Don't Miss

Hard Hat Tour Of The Full Throttle Construction

By on February 27, 2013

Six Flags Magic Mountain Full Throttle Logo

Six Flags Magic Mountain opened up the construction wall today for a hard hat tour of the Full Throttle construction site. A very small group of reporters and bloggers were invited in to get an up close and personal view of the progress they have made so far. I feel very fortunate to have been part of that group.

There were only about five of us, plus a small group of Six Flags employees as our escorts. We were met in front of the park by Tim Burkhart, Magic Mountain’s Director of Maintenance, Construction and Engineering, who was going to be our official guide:

Full Throttle Construction Hard Hat Tour

As soon as we entered the construction area, the space just seemed to open up. The entrance to the ride is going to be a giant tent-like structure with a jumbotron TV inside playing music videos. It’s going to be located just past the orange cone you see below. The path will then lead underneath the track, just before the loop, and then turn right into the loading station:

Full Throttle Construction Hard Hat Tour

Mr. Burkhart was very open with us about the project, answering any questions we had. Everything in this area will support living the Full Throttle lifestyle, but the area won’t have a specific race car or motorcycle theme.  ”It’s going to be the most heavily themed area that we have ever done,” said Burkhart:

Full Throttle Construction Hard Hat Tour

The old Palace games building will be completely re-skinned for the Full Throttle theme. The entire area in front of it will be a giant plaza. The building will house two food locations and some retail space. One side will be a brand new hot wing restaurant, featuring a Full Throttle-themed menu including several all new hot wing flavors developed in-house. The other side will be gourmet hot dogs, much like Loaded Dogs was, but with a new name. The middle will be a combination of retail space and multiple Coca-Cola Freestyle machines. The entire back of the building is being reserved for a secret future project:

Full Throttle Construction Hard Hat Tour

The area just beyond the people in this next photo will be a seating area to eat your meal, as well as an outdoor BBQ for cooking the hot dogs:

Full Throttle Construction Hard Hat Tour

There were lots of people working on this ride today. The old Log Jammer pump house will not be used for anything. It was actually kept as a matter of cost savings. It would have cost $150,000 to remove it and then re-engineer the hillside. It was far less expensive to keep it, add a new roof and some paint, then slap some sort of Full Throttle sign on it:

Full Throttle Construction Hard Hat Tour

What’s left of the old Log Jammer station will actually remain. The front of it will be preserved to keep the High Sierra Territory theme alive as people walk past Mooseburger Lodge. The inside will be used for a maintenance shop for the Full Throttle ride, as well as storage. The Fright Fest maze Blackout, which was located in this station and very popular last Halloween, will be brought back this year but relocated to another part of the park:

Full Throttle Construction Hard Hat Tour

Unfortunately, several more trees had to be removed. Hopefully they’ll be replaced:

Full Throttle Construction Hard Hat Tour

The track pieces are being shuttled from the parking lot, where they are being stored, to the construction area via these trailers:

Full Throttle Construction Hard Hat Tour

In addition to track pieces, there were also several columns ready to be installed. Some of the larger columns weigh up to 30,000 lbs each:

Full Throttle Construction Hard Hat Tour

This next picture shows how the crane got up the hill. It arrived from Washington on 21 semi-trucks. It was then assembled and driven up the hill using the path you see. The boom is 340′ long and the entire crane weighs 900,000 lbs! Once the back half of the ride is complete, the crane will drive down the hill and park just to the left of this shot, and will remain there until the rest of the track is complete:

Full Throttle Construction Hard Hat Tour

The support columns starting around the Gold Rusher track and extending around to the backside of the hill were the first to be installed:

Full Throttle Construction Hard Hat Tour

It’s very nice to see this construction start to go vertical:

Full Throttle Construction Hard Hat Tour

After the above columns were installed, they next installed all the track inside the tunnel. They bored small holes into the existing concrete structure, filled them with epoxy, and then inserted threaded bolts. Once set, they were then able to bolt down the track inside the tunnel. A 40,000 lb long-reach forklift was hoisted up to the tunnel with the big crane. This is what they used to get the track pieces inside the tunnel. The tunnel is one solid piece of concrete and exceeds the minimum requirements for the load that will be placed on it:

