Full Throttle Construction Update #10

By on 03/10/2013

Six Flags Magic Mountain Full Throttle Logo

Earlier this week, Premier Rides had posted a picture of the Full Throttle roller coaster track going up and over the Superman plaza at Six Flags Magic Mountain. After seeing that, I was very excited to get into the park this weekend and see it for myself. This Full Throttle construction update is from Sunday, March 10th.

The first thing I noticed when I entered the park today was that the giant construction crane had been moved. The park already said that once they were done installing the track over the plaza, they would move it to a lower spot on the hill and finish the build from there. As you can see, there is now a shiny white roller coaster track snaking up and over the plaza:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Full Throttle Construction Update

It appears to be much lower than people were expecting, but it does make a nice turn and dive right into the tunnel, which is exactly what we were expecting:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Full Throttle Construction Update

From this angle, it almost looks like it merges into and becomes the Gold Rusher track:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Full Throttle Construction Update

Other than the columns for the launch track, there doesn’t appear to be much new with the loading station area. You can see all the standing water from the rains we had a couple of days ago. Once the crane was moved, the plan was to install the track around the loading station so they could start building that up while the crane starts to work on the loop:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Full Throttle Construction Update

Here is where the crane was moved to:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Full Throttle Construction Update

These are the supports for the loading/launch track, right out of the station:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Full Throttle Construction Update

The two ends of the track that has been installed so far really aren’t that far from each other:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Full Throttle Construction Update

Since there has been so much talk about how low the track is the the plaza, here is a perspective shot of me standing underneath it. I’m 6’1″. If I were standing up against the blue rail, the track (closest rail) would be about 10′ up. It’s not close enough to hit anyone, but it’s still too close for safety purposes. It’ll be interesting to see how the park deals with this:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Full Throttle Construction Update

The support columns here are low enough that someone could probably easily shimmy up it, so I suspect Magic Mountain will extend the fence around this area:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Full Throttle Construction Update

Premier Rides does not mess around with how many bolts they use to secure track pieces:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Full Throttle Construction Update

This is where the track swings up and over the plaza once it comes out of the vertical loop.It almost looks like some sort of ski jump right now:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Full Throttle Construction Update

All of the wood planks have been removed from where the crane was sitting:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Full Throttle Construction Update

This is the path the track takes as it passes over the Superman plaza:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Full Throttle Construction Update

It enters the plaza with a left bank, rolls to the right, and then dives into the tunnel:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Full Throttle Construction Update

It looks to be a pretty rapid roll to the right, given how fast the train will be moving:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Full Throttle Construction Update

Here’s the entire path of the track over the plaza, as seen from the back side:

The track appears to be around 20-25′ up off the ground at the second column:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Full Throttle Construction Update

After the roll to the right, it’s a very quick dive and drop into the tunnel:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Full Throttle Construction Update

This shot was taken while standing directly over the top of the tunnel entrance. This should make for an interesting visual when the train is launched out of the tunnel backwards:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Full Throttle Construction Update

Here’s the same dive element as seen from the front side:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Full Throttle Construction Update

This is the same element taken from the path on the back hill, next to the tunnel:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Full Throttle Construction Update

My attempt at some sort of artistic shot with the sun behind the support columns:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Full Throttle Construction Update

The park has planted several new trees on the back hill. Over time, this will be very interesting as the trees mature and the track disappears into them through this dive:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Full Throttle Construction Update

When I was up in the Sky Tower, I noticed that some of the “dual-sided” vertical loop track pieces had arrived. As I was leaving for the day, I swung by the far side of the parking lot and snapped a couple of shots. Here’s one of the two pieces:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Full Throttle Construction

Premier Rides’ unique track design almost seems as if it was created with this purpose in mind. Here’s a close-up of the end showing how natural it looks with rails on both sides:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Full Throttle Construction

So, you have to be getting a little excited now, right?

1. Evan

03/10/2013 at 7:41 pm

Wow, This thing looks sexy.

2. Evan

03/10/2013 at 7:47 pm

I’ve been waiting for this post since I saw Premier’s photos. Thanks Kurt!

3. Brendan

03/10/2013 at 7:52 pm

That one picture you took looking from the Superman entrance to the tower, it was sort of a wide shot, looks fantastic! I love the way it sweeps over the plaza leading into the tunnel. I can’t wait to get pictures of the train zooming by overhead!

03/11/2013 at 9:23 pm

Yah, it’s going to look very cool!

4. Michael mountain

03/10/2013 at 7:53 pm

I really hope they don’t add a net over the plaza. It would ruin the superman logo

03/11/2013 at 9:24 pm

Not only the logo. It would ruin the clean lines of the track itself!

