UA-20143982-1 Full Throttle Construction Update #3 - The Coaster Guy

Full Throttle Construction Update #3

By on 12/31/2012

I wasn’t going to go to Six Flags Magic Mountain today, New Years Eve 2012, because I figured it might be too crowded for my liking. However, since I hadn’t processed my 2013 season pass yet, I realized I wouldn’t easily be able to get into the park next week without a parking permit, so I braved the crowd and headed over this morning. As long as I was there, I thought a final Full Throttle construction update for 2012 was in order.

The assembly of the rebar cages for the footer wells is still going strong:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Full Throttle Construction

Not only are they starting to get quite a pile of cages all over the construction site, but there are also quite a few starting to pile up behind Apocalypse as well:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Full Throttle Construction

From the Sky Tower, you can just make out the excavation of the hillside they have been doing on the opposite side of the Superman plaza from the main construction area:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Full Throttle Construction

It looks like there are two different levels they cleared:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Full Throttle Construction

From the side, you can more easily see the two different levels they cleared:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Full Throttle Construction

The upper level is roughly the same height as the tunnel:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Full Throttle Construction

It’s hard to see in this photo, but they dug down and right up to the concrete sidewalk. You can see how far down they went by looking at the dirt wall on the right. The area on the left, with the markers lying down, is still level with the sidewalk:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Full Throttle Construction

As you walk up the back path, by Gold Rusher, you will see the new construction walls that were put up the other day. You’ll also notice that they cut away some of the concrete path:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Full Throttle Construction

Looking over the wall you will notice that in addition to removing some of the concrete, they also had to cut down another tree:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Full Throttle Construction

A little further up the hill, another small spot has been cleared for a footer:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Full Throttle Construction

Looking back down on that second spot, it’s really not that small:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Full Throttle Construction

All of the removed fence sections are stored nearby, so they’ll eventually be replaced:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Full Throttle Construction

The only thing to report on the front section of the construction site is that that the machine they use for drilling the footer wells, as well as the associated drill bits, is onsite, so we’ll probably start seeing some footers going in pretty soon:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Full Throttle Construction

This is my last post for 2012. It’s now almost 11:00 pm on New Years Eve (West coast) as I write this and the new year is almost here. I’d like to thank you all for a wonderful 2012 and I wish you all peace, health, happiness, and a very prosperous 2013! -Kurt

1. Bob winek

12/31/2012 at 11:20 pm

Have they brought in any new track

12/31/2012 at 11:25 pm

Good question. Sorry I didn’t mention it. No, there is no new track. I only saw the same 5-6 pieces that have been there the last week or two.

2. Bob winek

12/31/2012 at 11:33 pm

Thanks
    I think I asked this last week but do they have a date for the debut
    Sorry if I have already

01/01/2013 at 9:47 pm

No formal date has been announced yet. All we know if that it will be Spring/Summer 2013. Interpret that however you like.

3. Casey

01/01/2013 at 12:51 pm

Happy New Years,Kurt!Do you know when S:EFK will open again?Anytime Soon?

01/01/2013 at 9:48 pm

Considering that the park has updated their web site to show the ride as being closed, I suspect that it will be down for awhile.

4. AvgCoaster

01/01/2013 at 1:08 pm

Keith thank you for the New Years wishes, I hope you have you and all your peers have a peaceful, healthful, happy, and a prosperous 2013 as well! Oh and as always, thanks for all the updates in 2012!

01/01/2013 at 9:49 pm

Thank you (I think you’re referring to me). I hope you have a great 2013 as well!

5. JJJJ

01/01/2013 at 2:31 pm

I dont understand why they closed superman if theres no work in the plaza.

Youd think theyd want their main rides open during the busy holiday week.

01/01/2013 at 9:50 pm

One would think so.

• Thomas

01/02/2013 at 5:54 am

But, you have to remember this is Magic Mountain. They don’t think that way. The same reason they are running coasters in the busy season with only one train.

6. Baller

01/01/2013 at 3:35 pm

I really think that six flags should hurry on getting their coasters open on time in spring. If you buy a season pass and think about it, your actually wanting to ride the new rides opening for that year. Instead of opening in april or may they open later in 2 or 3 months. For example, Cedar Point is almost done with their coaster for next year and it’s way longer than Full Throttle. Yea the hill has to do with it but they barely got their track pieces. They could have done all this clearing up for foooters while they waited for the footers or track pieces, i guess they were too concentrated on the slingshot. But of course its just my opinion what do you think fellows?

01/01/2013 at 9:52 pm

I think there are always extenuating circumstances that we aren’t privy to, but historically, yah, the park does appear to always be a bit behind the construction curve. Especially given the favorable climate that they have to work in compared to other parts of the country.

7. Baller

01/01/2013 at 3:37 pm

And Kurt, awesome job with the updates thanks so much have a safe, peaceful and healthy new year (: your work you do is appreciatated by all of us here.

01/01/2013 at 9:53 pm

Thank you very much!

8. michaelochs

01/01/2013 at 11:32 pm

My family and I went to SFMM on the 29th and SEFK was closed, and apparently X2 was down to due to the rain and maybe snow flurries from the morning (don’t know if that was the actual weather for them in the morning around 9:40 but my family and I was on the freeway from palmdale,CA and we had snow flurries and all, anyway I want to thank you Kurt for keeping us all up to date on SixFlagsMagicMountain I’ll be on this site a lot more because it has actual updates besides someone on youtube thankyou.

• michaelochs

01/01/2013 at 11:34 pm

for got the last ) after the 9:40.

9. Casey

01/03/2013 at 12:44 pm

I think being late on everything is SFMM’s promise to their customers. :)