Six Flags Magic Mountain Trip Report For 03 Feb 2013

By on 02/03/2013

Since today was Superbowl Sunday, I was hoping it was going to be nice and slow at Six Flags Magic Mountain, and I was right. Unfortunately for them, the crowds were light, but that was good for me. I was able to do a quick loop of the park to provide you with this update.

Work is continuing on the Full Throttle roller coaster construction. They are still drilling holes and pouring concrete for new footers. That’s about all that has changed since last week, at least in this first aerial view – lots more footers have been added to the front area:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Trip Report 03 Feb 2013

The previous picture was taken not long after the park had opened for the day, but you can see that the first parking lot wasn’t even full yet and traffic was only trickling in.

Zooming in a little closer, you can now make out a very straight line of footers, just to the right of the drilling machine. I want to say this is going to be the approximate angle of the vertical loop, but then I start thinking about the end of the ride and this doesn’t make any sense. If the last launch is up and over the loop, with a hard left turn after that into the station, then where is the station going to be? The drilling machine is still drilling holes:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Trip Report 03 Feb 2013

So here’s a thought – I’m now thinking that the Log Jammer station isn’t going to be used for anything. Six Flags Magic Mountain was issued a permit back in January 2012 for demolition of the “Log Jammer ride building.” I bet they’ve only taken out half of it so far because it was in the way and they left the other half to act as a barrier during construction. They wouldn’t get a demo permit if they were going to repurpose the building. They’re going to put in a brand new station and once everything is done, they will remove the second half of the old station, massively opening up the space in front of Mooseburger Lodge and exposing the new themed area and Full Throttle entrance. Doesn’t that sound logical?

Here’s a closer view of several footers seen in the previous photo that have been finished. The footers with just straight rebar sticking up have yet to be finished:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Trip Report 03 Feb 2013

From the Superman plaza, you can see lots of massive footers finished up on the hill. It’s interesting to me to see all the different shapes, sizes, and angles they are all at:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Trip Report 03 Feb 2013

A closer shot shows you just how huge some of these footers are to handle the heavy loads:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Trip Report 03 Feb 2013

This next picture shows the same footers as seen from the ground. The wood panels in the middle will be assembled as boxes around the rebar spikes you see sticking up from the ground and act as concrete forms. Once the concrete hardens and they remove the wood panels, the footers will look just like the ones you see at the top of the picture:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Trip Report 03 Feb 2013

The drilling machine (is there a formal name for this?) that we saw in the aerial pictures above is still actively working its way around the area, drilling more holes for footers:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Trip Report 03 Feb 2013

It looks like all of the footers around the edge of the Gold Rusher track are finished and ready for Full Throttle support columns to be bolted to them:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Trip Report 03 Feb 2013

It also looks like all of the footers on the back hill are completed and ready to go:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Trip Report 03 Feb 2013

From the ground, you can see several of the footers have been finished off as well:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Trip Report 03 Feb 2013

I’m not an engineer by any stretch of the imagination, but after watching this construction take place, this is how I think this process works. The footer wells are dug deep, with varying depths depending on the projected load and soil conditions, and the long rebar cages are dropped into the holes. They are then filled with concrete, leaving several long pieces of rebar protruding from the top. They then build a mini rebar cage to the required height, like seen in the next photo, and wire it up to the protruding rebar. A square wood base is built around the bottom and a round concrete form is cut to length and slipped over the top of the cage. Once filled with concrete, the top is smoothed over and the bolts are inserted into the wet concrete, presumably with a jig for precise alignment and l-shaped bends at the bottom of each bolt to prevent them from popping out of the concrete:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Trip Report 03 Feb 2013

If I’m wrong about the above process, please let me know. I love learning new things.

It looks like there may be some new track and column pieces that have showed up onsite. It’s hard to tell because they’re so far away and I haven’t had a formal reason to drive down Feedmill Road for awhile. Looks like it may be time to drive a friend to work again:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Trip Report 03 Feb 2013

In other news, the new roof on the Coaster Candy Company looks good. They still have some trim work to finish and trash to remove, but it looks pretty much done:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Trip Report 03 Feb 2013

They still weren’t open today, but it looks way better than it did, and hopefully it doesn’t leak. The new paint job on the rest of the building and stucco also looks really good. Now they just need to get some new signs to let people know what goodies are waiting inside:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Trip Report 03 Feb 2013

I’ll cover this in-depth in another post in a few days, but I got my Six Flags Season Dining Pass today and broke it in. I got a tri-tip sandwich and kettle chips at JB’s Smokehouse BBQ:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Trip Report 03 Feb 2013

Looks like they are trying some new marketing techniques to promote their three up-charge attractions. Buy tickets for you and a friend on all three and save $20:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Trip Report 03 Feb 2013

The Ben & Jerry’s location is starting to be de-branded. It was announced a couple of weeks ago at the A.C.E. No Coaster Con event that the Ben & Jerry’s locations will be converted to an in-house ice cream brand called 6 Below. They will still have hard serve ice cream:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Trip Report 03 Feb 2013

I can’t believe I’ve never noticed this before, but they pump the water into Jet Stream through a pipe that was inserted into the second drop chute that hasn’t been used since the mid-70’s:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Trip Report 03 Feb 2013

I really hope we don’t see the Rice Jewelry stand show back up in the new themed area:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Trip Report 03 Feb 2013

I have absolutely no idea what this is, but I saw it setup behind Apocalypse:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Trip Report 03 Feb 2013

As usual, don’t forget to add your email address to my email list in the top-right corner of this page. I’m going to start using that to email content in the next couple of weeks. I’ve also added some new buttons below to make it easy for you to share these articles with your friends on Facebook and Twitter, so please do so and help me grow the number of readers for this site.

