UA-20143982-1 Six Flags Signs Airbourne For Full Throttle Music - The Coaster Guy

Six Flags Signs Airbourne To Record Full Throttle Music

By on 02/07/2013

Six Flags Magic Mountain Full Throttle Logo

Six Flags Entertainment Corp. today announced a partnership with Roadrunner Records which will provide Six Flags with access to music from various artists in the Roadrunner catalog. The highlight of today’s announcement is that the Australian rock band Airbourne, which is under the Roadrunner Records label, will record an original song to be used for the Full Throttle roller coaster currently under construction at Six Flags Magic Mountain.

Six Flags Magic Mountain Airbourne Full ThrottleImage © Roadrunner Records

Airbourne has an upcoming album called Black Dog Barking that is due to be released on May 21st. The first single from that album is called “Live it Up.” After being released for radio play in late spring, there will be a special Full Throttle edition of the song that will be debuted with the opening of the Full Throttle roller coaster. The song will also be featured throughout the newly themed five-acre section of the park where the new coaster is being built.

I can’t tell from the press release if the Airbourne song will actually be on-ride audio, played during the ride through speakers on the train, or if it will simply be played in and around the coaster’s station. Both the press release and the statement on Roadrunner’s web site say that the song “will be released for the opening of Full Throttle,” so it’s hard to tell. Six Flags Magic Mountain has not had good luck with on-ride audio in the past due to the rough ride of a coaster combined with the sensitive audio equipment. The sound system on the wooden coaster Apocalypse was very short lived and eventually completely removed. The audio system on X2 still exists, but it’s operational status is very intermittent.

In addition to the Airbourne song, music from other Roadrunner Records artists will also be featured in the newly themed section of the park. Six Flags will further support the launch nationally in all of their theme parks, online, and also through social media channels, live events, and press outreach. Six Flags and Roadrunner will also be working together on programming to be featured on Six Flags digital networks, which will include Roadrunner videos being played through the queue line television monitors.

I was not aware of Airbourne, or even Roadrunner Records, prior to today’s announcement. However, after listening to some of Airbourne’s existing music through iTunes, they remind me a lot of the heavy metal rock bands that I grew up with in the 1970’s and 80’s. According to their web site, they are “high-energy, whiplash-inducing, workingman’s rock ‘n’ roll.” Six Flags says that “guests will experience high-energy action through fast-paced imagery, sound and lights” in the new section of the park, so it sounds like it may be a good match.

It doesn’t sound like this new theme will be completely family-friendly, with loud rock music and pulsating lights throughout, but it may actually blend in well with Six Flags Magic Mountain’s younger thrill-seeking demographic. However, I’m not ready to judge it yet. Until we actually get to see the finished product, I’m going to keep my hopes and my excitement levels very high. I am very much looking forward to this roller coaster.

EDIT (8 MAR 2013) – I have confirmed with Six Flags Magic Mountain that the Full Throttle roller coaster trains will not feature on-board audio. All music will be confined to the newly themed area and the ride’s queue line.

1. bejammin

02/07/2013 at 8:43 pm

“they remind me a lot of the heavy metal rock bands that I grew up with in the 1970′s and 80′s.”

I didn’t even think your born in the 70’s or 80’s

02/07/2013 at 8:47 pm

I wasn’t. I was born in the 60’s. (Ouch…that was painful to admit!)

02/07/2013 at 11:55 pm

Don’t feel bad. I was born in the *gulp* ’50s.

2. Sean

02/07/2013 at 8:57 pm

That is so cool! I really hope there will be music onboard aswell, that’d be making the ride even better.
    Thanks for the updates!

3. Josh

02/07/2013 at 9:03 pm

This doesn’t make me cringe as much as the announcement has made other people cringe. I’m hoping it will actually turn out to be a good promotion and fit the theme of the area.

The last time Magic Mountain had a song made particularly for theming was the Riddler’s Revenge theme song, which compliments the ride so well. People still love it today (although it does have its haters), and even have downloaded it to their iPods.

