Full Throttle Construction Update #9

By on 03/03/2013

Six Flags Magic Mountain Full Throttle Logo

It’s only been a few days since our hard hat tour of the Full Throttle construction at Six Flags Magic Mountain, but there has been more progress made since then. There were also certain views we couldn’t get while on the tour. This update is from 3 March 2013.

From the Sky Tower, we can see that there is a second, much smaller crane that is being used on the Superman plaza to assist in the construction:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Full Throttle Construction Update

One of the two supports slated for the plaza can easily be seen. I think the one on the other side of the plaza has also been installed, but I couldn’t see it from the air or ground:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Full Throttle Construction Update

Here’s a great shot of the track coming out of the tunnel and starting it’s curve towards the waiting supports that will carry it over the plaza. As discussed during the hard hat tour, the track in the tunnel was installed first and will be built backwards over the plaza. Despite the direction it’s being built, this is where the Full Throttle train will dive into the tunnel:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Full Throttle Construction Update

Here’s an aerial view of the support columns on the front side of the hill that we saw from the hard hat tour. The track will bank hard around the Gold Rusher track and up over the plaza:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Full Throttle Construction Update

Progress is also being made on the loading station. Lots of electrical conduit being laid:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Full Throttle Construction Update

All of the stumps from the trees we saw cut down last week have been removed, as well as all of the other surrounding plants and brush. The park said they were going to preserve the front of the old Log Jammer station to keep the High Sierra Territory theme going once you pass the Full Throttle area. Once this construction wall comes down, there isn’t going to be anything separating the Full Throttle from the High Sierra area. I suspect that we’ll see a new wall or something erected across this area to keep the areas separate:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Full Throttle Construction Update

This is the crane in the Superman plaza, appearing to float while sitting on its support arms:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Full Throttle Construction Update

From the ground, you can see how big that support column really is. We now have a really good sense on just how high the train will be passing over the plaza:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Full Throttle Construction Update

As I was walking down the back path, I started to spot the track that was already extending out of the tunnel. The track looked like it was already pretty high, but check out how much higher the support columns are that it is going to connect to. They’re way up there:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Full Throttle Construction Update

I thought for sure the track was going to extend out and over the back path, but not so:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Full Throttle Construction Update

The two footers installed on the opposite side of the path are for one massive support to carry the load as the train dives through the Immelmann and into the tunnel:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Full Throttle Construction Update

Here’s the track as it enters the tunnel:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Full Throttle Construction Update

It looks like a pretty steep dive into the tunnel, so it’ll probably be a pretty abrupt stop:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Full Throttle Construction Update

As the track enters the tunnel, you’ll notice that the track spine ends. I’m not sure if this would be a normal practice, or if it was needed for clearance purposes inside the tunnel::

Six Flags Magic Mountain Full Throttle Construction Update

They must still be working on the track in the tunnel, because the track hasn’t been fully tightened to the supports, nor the supports to the footers. You’ll also notice that there is no formal “footer” once you get into the tunnel. I explained why in the hard hat tour writeup:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Full Throttle Construction Update

It was nice of Premier Rides to put arrows on the track pieces to help the installers out:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Full Throttle Construction Update

This will be your view as you’re walking up the back path next to Gold Rusher:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Full Throttle Construction Update

I was surprised to see the track sticking up on the horizon when I was on the backside of the park. As more track goes in, including the vertical loop, it should become more prominent:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Full Throttle Construction Update

You can also see some track extend out of the front of the tunnel. I’m not sure if there is an issue or not, but you’ll notice the front of the track being supported by wood blocks with the other connection point floating several inches above the footer. This might be part of why we saw the track in the back of the tunnel not bolted down yet:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Full Throttle Construction Update

As mentioned above, lots of electrical conduit going in for the loading/launch station:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Full Throttle Construction Update

The old Log Jammer pump house is getting sealed up with a front wall and door:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Full Throttle Construction Update

Now that we’re starting to see the track go in, is everyone starting to get a little more excited?

1. Dylan

03/03/2013 at 4:27 pm

So excited, it going so quick. A lot faster than I expected. I’m going in two weeks so I wonder what it will look like then

2. Pingback: Full Throttle Construction Article Roundup - The Coaster Guy

3. Justin

03/03/2013 at 4:51 pm

I think they haven’t bolted down the track in the tunnel yet, because they will need to install the LSMs and the brakes. It might be easier for them to install them without the track bolted all they way down. That is just my opinion.

03/03/2013 at 7:30 pm

That’s very logical and exactly what I was thinking as well.

4. Looper

03/03/2013 at 5:28 pm

Just saw that drop in first hand where it heads into tunnel and makes it a no brainier for me to remain at Cyber Cafe on terra firma with a dbl mocha latte and a bacon-bacon-bacon funnel cake.

03/03/2013 at 8:11 pm

Mmmmmm…funnel cake! That sounds good, too. 😉

5. Robert

03/03/2013 at 5:32 pm

Great update!!! and yes now that I see vertical I’m much more excited for Full throttle

They are wasting no time now, they continue at that pace this thing will be up in no time at all.

