Full Throttle Construction Update #8

By on 02/23/2013

Six Flags Magic Mountain Full Throttle Logo

These Full Throttle construction updates from Six Flags Magic Mountain are getting more exciting as we’re getting closer to the completion of the project. With the arrival of a giant crane earlier this week, we know that vertical construction is about to begin. This Full Throttle construction update is from 23 Feb 2013.

It’s hard to miss the giant crane they brought in to start installing track pieces. It’s the first thing you see when you walk into the park, jutting way up into the sky:

Full Throttle Construction Update

Even from the Sky Tower, it’s still imposing. The Sky Tower is at the very top of the hill, and the crane is quite a bit lower, yet they’re both almost the same height:

Full Throttle Construction Update

I’m guessing the rectangular area carved into the dirt is the outline for where the new station is going to be built. That would allow for a launch directly from the station into the loop:

Full Throttle Construction Update

Here’s a closer view of what they’re doing there:

Full Throttle Construction Update

Here’s another view of the crane as seen from the Superman plaza:

Full Throttle Construction Update

It absolutely cracks me up that the name of the business is Mr. Crane:

Full Throttle Construction Update

Many of the footers have been fitted with a couple of discs or washers, and one of them is always painted pink. I’m guessing this is some sort of indicator to ensure they get the support column mounted the right way. There is also a bunch of nuts, some sort of green bushings, and what appears to be a stack of small metal pieces, perhaps some sort of spacer:

Full Throttle Construction Update

Concrete blocks have been added to extend the tunnel wall down a bit more:

Full Throttle Construction Update

Several railroad ties have been added along the back hillside above the new footers, presumably to help prevent erosion:

Full Throttle Construction Update

A few have been added in random spots, with a small well dug in front of it. I’m hoping this is where they plan to plant some new trees to restore some of landscaping that was removed:

Full Throttle Construction Update

There are a couple of new markers on the non-construction side of the fence. I’m guessing they’re for whatever new fence is going to be installed here. I just hope it’s not chain link:

Full Throttle Construction Update

From the ground, you can see the area marked off for the new station in the background. There are also lots of electrical conduit pieces stacked up and ready to go for the wiring:

Full Throttle Construction Update

Here’s a little closer shot of the station area from the ground:

Full Throttle Construction Update

A trailer is parked in the construction zone with what appears to be the first couple of large support columns to be installed:

Full Throttle Construction Update

Several people have asked me about the square holes in the top of the footers. If you look at the bottom of this support column, you can see a square piece of steel that has been welded on. This is what slips into the center of the concrete footer to keep the column in place during load transfers. The nuts and bolts merely keep the column firmly attached to the footer:

Full Throttle Construction Update

Further up the hill, there are several more support column pieces ready to be installed:

Full Throttle Construction Update

There was some work being done today, but not much. These guys were working in and around the old Log Jammer pump house, but I think they’re park employees:

Full Throttle Construction Update

As I was leaving for the day, I took one last look over my shoulder at that massive crane. It really is amazing at how big it is. It just hovers high above everything:

1. Pingback: Full Throttle Construction Article Roundup - The Coaster Guy

02/23/2013 at 6:33 pm

Kind of strange why the old Log Jammer pump house is still there. They may have plans to repurpose it into something else or it would have been removed when Log Jammer was.

Now that the crane and support sections are on site, we should see construction take off at a faster rate. It won’t be long before track shows up.

Seeing that piece of I-beam welded onto the bottom of the support poles makes sense of the square hole in the footers. That should hold the support in place fairly well along with the bolts. I’m still surprised that those aren’t a larger diameter, but since none of us has gone to measure one, we don’t know how big they actually are. Again I’ll say, the engineers and designers at Premier certainly know what they’re doing a whole lot better than I do.

02/26/2013 at 8:34 pm

I’m thinking the old pump house had quite a bit of electricity fed into it in order to power the pumps. My guess is that they are using this as the power source for Full Throttle.

3. chilton schilling

02/23/2013 at 6:34 pm

I have never been on the monorail because it was always closed everytime I been. So I don’t know how long the tunnel is. So do you think they are going to extend the tunnel? Or at least remodel it? Because I know that tunnel has some age to it.

02/23/2013 at 6:38 pm

That tunnel is no longer than 120-150 feet at the most. An entire six-car Metro train could fit inside it while it was stopped to pick up and drop off passengers at the station there. Since the tunnel is lined with concrete, its age shouldn’t be a factor in anything they do there (unless they were planning a burst of fire or anything like that). My guess is that they may want to enclose a bit more of the launch…I honestly don’t know.

4. chilton schilling

02/23/2013 at 6:48 pm

Thanks I was just curious about that. Hopefully we see some vertical construction next week. Seems like the only part that will hold this up is the construction of the loading station and the wiring. Anyone know if they do this the same time as the vertical construction?

02/23/2013 at 7:09 pm

It’s possible that they could begin laying the electrical system and building the station and queue at the same time as putting up supports. There are no tall supports near the station (according to the video at least), so the crane shouldn’t need to be working there. Also, I don’t know if that crane will be putting up any of the shorter supports or if they’ll do that with a different piece of equipment.

