Six Flags Magic Mountain Trip Report For 05 Oct 2012

By on 10/05/2012

Six Flags Magic Mountain Fright Fest 2012

Today is opening day of Fright Fest 2012 at Six Flags Magic Mountain, so I took a quick trip over there to see what the finished setup looked like in the daytime before the ghouls come out at night and spill human blood all over everything.

The Fright Fest sign hanging off of the main entrance sign in the photo above looks new to me. I don’t remember them doing that in years past.

Looks like I was right on the new setup in front of Flags. There are like 8 or 9 computer terminals setup to sell wrist bands, and barricades to form an orderly line. This should help make the wristband sales much more efficient than what they’ve done in the past:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Fright Fest 2012

Heading up the hill through Baja Ridge, the top half of the Chupacabra entrance has been installed and the sign mounted:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Fright Fest 2012

Be forewarned that because of the way the Chupacabra line is being routed through the X2 plaza, the shortcut stairway up the hill next to Panda Express has been blocked off:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Fright Fest 2012

There is a sign for the Willoughby’s Fright Feast in Rapids Camp Crossing, pointing up the stairs that lead up to Samurai Summit:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Fright Fest 2012

When you get to the top of Samurai Summit, there is a large queue setup for the Fright Feast in front of the Sky Tower. This seemed a little odd to me because the dinner is being held in the Laughing Dragon Pizza Co. building at the other end of Samurai Summit. I’m guessing they didn’t have the room for a queue down there with both Superman and the Black Widow maze so they are forming it here and then walking the entire group down together:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Fright Fest 2012

From the Sky Tower, there appeared to be something going on in the former entrance to Deja Vu. There were walls down, work trucks, maintenance workers, and a forklift. If you add up all the pieces, you get…..I have no idea:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Trip Report 05 Oct 2012

What the heck is this? Looks like some sort of canon, dressed up in Fright Fest webs:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Trip Report 05 Oct 2012

More Log Jammer logs have been moved to the front of the maintenance building behind Bugs Bunny World. They should auction those things off:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Trip Report 05 Oct 2012

This is the brand new entrance to the Willoughby’s Resurrected maze:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Fright Fest 2012

The new dance area in Cyclone Bay has gotten a little more festive. Maybe it’s just me, but if you glance at these skeletons, it looks like they’re flashing you:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Fright Fest 2012

I’m not sure if this has recently changed or I just never noticed it, but from the front of Jet Stream I do not believe it’s faster to the front gate by heading back to Apocalypse and up and over the back hill as opposed to walking back around the front. Do you? I sure as heck wouldn’t want to climb that back hill again if I didn’t have to:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Trip Report 05 Oct 2012

Sand Blasters has been transformed into Thumper Bumpers for Fright Fest:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Fright Fest 2012

And by transformed, I mean there is a yellow Thumper Bumper sign over the top of the Sand Blasters sign. I do not see any other changes to the ride. I know they are are supposed to have loud music and flashing lights, but I think they should fully enclose the ride and maybe pump in some fog. Combined with the lights and music, that would be worth riding:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Trip Report 05 Oct 2012

The DC Universe arch got its mandatory covering of spider webs:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Fright Fest 2012

I have no idea what these things are or why they bother to put them out each year:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Fright Fest 2012

Looks like the DJ’s setup on top of the DC Universe Store, covered in an insulating blanket to protect it from the sun, is ready to go for City Under Siege:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Fright Fest 2012

I must have seen at least 8-10 delivery guys shuttling supplies around the park today. I know they’re stocking up for a very busy weekend, but it seems like they could have done that earlier in the morning, before the park opened. Not a huge deal, just noticeable:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Trip Report 05 Oct 2012

Most of the light poles around the park have been covered with a giant plastic pumpkin. I’m not sure if they ran out of pumpkins or were just going for something different, but this one sure stands out. I hope it looks better at night:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Fright Fest 2012

You can’t go to Fright Fest and not ride Colossus backwards. It’s the only time of year you get to experience it. This is me on a very empty train, just before we pulled out of the station:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Fright Fest 2012

I almost sat in front of the two guys you see in the back (front?) of the train, but I’m sure glad I didn’t. One of them got sick around the second drop and threw up all over himself and his friend. If we were going forward, and they were behind me, it wouldn’t be an issue for me. However, since we were going backwards, I was fortunate not to get any on me. But I could still smell it the entire ride and it was not pleasant. Looked like he had a huge breakfast.

