Full Throttle Construction Update #6

By on 01/20/2013

Full Throttle Construction

Full Throttle construction at Six Flags Magic Mountain finally caught a break from the weather. Despite being below freezing just a week ago, temperatures are now back up to the 70’s and 80’s and the Full Throttle construction is plowing ahead.

Don’t forget that during the construction, there is a detour path behind the Mporium store to get you around to the backside of the park without having to go over the hill. Just be careful not to follow the arrow if it’s pointed towards the entrance, like it was this morning:

Full Throttle Construction

Six Flags Magic Mountain had a really nice wrap made for the main construction wall promoting this exciting new roller coaster from Premier Rides, but they’re covering it up. With the exception of “Coming Summer 2013,” most copy is being blocked or obscured by retail merchandise racks or other signs. On a brighter note, check out that beautiful weather:

Full Throttle Construction

Moving up to the Superman Plaza, the support footers have been completed and are ready for support columns to be attached. These are the two on the righthand side of the plaza:

Full Throttle Construction

These are the two on the lefthand side of the plaza:

Full Throttle Construction

It’s amazing to think that with how big and deep those footer holes were, all that is visible now is twelve relatively minuscule bolts sticking up out of the ground:

Full Throttle Construction

The new footers did extend into the Superman logo, but not nearly as much as I thought:

Full Throttle Construction

Once they apply new paint, the new logo will be as good as new and you really won’t even be able to tell that it was even cut into. A very small bit of the logo was also removed on the far right, which you can see in the video, but I’m sure new paint will help that blend in as well:

Full Throttle Construction

This is one of the two footers that were installed on the opposite side of the path on the backside of the hill. Again, a massive footer with just six small bolts exposed. You’ll notice a small square hole inside the ring of bolts. I don’t know what this is called in roller coaster terminology, but it’s like tongue and groove in carpentry terminology. A square “tongue” of welded-on steel extends out the bottom of the support column. That tongue fits in the “groove’ hole and it’s what holds the support column in place. The bolts are merely there to keep the column snug to the footer and from lifting up. If just bolts were used to secure the column, I believe the lateral forces could eventually shear the bolts off:

Full Throttle Construction

This is the second footer on the opposite side of the path, right on the corner. It really didn’t affect the path at all. There’s still lots of room to make your way around the corner:

Full Throttle Construction

This next shot is one of the footers being installed on the backside of the hill, next to the tunnel, and it answers a question I had last week. In my Full Throttle Construction Update #5, I asked if anyone knew what the cylinders were that were covered by plastic. As it turns out, I was right. They were concrete forms. You can see part of one used here, and what looked like a brick pattern on the side was just the company’s logo and branding:

Full Throttle Construction

This is the same footer as seen from above. That looks like quite an elaborate jig used to position everything in just the right place before committing to the concrete pour:

Full Throttle Construction

Here’s another, much larger footer well next to it ready for concrete as well:

Full Throttle Construction

Even though the two footers on the opposite side of the path are complete, it looks like they are still working on the hillside next to the tunnel. There were two full-size rebar cages still sitting in the Superman Plaza, not far from where I took this picture, and I suspect they will be dropped into a couple of waiting holes around here somewhere:

Full Throttle Construction

Looking down the front side of the hill, there are lots of new footers leading out from the tunnel. These are in a straight line, and then start to curve to the left. This curve occurs right before the track goes up and over the top the vertical loop, aka the Top Hat feature:

Full Throttle Construction

There are new footers right next to the Gold Rusher track. There are even a couple between this existing track and the plaza I’m standing on, but I couldn’t get a picture of those. This will be where the Full Throttle track banks hard to the right after exiting the vertical loop, and then jumps up and over the Superman Plaza to the backside of the hill:

Full Throttle Construction

From the Sky Tower, you can see that the Full Throttle construction is really starting to fill up quite a bit of the former Log Jammer space:

Full Throttle Construction

There are so many footers that I really can’t detect any pattern as to what is going where and what the ultimate layout of the track and station will be yet:

Full Throttle Construction

From the ground, the view doesn’t get any less confusing:

Full Throttle Construction

Off in the distance, you can see more pieces from Premier Rides starting to arrive:

Full Throttle Construction

Premier Rides posted a picture the other day of a truck leaving their factory with Full Throttle support columns. As you can see, they are starting to arrive:

Full Throttle Construction

Here is a short video I made showing the current status of the project:

That’s it for this Full Throttle construction update. Please sign-up for my email list in the top-right corner of this page. I’m going to start something new in the near future where I first email my updates to those on the email list before posting them publicly. Please sign-up now so you don’t miss out when I start doing that. It doesn’t cost you anything. All I’m asking you for is an email address to send updates to and you can unsubscribe at anytime.

1. Jasper

01/20/2013 at 9:34 pm

It’s awesome seeing the FT supports start to come in!!

