UA-20143982-1 Superman Plaza Closed For Full Throttle Construction - The Coaster Guy

Superman Plaza Closed For Full Throttle Construction

By on 12/28/2012

As I was walking through Samurai Summit today at Six Flags Magic Mountain, I was stopped by a security guard and fence near the top of the old Eagle’s Flight/Black Widow Maze building. He informed me that the entire lower plaza was closed due to construction of the Full Throttle roller coaster, even though I didn’t see any. When I asked him when it would reopen, he said it wouldn’t until the construction of the new roller coaster was complete. I knew this was most likely not accurate information, but I didn’t press the issue as I knew that he wasn’t the best person to be getting that type of information from.

Here is where the fence and the security guard were located:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Full Throttle Construction

I’m not quite sure why they chose to block it off here. Lots of people were walking down the hill before being turned back. Since there isn’t anything between here and Ninja/Orient Express, they should have blocked it off further up the hill so as not to inconvenience park guests any more than necessary. The only explanation I can think of is that it was easier for the park to block it here as it was narrower and only required two fence sections.

After making my way to the back side of the park, there was another fence blocking off the path leading up the hill by Gold Rusher. Now it became very clear what work was being done. Several workers were installing construction walls along the path:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Full Throttle Construction

It looks like they already removed part of the fence around the corner where some of the new footers are going to be installed. Either that or they put the construction wall behind it, which I highly doubt:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Full Throttle Construction

The fact that they are putting up construction walls here tells me that this path will eventually be reopened. However, it’s still unclear whether or not the actual Superman Plaza on top of the hill, or at least an access path to Superman, will be reopened at all during construction. If they’re installing footers in the plaza, or even just the track across the top, I imagine Superman will be seeing a lot of down time during this construction.

If you look in the background, behind the trees, you will notice that a good section of the hill has already been excavated and there is a marker where a footer will likely go:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Full Throttle Construction

Here’s a little closer shot, not that it really shows anything more:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Full Throttle Construction

In addition to Superman, Gold Rusher has also been closed for the last few days due to the construction. There has been a lot of Full Throttle work on the other side of the hill, right next to the Gold Rusher track. So much for the park’s statement that no rides would be have to be closed due to this construction. I never did see how that would be possible:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Full Throttle Construction

Lots of activity on the front side of the hill as well, even though it pretty much always looks the same. I think I saw 4-5 bulldozers working simultaneously up there today:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Full Throttle Construction

1. zac

12/28/2012 at 11:47 pm

if they don’t have an issue with the rides programming, I really do believe they will finish by the spring 2013 deadline

12/29/2012 at 8:09 am

They really do seem to have jumped into high gear lately. Even with all of the inclement weather we’ve been having, it still looks like lots of progress is being made.

12/29/2012 at 8:50 pm

The really wet part of the year isn’t here yet (and is usually in late February or March), but hopefully they can get the majority of footers (or all of them) done before then. At that point, it’ll just be a matter of attaching supports and track, which can be done fairly easily and quickly.

2. Mikey

12/29/2012 at 12:00 am

Seem like Superman does not want to stay open haha. First for the new version of Superman then for Lex Luthor DOD and now Full Throttle. What’s next for Superman to be closed after that? Lol

12/29/2012 at 8:52 pm

Maybe they haven’t removed the Metro track that runs under Superman, so they’ll close it to do that—after Full Throttle is all finished, of course. ;)

3. James

12/29/2012 at 7:21 am

Is it just the plaza that will be closed, or the entire ride?

Is there an alternative route to get to the entrance of the ride, without crossing the plaza?
    I can’t remember if there is, but there would be no reason for the ride to stay closed, right?
    Or am I missing something ?

12/29/2012 at 8:14 am

That’s a very good question and one I don’t have an answer to yet. You must cross the plaza to get to Superman. It is possible they could leave a small path open along the side to get to the entrance, but I doubt it. The path would have to cross under construction going on overhead, which is a safety risk. If they do have a path, I’m sure it will be closed often as they are working in that area.

• bejammin

12/29/2012 at 9:41 am

What they may do is close the area until the concrete for the footers is poured as it takes 30-45 days for the concrete to cure. I’m sure during that time both superman and gold rusher can be safely run.