Here’s the train after we got off. They obviously had to do some serious cleaning before they could resume operations. What do they call that, a protein spill? Whatever it is, just remember that being a ride op isn’t always fun and games, boys and girls:

I still can’t get over the Happily Never After stage. I really like it:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Fright Fest 2012

Even Pistachio Park was all dressed up for the Fall festivities, with corn and pumpkins:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Fright Fest 2012

I wonder how long they think the individual pumpkins placed on the picnic tables will last:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Fright Fest 2012

This is interesting. If the line to buy a Fright Fest maze in the front of the park is too long, head on over to Six Flags Kids. Looks like they’ll be selling them as well:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Fright Fest 2012

The mystery of the trench from my last report has been solved. They added additional drainage. This makes sense because I repeatedly saw employees trying to squeegee water to a very small drain that was here, but it was clogged and the water just pooled up:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Trip Report 05 Oct 2012

The Off With Your Head stage looks complete and ready to be put into action tonight:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Fright Fest 2012

The Blackout maze got some additional blacking out. They affixed black tarps all the way around the perimeter of the building, keeping as much light out as possible:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Fright Fest 2012

Here you can see the tarp as it wraps around the building next to the exit:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Fright Fest 2012

I was so fascinated by this guy’s cone of red hair sticking straight up as he walked past me that I didn’t even notice his buddy’s hair until I got home and was looking at these photos:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Trip Report 05 Oct 2012

Fright Fest runs each weekend through October and the park is open extended hours each night as well. Be sure to check it out before it’s too late.

1. Andrew

10/05/2012 at 10:22 pm

I’m gonna be there tomorrow night. So they are running Colossus backwards during the day now? That’s nice! Did X2 have the Area 19 transformation?

10/05/2012 at 11:24 pm

I think they don’t start running Colossus backwards till after 5 or 6. Until then, of course, that side is closed. I’m not even sure if they run the other side forward during the day.

• Donovan Boczko

10/06/2012 at 11:09 am

When I was there yesterday (the 5th) they were ONLY running the backwards side, even when I got there around one o’clock.

2. Mike

10/05/2012 at 11:31 pm

Worked until 4pm took dinner at Black Agnus then nice night at Freight Fest. Colossus ran all day backwards. Will go to Sundays FF also as really had great time tonight. Time for sleep and do work again tomorrow. Great report Coaster Guy

3. SFMMCrazy

10/06/2012 at 10:35 am

No wonder at night it smelled like vomit in the que line in Colossus. They even put air freshener and it didn’t help and it still smelled awful!

• Ryan O

10/07/2012 at 2:26 pm

I was wondering what that smell was! Everyone was complaining about it.

4. Byron Lopez

10/06/2012 at 11:33 am

Got on colossus backwards last year and to tell u the truth I did not enjoy those old psyclone trains. By the way when I went a girl got sick but she was lucky enough to wait to the ride was over go to the side of the loading station where all those bushes are and let it come out

5. Byron Lopez

10/06/2012 at 11:38 am

What do u think they are doing in former location of dejavu

6. ruben

10/07/2012 at 1:28 am

what about the slingshot?

10/07/2012 at 6:06 am

It’s still sitting in the backlot, collecting dust. At this point, I’m starting to think its going to be part of the new themed area with Full Throttle.

10/07/2012 at 1:17 pm

That definitely makes sense, though it was odd that SFMM purchased it so long before it would be set up if it is in fact destined for ThrottleVille (or whatever it will be called).

7. Ryan O

10/07/2012 at 2:27 pm

I could not believe how few people were at the park on the first night of Fright Fest. The lines were so short that I even got to walk onto X2 without waiting.