The track on the blocks is odd hopefully it’s nothing too major looks like the height of the supports or the height of the footers my be off

6. Michael M

03/03/2013 at 5:56 pm

Hi coaster guy! I was at the park today and found out some interesting facts about the old flashback area and the metro. I was standing there waiting for ther rest I my party and an older employe approached me asking if I was lost but I asked her some questions. They are planning to completely remove the metro in the next couple of years. In flashbacks old spot, they are going to build a new kiddie ride and connect it to bugs bunny world. It will be a step up from roadrunner express. Also they finally got the onride audio working on x2. I think they are just testing for the summer. Thank you for the updates!!!

• jordan

03/03/2013 at 7:07 pm

I dont think it will be a flat ride, Most people are expecting flashbacks old spot to be used for a SFHH expansion, as they are LONG overdue for something new.. Seems like they are not interested in the family aspect.

03/03/2013 at 7:36 pm

I have to agree with Jordan on this one. A big reason they got rid of Flashback was that it was too close to HH and it created too much noise for the lifeguards to safely do their duty. Adding another ride designed for screaming kids doesn’t make any sense. Besides, they already have a step up from RRE and it’s called Gold Rusher. I’ve also heard the rumors of using this space to expand HH and that seems much more likely in my opinion.

• Michael M

03/03/2013 at 7:56 pm

I looked at google maps and basically the area where flashback was is the backside of a pool if it was an expansion it would definitely be an interesting one. Oh and they really need to replace the flag on the sky tower. It is very tattered and needs new flags like the front of the park

• Ronald

03/07/2013 at 9:55 pm

Hate to disappoint everyone, but the old Flashback spot is being used for HH expansion. You have to talk to the executives, not the park employees.

03/03/2013 at 8:33 pm

To be honest, it doesn’t make much sense to me to add a Bugs Bunny World type ride so far from Bugs Bunny World. Even a grown-up style flat ride wouldn’t work out because of the noise factor. Once the Metro area is completely cleaned up, it would make sense to add that acreage to Hurricane Harbor.

7. JJJ

03/03/2013 at 6:02 pm

Wow thats a very steep drop into the tunnel

03/03/2013 at 6:32 pm

That’s steeper than I imagined it. And it’s going to quite an abrupt stop inside the tunnel, too. I also have a feeling that the backwards launch is going to have quite a kick to it to get the train up the dive loop (as shown in the video).

Premier has never failed to deliver in the past (that I know of, anyway), so perhaps the short track length will be more than made up for in the thrill and intensity department.

03/03/2013 at 6:52 pm

Full Throttle isn’t the only coaster with changes to its track structure. Take a look here at Xcelerator’s track as it slopes down toward the brakes. (This is from Google Maps street view looking into the park from La Palma Ave.) In Full Throttle’s case, it does appear to be a clearance issue with the track needing to be so close to the bottom of the tunnel. The thick spine also offers structural support to track that is high in the air and/or spans a great distance between supports.

03/03/2013 at 7:38 pm

Interesting. Thanks, Eric.

• Michael m

03/08/2013 at 5:58 am

That type of track ,without the spine, is used for brakes, launches, etc. If they didn’t the spine would interfere with it.

9. zac

03/03/2013 at 7:22 pm

i wonder if the tunnel effects are also a reason way the track hasn’t been bolted. im so stoked for this ride now! it looks way more intense now that its actually coming to life

03/03/2013 at 7:43 pm

I doubt it. I’m sure the special effects will be all around the coaster, but won’t actually touch or have any interference with the train or track in any way. Along those lines, I have been wondering about the possibility that they’ll use the tunnel for the on-ride photography system. Make us gasp with the special effect then snap our pic. Thoughts?

• zac

03/03/2013 at 8:17 pm

you think they will use mist again, like in apocalypse? the video just kind of shows a fog like substance. hmmmm, the on-ride photo im not so sure about, because if they did decide to have video cameras on the ride I don’t think they would put two photo catchers.

03/04/2013 at 10:26 am

I’m thinking more along the lines of lights and music for the special effects.

10. Dane P

03/03/2013 at 7:50 pm

How many pieces do you think the loop will come in. Not counting the supports.

03/03/2013 at 8:09 pm

I honestly have no idea. Never even thought about.

11. Casey

03/03/2013 at 8:02 pm

It took my breath away when I saw the track coming out of the tunnel!I’m soooooooooooo excited!!!I’m probably going for the opening too!!!WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO,FULL THROTTLE!!!!!!!!!!!

12. chilton schilling

03/03/2013 at 8:30 pm

I noticed the track Bioengineering helled up by the wood doesn’t have a spine. Maybe that’s where the spine will be put back in to place. It looks like if they put the spine back in right there it would fit perfect

13. chilton schilling

03/03/2013 at 8:36 pm

After comparing to where the spine ends, maybe not. Though I’m sure its not an issue. Probably a part they can’t install untilled they install something else.

14. chilton schilling

03/03/2013 at 8:38 pm

Bioengineering? What did my phones spell check do there? I meant bieng.