01/20/2013 at 9:50 pm

First, it appears to me that Full Throttle’s launch track will be at about a 45° angle heading away from the part of the building now standing; in other words, in a straight line from the top of that picture toward the bottom. The footers appear to be heading that way. That is roughly parallel to the approach track on Revolution, with Full Throttle’s trains going the opposite direction. If it follows that path, it will match up to what is shown in the video that was released back when Full Throttle was announced. Thus, the return track going over the loop will come down and make a left turn to return trains to the station. This is indeed going to be a fairly short ride unless they make a last minute change (like I mentioned on Facebook with it going into Whistlestop Park…LOL!). I’m glad the weather is cooperating. That will greatly speed up construction.

Second, I just signed up for your newsletter. I look forward to reading it.

3. Jodi

01/20/2013 at 9:51 pm

They were pouring some SERIOUS concrete on Saturday!!!! I get to see the trucks going back & forth under Scream! I am pretty blessed to work at Scream right now because I get to see FT track!! (drools a little) 🙂

4. Kevin

01/21/2013 at 5:57 am

Maybe I’m alone, but with how construction is going on this new coaster, it seems like this is a makeshift coaster where aesthetics have been thrown out the window. With what they’ve torn up, with how hideous those footers look and how they were placed, the angles, lack of any type of theming, this coaster really just feels like it doesn’t belong in the park. Not to mention the lack of length or originality. Now tearing up an area of the park which actually felt themed, I’m not a big fan of this installment.

Despite this, Coaster Guy, thank you for the updates and the photos. Been following you for a while, and am happy that you keep it up. Great photos and especially the information you provide. Just wish the park put more thought into the long term future instead of just plopping rides they could market. They’ve really become the epitome of short term investments.

01/21/2013 at 6:05 am

Thank you, Kevin. Considering that the ride is still under construction, and that they’re retheming the entire area, I’m not ready to critique them quite yet. I want to see what they actually do with the space first. Nobody really knows what to expect at this point.

• JJJ

01/21/2013 at 11:05 am

They havent started any rethemeing right? Doesnt say much about their plans if theyre going to do it in a month or so….or after the coaster is done.

01/21/2013 at 11:15 am

Who said they’re going to do it in a month? All we know is to expect a Spring/Summer 2013 opening. That could be another six months. Personally, I’m betting it’ll be open by Memorial Day, which is around four months away.

• JJJ

01/21/2013 at 9:47 pm

Well assuming they start Feb 1st, that gives them 3 months. We can most certainly rule out major theme changes, stuff like the giant sequoia, or a bamboo forest or whetever within that timeline. I also dont expect 3 themed flat rides to open in that period.

5. Casey

01/21/2013 at 2:12 pm

This is so exciting!!!! I do agree with Kevin on the whole theme of the ride,and for some reason when I think of Full Throttle, I think of cars,which gets me wondering,will there be a drag race themed area?It sounds very practical,but also possible.They haven’t released any info. on the retheming of that area yet,right? Well,there aren’t any other rides in that vicinity of the park,so it seems like a possibility to me. Thanks for the wonderful update,Kurt! Keep up the good work!

Casey

6. Tim

01/21/2013 at 6:48 pm

Great Update Coaster Guy. I have been following your updates for awhile, and I look forward to this ride. I used to live in SCV, and always went to SFMM every other weekend, and I would do my own updates, but I am glad to have found your website and your wonderful indepth updates, it should be exciting once the track goes in. I haven’t been to the park in quite sometime, and I still need to ride Green Lantern, Lex Luthor Drop of Doom, and see the rethemed DC Universe area.

Coaster Guy, you should drive down that road behind the park where the SFMM employment offices are, and photograph the Full Throttle Track and Columns up close. I have been on that road many times, even drove one end to the other, and this is where the SFMM employees go to enter the parking lot for employees only. You may even show up on time for a truck unloading newly arrived track and do some video. I look forward to your future updates, and I will sign up for the FT updates by sending you my email address. Bye. -Tim H.

01/21/2013 at 10:16 pm

Just enter your email address in the sign-up form at the top of this page, or any page on this site, and you’ll be good to go.

01/21/2013 at 9:58 pm

Just for fun, I whipped up a diagram that may be close to Full Throttle’s layout. I went to Google Maps satellite view and simply drew a track plan based on what I’ve seen on the video. Click here to see my handiwork.

Based on the figure that I got while drawing this, it appears that Full Throttle may top out at about 2500 feet at best. But we’ll see. 😉

01/21/2013 at 10:18 pm

It looks good, Eric. The only correction I see that needs to be made is right after the loop. The track will do a hard bank around the end of the Gold Rusher track, and not go over it.

01/21/2013 at 10:52 pm

That makes sense. I was thinking about that footer near Gold Rusher’s track as it rounds that turn, but what I didn’t consider is how that particular footer may be for an angled piece that supports a vertical one. When I get a chance, I’ll try and make a better one.

8. Mike

01/21/2013 at 10:33 pm

2500 ft………. That would really be ummmmm kinda disappointing! I guess if this coaster can really deliver high excitement all in that short run then all is well. Lol! The most exciting short coaster I’ve ever riden anywhere aside from accelerator coasters from intamin are the Batman clones and they are really fun, so here’s hoping Full Throttle wows us! I’m trying to contain my dwindling excitement. I know length doesn’t make a ride the greatest because I’ve been on a few long boring coasters and Colossus immediately comes to mind, but this is looking and sounding just not as exciting as I really wish it should be.

