Don't Miss

Six Flags Magic Mountain Trip Report For 02 Dec 2012

By on December 2, 2012

Six Flags Magic Mountain Christmas

It’s been a very wet few days for us here in the Southern California area, and we’re not very used to it. However, that didn’t stop Six Flags Magic Mountain from opening this weekend. It was also the opening weekend for annual Toys for the Holidays drive.

Six Flags Magic Mountain once again teamed up with The Boys and Girls Club of Southern California, KTLA, and UPS to hold a toy drive at the park. Donate a new, unwrapped toy valued at $20 or more and you will receive free admission to the park for the day. Make sure you keep the price tag on and have the receipt available. Here is Bugs and Daffy posing for a picture with a guest in front of the donation tables in front of the park:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Christmas

The Toys for the Holidays event continues next weekend, December 8th and 9th. Bring a toy to the park and get free admission. It’s a great cause and a win-win for everyone.

I’m not sure what they have here, but it looks like an inflatable snow globe setup next to Santa’s gazebo inside the park. Based on the back drop, I’m guessing you might be able to climb inside and have your picture taken in a nice wintery setting, with snowfall:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Christmas

Both towers for the new Sling Shot ride have been erected and they are very colorful:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Sling Shot

This is where all the magic happens.. This box-o-springs is what creates the tension on the cables that then launch the ride vehicle skyward:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Sling Shot

All the rain we’ve had has turned the entire work area into a giant muddy mess:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Sling Shot

According to the building permit, each tower is 130′ tall. It looks like each colored section is 20′ long with the short, purple sections on top only 10′ long:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Sling Shot

I read somewhere that this is actually the portable model of this ride, designed to be moved from carnival to carnival and operated from the back of a truck. If that’s the case, the permanent mounting they’ve done here in concrete should be extremely stable:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Sling Shot

It was hard to tell from above, but you really start to get a sense for how massive the tower supports are as you get closer to them on the ground:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Sling Shot

There are cables everywhere, for both supporting the towers and launching the riders:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Sling Shot

This should give you a sense as to exactly where it’s being installed, right between Totally Kick’n Chicken and the Apocalypse gift shop, Epic Rides:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Sling Shot

There’s still nothing new to report on the Full Throttle construction, other than a bunch of standing water in the construction zone from all the rain:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Full Throttle

Most of the busted up concrete and debris has been removed from the site, with the exception of a bunch of felled trees. I snuck a peek through an opening in the construction wall you see below. It didn’t look like anything was going on inside the Palace games building yet, but I didn’t expect there to be until much later:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Full Throttle

I totally missed the repainted Samurai Summit sign last week, but I did see it in the MiceChat update (good eye, Gregg!). It’s interesting to me that they’re sticking with this theme for the top of the hill. Ninja and the Orient Express are the only two things up there that even fit the theme. Tatsu, in my opinion, is really in Rapids Camp Crossing. The Sky Tower isn’t themed for the area at all and Superman, despite its location, is really a part of DC Universe. So that begs the question, why bother refreshing this sign? However, it does look much better:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Samurai Summit

I didn’t happen to catch this until today, but I suspect this happened prior to the detour being opened up around the Full Throttle area. There used to be a few old, rusty turnstiles located right here from who knows when. I’m glad to see they finally removed them:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Entrance

1. Jaryd

12/02/2012 at 10:20 pm

Do u just bring one present or if u have two people do u need to bring two? And great update Kurt thanks.

12/02/2012 at 10:46 pm

I’m sure it’s one present/ticket per guest. Each person in your group should bring their own toy.

2. Jordan

12/02/2012 at 10:27 pm

We’re those the turnstiles that used to connect sfmm and the water show (now hurricane harbor?) or something else?

12/02/2012 at 10:49 pm

Something else. Somebody will need to confirm this, but I believe they were once the original entrance to the park. It’s also possible they were once used as a special entrance, perhaps for early entry or season pass holders. Anyone? Eric?

• Brian

12/03/2012 at 6:31 am

It used to be an Entrance to Hurricane Harbor from inside Magic Mountain and vice versa without having to exit the parks.

• AlexInLA

12/03/2012 at 9:40 am

Brian is 100% correct

• Magic Alumni

12/03/2012 at 2:52 pm

Actually, 100% incorrect. Those turnstyles were used for special events including those celebrity press days and other events that usually were during off park hours. The turnstyles that were between Hurricane Harbor and Magic Mountain were located almost right where you go behind the gate to get the “Joker’s Hideout” maze. The photo booth in Hurricane Harbor used to be the ticket booth to purchase tickets to SFMM when you were already in SFHH.

• Casey

12/03/2012 at 6:08 pm

Anyone know when they stopped using that entrance and how it was connected to Hurricane Harbor?

3. Ryan O

12/02/2012 at 11:54 pm

Those colorful towers remind me of Roller Coaster Tycoon. I love it!!

4. Neil

12/03/2012 at 12:24 am

To me it seems like the green and blue supports should be switched because It doesn’t blend the color spectrum that way. It goes ROYGBIV: red, orange, yellow, green, blue, indigo, violet.

5. Gregg

12/03/2012 at 11:14 am

Great update. I was going to try and get up there this weekend but decided to watch Homeland instead. ;)

Thanks for the shout-out. I agree, the Samurai Summit sign looks great.

6. Pingback: Neu 2013: Full Throttle (Premier Rides, Launch Coaster) @ Six Flags Magic Mountain - Seite 5

12/03/2012 at 4:58 pm

I didn’t think the sling shot ride was going to be that tall. Also, I wonder how long it will be there? Since the park purchased the traveling model, it seems like it would be easy to remove at some point to “rotate” to another Six Flags park. Oftentimes, I think Green Lantern is a candidate for rotation as well.

As for the turnstiles, I’m glad that Magic Alumni stepped in to answer the question because I honestly wasn’t sure what they were for.

It won’t be long (I hope) before vertical construction on Full Throttle will begin. Those updates are the ones I’m really looking forward to seeing.

• Casey

12/03/2012 at 6:06 pm

Maybe the space where Deja Vu used to be is going to be used for rides from the ride rotation program and nothing else?Does anyone know if this slingshot was used at any other park?

• J.D. Walters

12/08/2012 at 12:32 pm

I really hope that Green Lantern is put into rotation, and how… We could definitely use a Giant Frisbee/MaxAir in place of that. I just find GL to be non-thrilling for the price.

• Rusty

12/09/2012 at 6:13 pm

Maybe even too thrilling for the price!

8. Misael

12/03/2012 at 7:45 pm

Great Update, Sling Shot should be a fun place to stop in the upcoming summer, while taking a break from the coasters…. As for Full Throttle, does anyone have any projection or timeline (Estimate) of when vertical Construction begins??? Theorys?? Hypothesis????

9. Byron Lopez

12/03/2012 at 9:01 pm

Does anyone know what will happen to the dejavu queue. Is it going to be demolished?

12/07/2012 at 12:24 am

I would imagine that it would be demolished at some point, being that there is no more need for it. No one knows what may go into that spot in the future, but it’s most likely not going to be able to make use of the queue area as it stands now.

10. Charlene

12/04/2012 at 6:11 pm

Is it 20$ before or after tax?

• Casey

12/04/2012 at 7:59 pm

Thats what I wanted to know!

11. Byron Lopez

12/08/2012 at 9:23 pm

I don’t really consider green lantern a rollocoaster

• Brendan