UA-20143982-1 Sling Shot Construction At Six Flags Magic Mountain? - The Coaster Guy

Sling Shot Construction At Six Flags Magic Mountain?

By on 10/12/2012

A trip to Six Flags Magic Mountain this morning revealed some new construction that has started this week in Cyclone Bay. My trip report from last week (here) had noted some activity in that area, but it was unclear at the time what they were doing. Looking back now, they were building the construction wall. I’m waiting to hear back from the park, but all indicators are that this will be for the Sling Shot ride that has been sitting nearby, in pieces, for several months now. You can read some history about it here.

This is the new construction wall, between Totally Kick’n Chicken and the Epic Rides (Apocalypse) gift shop:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Sling Shot

The only camera I had on me today was my iPhone, as I wasn’t expecting to see anything new since my visit on Monday, so these are the best I could do. From the Sky Tower, you can see the new construction wall and the other walls that were behind it are gone. They had the footer locations marked off on the ground. Towards the top-left, you can see one that looks like it’s ready for a concrete pour. In the middle, bottom of the dirt, there is a guy in an orange work vest that appeared to be digging another one out with a shovel:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Sling Shot

A little bit wider shot shows where the ride is being installed relative to where Deja Vu was and Apocalypse is. You can also see the ride pieces in the top-left of the photo:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Sling Shot

I’ll try and get back to the park soon with my bigger camera to get some better shots. I have to admit that I’m not very excited about this ride. I’m not big on up-charge attractions. Are any of you eager to ride it?

10/12/2012 at 4:08 pm

Seems like an awful waste of space. If you combine the old Deja Vu area with the area where Mr. Six’s Dance Coaster was supposed to go, you’d have a decent sized area for a major new ride. Putting the sling shot where Thrill Shot used to be seems like it would make more sense. But I’m sure there’s a method to their madness.

Or a little madness in their method. ;)

• Jimmy Tovar

10/12/2012 at 4:47 pm

I am not excited or eager to ride it as well. In fact I have never cared, or ridden any of the up charge rides. I think its silly and a waste of money. By the way, is it me or is Apocalypse getting a fresh coat of paint?

10/12/2012 at 5:47 pm

This got me to wondering if the Sling Shot is a mid-year attraction. Magic Mountain has opened rides late in the year a few times.

Just looking again at the placement, if it is on the former Mr. Six’s Dance Coaster spot, then there’s still quite a bit of room for something else. But the former Thrill Shot site still would be better in my opinion.

As far as upcharge attractions go, I’ve ridden the go-karts, but that’s about it. Right now I don’t have $25 or more to plunk down on a single ride. Maybe someday when I’m rich and famous. ;)

Like you, Jimmy, I wondered why Apocalypse looked the way it did in the picture. The structure has always been unpainted or coated with a light colored stain. I’m wondering if the lighting may be what’s making it look lighter in color.

10/12/2012 at 8:01 pm

You guys have good eyes. I was so focused on the construction activity that I didn’t even catch that! It totally looks like it’s getting stained or painted. I wonder if the whole area will get a makeover with the new ride going in?

10/12/2012 at 10:44 pm

I kind of think that the Cyclone Bay theme is old and tired. And with no coaster called Cyclone (or Psyclone) there anymore, it almost makes no sense. The original crafts village of Spillikin Corners was nice, but one by one the crafts have been removed. Time for something new.

2. Baller

10/12/2012 at 5:46 pm

What’s going on with Apocalypse?? Looks like it
    has 2 different colors.

3. Byron Lopez

10/12/2012 at 5:49 pm

Can’t belive it’s been almost a year since dejavu is gone

4. Byron Lopez

10/12/2012 at 5:51 pm

I wonder what they are going to do with the dejavu queue

5. Tim

10/12/2012 at 8:23 pm

Is that the only thing they can come up with to put there, waste of space. They took out Deja Vu, so use that space, and the other empty space for a much more thrilling attraction than a carvinal sling-shot ride. They are wasting their time.

6. Brendan

10/13/2012 at 4:16 pm

It looks like it might just be a cloud leaving a shadow over Apocalypse. We’ve had rain and clouds the last few days over SoCal, and they leave shadows like that on the hills around me. I think people would have heard about a paint job.

7. JJJJ

10/14/2012 at 8:06 pm

Didnt they buy the version of the ride you can build in 48 hours?

Using prime space isnt an issue in that case, it could be moved at any time.

8. mrcobra92

10/14/2012 at 9:02 pm

I am actually very excited about this one, I have always wanted to go on one of these.

9. Jaryd

10/14/2012 at 10:08 pm

Has it been crowded at fright fest lately because I plan on going this Friday of Saturday and want to know if I should leave early. Because like the other events in SoCal it can get really crowded

10. Pingback: Neu 2013: Full Throttle (Premier Rides, Launch Coaster) @ Six Flags Magic Mountain - Seite 5