Six Flags Magic Mountain Trip Report For 23 Feb 2013

By on 02/24/2013

This is a very short trip report from Six Flags Magic Mountain. Other than the Full Throttle construction, there hasn’t been much going on in the park this past week. That will change as we get closer to the season opening, but for now it’s been pretty quiet. This report is from a trip to the park on 23 Feb 2013.

One of Los Angeles’ most popular radio stations, KIIS-FM 102.7, was on hand for an event in the ticket booth plaza. I’m not quite sure what it was because they were still setting up when I entered the park and they were gone by the time I exited the park:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Trip Report

The park was holding an event of their own this day, a hiring event. Unlike what the other Six Flags parks are still doing today, Six Flags Magic Mountain is no longer hosting open hiring events where you just show up and apply for a job on the spot. Due to an overwhelming turnout of people in the past, you must now fill out an application online (here) and be pre-screened. If they’re interested in talking to you, they will call you to setup an interview. They will bring a bunch of people in at the same time, which it what today’s event was. You park in the very back parking lot and walk down an access road next to Scream, where they have tents, tables and a small building to process and interview you:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Trip Report

The new A/C system for the Coaster Candy Company still doesn’t look done, as there are lots of pieces just sitting on the roof. I’m no A/C guy, but this seems to be taking awhile:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Trip Report

Around 11:00 am, a full half hour after the park opened, I wandered over to Superman. There wasn’t anyone around, but the ride looked open, so I wandered in. Sure enough it was open, so I hopped on and took two rides all by myself. A few more people showed up and the five of us rode it two more times. There still wasn’t anyone else there, and we could have kept riding it some more, but four cycles was plenty for me. This is precisely why I get spoiled and won’t wait in long lines. I just ride the coasters when I’m walking by and see nobody is on them:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Superman: Escape from Krypton

Speaking of Superman, I spotted this next gem as I was walking around. Can anyone tell me where it can be found in the park:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Trip Report

I’ve now heard from three different park sources that Jet Stream has been identified as the next major ride to be removed from the park. This is just purely a rumor, but a very interesting one. After the removal of Log Jammer back in 2011 to make room for Full Throttle, people were saying that one flume ride was sufficient for this park. If they remove Jet Stream, they won’t have any. Roaring Rapids and Tidal Wave will be the only water rides left in the park, both of which leave you more wet than I care to get.

When I was waiting in line for the main gate to open, the Six Flags survey employee was working the line. One of the questions he was asking everyone was how important water rides were to them. If they’re seriously thinking about getting rid of Jet Stream, it makes sense that they would be surveying their guests. Personally, this does make sense to me. Like Jog Jammer before it, Jet Stream is very old and showing it’s age. It leaks like a sieve and must be a pain to maintain. This next photo is a very common site for Jet Stream. It’s one of the support columns and you can see the water just pouring down in three different spots:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Trip Report

I think Six Flags needs to completely revitalize the entire Cyclone Bay corner of the park. They have Apocalypse, and just added Slingshot, but they need more. If they remove Jet Stream and add some sort of killer coaster in that spot, they could be onto something. Throw in a major thrill ride in Deja Vu‘s old spot and fix up the rest of the area like DC Universe and presumably the new Full Throttle area, and they have something huge! What do you think?

In keeping with my plan to eventually try every Season Dining Pass option, I opted for the fish and chips today at Food Etc. After placing my order and paying, she took my name and said she’d call me when it was ready. Nobody was in front of me and only a couple of people came in behind me and ordered drinks. After waiting for 10 minutes, and seeing the employee not really doing anything, I went back up and politely asked if she had forgotten about my order. She said they were making it fresh in the back and it should be ready any minute. I sat back down and waited. It finally came out six minutes later. I paid at 11:50 am and got my food at 12:06 pm. Sixteen minutes for two strips of fish seems way too long for anyone to wait for this type of order, especially when it’s the only order they have. The fries were already made and waiting under a heat lamp up front when the fish came out. At that rate, I can’t imagine how backed up they must get when it’s really busy with lots of orders.

Despite the long wait, the fish was actually quite good. I must admit that I was skeptical about ordering fish at a theme park. It was very hot and definitely fresh out of the fryer. There was a decent amount of fish in each strip and just the right amount of batter. It wasn’t greasy, either, which I was completely expecting, meaning it was cooked at the right temperature and for the right length of time. The accompanying tartar sauce was also very fresh and tasty. I was pleasantly surprised with the meal and recommend it if you like fish and chips:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Trip Report

I have no idea what this is, but I saw it out back when I was waiting to get on Scream so I snapped a pic. I’m thinking it may be more pieces for the construction crane:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Trip Report

Speaking of Scream, I met Scott Turtel and his sons while on the ride. They were visiting from Seattle and this was their first time to Magic Mountain, so I wanted to give them a shout out:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Trip Report

On a final note, the Canadian geese have started to arrive back in the park for the season. And what I really mean by this is, make sure you watch where you walk. They’re very messy:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Trip Report

02/25/2013 at 12:51 am

I’m not surprised that Jet Stream may be on the chopping block. It’s now older than Log Jammer was when it closed in 2011. Flume rides are notoriously expensive to maintain, operate and repair, and they suck energy, too. A park out in the desert like Magic Mountain needs water rides to help people keep cool. Maybe they’re thinking of combining the two parks at some point as other parks have done. It’s going to be interesting.

