Don't Miss

How Long Will Superman: Escape From Krypton Be Closed?

By on December 30, 2012

The Superman: Escape from Krypton plaza at Six Flags Magic Mountain was recently closed (here) due to the construction of their latest roller coaster, Full Throttle. There has been some discussion about whether or not Superman will reopen before the Full Throttle construction is complete. The park may have just answered that question indirectly by this recent update they made to their web site:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Superman Closed

I don’t believe the park would have made this change if the ride was only going to be down for a short period of time while they put up some construction walls. This tells me that it will likely be down for awhile. What do you think?

1. Michael

12/30/2012 at 8:57 pm

God damn it! Can they ever keep that ride open for more than a year? Hope they will have it open in the spring.

• israel

01/27/2013 at 12:21 pm

the stupid thing about is that everyone in the 8th grade wont be able to expierence the thrill they better have it open i’m a 8th grader i will be mad if they don’t have it open by spring ..

2. Great American Coasters

12/30/2012 at 9:05 pm

They waited to long and they now have to close Superman when alot of people are going to the park. They were going to do this like a month ago and close Superman for one weekend. Superman should open back up in a week or two if they even do anything productive, but knowing Six Flags they will keep Superman closed for month or even longer.

3. Xander

12/30/2012 at 9:30 pm

Who knows. Technically, they should always update the website with periodic closures.

At least it will be quiet.

4. Alex

12/30/2012 at 11:45 pm

The closure notice up above doesn’t directly or indirectly tell us anything. In fact, lazy-ass six flags used the same “stock” graphic when it was originally shut down for its transformation to Escape from Krypton. The ride goes backwards and has been for some time now… I don’t see how this update on there website is even remotely relevant to Full Throttle, the closure notice was created way before the log jammer was even shut down, and they are just reusing it for the closure notice of full throttle… Typical Six Flags.

12/31/2012 at 6:05 am

You’re missing the point. Regardless of the graphic itself, the fact that somebody took the time to update the web site with the closure notice tells us that the ride will likely be down for some time.

12/31/2012 at 1:56 am

My sister and I were at the park late this afternoon to get our 2013 season passes, and we stayed till about 8pm. She has not ever ridden Superman in any form, forward or backward, but since I knew it was closed, we didn’t even go up there. Perhaps once the Full Throttle track over the plaza is done, they’ll reopen the ride.

On another note, I wonder if they’ll put up some sort of shield to protect guests walking underneath, being that very few rides in the park pass over the walkways. Nothing like that is shown in the video, but as we know the actual ride may vary.

01/01/2013 at 9:45 pm

They shouldn’t have to, but I suspect they will for obvious reasons.

6. Donovan Boczko

12/31/2012 at 10:49 am

My guess would be a very lengthy closure for S:EFK, and here is my reasoning. The track that goes over the plaza is going to require cranes for most of the installation, and we probably won’t see the plaza area open until, at least, the tunnel portion is complete due to where the cranes will be placed, and how the track will need to be installed. When the park said that no ride will need to close, I could not fathom how that would be possible. I look forward to the construction, because I love to watch a great coaster take shape. Thanks for the heads up on the closure, Kurt.

7. Anon

12/31/2012 at 1:18 pm

I remember when they were testing Lex Luthor out, they had sent employees to go ride Superman. As soon as everyone saw/heard the ride running many guest had headed up the Superman hill only to find out it was closed. Funny but sucks for guest as well. The closure though will be a relieve though for Lex Luthor, the sound is a pain especially if you work at that ride.

• JJJJ

12/31/2012 at 3:07 pm

I would think the sound is more than a pain for ride employees, but eventually will be a big money lawsuit due to permanent damages.

• AvgCoaster

12/31/2012 at 3:42 pm

This brings up a really good point, what happens “if” supermans life comes to an early demise, since LLDOD is so new I doubt they would take down the whole tower. Interesting thought.

12/31/2012 at 11:27 pm

Excellent question. Given the age of Superman, I would expect it to be retired long before Lex Luthor is, but what do I know?

8. Mark

12/31/2012 at 8:46 pm

I’ve only been on superman once (in the backwards mode) and found the loudness extremely painful. The ride was OK but the pain of the noise detracted from the (short) ride. Top Thrill Dragster goes faster but it is not as noisy. If I ever go on it again I’ll bring ear plugs.

I haven’t been on the drop tower yet, but I feel sorry for the employees who have to listen to superman all day. I hope the occupational safety department of SFMM gives them ear plugs to protect them.

• Anon

12/31/2012 at 11:15 pm

They do offer them to the employees of they do wish to use them. When I worked on the ride as an operator we always had them at our panel for safety purposes. Also the reason why they say Superman is loud is to replicate how loud it is when he enters into outerspace.

01/01/2013 at 12:25 am

Funny…I never notice the noise when I ride, but always when I walk underneath the track. Maybe it’s just me…

01/01/2013 at 7:10 am

It’s not just you. The noise isn’t very loud when you’re actually on the ride.

• Donovan Boczko

01/01/2013 at 2:10 pm

I have gotten so used to the roar of Superman that it has become part of the park to me. If you wonder if Superman is closed, you just have to listen for a minute or two, and you will get your answer. But a question I have always wanted answered is why is it so loud? My guess would be the weight of the car pushing down on the steel track, but rides that are much faster do not roar like that. Anybody know the real reason for Superman’s “Scream”?

9. Michael

01/11/2013 at 4:15 pm

Six flags said something new….. SUPERMAN: Escape from Krypton will be closed intermittently during Full Throttle construction.