Full Throttle Construction Hard Hat Tour

After the tunnel track was installed, they started working backwards on the track installation, placing the pieces on the back hill next. Once the track makes its way over the Superman plaza and next to the Gold Rusher track, the crane will be moved down the hill:

Image © Premier Rides

After the crane is moved, the track in the loading station will be done next. This will allow them to work in parallel,  continuing to build the loading station while the vertical loop assembly begins. At this point, it’s a race between the track fabricator and the team assembling the ride. They’re predicting the track install to be complete in early April.

The track length is 2,200′ long and the entire ride will last between 1:20 – 1:30 minutes. Two trains, carrying 18 riders each, will launch directly from the loading station. The stop in the tunnel will be approximately 2-3 seconds to execute the special effects. Those are still a secret and won’t be revealed until the ride’s debut. The forward launch out of the tunnel will produce 1-1.25 seconds of airtime as the train rounds the top of the vertical loop. The expected throughput of the ride is between 750-800 riders per hour.

Once our tour was over, we were invited over to Mooseburger Lodge to sample the various hot wing flavors they are developing for the new Full Throttle hot wings restaurant:

Full Throttle Construction Hard Hat Tour

The six different flavors we sampled were Original Buffalo, Lemon Pepper, Hot Habenero, Orange, Bar-B-Que, and Garlic Parmesan. I have a very sensitive mouth, so I didn’t even attempt the Habernero. Everyone said they were majorly hot. My favorites were the Orange and Garlic Parmesan:

Full Throttle Construction Hard Hat Tour

We also sampled the Garlic Fries and the Full Throttle Fries, which were topped with Thousand Island dressing, cheddar cheese, and caramelized onions:

Full Throttle Construction Hard Hat Tour

I’d like to thank Robert Bustle, who is in charge of Magic Mountain‘s food and beverage, for the preview of their new food offerings. Everything was delicious:

Full Throttle Construction Hard Hat Tour

I’d also like to thank Tim Burkhart, Sue Carpenter, Connie Lujan, and all the Six Flags employees who made today’s event happen. It was very fun and educational.

1. Paul

02/27/2013 at 7:36 pm

Thanks for posting this. I love the backstage pictures. Best theme park website ever!!!!!!!

02/27/2013 at 8:20 pm

Thank you, Paul! :-)

2. Thrill Capital Insider

02/27/2013 at 7:46 pm

Do you know how long Vertical Construction will take and when the area will come alive?

02/27/2013 at 8:22 pm

He said the track should be complete by the beginning of April. No ETA on when the area will open, but I suspect that it will probably be around late May. There’s a lot of work to be done other than the coaster.

3. Casey

02/27/2013 at 7:47 pm

I’m so glad to see vertical construction starting!!!Did they happen to mention if there were any new flat rides or games coming to the area?And what is a “Full Throttle” theme?YOLO?

• Zach

02/27/2013 at 7:57 pm

The whole YOLO thing is really old and frankly it is pissing me off. That horse has been beaten enough. Can we please put an end to it? Like now?

Full Throttle theme is living life to the fullest in an extreme area. The themed area will come out really nice. No flats are coming to SFMM anytime soon either.

02/27/2013 at 8:18 pm

I never cared much for the whole YOLO theme myself, but it does get tiring when so many people complain about how annoying YOLO is and how some websites have poked so much fun at it. The answer is simple: if YOLO annoys you so much, then stop talking and joking about it. It’ll go away on its own.

02/27/2013 at 8:26 pm

The question was asked about additional flat rides in the area. He said there was easily room for another coaster or water ride up on the hill, but it would be very hard to add a flat ride up there due to the terrain, unless it involved mountain goats. Six Flags Magic Mountain Goats: The Ride? He wouldn’t confirm anything, but I bet we see at least one flat ride in the area at some point. Maybe not right at opening, but in the next year or so.