02/26/2013 at 8:59 pm

It could also be a ploy to sell more Gold Passes. With access to both parks, perhaps they figure people could just go next door to HH if they want to cool down with water, opening up more space in MM for thrill rides.

2. chilton schilling

02/25/2013 at 7:30 am

You took the words right out of my mouth. I went to six flags St. Louis for my 13th bday and we didn’t think hurricane harrbor was with the ticket. We were use to magic mountain. As the day was ending we took a train through the park and as we passed by hurricane harbor, they told us we can get in with a six flags ticket. Still had fun though but not nearly as fun as magic mountain. If you take out the water rides, then combine the 2 Parks.

3. Bob winek

02/25/2013 at 2:29 pm

Have the new busses been put into operation yet

02/25/2013 at 4:38 pm

I have heard that they’ll be put into service sometime in March, which sounds reasonable since they’ve just had their graphics applied.

4. Johnny

02/25/2013 at 2:50 pm

Perhaps there is a new water ride in the works. Something like Dive Vertical.

• Casey

02/26/2013 at 6:25 am

That would be AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5. Tim

02/25/2013 at 5:56 pm

Great Report. As for water rides at the park, I would rather vote for them to remove Todal Wave, and in it’s place build a drop tower water ride such as Pilgrim’s Plunge at Holiday World.
    [http://www.ultimaterollercoaster.com/news/stories/img/hw-pilgrims-plunge_01.jpg]

Jet Stream may cost quite a lot of money to maintain, and it’s not as fun as Log Jammer. Jet Stream has one short drop, and one big drop, and you don’t really get wet. Jet Stream doesn’t have those water blaster tubes for guests to operate and blast water on the guests in the boats, like Log Jammer had. I think they should keep Jet Stream for a bit longer, and rip out Tidal Wave, that ride is showing it’s age too, and it’s quite boring. They need to first design something that will fit into Deja Vu’s old spot, poor Apocalypse is lonely without a companion ride, there is that new Sling Shot ride, but that isn’t a coaster or flat ride. Maybe a flat ride in that space may attract bigger crowds to that corner. The park has many possibilities. Keep us all updated on the continued work with FT and updates in the park. Always enjoy your updates and website.

6. Casey

02/26/2013 at 6:26 am

Tidal Wave is one the WORST rides in the park,and Jet Stream is one of my favorite!!!Why can’t they demolish Tidal Wave instead?!

• Thomas

03/01/2013 at 9:56 pm

Tidal wave should just be moved to HH. Other water parks have Tidal Wave type rides in their parks.

Legoland installed one recently and it sits between both parks. There are two queue lines separated by a fence, one for each park. Each boat carries passengers for each park. As you exit, you are shuttled to the exit line to re-enter the park you came from.

7. JJJJ

02/26/2013 at 11:35 am

Look i love coasters, but removing more water rides would be idiotic. Do the people making these decisions not realize how hot it gets in the summer? Have them stand in a 3 hour tatsu ride and see how appealing the water rides suddenly are.

What was great about log + jet stream is you could pick how wet you wanted to get.

Tidal wave is important because of the bridge splash zone, thats an extra attraction on its own. The ride itself is high capacity and must be the easiest ride to maintain the park, its so short.

If they get rid of jet stream, they should only do so once they build Super Logs.

Also, having a survey about water rides in February? That sure is a flawed survey method!

• Casey

02/26/2013 at 8:05 pm

I see why they’re having the survey in February,since summer is around the corner.I completely forgot about the splash zone though!

02/26/2013 at 9:05 pm

It doesn’t matter when the survey is done, it’s going to be skewed. By doing it in summer, everyone will say water rides are very important. By doing it in winter, they’re going to say they’re not that important. Now that I think about it, perhaps that’s what they’re counting on by doing the survey now. 😉

• JJJ

02/27/2013 at 10:53 pm

Thats the point, I forget the exact stats term but its like push polling….asking to get the result you want.

8. zac

02/26/2013 at 9:40 pm

At johnny rockets when the lines are long during summer, I usually grab a couple of trays and line them with the johnny rockets paper and serve the guests free glasses of water while they wait. They guests always really appreciate it.

9. Victor C

03/21/2013 at 12:26 pm

Why can’t they rebursh all 3 water rides? Tidal wave can be made longer along with a higher and steeper drop. The ride can be extended to feature two drops instead of one drop. Knott’s former record breaking water ride: Perlious Plunge was dismantled in 2012 and is being replaced with 3 flat rides (a huge disappointment). Roaring Rapids can be modified to feature a drop (like at Disney California Adventure). Roaring Rapids is a little bit too short for a rafting ride. Additional water effects similar to the Gully Washer at SF Texas can be added to Roaring Rapids. Jet Stream can have additional water effects along with a longer ride time similar to the former Log Jammer ride. Jet Stream can be modified to feature more drops. The final drop should be higher in height and steeper as well.

There is no need for SFMM to remove any of these water rides. Frankly the only reason I think Log Jammer was removed was because of SFMM’ s competition with Cedar Point on maintaining the crown of the park with the highest amount of roller coasters. While it is a glory mark for the park, some visitors find it disappointing. SFMM should consider removing some flat rides at the park with little movement such as Wonder Woman Lasso of truth. It is disappointing to believe SFMM features NO DARK RIDES!!The theatre near Colossus can be modified to feature a dark ride.