8. DC Marvel

10/07/2012 at 3:09 pm

I went friday night. Loved it!!!! Blackout is soooooo much better than warehouse 13 last year! I went through every maze. There was barely any people!! I loved Colossus backwards!! It smelled so bad though! Willoughby’s is better this year in my opinion. My favorite maze was probably Jokesters’ Hideout with that spinning tunnel! Probably going today!

• Andrew

10/07/2012 at 8:56 pm

Today was amazing! Glad to see they switched the music on X2 and its even better than the regular music. There was nobody there today! X2 and Tatsu were walkons to the station. Even superman was a walk on! Colossus backwards was good, but they kept having to kick kids off because the height requirement is 54” instead of 48. That made it take forever.

9. JIMMY TOVAR

10/08/2012 at 5:46 am

Is it me or did Magic Mountain go all out for Fright Fest this year..?? Looking good!

10. aaron

10/08/2012 at 7:19 am

Went Sunday, best day ever. Every single ride was practically walk on. Rode drop of doom 7 times in ~15 mins. The mazes were decent, I let the girl I was with walk in front always, since the monsters usually only try to scare the girls/kids anyways. Blackout was the longest wait of the night, and my least favorite. Here hold a rope and walk through the dark…… hard to get scared when u can’t see anything. Definitely needed some kind of flashing light or surprise element to it. Thanks for the update.

11. Jeff Wesson

10/08/2012 at 9:17 am

I was there Friday night. We splurged and bought the front-of-the-line maze wristbands. Consequently, we were the first group ever to go through Whillowby’s Revistited! What an awesome make-over! The whole thing made much more sense, and actually looked like the inside of a haunted mansion. Loved all the new high-tech elements that were added! Also thought Aftermath was really cool, especially the 40 foot fireball that shot up every few seconds! No lines at all for the rides either. Got through 5 mazes and got on 8 roller coasters in 4 hours! Walked right onto X2, Apocolypse, Goliath, Superman, Gold Rusher, and Batman. Colossus backwards was a little different. Someone got off of one of the trains complaning that something in her seat was poking her. They ended up running that train empty until a maintanence man came by and hammered things back down. That made the wait around 20 minutes. Still not bad, but unfortunately, they were only running the backwards trains; not the forward ones. All in all, Fright Fest is really great this year! Highly recommended!

12. Moptop

10/08/2012 at 9:42 am

Thanks for the update. I hate to say it but I can’t attend this year. ūüôĀ I am on my way to New York as we speak and then I will be in Vegas for Halloween. Have fun for me. Btw that canon was used a few years back they were using it to shoot out big clouds of fog.

Also, any updates on Full Throttle?

10/12/2012 at 2:18 pm

We won’t see anything happening with Full Throttle until Fright Fest is over.

13. Gregg

10/11/2012 at 7:11 am

It’s funny how there are so many different opinions of blackout. It’s certainly a “love it” or “hate it” type of maze. Seems to be absolutely no middle ground.

Personally, I absolutely loved it and felt it was one of the best mazes at any of the 3 major SoCal events (Haunt, Fright Fest, HHN). Sure it doesn’t contain any effects or scenery, but it plays with your head and to me that’s much scarier than walking through a Haunted Line while looking at a cool looking maze effect.

10/12/2012 at 2:16 pm

This is why I hate to review or rate rides and attractions. Everyone’s opinion is different. I’ll provide a profile, with some of my personal opinions thrown in, but you’ll never see me rank rides. Way too subjective!

• kyle

10/15/2012 at 5:49 am

How do you walk through blackout? Cuz theres no light in there

10/17/2012 at 7:11 am

The 8 people sent in together all hold onto a rope and must find their way out.

14. Pingback: Sling Shot Construction At Six Flags Magic Mountain? |

15. Jaryd

10/14/2012 at 10:06 pm

Has it been crowded at fright fest this weekend because I plan on going and want to know if I should leave early

16. Joey

10/15/2012 at 2:52 pm

Wow, looking at all these comments saying how short the lines were the first week, I wish I had gone then! I went on the 13th and the lines were ENORMOUS! Longer than the two times I went in summer! 1 hour lines at least on average for ALL the major coasters (plus lex luthor). The park was so packed that they kept the park open for an extra 30 minutes!