03/01/2013 at 10:42 pm

Sounds like a flat ride on the hill would be a baa-aaa-aaa-d idea. ;)

• J.D. Walters

03/02/2013 at 12:51 pm

I’d love to see a new water ride or water-coaster go in this area, similar to Cedar Point’s Shoot The Rapids, or even HW’s Pilgrim’s Plunge…

4. Jaryd

02/27/2013 at 7:54 pm

Does the track being done in April seem a little early if the ride won’t open till summer. Just wondering.

02/27/2013 at 8:15 pm

They still have whatever theming and special effects that are going into the tunnel, as well as building the station, queue area, and transfer track. They also have to make sure everything works and test the ride. All of that takes time. But if it’s done early, Full Throttle just might be open by Memorial Day after all.

02/27/2013 at 8:27 pm

Like Eric said, there’s a lot of work to do besides bolting the track together, so their time table sounds realistic.

5. Chris Galindo

02/27/2013 at 7:57 pm

Burkhart said Full Throttle’s new themed area is “Going to be the most heavily themed area we have ever done”. If he’s serious I can’t wait to see how this turns out because DC Universe was themed VERY well…

02/27/2013 at 8:28 pm

As soon as he said that, my very first thought was DC Universe. If they can top that, I think a lot of people will be pleasantly surprised.

• Ryan O

03/06/2013 at 8:03 pm

I was surprised too! That side of the park has always been very generic and needs some more atmosphere.

6. Zach

02/27/2013 at 7:58 pm

Thanks for the update, Kurt. The whole secret for the back of Palace Arcade is interesting. I wonder what they could be doing?

02/27/2013 at 8:29 pm

No idea. I wouldn’t think there would be that much room left once you add two food locations and a retail shop.

7. MC

02/27/2013 at 8:08 pm

Nice … Very nice

02/27/2013 at 8:10 pm

You were at the park at the same time that I was. While you were touring the new Full Throttle area, I was over at Lex Luthor: Drop of Doom. They were shooting a show that will air in the late spring or early summer, called Ride-iculous. Lex Luthor was having problems today so the Travel Channel crew couldn’t get the shots they needed. The trouble was that the catch car wasn’t releasing the car on the west side (facing DC Comics Universe). On each of the four rides that I did get, our car stayed at the top for a minute or two before being manually released.

I was on hand to fill in as an extra to make sure each car was full for the sake of the show. For some of the cast members of the show, it was their first time ever riding Lex Luthor. It’s always fun to watch people take their first ride on it and see their expressions.

The cast and crew are going to resume their work tomorrow, and I was invited to return, but not sure I will. It’s an 80-mile round trip for me, and with gas so expensive, I’m not sure I want to drive it twice. But we’ll see. They did treat us nicely today, providing lunch from Panera Bread. It was my first time eating anything from there, and believe me, that’s good eatin’.

Speaking of good eating, the wings and sauces look very good, and it’s nice to see something different in the park. I wrote a note on your Facebook page about more Full Throttle track sections and supports out in the dirt area beyond the parking lot, but now that you’ve posted this report, I figured you already knew that. I’m happy to see that Full Throttle is going up so soon and so quickly. It looks like it just may be open by Memorial Day after all.

And thank you for getting the track length figure. The mystery is solved! 2200 feet is about how long I’d estimated it to be with the diagram I did a few weeks ago.

02/27/2013 at 8:32 pm

I really wanted to participate in that, but the hard hat tour took priority. From the sounds of it, I’m glad I didn’t. And yes, Panera Bread has great food. Try their Frontega Chicken panini sometime.

02/28/2013 at 11:23 am

If I had to choose between the Travel Channel shoot and the hard hat tour, I’d have chosen the hard hat tour as well.. As you may have heard, they had problems with Lex Luthor and had to cut short their day and resume today, provided they got the problems with Lex Luthor resolved.

• Jerome Weiss

03/12/2013 at 4:39 pm

Eric, I live in Rowland Heights and it’s a drive for me also and I have to fight traffic both ways.

9. JJJ

02/27/2013 at 10:50 pm

Amazed to see track pop up already.

How do the coke freestyle machines work without free refills?

02/28/2013 at 6:57 am

No details on that just yet. They just know they want them because being able to mix your own flavors fits into the Full Throttle lifestyle.

• Zach

02/28/2013 at 8:01 am

At SFNE you just walk up to them and fill up your cup. No one says anything about paying for it.

10. Brendan

02/27/2013 at 11:11 pm

Thanks for the update! Great to see some track starting to go in for this ride. Looking forward to checking out for myself one of these weekends in March. And those wings look absolutely delicious! I will definitely be getting some of those this summer.

11. Brandon

02/28/2013 at 12:02 am

Full Throttle Fries sound like the Mountain’s version of In-n-Out’s Animal Fries.

I’m sure it will be a big seller!

02/28/2013 at 6:56 am

That’s exactly where they said their inspiration came from for those.

12. Mike

02/28/2013 at 2:19 am

This ride is the biggest let down for SFMM since Scream built over a parking lot. Who is making the decisions over there?! The YOLO coaster is becoming such a joke.

02/28/2013 at 6:59 am

The ride hasn’t even been built yet. Why do you think it’s a letdown before ever having ridden it?

• Casey

02/28/2013 at 7:28 am

I beg your pardon,but Scream is one of the best rides at the park!Who cares if they built it in a parking lot?!

• J.D. Walters

03/02/2013 at 12:57 pm

I must admit, Scream is a GREAT ride overall! It’s smooth, I sort of gray-out on the first loop, it has a great drop, etc. I’m confused. However, I’m still praying that Full Throttle packs the much-anticipated punch we’re all hoping for…

13. Michael m

02/28/2013 at 6:23 am

Do you think that some of the new food items will be added to the season dining pass?
    A $140 investment is a lot for a 14 year old.

02/28/2013 at 6:54 am

There are no plans to add the new food offerings to the dining pass, at least not initially. They are focused on getting the menus just right and getting the locations built out. But they are open to the possibility in the future.

What’s $140? The season dining pass is only $99 at SFMM.

14. Michael m

02/28/2013 at 7:11 am

It was 125 plus tax so around 140

03/01/2013 at 8:52 pm

I’m not sure where you’re buying it from, but you’re getting ripped off. It’s only $99 plus tax. If you want to save some money, I’ll gladly sell you one for only $115. If you want to save even more, but it directly from Magic Mountain.

• Michael m

03/01/2013 at 9:07 pm

Oh I bought the hurricane harbor too. Sorry for the confusion

03/01/2013 at 10:58 pm

That’s kind of what I thought when I read that. Also, L.A. County has a pretty high sales tax rate right now—something like 9.75%. The tax rate in my county is “only” 7.50%.

03/01/2013 at 11:25 pm

My bad…I completely forgot about the HH add-on. You are absolutely spot on with the price. If money is tight, just buy the SFMM pass and walk over from HH when you need to grab some food.

• Michael m

03/02/2013 at 6:14 am

I would have never bought it without your reviews and it was worth it. The real problem is trying to get my family from picking food off my plate

15. Eddie

02/28/2013 at 8:51 am

Nice pictures!!! thank you. Did he mention why the six flags website still mentions it being a record breaker when it already has been broken by Gate Keeper at Cedar Point?

02/28/2013 at 9:18 am

I’m not sure what you’re referring to. Cedar Point hasn’t already broken the record, and I doubt any other park will any time soon, if ever. In fact, GateKeeper doesn’t even have a vertical loop. According to Tim Burkhart, a vertical loop is the most difficult inversion to build on a roller coaster because of the power needed to get a fully loaded train all the way through it. At 160′, Full Throttle shatters the previous record held by Superman: Krypton Coaster at Six Flags Fiesta Texas by a whopping 15′. Never before has a vertical loop broken its predecessor’s vertical loop record by such a great amount.

02/28/2013 at 11:28 am

This could be a factor in why the trains hold just 18 people. I never even thought of that. For capacity’s sake, it’s too bad that they can’t run more than two on the course. Full Throttle should have about the same capacity as Xcelerator at Knott’s. Its track length is just two feet longer than Full Throttle, and its trains hold just two more people.

03/01/2013 at 11:35 pm

According to RCDB, Xcelerator has a theoretical capacity of 1,330 PPH, compared to FT’s 800 PPH. I’m sure the two more people per train and roughly 0:28 seconds less per cycle is where Xcelerator gains the advantage.

• Eddie

02/28/2013 at 5:45 pm

Ahh… I guess I missed that part. It says its the tallest looping roller coaster. Gate Keeper has the tallest “inversion” at 164ft.

16. Martin

02/28/2013 at 12:02 pm

Finally, a site dedicated to the Mountain with great updates on what is happening with little to no BASHING. I stopped reading other sites due to constant complaining about the park. If it is that bad DON’T GO.

If Full Throttle is too short…DON’T RIDE IT. I am really looking forward to riding this as the launch alone is going to be quite forceful.

Keep up the great work Kurt as it is nice to see someone giving the Mountain some love to a park I have been going to since 1971.

02/28/2013 at 12:59 pm

Thanks, Martin. I’ll critique if it’s warranted, but bashing doesn’t do anybody any good. No negative energy here.

17. Candice

02/28/2013 at 12:03 pm

Wow! Thanks for the update! I went to SFMM on Sunday and my sister was asking me how in the world they got that huge crane in the park, and now I guess I figured out my answer. That’s insane! I am STOKED for Full Throttle! I was almost able to go on Lex Luthor for the first time on Sunday, but the wind was horrible all day so they had to close it. :(

03/01/2013 at 8:54 pm

I hope you get to ride it on your next visit…it’s fantastic!

18. chilton schilling

02/28/2013 at 12:36 pm

Like always great post. Glad to see it going vertical. Don’t get to go to sfmm very often. Last time I went Lex luthor was under construction and Superman efk was closed. 2 I haven’t been on yet. A possible coaster or water ride huh? The survey may not be about jet stream going down but getting the public’s opinion of what should go in next. I think Jet stream is done high costs to run it. I feel a new water ride coming soon and if I’m following six flags pattern correctly, its gonna be big.

19. chilton schilling

02/28/2013 at 2:11 pm

Hey Kurt I have a quick question. Is this your first time following the construction proccess of a roller coaster? I will admit I have learned a lot following your posts. I was always interested with the construction of a coaster and the proccess it takes. Keep up the great posts. I am really enjoying watching this coaster come together.

02/28/2013 at 2:24 pm

Road Runner Express was my first, followed by Green Lantern. I knew nothing about coaster construction before, but I love to learn new things, so I’ve been educating myself by studying what they’re doing and why. I use this site to help educate others along the way who are as curious as me. That’s why I’m so detailed in what I post. I think most people like it.

• Aaron C

02/28/2013 at 3:32 pm

I found the construction very interesting too. You can see a whole episode from mega builders of the contruction of Tatsu here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Hm4nRzhYi8

Was a great watch.

20. Michael

02/28/2013 at 3:44 pm

Did they mention anything about the new song? Like if it will be played in the area or onboard audio?

• Casey

02/28/2013 at 4:02 pm

Seriously!!!

• Casey

02/28/2013 at 4:02 pm

I hope there is on-board audio.

• Zach

02/28/2013 at 4:30 pm

It will just be played in the area. Six Flags is done with onboard audio.

03/01/2013 at 9:01 pm

No mention of music at all, other than that videos will be playing on the jumbotron in the queue tent. I completely forgot to ask about Airbourne. I agree with Zach in that I hope they’re done trying to do on-board audio. It’s too difficult to maintain on a rough roller coaster and it just lets people down and gives them more to complain about when it’s not working. I’d rather go without and let the ride do all the talking. I did recently hear a rumor that each seat will have an embedded video camera to allow for the purchase of on-ride videos. However, that’s too far fetched for me to believe. If they can’t get people to buy enough on-ride still photos, they’re definitely not going to sell many videos.

21. josh

02/28/2013 at 8:23 pm

Hey Kurt, you mention laying track down the back hill. What do you mean. I thought on the backside of the hill is just the dive loop into the tunnel. From what you’ve seen would you say the video was pretty accurate.

03/01/2013 at 9:02 pm

That’s the track I was referring to. The video is dead on accurate.