03/03/2013 at 9:21 pm

Or “being?” 😉

03/03/2013 at 9:21 pm

The more I look at how this is going together, the more I like the color scheme of the track. It isn’t garish and doesn’t stand out: it really fits into the surrounding terrain. I will admit that I had some doubts about this project, but I think it’s going to work out after all—especially when they add any new attractions in the years to come.

03/09/2013 at 8:34 pm

I can say that the track that goes up and over the Superman plaza can be seen from the freeway as I drive by each day and it’s very shiny. The loop is going to look amazing.

16. mark

03/03/2013 at 10:05 pm

I hope they can capture some of the energy (regenerative braking?) when they stop the train in the tunnel before launching it backwards.

It wouldn’t surprise me if in a few years they drop the “stop” part of the ride and just use the tunnel to speed it up forwards.

03/09/2013 at 8:40 pm

It would surprise me. That would mean removing, or at least ceasing to use whatever special effects they are putting in the tunnel. That, combined with the “triple launch” feature, is supposed to help feed the whole Full Throttle area vibe. It would also cause longer stacking times back at the station. With a 1:20 minute ride time while using the tunnel, I think they’re already going to have a challenge dispatching the second train before the first one gets back to the station.

17. chilton schilling

03/04/2013 at 6:35 am

Thats probably why my phone did that. It is being. English wasn’t my strong subject in high school. Math was. My math teachers hated me for not doing my homework but acing the tests. Besides from going off topic, this coaster is coming along great and very fast. Can’t wait to see next weeks progress. Don’t know about there but in Fresno we are expecting some rain this Wednesday Thursday and Friday according to the weather app on my phone.

18. chilton schilling

03/04/2013 at 9:17 am

Any idea if Superman will be closed while they are building the track over the pathway?

03/04/2013 at 10:24 am

I apologize for not specifically calling it out, but I assumed it was obvious from the pictures. Superman is already closed due to the construction and will remain closed at least until the overhead track is complete. No idea yet if it will reopen once the track work is done or if we’ll have to wait for FT to open.

19. Dieter

03/04/2013 at 10:05 am

I will visite SFMM for the second time on april 8th! I was wondering, cause we really wanna do all the rides:

Which flashpass should we order? Golden seems the best (price/time)…
    Don’t know if monday,april 8th is a holiday (probably springbreak?) in the US…will there be big crowds?

Thanks in advance & greetings from Belgium! Love the updates

ps: I presume Full Throttle won’t be ready by then 😀

03/04/2013 at 10:34 am

At one time, spring break was the week before Easter, meaning that this year, it would be March 25-March 29. However, in recent years, spring break is all over the place on the calendar—for several weeks before and after Easter Sunday. It all depends on which school district you’re in. You may not even need a Flash Pass when you go. A good way to tell is by how full the parking lot is and how many people are there when you arrive. If it feels really crowded, get the pass for your group. If not, then save your money. And I would guess that despite its quick track installation, Full Throttle won’t be open till Memorial Day at the earliest.

• Dieter

03/05/2013 at 7:31 am

Thanks alot!

03/09/2013 at 8:45 pm

I agree with everything that Eric said. One additional comment – if you do end up getting a Flash Pass, I recommend the Gold. However, if you’re interested in riding X2, make sure you’re there early so you’re in the front of the line when the gates open and then head straight to X2. The Flash Passes don’t cover X2 without paying a premium. If you’re one of the first people in the park and you head straight to X2, you won’t need the add-on. If you are using the Gold Pass entrance, you’ll get into the park even sooner.

20. Andrue Valles

03/04/2013 at 3:12 pm

omg omg omg omg omg omg!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! its so exciting to see this go vertical! i am definately
    getting my mother/father to take me on opening day!!!!!!

03/04/2013 at 8:17 pm

Just thought of something else…where the track goes over the Superman plaza, I will guess that there will be netting or something that will catch any falling objects. While I haven’t been there, I have seen pictures of Goliath at Six Flags Over Georgia, and it has some sort of barrier where the track goes over a place where people may walk.

03/09/2013 at 8:46 pm

I really hope it doesn’t. I like the way it looks now.

• bejammin

03/10/2013 at 10:51 am

I dought they will put up any netting above the plaza and the reasoning behind that is this part of the ride is after the loop. The idea behind that is the fact if someone is going to lose something it will happen the first time they go upside down. A good example of this is bateman, you don’t see many lost articles in the ride area and the part of the first loop is behind a wall not visible by folks in line.

22. Looper

03/04/2013 at 10:59 pm

I’m sure the WB Kids club is history from former location but sure hope they don’t forget the young future coaster enthuesist with some type of Daffy & Bugs show be it on that stage in Bugs B World.

03/09/2013 at 8:50 pm

I believe you’re referring to the Carrot Club Theater in Bugs Bunny World and I completely agree with you. I’d be really surprised if they didn’t start using this stage for more of the kids shows in the upcoming season now that the WB Kids Club is gone.

23. joshi_6411

03/09/2013 at 11:37 am

dude i love your updates, more informative then other websites. you got me hooked, cant wait for the next update c: