Six Flags Magic Mountain Trip Report For 10 Feb 2013

By on 02/10/2013

It was a pretty typical off-season weekend at Six Flags Magic Mountain. Light crowds and decent weather made it a perfect time to go. This trip report is from 10 Feb 2013.

Every now and then as you’re walking through the park, you’ll see critter tracks. Especially in the wooded areas, and before the heavy foot traffic starts wiping them out. I spotted these tracks crossing the midway underneath Revolution’s lift hill early this morning:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Trip Report 10 Feb 2013

We had a couple of days of really bad weather this past week, however work has continued on the Full Throttle roller coaster construction:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Trip Report 10 Feb 2013

With all of the footer wells now apparently drilled, it’s very obvious where the giant 160′ vertical loop is going to sit. The footers you see sticking up out of the ground are more or less finished, waiting for something to be bolted to them. The rest of the footers are in various states of completion as you follow the line down:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Trip Report 10 Feb 2013

There is a brand new construction wall on the far side of the old Log Jammer station. I’m thinking this is the general area that the new station is going to be built, as the other side of the footers looks to be where the transfer track/maintenance area will be. This new wall is also acting as a construction vehicle entrance/exit. With all of the footer holes now having been dug, the construction vehicles can no longer cross back and forth to each side:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Trip Report 10 Feb 2013

I didn’t see any rebar cages lying around today. It appears that that have all been dropped into their respective holes. As you can see, not all of the concrete has been poured yet, but they are getting very close to being done with all the footers:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Trip Report 10 Feb 2013

From the Superman plaza, not much looks different from last week’s update:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Trip Report 10 Feb 2013

A closer look shows some more footer holes that have been dug, but not yet filled with concrete. Plywood has been placed over the top to help prevent people from falling in:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Trip Report 10 Feb 2013

The backside of the hill is complete and awaiting track pieces to be bolted to the new footers. In this next shot, you can see the locked gate that I’ve taken many pictures from. I don’t think I’ve ever taken a picture looking down on it from up here on the Superman plaza:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Trip Report 10 Feb 2013

Here is a common picture you’ve seen taken from the gate in the above photo. You can also see the blue railing of the Superman plaza up top where I took the previous picture:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Trip Report 10 Feb 2013

I’m really curious what the deal is with the big footer closest to me in the above photo. All of the other footers are of equal size, on the same level, and also perfectly inline with the entrance to the tunnel. The only thing I can think of is that it’s to help offset the lateral forces of the coaster train as it banks down into the tunnel from the dive loop.

I’m also curious what’s going to happen to the path and gate that lead to the tunnel. It’s not very secure now, so I suspect that they’ll either remove it completely or seal it off better. The last thing they need is someone slipping past the gate into the path of an oncoming train.

Most of the completed footers have had nuts added to the bolts, ready for something to be attached to them. The orange caps both protect the bolt threads and help keep people from injuring themselves from the exposed bolts:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Trip Report 10 Feb 2013

Here is the new construction wall as seen from the ground:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Trip Report 10 Feb 2013

Here’s several of those finished footers as seen from the ground:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Trip Report 10 Feb 2013

Employees have been notified that a large crane will arrive in the next couple of weeks that will be used to hoist track pieces into place, officially beginning vertical construction.

In other park news, we saw over the last couple of weeks that the Coaster Candy Company got a brand new roof. I have also learned that it is also getting a brand new air conditioning unit as well, which explains why the interior looks gutted. You can see all of the vent covers from the ceiling stacked up against the far wall:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Trip Report 10 Feb 2013

I’ve also reported that the Ben & Jerry’s lease had expired and the park did not renew it. They will be running their own ice cream locations called 6 Below (Six Below?). I showed a picture last week of the de-branding that is taking place on the freestanding building next to Colossus. Here is what the location that was inside of Food, Etc. currently looks like:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Trip Report 10 Feb 2013

As I was walking past the former Thrill Shot location, I noticed some new fencing:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Trip Report 10 Feb 2013

I’m not sure why, but they completely removed the big storage unit that was here, as well as the material over the top of the canopy. It looks like they worked the electrical conduit around the new fence to keep the lights wired up. I wonder if they have plans for this area:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Trip Report 10 Feb 2013

Lots of new, colorful plants all over the giant planters in front of The Riddler’s Revenge:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Trip Report 10 Feb 2013

Poor Superman has been having a hard time lately. I know it was closed yesterday due to the heavy rains that we had. I’m not sure why it was closed again today, or if it ever opened:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Trip Report 10 Feb 2013

It always puts a big smile on my face when I see someone walking around with a prize like this:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Trip Report 10 Feb 2013

On my way back to my car each day, it always a fun game I play with myself to see how many out-of-state cars I can spot, and which one drove the farthest. This was today’s winner:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Trip Report 10 Feb 2013

Anyone else make it over to the park this weekend? Anything you saw that I missed?

