Don't Miss

By on February 17, 2013

Six Flags Magic Mountain Full Throttle Logo

It’s been a few week since my last dedicated Full Throttle construction update from Six Flags Magic Mountain, so I figured it was time for another one. This update shows the status of the roller coaster build as of 17 Feb 2013.

The biggest change in the last week is that it looks like the last of the concrete has been poured for the footers. There are no more open footer holes:

Full Throttle Construction Update #7

After zooming in and looking closely at all of the footers, they all appear to have their bolts protruding through the top with the nuts already attached:

Full Throttle Construction Update #7

I’m assuming that the two “T-shaped” footers still have wood casings because the concrete hasn’t completely cured yet. Note the different shades of grey in the concrete:

Full Throttle Construction Update #7

Further up the hillside, all of the footers appear to be complete as well:

Full Throttle Construction Update #7

At the very top of the hill, there appears to be some sort of wood deck:

Full Throttle Construction Update #7

They are definitely wood planks, but I have no idea what they are going to be used for:

Full Throttle Construction Update #7

The planks are not inline with the tunnel. As you can see here, the tunnel is in the top-right and the planks are just off to the side of where the track will likely exit the tunnel:

Full Throttle Construction Update #7

This marking doesn’t look fresh, but I sure don’t remember seeing it before. It’s also nowhere near where the footers were installed in the Superman plaza:

Full Throttle Construction Update #7

The only change on the backside of the hill is that all of the shrubs have been cleared away:

Full Throttle Construction Update #7

The whole hillside is very clean now and ready for a coaster track:

Full Throttle Construction Update #7

All of the finished footers close to the station, as seen from the ground:

Full Throttle Construction Update #7

This appears to be the path that the loop is going to take up the hill:

Full Throttle Construction Update #7

It’s interesting to see all of the different shapes and sizes of footers that are needed:

Full Throttle Construction Update #7

Still nothing new to report on the old Palace Games building. It looks like they’re just using it to keep things dry and out of the weather:

Full Throttle Construction Update #7

Off in the distance, more coaster and support columns continue to arrive. I just love how Superman, Scream, Goliath, and Colossus all blend together from this view::

Full Throttle Construction Update #7

Most of the pieces arriving lately from Premier Rides are support columns:

Full Throttle Construction Update #7

With the footers looking done, and many track pieces already onsite, we should be seeing vertical construction beginning very soon. Six Flags Magic Mountain informed employees at the beginning of the month that a large crane would be showing up in the next few weeks to start installing the track. We should be getting very close to seeing that happen.

1. Robert

02/17/2013 at 6:23 pm

Thanks for the update will be glad to finally see this thing go vertical!!!

Far as the wood planks I believe that’s what the crane will sit on so it doesn’t sink into the mountain, I remember seeing wooden planks being used in the creek bed during Skyrush

02/18/2013 at 8:22 am

Ohhh…of course!! Excellent call, Robert. I bet you’re exactly right. That makes perfect sense.

02/17/2013 at 6:45 pm

It makes sense that there would be more support columns on site at this time than track sections. They have to put up the columns before they can attach the track.

From what I’ve seen so far, I’ve pretty much decided that Full Throttle is not going to be a very long ride, so it should go up fairly quickly. I’m also interested in what else is going to be in that area in terms of attractions. It would be great if there is some sort of flat ride, but I’m not counting on that.

A few friends are going to be at Magic Mountain tomorrow (President’s Day), and I’m toying with the idea of meeting up with them out there. We’ll see…

Thanks for the update; looking forward to what’s next.

02/18/2013 at 8:30 am

I’ll probably be there for a bit, as well, so keep an eye out for me.

3. Pingback: Full Throttle Construction Article Roundup - The Coaster Guy

4. jeremy

02/18/2013 at 1:02 pm

I was wondering…No one seems to be able to give me a straight answer…Is full throttle going to have over the head restraints..or just a bar??..Maybe it hasn’t been decided yet. I would think if they knew it would be talked about correct? Everywhere I look..it says what the coaster will do but does not mention the restraints! Thanks

02/18/2013 at 3:04 pm

We don’t know for sure yet, Jeremy, because it hasn’t been announced. All we have to go on is what we see in the animated video, which may or may not be actual. We do know that Premier Rides has lapbar-only restraints that will easily accomodate a ride like this, but that doesn’t mean that SFMM won’t ask for OTSRs to be added for whatever reason, like perhaps lower insurance rates. We’ll just have to wait and see.

5. chilton schilling

02/18/2013 at 4:05 pm

My guess with the marking in the Superman plaza has to do with the line for Superman. My guess is that might be a place where they will put a poll to put a netting in-between the track and the people on the ground to prevent people from getting hit by loose change or something like that. Or to prevent people from throwing stuff up to the people on full throttle. Just a guess

• Josh

02/19/2013 at 12:13 pm

I believe the “path” you were referring to is the road for the crane to lift the track segments into place. Never the less I would love to have a path through there to make it up the mountain quicker and to get a awesome view of the ride.

• Josh

02/19/2013 at 12:14 pm

I’m sorry I typed that in the wrong place.