UA-20143982-1 Full Throttle Construction Crane Arrives at SFMM - The Coaster Guy

Full Throttle Construction Crane Arrives At Six Flags Magic Mountain

By on 02/19/2013

Six Flags Magic Mountain Full Throttle Logo

I was driving past Six Flags Magic Mountain and I couldn’t help but notice a major new addition to their skyline. The Full Throttle construction crane has finally arrived onsite. We knew they were getting close, but this confirms it. Now that the crane is here, we should start seeing support columns and track pieces start to go up, also known as vertical construction.

Unfortunately, I only had my iPhone on me, so this is as good as you get for now. As you can see in this first photo, the park was closed today, so this was as close as I could get:

Full Throttle Construction Crane

This is a massive crane and definitely adds a unique element to the Magic Mountain skyline:

Full Throttle Construction Crane

From a distance, you can see how tall it is in relation to Superman and the Sky Tower:

Full Throttle Construction Crane

Six Flags Magic Mountain posted this photo on their Facebook page the next day:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Full Throttle Crane

Image © Six Flags

Premier Rides, the Full Throttle manufacturer, posted this photo of the crane:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Full Throttle Crane

Image © Premier Rides

Those giant counterweights you see stacked up on the back of the crane are labeled as 20,000 lbs each. With five on each side, that’s a whopping 200,000 lbs! Add to that the weight of the crane itself and, like Premier said, you have yourself a very serious machine. Judging from the size of this thing, and where it’s sitting, it looks like most of the ride can be installed without having to move it. Of course, considering that it’s sitting in the middle of where the track will eventually go, they’ll have to drive it out before installing the last few pieces of track, otherwise it will be stuck there.

1. Pingback: Full Throttle Construction Article Roundup - The Coaster Guy

2. Mike

02/19/2013 at 4:13 pm

they are taking forever on this! it is guite pathetic

3. Robert

02/19/2013 at 4:45 pm

Finally!!! maybe there’s still hope on this thing opening before July lol

4. Casey

02/19/2013 at 4:53 pm

A crane that big is needed for a ride that’s only going to be 160 feet tall? It’s almost taller than Superman!!!Scratch That,it IS taller than Superman!!! Why so tall?

02/19/2013 at 5:20 pm

I think they are going to park this crane on those wood planks next to the tunnel and use it to install every piece without having to move it around. Judging from it’s size, it should be able to handle that easily.

• Alex

02/19/2013 at 11:31 pm

I guess this confirms that there will be no surprises despite no fact sheets ever being released regarding the ride length. It looks like the CGI video is pretty accurate and that Full Throttle will indeed be a short (but great) rollercoaster. Sigh, oh well. Should be fun either way.

02/22/2013 at 12:27 am

From the looks of it, I predict a total ride time of under a minute. I have to admit that the lack of a fact sheet at this time baffles me. But, we’ll see.

• Alex

02/22/2013 at 11:17 pm

Yea Eric, ever since you began mentioning how little technical info is available for this ride I began to keep my eye on it… Nada.. I think your right with your prediction.

02/19/2013 at 4:54 pm

Now that the crane is on site, it shouldn’t be long before those support columns go up. Of course, they need to arrive at the park from the Premier factory first, but I anticipate this ride going up fairly quickly. Perhaps it will be ready by Memorial Day after all. Even by mid-June would be OK by me. That’s four months from now.

6. Robert

02/19/2013 at 5:07 pm

Casey I’m guessing they are using such a massive crane so the boom will be able to reach both sides of the mountain without having to actually move the crane. They will most likely park it up on those wooden planks Kurt just took pics of the other day, and from there it will be able to reach both sides of the mountain to place track and supports. At least that’s my best guess on why they would need a 350 foot crane to construct a 160-170 foot max coaster.

02/19/2013 at 5:21 pm

Whoops, I should have read all the comments first. This i s exactly what I was thinking as well. ;-)

• Casey

02/20/2013 at 3:28 pm

Well,that makes sense.Thanks,Robert.

7. bejammin

02/19/2013 at 5:11 pm

The build time for a steel coaster is typically 28 days. Using a crane that large means they can place all the pieces together without having to move the crane. When viper was being build construction began in june of 1989, vetical construction started in jan of 1990 and the ride opened in time for spring break so they are pretty much on time.

8. Ryan O

02/19/2013 at 8:29 pm

While Magic Mountain usually seems slow to construct new rides, I’m surprised at the speed they’re working on this! Can’t wait to see how awesome that loop looks.

9. Zac

02/19/2013 at 8:58 pm

I’m shocked at the people that think construction is going slow. This is the fastest I have ever seen SFMM build a ride. We can’t forget they had to drill and fill 50+ bases

10. Mark

02/19/2013 at 9:02 pm

It’s not a “bad storm,” it’s rain. Los Angeles should consider it a blessing to have any rain this time of year given that it is a desert and most of its water supply comes from hundreds of miles away via pipelines that cross earthquake faults.

I rode the Premier coaster at Six Flags Discovery Kingdom, it is surprisingly intense. It’s a short ride but there were not any dull parts. You’re dizzy when it stops. It probably has the most intense “airtime” of any coaster in California, maybe more intense than Xcelerator.

02/19/2013 at 9:22 pm

I meant that in a relative sense, Mark. I grew up in Oregon, so this is nothing. However, it’s pretty intense for this area. The snow level is supposed to drop to around 2000′ tonight, which means the Grapevine will probably close. As the primary interstate corridor in and out of Los Angeles from the north, weather like this really creates havoc. But like you said, we can always use the rain.

11. Dylan

02/21/2013 at 12:07 pm

I’m so excited to se vertical construction finally. It’s going very quick now, I’m really surprised. The only thing I’m worried about is the rethemeing. If anything that could be what makes the coaster opening date be pushed back

12. Pingback: Neu 2013: Full Throttle (Premier Rides, Launch Coaster) @ Six Flags Magic Mountain - Seite 6

13. Andrue Valles

02/23/2013 at 11:47 am

I seriously cannot wait for Full Throttle. It is absolutely wonderful to see all this construction. I can’t wait until this summer. I am 13 years old and I think Magic Mountain is the most enjoyable place in the world. I think Full Throttle will be the perfect new addition to SFMM’s others. I cannot tell you enough how much I thank you for doing all these updates, Kurk. seriously, Thak you.

02/23/2013 at 12:47 pm

Thank you, Andrue. I’m glad you like the site. :-)