5. Ryan O

02/23/2013 at 7:43 pm

I wonder how they will install the track in the tunnel, since you obviously can’t fit a crane inside there.

02/23/2013 at 7:58 pm

They could join a couple of track sections and feed it through one side. But the track inside the tunnel will have the LIMs and any braking, but they could install that once the track is bolted down in there. I’d imagine it could be done the same way that the track on Speed: The Ride was done in Las Vegas. The NASCAR Cafe building already existed and they put track into the launch tunnel there, so it won’t be a problem here.

02/26/2013 at 8:53 pm

This has been a big question of mine. I realize they can simply slide the track in, but how is it secured? As far as I know, there are no footers in the tunnel. With a slow moving monorail, this probably wasn’t a concern. However, there will be a heavy train dropping in at a high rate of speed that needs to be stopped fast. Add to that the backwards and forward launch, and I would think there needs to be a beefy foundation.

6. Andrue Valles

02/23/2013 at 8:08 pm

Thanks once again for the amazing update!:)

7. chilton schilling

02/23/2013 at 8:22 pm

I know its early but the entrance looks pretty small. I’m sure they will do more then that square. But instead of completely demolishing the log hammer entrance, you think they might use that as an exit? I for one don’t like waiting for a train to leave a station to get off. Empty train pulls into loading station. Sounds like a good idea to me.

02/26/2013 at 8:37 pm

I’m pretty sure the rest of the Log Jammer station will go away once they are close to finishing the ride. I think they’re just using it as a construction wall for now.

8. Tim

02/23/2013 at 9:18 pm

It’s getting exciting to see this new ride go up, and how they’re transforming that space. Two questions, how will they get that big crance down that slope once the track goes in, will it go down the slope carefully so it doesn’t topple over, and vere to the right where the old Arcade is located, so it can lift pieces from that vantage point? That’s a big crane, I am not sure how they even got that thing in there, the park that is. Second question, what will become of the old Log Jammer station structure? If the new station for Full Throttle is that rectangular trench in the dirt, the Log Jammer building station structure will be torn down, however they would of done that by now. It may serve a purpose for the new ride, perhaps the new main entrance and queue area for FT, redesigning the exterior, new paint job. Until the construction continues, only time will tell how things will work out. Thanks for the updates, great website and information. -Tim

• James

02/23/2013 at 10:07 pm

The neck of the crane may be telescopic, which would leave it easily able to drive through the park and up the hill.

02/26/2013 at 8:46 pm

The removal of the crane is a good callout, Tim. I meant to address this in my post, but I forgot. I think the crane was simply driven up the path you see in the aerial photo. The construction wall in front of the General Sam tree is actually a gate, allowing vehicles to enter the area. That’s probably where it came in. However, they now have that giant dugout for the new station (presumably) right in the middle of that path, so it can’t go back out that way. I wouldn’t think it could go out by the old arcade building because you wouldn’t want it driving over the top of the footers. There’s got to be an exit strategy for it, we just need to figure out what it is.

02/26/2013 at 8:48 pm

As far as the old Log Jammer building goes, I expect to see that eventually go away. I think they’ve just kept part of it there to act as a natural construction wall while they build out FT.

9. chilton schilling

02/24/2013 at 1:24 pm

I figure the log jammer station is just Being used as a construction wall. But looking at the track layout they can easily use that for an exit. I’m excited for this coaster but you think coming down from a 160 ft loop they can do more with full throttle then straight into a brake run. And after thinking for a bit, it seems like the purpose of the reverse launch is to slow it down a bit. The coaster wont have enough speed without the tunnel launch to go over, only foward launch gives it to much g forces possibly after a while the train to break Tom the wheels. With the reverse launch it brings the train slower in to the tunnel giving it the right speed to go over the top hat safely. Any thoughts?

02/26/2013 at 8:57 pm

There aren’t enough footers lined up next to the old building for an exit platform. The whole train would need to lined up straight in order to make this work. I’m almost positive the building will be going away.

10. Pingback: Neu 2013: Full Throttle (Premier Rides, Launch Coaster) @ Six Flags Magic Mountain - Seite 6

11. Casey

02/24/2013 at 3:29 pm

I wish they were adding a few more rides to the newly themed area!

• Evan

02/24/2013 at 7:33 pm

Probably in the future.

12. joseph

02/26/2013 at 9:04 pm

ever since the crane came in have you been going to the park everyday to see if somethings new?

02/26/2013 at 9:14 pm

Unfortunately, we’re in the off-season now and the park is only open on the weekends. However, make sure you check back tomorrow as I should have a surprise for you. 🙂

02/27/2013 at 12:15 am

I wonder if that’s tied in to what I’m doing tomorrow? 😉

02/27/2013 at 8:25 am

I don’t think it is, Eric. What you’re doing sounds like fun, but I couldn’t be in two places at once. 🙁

13. Almonzo

02/28/2013 at 9:18 pm

The old station is being re-purposed as train storage. It will have two sets of transfer tracks/points.

02/28/2013 at 9:28 pm

Nope, not according to the guy in charge of the build. Besides, the footers have already been set, so we can see exactly where the storage track will be.