM is adding a roller coaster with a massive loop with lapbars, does this bring to the fact that Revolution might get lapbars? It doesn’t make sense to me that they are making a huge looping coaster with lapbars however their classic one-loop coaster has needless OTSRs??? Hmmm…..

22. Ash M

12/24/2012 at 8:02 am

I can’t wait.. and I’m getting season passes again.. but one of your pictures, the one you claim that Full Throttle is behind Superman: Escape from Krypton, is actually false. Actually, that’s Tatsu and the Sky Tower. I just wanted to help you out, so its accurate. I just came from Magic Mountain yesterday and everything was blocked off for it. They even have boards with QR code for a virtual ride, but they weren’t working :/

12/24/2012 at 8:11 am

Thank you, but if you re-read my post carefully, you will note that I said it’s a shot of the track as it passes over the Superman “plaza”, which is 100% accurate. Tatsu and the Sky Tower are in the background.

23. Pingback: Full Throttle Construction Article Roundup - The Coaster Guy