Don't Miss

Gold Pass Holders Get Early Park Access In 2013

By on January 3, 2013

2013 Six Flags Gold Pass

If you bought the new Gold Pass from Six Flags Magic Mountain this year, then you should know that one of the benefits of that card is early access to the park. I wasn’t paying attention when I arrived this morning and instinctively went straight to the Discover card entrance. Upon being let in at 10:25, five minutes before the park opened to the public, I was informed that I could have gotten in even earlier with my Gold Pass.

Starting on January 1st, there is now a special Gold Pass members entrance on the far right side of the main gate:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Gold Pass Entrance

I took the above photo from inside the park, looking back towards the main gate. As you can see, the new Gold Pass entrance is wide open on the left as the masses huddle behind the main gate on the right. The Gold Pass line opened at 10:15 this morning and the Discover line opened at 10:25. I checked with Guest Relations and they said the Gold Pass line’s official opening time will be 10 minutes before the park opens, and all operating rides should be available for immediate boarding. In other words, they don’t let you in early only to make you wait in a queue for the rides to open at 10:30. Sorry Discover, but I think I’m going to have to jump ship and start using the Gold Pass line.

On a related note, I also asked Guest Relations about the deadline for processing season passes to get the free upgrade to the Gold Pass. She confirmed that it has indeed been extended from January 6th to January 27th. However, the passes still need to be purchased by January 6th to qualify for the free upgrade.

1. Mike

01/03/2013 at 4:28 pm

Why does this park get everything? It’s so umfair SFMM sucks and Is so overrated alright nuff said.

• Zach

01/03/2013 at 7:50 pm

What are you talking about? All of the Six Flags parks (with the exception of Great Adventure) offer the Gold Season Pass this year. If you have a Gold Pass you can get in early…

• zac

01/03/2013 at 9:30 pm

well of course they are going to receive the best, they are the most profitable six flags park.

01/03/2013 at 10:00 pm

Let’s see – SFOT got the New Texas Giant makeover (2011), SFOG got Dare Devil Dive (2011), and SFGAm got X-Flight (2012), all three of which are kick-ass rides. SFMM got Green Lantern (2011) and Lex Luthor (2012). I’d trade both of those for any one of the above three rides. For 2013, SFOT is getting Texas SkyScreamer and SFFT is getting the Iron Rattler transformation. Sure, SFMM is getting Full Throttle, but it’s not accurate to say they get everything.

2. Andrew

01/03/2013 at 5:22 pm

At the parkk ri ght now. Usedc gold pass line and got in at 10:20. Goiath was ready for us at 10:25. Rode withj 5 other people. I also saw you walking down t he stairs from Scream this morning around 11:10.

01/03/2013 at 6:56 pm

Yah, I was up taking pics of the new trams, seeing if the last two had shown up yet. Please say Hi next time. I love meeting new people in the park.

• Andrew

01/03/2013 at 8:09 pm

I wasn’t sure it was you at the time. But then I was like “That looks like The Coaster Guy!” When I saw your camera, haha. I will meet time.

• Andrew

01/03/2013 at 8:10 pm

Oh, and Lex Luthor was open around 4:30 PM today. Said it was closed due to high winds.

01/03/2013 at 8:38 pm

Not even. I specifically asked the two guys if it was closed due to high wind and they said “No, it’s currently down for maintenance, but we hope to have it back up and running soon. Please just keep checking back.” Besides, I’m pretty sure the winds were higher at 4:30 pm than they were at 11:00 am.

3. Andrew

01/03/2013 at 9:39 pm

That’s really strange. From about 1:30-4:30, the gondolas were just sitting at the top of the tower. Then they dropped and then a few tests were performed, and it opened.

01/03/2013 at 9:47 pm

So it sounds to me like they finally got it fixed by 1:30, but by then the winds were too high to operate. They park the gondola up high like that to indicate that the ride is offline, since people can see that from all over the park. It’s very clever.

01/03/2013 at 10:30 pm

Maybe they should park coaster trains at the top of their lift hills if they’re not running. That would save people from wondering if they were open.

4. Robert

01/04/2013 at 4:33 pm

Hey Kurt. If one person I have a Gold Pass and my 2 friends have Thrill Passes, would SF let us all in early?

01/04/2013 at 4:56 pm

I don’t believe so. Unlike the Discover card entrance where you can get up to six people in with one Discover card, I think everyone in the Gold Pass line needs to have their own Gold Pass.

5. Robert

01/04/2013 at 5:02 pm

Can check that out next time you go? I won’t be able to go to SF for another month

6. JJJJ

01/05/2013 at 12:15 am

Any idea when the season pass processing hut opens?

01/05/2013 at 6:30 am

No idea, but it’s usually open before the park. If you processed your data online, go straight to the employee guarding the door. They sometimes have a special line for those people as opposed to those who bought at the gate.

7. MC

01/05/2013 at 8:10 am

LOL … Guarding the “Hut” door.

8. Brad

01/05/2013 at 9:25 pm

It doesn’t seem like 15 minutes is really going to make that much of a difference with getting a “head start” on the rides. I would have expected at least a half hour.

01/05/2013 at 10:47 pm

It doesn’t sound like a lot, but it really is. I’ve gotten as little as a 5 minute head start from the Discover line and been the sole rider on Tatsu, Superman, Apocalypse, Goliath, Batman, and Riddler’s. Pretty much all of the major rides except X2. Not all on the same day, of course, but over time. As long as you know where you’re heading, you can pretty much get on the first train of the day.

However, I’ve also been at the back of a long Discover line where the main gate opened before we were all in. Needless to say, I wasn’t on the first train of anything those days. They just need to ensure that they open the priority access lines early enough to let all those people in before the main gates open. It’s not much of a benefit if those who don’t have the special pass are getting in before you, right?

• Andrew

01/06/2013 at 9:20 am

Well being at the back of the Discover line is still a lot better than being at the back of the regular line. If the discover line opened earlier then you would get in earlier than you would have if you waited in the regular line still. It still benefits you, just not as much as it could. But that really varies depending on the time they open the discover gate and the time you arrived.