5. Michael mountain

03/10/2013 at 7:56 pm

I wonder why the track changes over where the crane sat

03/11/2013 at 9:28 pm

What do you mean…changes how?

• Michael M

03/12/2013 at 6:31 am

The spine changes from oval to circular

03/12/2013 at 11:47 pm

The spine (or lack of one) varies depending on the load that will be put onto that section of track. Also, in order to span great distances (like across the Superman plaza), a heavier spine is needed. That’s it in a nutshell.

And, Premier isn’t the only manufacturer that does that. On some Vekoma rides, there is a double spine in some spots. Intamin changes its track from having no spine to having an open structure with a triangular or square cross section to it—very likely for the same reason I gave above.

• Nathan

03/16/2013 at 7:18 pm

And on B&M mega coasters like Leviathan, the spine thickness changes depending on stress levels like at the bottom of a 305 foot drop.

03/10/2013 at 8:09 pm

The Roller Coaster Database says that Full Throttle is going to have two inversions, but I guess for some people in the back of the train, it’s going to have three.

Full Throttle may only have 2200 feet of track, but what it does with that 2200 feet is really what matters. And it looks like this is going to be better than we thought.

03/10/2013 at 8:10 pm

Here’s a direct link to the Full Throttle page that I should have used in my first post: Full Throttle stats and pictures.

• Sean

03/10/2013 at 8:17 pm

Eric, I totally agree, at first I was really excited because of the rumors, then the announcement seemed a bit dissapointing, but still great (don’t get me wrong). But now I see it all come together, as I was in the park today, and what I’ve seen in the Coasterguy’s updates, and hardhat tour, I’m getting overly excited! Thanks Coasterguy for all the time you put into this!

03/11/2013 at 9:29 pm

It really depends on how far back that second launch is going to send the train. We won’t know until we see it in action.

7. josh

03/10/2013 at 8:10 pm

Awesome! Looks so good going over the plaza. Full throttle is gonna be awesome. Short but sweet.

8. Michael m

03/10/2013 at 8:19 pm

Hi coaster guy did they mention in the hard hat tour if they were going to relandscape the front part of the hill. Thankyou and amazing update

03/11/2013 at 9:31 pm

I would be absolutely amazed if they didn’t. Since they’ve already replanted trees on the back hill, I think it’s a safe bet the front of the hill will get a beautiful landscaping makeover, especially knowing how upset some people were about them ripping everything out to build this ride.

9. Bob winek

03/10/2013 at 8:48 pm

Thx for the update
    I couldn’t tell but was superman open today

• Andrew

03/10/2013 at 9:38 pm

10. Casey

03/10/2013 at 8:57 pm

This ride is really coming together! I really want to know what the fx are going to be in the tunnel though!!!

11. Pingback: Full Throttle Construction Article Roundup - The Coaster Guy

12. Rusty

03/10/2013 at 9:25 pm

I think this coaster may ironically turn out to be one of the best in the park haha!

03/11/2013 at 9:33 pm

I think it will be very popular. I’m thinking of it as a modern day version of Revolution.

13. JJJ

03/10/2013 at 9:38 pm

This coaster is going to offer some very popular photo ops.

I love how they wasted no time planting trees. The vegetation is one of the best aspects of the park, and usually its the very last thing to go in, many times after construction has ended and the attraction has opened. Planting now was a great move.

03/11/2013 at 9:33 pm

Agreed.

14. Dane P

03/10/2013 at 10:37 pm

This is going to be a beautiful coaster, and I love the speed that they’re putting it up at. When I went last year I went literally 7 days before Lex Luther opened because they were behind scheduel, but I think they will make it this year!!!

03/11/2013 at 9:35 pm

I don’t see how they could possibly not “make it this year” considering that there isn’t a target date that’s been made public yet. 😉

15. Thrill Capital Insider

03/10/2013 at 11:04 pm

Thank you kurt for this amazing update! I appreciate it that there isnt only me doing SFMM updates! I love the pictures!

16. Andrue Valles

03/10/2013 at 11:26 pm

I am almost crying Because of this

• Casey

03/11/2013 at 3:49 pm

Me too!!!

17. Arkhamar

03/10/2013 at 11:55 pm

Thank you Coaster Guy for sharing your trips to SFMM. The updates with photos and commentaries are superb and richly informative. I look forward to more updates of Full Throttle, especially the loop, station, theming, and testing! I am so stoked to have renewed my season pass, I can hardly control my enthusiasm! Man, we got it so good here in SoCal!

03/11/2013 at 9:39 pm

We do have it good in SoCal. I think we’re very fortunate to have the collection of coasters we have at SFMM, not to mention the attractions at the other world-class parks in the area, and the amazing year round weather, but I’m still very jealous of people who live close to other parks around the county. It’s all relative to where you live.

03/11/2013 at 12:40 am

How much more track do you think will need to come, or does it appear like it’s all here? I’m wondering if they’re going to install the electronics/sound effects/braking and LSM launch systems in the tunnel before building the loop? That way, that part of construction will be done before the loop goes up. Eh, they know what they’re doing. Everything will work out just fine.

03/11/2013 at 8:36 am

I’m thinking it’s close to all being here. All they really have left is the station track, loop, and final brake run.

• Michael m

03/11/2013 at 6:56 pm

Sorry to bug but are those the only double sided pieces on the loop

03/11/2013 at 9:40 pm

I only saw two pieces. I’m not sure how many unique pieces like that there will actually be since it’s really only the very top of the loop that needs them.

19. Misael

03/11/2013 at 10:04 am

Great Update, was looking forward to it all week, can’t wait for next week’s update.
    Any speculation on the Exact day their deadline is to finish up this beast?

• Looper

03/11/2013 at 10:33 am

Looks like temperatures are in the 80’s for the next 10 days so i bet serious build going on for sure.

03/11/2013 at 9:41 pm

No idea what so ever.

20. chilton schilling

03/11/2013 at 11:43 am

When other Parks start adding forward and reverse launches, and top hats to their loops, we all know who did it first. SFMM. can’t wait to get on this ride. I’m usually a front seat Guy but I think the back is the place to be to get that 3rd inversion.

21. Casey

03/11/2013 at 3:55 pm

How will there be a third inversion?Doesn’t everything that happens in the front happen in the back too?!

• Alex

03/11/2013 at 4:38 pm

What Chilton is trying to say is that the last few cars will twist back almost upside down after the backwards launch…

• Casey

03/12/2013 at 3:46 pm

Oh!Gotcha…

22. XYZ

03/11/2013 at 4:48 pm

I think I saw you taking photos of the Full Throttle track in the Superman plaza. I was that person next to you talking to my father. I should’ve said hi, but I didn’t know if that was you. Anyways, I’m a long time reader of your updates, keep up the great work!

03/11/2013 at 9:45 pm

Please be sure to say Hi next time. I love meeting readers of this site in person. I met a guy from Oregon while waiting in line the other day who was very familiar with this site. In fact, he quoted some information to me from here while we were talking before I told him who I was. Talk about being flattered!

• J.D. Walters

03/12/2013 at 10:42 pm

You may need to wear a shirt, a hat, or even a name tag identifying you, so that when we actually do spot you, we can go up and say hello to you! Ha! 😉

• AvgCoaster

03/13/2013 at 10:32 pm

Coaster guy t-shirts, i’d buy one.

03/13/2013 at 11:11 pm

It’s funny you should mention that. Keep your eyes on the site the next couple of weeks. 😉

23. Rich

03/11/2013 at 5:09 pm

Here’s a question for you: I’ve heard that because of the steep angle of the track leading into the tunnel, possibly in the future, the backwards launch might be removed. What are your thoughts about this?

Also, just started reading your site, and I must say that I love you…r site!

03/11/2013 at 5:25 pm

I don’t buy it one bit. That’s one of the two major elements that makes this ride unique. They will not get rid of it.

• Nathan

03/16/2013 at 7:00 pm

the LSM’s need to be warmed up first. they are NOT taking the backwards launch out. There wouldn’t bee enough speed to get over the top hat, unless they don’t stop the train and launch it again.

24. Michaelochs

03/11/2013 at 5:26 pm

I love all these updates i couldn’t wait for the new update so i’m glad its out, also i’m super excited for full throttle, i mean they are doing the construction fast and everything looks so beautiful thankyou for doing all of these updates, now to get my dad to buy me a new season pass. 🙂

25. dylan

03/11/2013 at 7:22 pm

my uncle works for the park, and i got to go inside the tunnel last Saturday, you don’t realize how big the track is till you get right next to it. =)

03/11/2013 at 9:47 pm

Send me some pics next time you have unique backstage access and I’ll post them, with credit to you. We all love seeing stuff like that.

26. Andy

03/12/2013 at 10:23 am

I use to work at six flags and a friend that still works there told me the trains have also just arrived and are at the mechanics hangar being assemble. Who knew u had to assemble it

27. Jarret

03/12/2013 at 3:39 pm

I think its very interesting that the bolts have a synthetic coating around them. These features are very prominent in earthquake proofing to allow for movement or absorbing forces. Is Magic Mountain on a fault line or is it just safety concerns?

• Casey

03/12/2013 at 3:52 pm

Magic Mountain is right on top of the San Andreas Fault,so a major earthquake would probably be devastating to the park. Thank god for earthquake proofing,right?