1. MC

02/10/2013 at 9:00 pm

Superman was up and running around 2pm.

2. Brendan

02/10/2013 at 9:01 pm

I was also at the park today. I think I may have seen you at Superman right after opening? My friend and I went to see if it was open and to check out the footers/construction. Superman did open later in the day, and the left side was operating! Got to check that off my list of things to at MM. They also were using the far side of Tatsu’s station (relative to the line, if that makes sense). It was a beautiful day to be at the park! I even walked on X2 midday, which is impressive!

02/10/2013 at 9:16 pm

If you and your friend were the guys talking while leaning up against the barricade around the new footer in the plaza, then yes that was me. You should have said hi. 🙂

• Brendan

02/10/2013 at 10:27 pm

I knew I should have said something! But you started to walk away and we were trying to get ahold of the group we were going to meet up with. I’ll be back in two weeks so hopefully I’ll see you around! Definitely need to say hello and thank you in person for the awesome updates!

3. Casey

02/10/2013 at 9:25 pm

How long do you stay at the park and do you only go to take pics?

02/11/2013 at 9:43 pm

It depends. If I have plans with the family that day, I’ll make a quick pass through the park for photos and be on my way. Sometimes I’ll hop on rides as I walk past them if they’re a walk-on. Every now and then my 14 year old will go with me and we’ll go on lots of rides. With the new season dining pass, I’ve been staying longer and enjoying lunch in the park while people watching. I’d say I average about 3-4 hours/week in the park.

• Casey

02/12/2013 at 5:03 pm

That sounds soooooo relaxing!!!!!!!!!!

4. AvgCoaster

02/10/2013 at 9:38 pm

Did I see you in the line for colossus toward the end of the day today (4:30 to 6:00)?
    I was wearing a “ride the lighting” metallica album cover t-shirt and I believe you wearing a plain, one color, long sleeve? If I would have known it was you I would’ve, of course came up and said hi. Also today was an awesomely light day, but we got stuck on vipers lift hill for almost an hour (they couldnt get the compressor to run), pretty bad sunburns. lol and as always great work and thanks for the updates.
    -Joe

02/11/2013 at 7:44 pm

Did they compensate you in any way for that? An hour is a long time to be sitting in the sun. It seems like they’d have made a decision to evac all of you long before that. But I’m not a park expert, so I don’t know that for sure…

02/11/2013 at 9:47 pm

Nope, wasn’t me. I was gone by 1:00 pm that day and never made it all the way down to Colossus/Scream. Sorry to hear about your experience on Viper. I can’t believe they didn’t just walk you down the lift hill stairs. That’s really bad.

5. Andrew

02/11/2013 at 7:09 am

Looked like on Saturday that they got a new Colossus train out of maintenance, but it doesn’t have a logo on it! Also there is a car (two rows) on the transfer that doesn’t have a chassis, just the metal body and lap bars. There was also a two row car on the right track, which hasn’t operated for about a year. I wonder what they are doing.

02/11/2013 at 9:47 pm

I didn’t actually make it down to Colossus that day, but it sounds like basic rehab work on the trains.

• Andrew

02/12/2013 at 7:17 am

I wonder if they’re working on switching tracks

6. Dylan

02/12/2013 at 7:27 am

How long do you think it will take to get the loop + launch tack with suports done

02/12/2013 at 7:52 am

There’s no way to know because there are too many variables. The time it takes 100 workers working ten hour days, seven days a week in perfect weather with all the right equipment and no complications will be considerably less than five guys working four hour days, three days a week in the pouring rain with a crane that’s too short and footers that don’t line up.

7. Bob winek

02/12/2013 at 8:17 am

Nice explanation 🙂
    Have the cars shown up yet

02/15/2013 at 1:04 pm

Nope, not yet. We probably won’t see those until the track is close to being completed, and they haven’t even started on that yet.

8. Andy

02/13/2013 at 9:06 pm

There a hit why the orient express ws close that are marking on those cars looks like they might replace them. Check it out next u go I was kinda questioning myself about it v

02/13/2013 at 9:40 pm

I actually saw the fresh measurement markings on the side of one of them as it slid into the station. I stared at it for a moment, wondering what it was, but then the door opened and we entered. I assumed it was for some maintenance work and didn’t give it a second thought. How do markings on these cars give any indication that they are going to be replaced with new ones?

• Andrew

02/13/2013 at 9:41 pm

It was open Saturday.

9. Andy

02/15/2013 at 11:00 pm

The measurements looks like the measurement on the stations. The kinda match the weird part was that I saw the markings where either for new cars or maybe measuring from an identical type of transportation at other park of the park. But that seems very unlikely to happen. Well lets see what the park bring for orient express in the couple of months