22. josh

02/28/2013 at 8:29 pm

OK. The special effect in the tunnel will be a hologram of the other train rolling back, right before impact “full throttle”…….in reverse. Totally made that up but if that’s what happens i said it first.

23. Niko

02/28/2013 at 9:39 pm

One of the comments stated that Full Throttle is two feet shorter in track length than Xcelerator. It’s been a while since I’ve ridden Xcelerator, and from what I remember, it’s relatively short. If this is indeed true, however impressive Full Throttle might be, it might be over and done just like *snaps fingers* that. Whatever the case is, I bet this roller coaster will provide an awesome view of the surrounding area while cresting over that top hat.

• Brendan

03/01/2013 at 5:09 pm

Kurt mentioned in his update that the ride will take approx. 1:20-1:30 minutes to complete it’s course. It will also be something like 10mph slower than Xcelerator.

• Michael M

03/01/2013 at 5:45 pm

Don’t forget that full throttle stops in the tunnel while Xcelerator doesn’t stop until the final break run. Personally I think that the tunnel will make it a more enjoyable ride.

03/01/2013 at 9:15 pm

Let’s put this into perspective. This ride will be more than twice as long (time wise) as Superman, and people line up for hours to ride that. I don’t think it’s a matter of how long a coaster is, but what they do with it in that amount of time that matters. Even short rides can be extremely fun if designed properly.

03/01/2013 at 11:08 pm

The track length comparison was in one of my comments, and I only made it to give a comparison in the amount of track between the two rides. Full Throttle won’t be as fast as Xcelerator, but Full Throttle appears to offer more during its ride—the multiple launches, the special effects, and so on. We’ll just have to wait to ride it and see.

On another note, it’s nice to know that another coaster could fit on the hillside. Perhaps that’s something for a future season.

24. Misael

03/02/2013 at 12:23 am

Do you think that they made enough space to make another coaster in that area?
    In the future, of course?

25. JIMMY TOVAR

03/02/2013 at 7:18 am

Hello there Kurt!
    As always thank you for the post. I just have a couple of questions. How did this hard hat tour came about?
    Also, is what we’ve seen on the video of Full Throttle the whole ride? Breaking after the, “Top Hat” element? Thank you in advance.

03/03/2013 at 8:01 pm

I was contacted by the park with an invitation to attend. Yes, the animated video is pretty much dead on. After going over the top hat, the train hits the final brake run.

• JIMMY TOVAR

03/04/2013 at 6:06 am

Thank you for your time Kurt!

26. jeremy

03/02/2013 at 4:04 pm

This is a really cool post!!..I was wondering if there is any word on the restraints yet? Bar/ over the head? It’s opening in summer right?

03/03/2013 at 8:08 pm

The restraints will be lap bar only. I suspect they’ll be similar to what Superman: Ultimate Flight has at Six Flags Discovery Kingdom. That’s also a newer Premier Rides coaster with inversions. No formal opening date announced yet, but we’re crossing our fingers that it’ll be ready by Memorial Day.

27. Pingback: Full Throttle Construction Article Roundup - The Coaster Guy

28. Pingback: Monorail Returning To Six Flags Magic Mountain - The Coaster Guy

29. Jordon

04/03/2013 at 9:18 pm

What goes into the length of a coaster? Obviously everyone would love as long as possible. . . Is it a money, space, or ride time concern? It seems like they could add more passengers and carts or something to make a longer ride. . . .

04/03/2013 at 9:41 pm

Money, space, and time are considerations. You have a budget you need to remain within and a specific amount of space to work with. Time isn’t as important, but it is a factor. A 5:00 minute ride won’t turn as many people, unless you have six trains, but then you’d need a long track and the price would be high. A 1:00 minute ride turns people quicker, but it’s harder to make it exciting enough to keep interest high.

• Jordon

04/09/2013 at 6:28 pm

I would think at some point in time someone would go all out for a long ride that could still turn enough people. It just seems with all of the capabilities and technology, they could be longer then a minute or so.

30. Pingback: Full Throttle Capacity At Six Flags Magic Mountain - The Coaster Guy