Is Coaster Candy Company Getting A Makeover?

By on 01/27/2013

Six Flags Magic Mountain Coaster Candy Company

As I was walking past the Coaster Candy Company at Six Flags Magic Mountain last weekend, I couldn’t help but notice they were getting a new roof. A few days later we got some very heavy rains here in Los Angeles. I was hoping they were able to get the new roof on before the rains hit. When I went back this weekend, I noticed they were getting more than a new roof.

Here is what I saw last weekend as I approached the Coaster Candy Company:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Coaster Candy Company

The roofing material had been stripped down to the plywood, all the way around the building:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Coaster Candy Company

From the Sky Tower, it was apparent that this roof was getting more than just new shingles. Most of the roof had been removed, all the way down to the insulation:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Coaster Candy Company

When I approached the Coaster Candy Company this week, I noticed they had applied a layer of tar paper, but the roofing material had yet to be applied. I also noticed that the entire building had gotten a new paint job:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Trip Report 20130126

The stucco had yet to be painted. It’s amazing to see just how much affect the hot Southern California sun has on paint. Hmmm…I wonder what was here:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Trip Report 20130126

From above, you can see that they obviously didn’t get the new roof on before the rains hit. I’m sure all that white plastic had been draped over the roof to keep it dry. Even though it was a Saturday, there was a crew hard at work trying to get the new roof on:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Trip Report 20130126

I’m familiar with the plywood and tar paper base, but I’m not sure what the large rectangular panels are that they’re using for the top. It’s an interesting choice for a flat roof:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Trip Report 20130126

Most of the windows had been blacked out and this sign was on each door:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Trip Report 20130126

The windows into the kitchen were still open and it looked like it was still business as usual as someone inside was tending to boxes of product. I had a conversation with one of the employees in a neighboring shop and he said that the kitchen was still being used to make the carmel apples and fudge. He also said they hoped to have the Coaster Candy Company back open for business by next weekend.

Here is a picture from when the Coaster Candy Company was simply known as Candy Kitchen. These two doors used to be where the large picture window is today, with the Coaster Candy Company logo, as seen in the photo above:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Coaster Candy Company

Image © Robin Hall

Another old photo of employees making a batch of yummy goodness:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Coaster Candy Company

Image © Six Flags

1. Brendan

01/27/2013 at 3:36 pm

This is my favorite kind of work to see! It’s amazing how a fresh coat of paint and some general touch ups can make things sparkle!

2. zac

01/27/2013 at 3:40 pm

that spot on the wall on the stucco was a window that you would see on a submarine or ocean vessel, little details that were placed when was cyclone bay became the theme.

• zac

01/27/2013 at 3:41 pm

oh my bad, it was a ship steering wheel

• zac

01/27/2013 at 3:41 pm

and now I realize you most likely being sarcastic -.-

01/27/2013 at 8:57 pm

Yes, I was being sarcastic. 😉

3. Casey

01/27/2013 at 4:09 pm

Why havent they rethemed cyclone bay yet?!!!

01/27/2013 at 8:16 pm

Most likely because the theme works (for now). I have a feeling that if they get another major ride in this area, which would replace Déjà Vu, then they might take a look at it.

01/27/2013 at 9:00 pm

I disagree that the theme works. The two major attractions in the area are Apocalypse and Slingshot, neither of which have anything to do with a nautical theme. I think the park is still trying to decide what to do with this area long-term. Once they do, likely when the next major attraction gets added, we’ll probably see a new theme.

01/27/2013 at 8:10 pm

These buildings date back to 1977 when the area opened as Spillikin Corners. Now that they’re 35 years old, it doesn’t surprise me that they need a new roof. Glad to see them getting a little love from corporate.

Funny thing…I walked right past here today and didn’t notice anything different.

01/27/2013 at 9:02 pm

I think most people walk right by and not notice anything as well. However, being the professional that I am, I’m trained to spot everything new or different! 😉

5. sixflagsisfun

01/27/2013 at 9:14 pm

a friend of mine that works there told me that cyclone waters and surfside shooter are moving to the front of the park once the newly themed area opens up. but ladder climb and highstriker are staying in the bay.

01/27/2013 at 9:46 pm

This makes sense. I bet they’re going where the Wild Things and Glass Crafts shops were, which is why they didn’t get torn down with everything else in the area. Just to confirm, what is Cyclone Waters? I’m assuming it’s the Top Glo water balloon game in the middle of the midway, right? If this is true, then there will be even more vacant space in Cyclone Bay. I suspect something big is coming to that area in the next couple of years.

6. JJJ

01/28/2013 at 7:16 pm

This blog has taught me that six flags does a terrible job making people notice these little buildings.

Ive been to the park a bunch of times….and yet I cant ever recall having seen this before. Ditto with the arcade and a few other buildings youve highlighted.

01/28/2013 at 7:44 pm

The sad part is that it’s not that little of a building. It’s actually pretty spacious inside for a store. You’re also not alone. Unfortunately, I sometimes think that Six Flags counts on people visually tuning some of these buildings out. That’s the only explanation I can think of for them leaving so many unused buildings sitting around for years, eventually succumbing to the elements.

• JJJ

01/29/2013 at 11:02 am

If they want more people inside (spending money) these things need better architecture. A new coat of paint doesnt change that it looks like an employee shack.

7. James

02/01/2013 at 7:14 pm

Awesome update, I love stuff like this! Even when you don’t do full updates you find interesting things around the park to catch up on, and I think it’s great. And thank you for posting those old nostalgic photos of the Candy Company, again, I love that kind of stuff!

So being the MM dweeb I am, I tried to figure out where the heck those older photos were taken of the candy shop, and if it was, in fact, the SAME store we see today. It took some searching, but thanks to Google Maps, I think I found the spot (check out photo link below)! And things have changed quite a bit, not only at the park, but to the building. It looks like they added windows, removed doors, and replaced the circular stained glass art for a service window.

Maybe someone has better information on how they retrofitted the building over the years, because I find it interesting that they would have done such extensive work to modernize the building sometime between when it was originally built, and now. For example, how they took out that circular stained glass art window for a service window. Because it’s almost unrecognizable from the original photo, but I believe they are the same.

02/01/2013 at 8:02 pm

Thanks, James. You shouldn’t have had to figure out where that picture was taken…I mentioned it in my article. Those two doors used to open up into the kitchen area. They were eventually removed and replaced with that big picture window. The building was built in 1977 as part of the new crafters area called Spillikin Corners, which makes it 36 years old. The changes really aren’t that extensive and are expected over that period of time. I suspect they sealed off that end of the building at the same time they added the kitchen viewing area inside. I don’t know for sure, but I bet it was around 1990, when Spillikin Corners started to go away and be replaced by Cyclone Bay.

• James

02/02/2013 at 4:08 am

Duh on me! I even remember reading that in the update, but for some reason it didn’t register, so I checked Google maps just for fun to compare side by side. Thanks for all the in depth information, I really appreciate being able to see how things have changed over the years, and you really have a handle on it. Very nice little update.

8. James

02/01/2013 at 7:15 pm

[IMG]http://i1216.photobucket.com/albums/dd376/internetjunk/CandyCompany-Compare_zpsbda7a3d6.jpg[/IMG]

9. MC

02/02/2013 at 7:51 pm

I know there use to be a shooting arcade back in that area somewhere.

I really need to dig through my garage as i have tons of (junk) collectables but I think the earliest I went to SFMM was about when that big white wooden rollercoaster opened in 1978