Anyway, I’m really digging these updates and I’m a fan of this site as I make it a point to check every Sunday night!

9. Johnny

01/22/2013 at 8:17 am

2500ft is about the same length as my personal favorite launch coaster Stormrunner. There is nothing wrong with short and intense.

10. Thomas

01/22/2013 at 3:27 pm

I betting they don’t fix the Superman logo.

01/22/2013 at 3:31 pm

Absolutely they will. That will be one of the signature video shots for the media, as the train flies up and over the plaza. Especially as seen from the Sky Tower.

11. Bob winek

01/22/2013 at 7:55 pm

Went to the park yesterday there were a good 4 diggers digging deep in the ground 3 by the formere statation and 1 at the top of the hill

Also talked to an employee they said the new busses will either be deployed next weekened or the following

01/22/2013 at 8:39 pm

I heard they were going to start training on the buses in the next week or two. I don’t think we’ll see them enter into service until March. Lots of practice and certifications needed first.

01/23/2013 at 4:53 pm

If the buses go online in March, that’ll be just right for the start of daily operation. I’m still interested in how they’re going to handle this. With doors on one side, and fewer of them than the trams had, they’re going to have to do something different.

12. Bob winek

01/22/2013 at 8:51 pm

Cool I just talked to the guy running the crosswalk

01/23/2013 at 6:11 am

What time were you there?

13. Sean

01/22/2013 at 10:02 pm

I was at the park sunday, I try to visit the park as much as possible, as I live in the SCV. And I asked some staff members, but they do not seem to be able to explain….
    Does anyone know what the many footers over at the old log jammer station are for? Looking at the announcement video the track doesn’t even seem to get close to the old log jammer station, can someone please clarify, if they know?

Btw. I subscribed to your emails, I’m thrilled to read about everything thats happening around MM that I can not see!! Thanks for the opportunity!

01/22/2013 at 10:22 pm

Hi Sean, There are a lot of footers in that area because that is where the station will be. There is the loading/unloading area, the launch section, the stacking section, and there’s gotta be a transfer track with a maintenance area as well. I now suspect that what’s left of the Log Jammer station will be a two-story queue with the new station being built right next to it. Just my guess.

• Sean

01/22/2013 at 10:54 pm

Hi Kurt,

Thank you so much, that’s excactly what I thought, I just thought that it didn’t match the video at all, haha. I also discussed the two-floor line with my brother sunday, and I’m so glad I’m in the right track. I can not wait to see this coaster get there! One last question; since the park announced that there will be an all new themed area with “fast-pased imagery, sound effects, and high-thrill rides” in their “orient express’ does anyone know if there will be any flats coming to MM? Since they really need some…

• Sean

01/22/2013 at 10:59 pm

Sorry, I meant coasterguy…. I’m not sure why I said kurt really… I’m sorry

01/23/2013 at 6:10 am

No apology necessary. My name is Kurt. 🙂

01/23/2013 at 6:09 am

That’s a big question right now – whether or not there will be more than just FT in the new area. They mention “rides” but FT is the only one announced so far.

14. Bob winek

01/23/2013 at 6:51 am

I was there the entire day

01/23/2013 at 6:53 am

No, what time did you talk to the crosswalk guy?

15. Casey

01/23/2013 at 1:40 pm

Anyone know how long the tunnel is? Im guessing it has to be considerably long for there to be a launch for it…

01/23/2013 at 4:56 pm

The tunnel itself isn’t very long, but the launch track can start in the tunnel and continue beyond it.

• Casey

01/25/2013 at 3:14 pm

True…But the in the animation it was all inside for the backwards launch…

01/26/2013 at 12:39 am

I just took a look at Google Maps and did a measurement on the tunnel. It appears to be around 100 feet long, and if memory serves from having been through it on the Metro so many times, that figure sounds about right.

• Casey

01/26/2013 at 12:02 pm

Thanks Eric!

16. Casey

01/23/2013 at 1:41 pm

*I meant for there to be a launch IN it.

17. Bob winek

01/23/2013 at 7:29 pm

I talked to the guy at about 5 pm

18. Bob winek

01/23/2013 at 7:50 pm

Just wondering are there any early ride times coming

01/27/2013 at 9:28 pm

I have not heard of any. I’m not sure they do much of this during the off-season, especially with an active construction project in the middle of the park.

19. vince

02/01/2013 at 8:21 am

Any new updates?

02/01/2013 at 8:53 am

There were a couple of new pictures in last weekend’s trip report. The park is closed during the week so you can expect updates towards the end of each weekend.

20. Pingback: Full Throttle Construction Article Roundup - The Coaster Guy

21. Jordan

02/03/2013 at 12:16 pm

Quick question. just something I’ve noticed in the 3D pictures and rendering of the ride, it seems as though the only restraints on it are going to be lap bars. I can’t find any place that mentions this or talks about it any way. Any word on if this is true?

02/03/2013 at 12:29 pm

No official word from Six Flags, but the assumption (and hope) is that they will be lap bars only, like are used on other similar coasters.