02/11/2013 at 9:50 pm

I did not know that SFMM had that song made for Riddler’s. I heard they had just licensed it for use in the station. You sure about that?

• Ryan O

02/13/2013 at 8:56 pm

The original song was “Ecuador” by Sash!, but this particular remix seems to be made specially for Riddler’s. The only way I’ve ever been able to find it on the internet is to search “Riddler’s Revenge station song”. Even so, the version I’ve heard on the internet is slightly different from the song in the station – it’s missing some bubble sound effects and there are other slight differences. Still, I’ve got no hard evidence.

4. Neil

02/07/2013 at 10:24 pm

I think it will be great. Roadrunner Records has really good bands… and Nickelback. Please, Six Flags, no Nickelback. Their well-known bands are DragonForce, Killswitch Engage, Korn, Lynard Skynard (also, please no Free Bird), Slipknot, and Young the Giant. Sounds like it will be great for the theme.

02/11/2013 at 9:51 pm

Hard to say for sure without really knowing what the theme is going to be like.

5. JJJ

02/07/2013 at 11:07 pm

Will it be like riddlers?

One 3 minute song on an endless loop….for a decade?

The ride operators would have standing to sue for torture….

….Also, how is it that Disney is able to keep Rock and Roll roller coaster music working but six flags cant?

• JJJ

02/07/2013 at 11:16 pm

Also, just checked the band out on youtube and it turns out Ive seen them live, I believe at the rockstar mayhem tour a few years back.

02/11/2013 at 9:59 pm

I’ve often wondered the same thing. With flash memory and solid-state electronics, with absolutely no moving parts, what is it exactly that can’t stand the shock of the coasters? And why does the audio module take up the space of an entire car on a coaster train? Other than a sensor on the track/train that tells it when to start playing, it seems to me that a $50 iPod shuffle would be overkill for what they actually need. Is it mostly batteries and amplifiers?

• Casey

02/12/2013 at 5:05 pm

It doesn’t for X2,does it?

02/08/2013 at 12:04 am

This is looking less and less like something I’d want to spend much time doing at the park. So far, besides the Full Throttle ride, I can’t foresee much in that area that I’d be interested in. Of course, to be fair, I’ll wait till it opens before I decide. I hope I’m wrong.

On a side note, I see that you’ve replaced “Déjà Vu” with “Full Throttle” in your site’s banner.

• joseph

02/09/2013 at 7:11 pm

when is kurt going to put LL:DOD on his banner?

02/09/2013 at 7:21 pm

The day that Lex Luthor morphs into a roller coaster. ;-)

7. Alex

02/08/2013 at 1:51 am

Okay, okay, first YOLO… Now this!!? Freakin’ hilarious if you ask me. Lol

02/11/2013 at 10:05 pm

You do realize that YOLO is a term that Premier Rides uses, and not SFMM, right? Premier is the one who produced the video. You’ll also see them use it in shirts for events they sponsor and it was also on bracelets they handed out during IAAPA. SFMM should not be getting the flak they have been for that.

8. Casey

02/08/2013 at 2:37 pm

I just got double excited!!!!!!!!!!

9. dylan

02/10/2013 at 11:08 am

i really hope they have onride music it would make it 20 times better

02/11/2013 at 10:06 pm

It would make it 20x better than what?

• Ryan O

02/13/2013 at 8:59 pm

20x better than one of those old-fashioned, boring, silent roller coasters ;)

10. Casey

02/10/2013 at 4:53 pm

They did say there would be “sensory overload”…

11. Jess

08/26/2013 at 12:11 pm

PLEASE someone find this song for me… When I was lining up to go on the full throttle ride saturday.. In the line, under the tent, they had a bad ass song playing.. It’s not this Airbourne band that I found on the website.. it was an instrumental I think from memory (not rock), and it played very well with the extreme sports clips they had up on the big screen…. please does anyone know what that song was called? Lots of bass and what I would refer to as “Pump up music” anyone?? thank you ahead of time!!!!