4. Caleb

12/29/2012 at 10:53 am

It sucks that Superman is closed AGAIN considering how much it’s been closed since being converted to S:EFK…. Oh well I guess it can’t be avoided?

5. Bob winek

12/29/2012 at 9:38 pm

Gold rusher was open today
    Does x have problems in rain cause also a no go for x

6. JJJJ

12/30/2012 at 12:42 am

Does six flags make available online a schedule for when rises are open?

Planning a family trip soon and NEED superman to be open that day.

Also would be nice to pick a day where both x2 and tatsu are scheduled to be open. I dont think Ive EVER been to the park on a day when both were open. Its pretty amazing.

• josh

12/30/2012 at 8:23 am

download ride hopper on your smartphone. tells you what rides are down and live wait times. pretty spot on to.

12/30/2012 at 8:45 am

Ride Hopper is only as accurate as the information people put into it, which is usually wrong. I was using it the other day and nothing was right. Off by over an hour. There were even wait times reported within the last 30 minutes for rides that were closed for the day. People screw around with it too much to make it reliable.

• josh

12/30/2012 at 12:58 pm

really? maybe i’ve been lucky because it has always worked well for me.

12/30/2012 at 8:40 am

Nope, they sure don’t.

7. Casey

12/30/2012 at 10:16 am

Mayne they’ll is use supermans downtime to pit in that forward facing train tjey have been talking about.Seems pretty reasonable if its gonna ne down for so long,right?

• josh

12/30/2012 at 1:00 pm

it would be nice to be able to choose to ride forward or backward, although then they would be commited to running both sides all the time instead of just opening the second side as needed

8. Andrew

12/30/2012 at 10:32 am

It says Superman is temporarily closed on SFMM’s website. So looks like it’s down.

12/30/2012 at 7:57 pm

Nice catch. I don’t think they go through the trouble of announcing it on their web site like that unless it’s going to be down for awhile. Ill have to post a quick blurb about that. Thanks for the heads up!

9. Casey

12/30/2012 at 2:24 pm

Ever since they revamped it to make S:EFK they promised that the trains would move forward and backwards.They have an extra train under X2 so it sounds like it could be a possibility.Every time they’ve closed superman these past few years there has been a new addition.I guess we’ll see when they open Full Throttle.

• SFMMCrazy Productions

12/30/2012 at 4:59 pm

They will never reuse the old cars. The new cars are changeable so they are able to turn them around.

12/30/2012 at 8:00 pm

I agree with this, but why do you suppose they kept one of the old cars and are protecting it with a tarp? Are there any usable parts on the old cars that can be used on the new ones, like perhaps the magnets?

• SFMMCrazy Productions

12/30/2012 at 9:24 pm

The tarp is all ripped up and done with. I guess they use it for testing purposes only.

• Casey

01/04/2013 at 1:04 pm

Then maybe they’ll use one of the the new cars then,huh? ;)

10. Byron Lopez

12/30/2012 at 7:41 pm

I’m going to appreciate this time to ride lex for the gondola won’t shake as much

11. Pingback: How Long Will Superman: Escape From Krypton Be Closed? |

12. Bob

12/30/2012 at 11:08 pm

Hey Kurt. I am planning on going tomorrow with my family. How have the lines been these past couple days with the cold weather in town?

12/31/2012 at 6:03 am

The 24th was completely dead, most likely with families spending Christmas Eve together at home. The 27th and 28th were massively crowded, despite the cold weather. People were out having fun after the holiday while still on vacation. Lots of out of state plates in the parking lot. I suspect today will be busy as well with people still on vacation and getting in one more trip before their 2012 passes expire. But that’s just a guess.

13. michaelochs

01/01/2013 at 11:50 pm

i went on the 29th and it wasn’t even packed really, the parking lot never made it all the way to Scream which i was happy about, got to ride TATSU 4 times, and when i got off the 4th time there was no line anymore but i was like no more must rest, also the only fence they had was right there at the top of the superman hill where it curve’s left to SEFK and the building they used for the halloween dinner the whole hill was accessible except for superman and all the other areas that are normally unaccessible to us, I guess they changed alot in one day, thankyou though for the update and Happy New Year.

14. Pingback: Full Throttle Construction Article Roundup - The Coaster Guy