03/12/2013 at 3:57 pm

Not quite. The San Andreas fault is several miles north of here, right next to Palmdale. However, there are many fault lines that criss-cross this entire region.

• Alex

03/13/2013 at 4:56 pm

The famous Northridge earthquake of ’94 was a 6.8 major quake that was located only 30 mins from Magic Mountin. The earthquake hit at 4:31 am Monday morning and the park opened with everything working (except psyclone, which honestly needed an earthquake to prompt a proper re-track) on Wednesday, less then 48 hours after the initial shake. Pretty darn good if you ask me. I’m not too worried about scrutures and earthquakes after that… I was 12 years old when it happened and still to this day am shocked at how quick and painful the recovery was for six flags. Amazing.

28. Bob winek

03/12/2013 at 3:43 pm

When it’s all said and done will they plant grass around the columns and stuff and not leave it just dirt

03/12/2013 at 3:57 pm

No idea.

• Justin

03/12/2013 at 4:03 pm

Hopefully they will plant new grass around the ride. I really hope they do but in the past they have not been the best with making the ground around a coaster nice. An example of that would be Scream! or as I call it Parking Lot: The Ride. So let’s hope that Full Throttle doesn’t turn into Dirt Track: The Ride.

• Michael m

03/12/2013 at 4:45 pm

Tastu wasn’t relandscaped

• Justin

03/12/2013 at 6:07 pm

That is true, but you spend the majority of Tatsu over 100 feet so it isn’t as noticeable as being 10-20 feet off the ground.

• Michael m

03/12/2013 at 6:25 pm

True

29. Julien D.

03/12/2013 at 8:19 pm

First of All, A Big Thank you for the Hard Work of keeping me Updated while i Didnt Have a Membership, And I Was there Last Sunday, and all i can say is WOW, Alot is being done FAST. All im Wondering is, Where are the Brakes/ Reverse Launch System for the Tunnel? Expect for me to Run Into you Coaster Guy, Im Going to Make More Visits Just For the Construction, Very Often. Once Again Thanks for All The Hard Work.
    -Julien D, Palmdale.

03/13/2013 at 8:18 am

The tunnel track still hasn’t been bolted down yet, so I imagine all those pieces are on their way.

30. J.D. Walters

03/12/2013 at 10:45 pm

GREAT UPDATE!!! Thanks, Kurt!

03/12/2013 at 11:43 pm

Want to see where they made Full Throttle’s track? Utah! Click this link and zoom/pan as necessary. Intermountain Lift Inc. Look for blue track in the left side of the yard.

03/13/2013 at 7:04 am

What makes you think that’s the Full Throttle track? I thought Premier Rides used a manufacturing plant close to their headquarters in Baltimore?

03/14/2013 at 11:27 am

The track in the yard isn’t Full Throttle’s track. I was just posting an aerial view of the Intermountain Lift facility, being that it had been mentioned here as a manufacturer of some of Premier Rides’ coasters.

32. Sid

03/13/2013 at 2:17 am

Intermountain Lift, Inc., has fabricated components for S&S Power, Arrow Dynamics, Chance Rides, Disney, Universal, and Lagoon as well as Premier Rides. Lagoon selected Intermountain Lift to fabricate all of the uprights and track for their family coaster Bombora. They are also doing some work on the track for Fire Dragon at Lagoon currently. The blue track in the yard would be Sky Rocket and the black for Universal Singapore’s Mummy Coaster.

33. dylan

03/14/2013 at 12:51 am

i wonder hol much they will have done by this sateryday?

34. Nathan

03/16/2013 at 6:56 pm

This looks so cool. It’s fun to see all the construction updates, and yours are the best. The part where the coaster goes over Superman Plaza looks really cool. How long is the tunnel? I honestly think that the train won’t make it over the top hat, even with the LSM’s warmed up from the backwards launch. IDK. The tunnel seems too short.

03/16/2013 at 7:12 pm

Don’t forget that the tunnel is considerably higher than the station, so the train coming out of the tunnel doesn’t have to clear a 160′ loop like the initial launch does. It only needs to go up 70-100′ to get over the top hat, which should be easy.

• Nathan

03/16/2013 at 7:19 pm

ohhh ok. In that case, your right. My bad.

• Justin

03/16/2013 at 9:20 pm

What do you think would happen if there ever was a rollback. What would the park/ ride-ops do?

• Zach

03/17/2013 at 12:57 pm

They would let it roll back into the tunnel, have it launch backwards again, and have it launch forwards at a faster launch.

They can’t launch the second train until the first train clears the top hat, so there is nothing to worry about.

35. Dylan

03/17/2013 at 4:10 pm

How often do you think full throttle will roll back?

03/17/2013 at 9:35 pm

Not very often, if ever.