02/04/2013 at 1:12 am

My sister and I got to the park today just after 1pm. Both of us have the upgraded Gold pass and needed to pick up our coupon booklets. Had I thought that you would have been there, I’d have called you. Not too crowded overall; some rides were near walk-ons, others were longer. We stayed till straight up 6pm and headed out. We’ll be back there soon. Thanks for the update and photos of the latest developments.

2. Michael

02/04/2013 at 6:43 am

I’m guessing that the straight line of footers might be the final break run if the new footers line up close to them making room for the loop. The bundle of footers to the right might be an area for transfer track.

Thank you for the update!

02/04/2013 at 7:15 am

That’s what I’m thinking, a transfer track just to the right after the final brake run. Seems to be the most likely place. I initially thought that the remaining part of the Log Jammer station would be the maintenance area, but the new footers don’t seem to indicate that.

02/04/2013 at 9:31 pm

The old Log Jammer building does serve nicely as a barrier which hides much of the activity in the construction area. I suppose there’s still a chance that it could be used for part of Full Throttle’s queue.

• Ryan O

02/05/2013 at 7:37 pm

The transfer track is the only thing that makes sense. 3 rows of 4 footers, all in a perfect grid.

3. Michael

02/04/2013 at 7:28 am

You can also line up the footers going up the hill to the possible place for the loop.

4. Brendan

02/04/2013 at 9:43 am

When I went on Saturday, I got to ride Goldrusher and look at the footers near the second lift. They were also pouring cement near the top of the hill near Goldrusher/the tunnel. Was Goldrusher open on Sunday also?

02/04/2013 at 11:48 am

My sister and I were at the park yesterday (Sunday) and we rode Gold Rusher, so, yes, it was open. While riding it, I took a look at the footers and construction as best I could during the short time on that side of the park.

5. zac

02/04/2013 at 2:05 pm

😮 i wonder how much longer the coldstones will be in the park?

02/11/2013 at 10:13 pm

If Six Flags is successful with their own branded ice cream shops coming this year, then I suspect that we’ll start seeing the Cold Stones go away as their leases expire.

6. Andrew

02/04/2013 at 6:04 pm

How did you get to the Superman plaza if Superman was closed yesterday? Also, do you know why superman was closed?

• SFMMCrazy Productions

02/04/2013 at 6:22 pm

I’m wondering the same thing as I was there at Magic Mountain yesterday and the plaza was blocked. Superman was closed yesterday becuase it rain the during the night and it was suppose to open yesterday afternoon though..

• Andrew

02/04/2013 at 7:10 pm

It wasn’t open when I left at 3:30.

02/04/2013 at 6:59 pm

I got there early. Superman was closed, but they didn’t have it blocked off yet. I was able to walk around the plaza and get some pics.

7. dylan

02/04/2013 at 7:40 pm

all those footers are not for a transfer track. if you look at the supports holding up the loop in the video it matched that perfectly

02/04/2013 at 9:24 pm

That does make sense. The supports for this loop are going to be a lot more complex than for a normal loop. Also, there’s the track going over the top of it.

• Michael

02/05/2013 at 5:15 am

If that will be the supports for the loop, then where will be the transfer track?

• Ryan O

02/05/2013 at 7:26 pm

Then why are those footers so close together? According to the video and this picture, the footers for the loop structure would be much farther apart.

8. JJJ

02/04/2013 at 7:40 pm

Mind if I use a couple of pictures for a post of mine? Credit to The Coaster Guy?

02/04/2013 at 7:44 pm

Go for it. 🙂

9. JJJ

02/04/2013 at 10:13 pm

BTW did you get the newest email survey today?

02/04/2013 at 10:21 pm

I got it early yesterday morning.

10. Jaryd

02/05/2013 at 3:28 pm

Do you know when six flags is going to have there triple-A discount event.

02/05/2013 at 5:22 pm

I have no idea. I don’t belong to AAA and I’ve never been to this event. I’ve heard that it’s one of the park’s busiest events and lines get crazy long. Not something that I’d be up for.

02/05/2013 at 10:45 pm

I’ve heard that event can be pretty crazy. Therefore, I think I’ll pass. Besides, I go to the park enough anyway.

11. sam

02/05/2013 at 3:51 pm

That thing in the last pic must be one of those character meet n’ greet stages that sprung up in the parks a few years ago. From this, I think that they might be planning on removing them chain wide. Have you seen any in the park lately?

02/05/2013 at 5:25 pm

I think the yellow piece could be one of those shades from the meet ‘n greets, but I doubt that it’s indicative that that they’re removing them. I still see them in the park. I think someone was just being resourceful in providing some shade from the sun while they were working. The real question is, what are they working on underneath there?

12. Sean

02/05/2013 at 8:45 pm

I went there last year during Superbowl, and it was extremely crowded. Superman was running both sides at one point, and there was still a 90 minutes line. But since it seemed to be fairly deserted this time, I think I’ll be there next year! A question to the Coasterguy, or anyone else who knows; When do you think they will start putting up some supports and track, since a lot of footers have already been placed?

And thank you Coasterguy, for all your awesome updates!

13. enoc

02/05/2013 at 10:18 pm

maybe they will use the queue line of log jammer for full throttle

• Casey

02/07/2013 at 5:20 pm

It’s already been confirmed that they won’t be using the old log jammer station and they will be building a new one enoc.

02/07/2013 at 8:48 pm

Confirmed where and by whom?

14. Bob winek

02/07/2013 at 6:59 pm

Has there been an official releas date yet for full throttle

02/07/2013 at 8:48 pm