UA-20143982-1 Full Throttle Construction Update #4 - The Coaster Guy

Full Throttle Construction Update #4

By on 01/03/2013

It’s only been a few days since my last update, one of which was even a major holiday, but Six Flags Magic Mountain appears to be making solid progress on the Full Throttle roller coaster construction. Here are the first construction photos of 2013.

The biggest update today was that footer installation has commenced in the Superman Plaza to support the Full Throttle track as it passes overhead:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Full Throttle Construction

On the left, two large rectangular wells have been dug to receive footers:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Full Throttle Construction

On the right, a drill was actively digging a footer well as I took the photo:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Full Throttle Construction

It’ll be interesting to see what they do with the Superman logo that was so prominently displayed in the middle of the plaza. Since it was formed in the concrete, you can’t just get rid of the paint and have it not be visible anymore. I really hope they don’t just leave it there, with small chucks of it taken out or obscured by the new footers. That would be tacky.

As I was riding Gold Rusher the other day, I noticed they had cleared land for some footers between the Superman Plaza and the Gold Rusher track, right before it heads up the second lift hill. I haven’t been able to get a shot of them, but they are just to the left of this track and down a little bit:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Full Throttle Construction

Still nothing new to report in the front area other than continued rebar cage assembly:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Full Throttle Construction

Samurai Summit has been blocked off just past Ninja and Orient Express. This is where they should have blocked it off the other day, rather than making people walk further down the hill before turning them back. This guy confirmed that Superman will be closed until Full Throttle opens to the public later this year:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Full Throttle Construction

As you can see, this has become a storage area for the rebar cages that will be dropped into the footer wells being drilled in the Superman Plaza. I believe these were the cages that were stored behind Apocalypse recently, because those are now gone. I also saw some cages along the path leading to the plaza. It’s hard to see, but you can just make out the tip of one of the cages in the bottom-left corner of the walkway in the very first photo above:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Full Throttle Construction

There were too many trees and shadows to see what was going on from the Sky Tower, but it was obvious that lots of work was taking place along the back path as well:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Full Throttle Construction

From the ground, the back path next to Gold Rusher was bustling with activity:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Full Throttle Construction

I saw at least one rebar cage ready to be dropped into a hole. The yellow machine in the background was moving around lots of dirt on the hillside next to the tunnel:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Full Throttle Construction

Hiding behind the trees, there was a machine actively drilling a footer well, just like the one up in the plaza was doing. They are not wasting any time:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Full Throttle Construction

Lastly, there was a truck in the back lot dropping off another piece of track:

1. Gregg

01/03/2013 at 2:46 pm

Cool, thanks for the update. Thinking of going to the park for a bit tomorrow since I’m meeting some friends in the area for drinks.

01/03/2013 at 3:09 pm

I’m going to head down to Knott’s tomorrow and grab a Platinum Pass. I really want to hit some Cedar Fair parks this year.

2. Brad

01/03/2013 at 2:48 pm

It’s really great to see how much progress they’re making this early in the year. I can’t wait to eventually ride the new coaster!

3. Mike

01/03/2013 at 2:52 pm

Is Ninja closed also during the build?

01/03/2013 at 3:14 pm

Nope, Ninja is unaffected by the construction. However, it’s been opening late because of the cold weather. They have to load up the cars with sand bags in the morning and run it several times to get the grease warmed up enough for the train to make it all the way to the bottom. Then, they need to remove all the sand bags before they open to the public. I think this should all be done before the park opens, so as not to inconvenience guests, but I don’t run the place.

4. Jimmy Tovar

01/03/2013 at 3:27 pm

Great update Kurt! I just hope they don’t mess the Superman logo up. It would be such a big screw up.

• Misael

01/03/2013 at 3:54 pm

lol that superman sign messes up by itself.. I would like to see them repaint it after they finish construction of Full Throttle

01/03/2013 at 3:54 pm

You mean mess it up more? They’ve already cut and drilled into it. I don’t think it can be saved as is, but I’d rather have a new ride than a logo. I just hope they properly get rid of it as opposed to leaving it there, scarred.

5. Casey

01/03/2013 at 4:01 pm

Great Update,maybe Full Throttle will open earlier than expected with so much progress!!! :)

01/03/2013 at 10:34 pm

Not sure if I’m in the minority here, but I really don’t like the fact that the Superman logo was trashed on account of Full Throttle. Even if they clean it up and restore it, having a coaster’s footers and supports plopped right down in the middle of it just ruins the whole idea of it. Of course I understand that space at the park is sort of at a premium, and they have to do what they have to do, but still…

7. Tyler Chinappi

01/04/2013 at 3:58 pm

when will your next update be?

01/04/2013 at 4:03 pm

I’m going to try and swing by there on Sunday, but no guarantees. If not, then the following weekend.

8. jjjjjjj

01/04/2013 at 6:53 pm

Look at the parking lot under future superman logo treatment?

• JJJJ

01/05/2013 at 12:19 am

phone error. I was referring to the painted parking lot lines under Scream.

01/05/2013 at 6:31 am

I couldn’t figure out what the heck you were talking about. ;-)

9. Casey