UA-20143982-1 Discover Financial Services Renews Partnership With Six Flags - The Coaster Guy

Discover Financial Services Renews Partnership With Six Flags

By on 11/28/2012

Discover Financial Services

After three successful years, Discover Financial Services has announced a multi-year extension to its corporate sponsorship with Six Flags Entertainment Corporation. As the official credit card of all U.S.-based Six Flags theme parks, Discover card holders will continue to receive special perks when using their Discover cards at the park, such as early admittance, in-park discounts, and access to exclusive events. Below are various ways that me and my family have benefited from using the Discover card at Six Flags.

As a fun way to promote Discover’s partnership with Six Flags, they sent one very lucky family (mine!) on a roller coaster trip of a lifetime. We drove across the country, stopping at five different Six Flags parks along the way, showcasing how you can both save money and receive special benefits by using your Discover card at Six Flags. This was me and my sons kicking off the tour right here at Six Flags Magic Mountain:

Discover Coaster to Coaster Tour SFMM

When you arrive at the park in the morning, don’t wait in the massive line at the main gate with everyone else. Look for the special Discover Cardmember Entrance, like the one below at Six Flags Over Georgia, located off to the side of the main entrance. Just flash your Discover card and you and your party will get priority access to the park:

Discover Card Entrance at Six Flags

Once you’re in the park, use your Discover card and save an instant 5% off any purchase. This is me paying for some on-ride photos from Goliath:

Discover Card at Six Flags

You never know when you might come across a special Discover card perk. When we were at Six Flags Great Adventure, El Toro was the Discover Ride of the Day. All you had to do was flash your Discover card and you went straight to the front of the line. Pretty cool, right? This is my wife and I, along with our pals Speedy Gonzales and Yosemite Sam, giving away some Discover gift cards to unsuspecting Discover card holders who just happened to be in the right place at the right time:

Discover Card Ride of the Day at Six Flags

All you need to take advantage of these benefits at your local Six Flags park is a Discover card. I’ll never go the park without mine, and you shouldn’t either. I’m proud to have Discover as an advertiser on this site. If you don’t have a Discover card, you should get one. Applying only takes a couple of minutes and all you have to do is click on one of the Discover ads listed on the right side of this page. If I have 10 people apply, I get a free car! No, actually I don’t, but it does help me defray some of the expenses in maintaining this site. I really do enjoy running this site for you, but it can get expensive. I’m not a big fan of ads, but they help pay the bills.

1. mike

11/28/2012 at 11:28 pm

I might need to get a real job to pay off my balance but tomorrow morning I will use your link and apply… so get ready to win your new car.

11/29/2012 at 9:34 am

Thank you, Mike. I appreciate the support!

• mike

11/29/2012 at 10:51 pm

I applied and failed the 60 second approval that their banner reads and now must wait 5-7 days to see if I’m approved. I had to stretch my income to $10k as that was min allowed to apply… Keeping my fingers crossed so I can get into the park just a little quicker on crowded days with the Discover Line at main gate… peace out

• mike

12/05/2012 at 2:48 pm

FOLLOW UP: Just wanted to let you know I got approved for a card and used your link. I will make you proud and represent your site and use my card with care .. thinking Funnel Cake will be my first purchase.

12/05/2012 at 2:50 pm

That’s awesome, Mike…congrats!!

2. Jeff Wesson

11/29/2012 at 7:13 am

Kurt, Because of you, I’ve had a Discover Card ever since I met you at Magic Mountain. I’ve used it several times to enter Magic Mountain early, including one time when I had over 15 family and friends visit!

11/29/2012 at 9:35 am

That’s awesome, Jeff! I’m glad to hear it’s really working well for you.

3. Casey

11/29/2012 at 7:50 pm

Why dont they use Visa or Master Card,or a card that more people use?I dont know anyone who has a Discover card.

11/30/2012 at 5:51 am

I’m guessing you’re a younger person, Casey. I don’t know hardly anyone who doesn’t carry a Discover card. It took me awhile to realize the benefits of a Discover card over the competition. There are other cards with great rewards programs, but you have to pay a huge annual fee to get those cards.

• Casey

11/30/2012 at 8:53 pm

Thanks,Kurt!

11/30/2012 at 7:07 pm

We got our Discover card in sort of an indirect way. Back in the ’90s, they offered a premium version of the card for those with higher incomes/exceptional credit ratings. That card was called “Private Issue.” At some point, though, Discover decided to convert all of their Private Issue holders to the regular Discover card.

Because of some financial difficulties in the past couple of years, we no longer have our Discover card—or any others for that matter. It’s all cash/check/debit for us.

5. Alex

12/01/2012 at 4:13 pm

Generally, back in the late 90s Discover was only giving cards to those who earn over $100k/year. Also, they don’t even consider anyone under 25. Now it’s not as hard, but still nearly impossible to get if you’ve had ANY credit/bank mishaps. I was denied a card and when I called in to ask why (the not approved letter had no real reason) they said it was because I’ve had too many overdraft charges in last 3 years with my primary checking account. I’ve had 9 overdraft charges in my whole life since I’ve been old enough to have a bank account. 9 overdraft charges in 15 years. So trust me, they really dig into EVERYTHING when applying. My credit score is 740 and improving all the time. Yet, it doesn’t matter to Discover. I’m not posting this to upset you Kurt, just giving some invite to those struggling like myself.

• Alex

12/01/2012 at 4:14 pm

Insight*

12/01/2012 at 10:45 pm

Doesn’t upset me in the least. I appreciate the candor.

6. Jaryd

12/01/2012 at 10:04 pm

I’ve been to sfmm a few times and I’ve never seen the discover card entrance. Can you please tell me where it is. Those minutes make the difference between walking on X and waiting 2 hours. :)

12/01/2012 at 10:47 pm

It’s hard to miss with all the signs. It’s the very left most entrance on the main gate. However, it’s only available for the first two hours after opening. Not that you’d need it after that.

• Jaryd

12/02/2012 at 8:32 am

Thanks Kurt.

7. Alex

12/01/2012 at 10:26 pm

It’s usually on the far left side of the turnstiles…