Full Throttle Construction Update #11

By on 03/17/2013

Six Flags Magic Mountain Full Throttle Logo

It’s only been a week since my last Full Throttle construction update from Six Flags Magic Mountain, but things always appear to start moving faster once vertical construction starts. This update is from 17 March 2013.

From the Sky Tower, you can see that many more support columns have been installed. The row on the left is the launch out of the station into the loop, and the row on the right is the brake run as you drop down off the loop. You can also see several track pieces lying off to the side, waiting to be installed:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Full Throttle Construction Update

You can now see where and how the track will turn from the final brake run into the station:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Full Throttle Construction Update

The concrete foundation has been poured for the loading station. I suspect that the section down the left will be a ramp up where we enter from:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Full Throttle Construction Update

From the ground, you can see that the station foundation is fairly thick:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Full Throttle Construction Update

Both the transfer track and a section of storage track have already been installed:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Full Throttle Construction Update

This is the transfer track, as seen from the ground:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Full Throttle Construction Update

The blue pieces you see above look like the electric motors that drive the transfer track:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Full Throttle Construction Update

With no possibility of ever running more than two trains, this is the only storage track:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Full Throttle Construction Update

Look how close the track will come to the old Log Jammer station as it turns into the station:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Full Throttle Construction Update

Further up the hill, they have been busy adding the last couple of footers. This is where the large crane had been sitting, so they obviously couldn’t put them in until it was moved:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Full Throttle Construction Update

As the train comes out of the vertical loop, it will make a hard right turn and transition into the existing track that goes up and over the Superman plaza:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Full Throttle Construction Update

A “hard right turn” might be a bit of an understatement. The train will be going extremely fast coming out of the loop and as you can see by the mounting positions in the following support columns, the track itself looks like it will be close to vertical as it rounds this corner:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Full Throttle Construction Update

These are some of those track pieces that we saw from above that are ready to be installed:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Full Throttle Construction Update

That’s it for this week. Next weekend is opening weekend for Six Flags Magic Mountain, which is when they resume daily operations. So after next week, I might be able to start making some weekday visits and see some construction in action.

1. Pingback: Full Throttle Construction Article Roundup - The Coaster Guy

2. steve austin

03/17/2013 at 4:32 pm

I’m guessing that those last footers that were poured are for the largest of the support columns for the loop?

03/17/2013 at 8:55 pm

If you’re referring to the ones where the crane was sitting, I believe those are just for the rest of the track as it completes the sharp right turn after the loop. If you look in the very first photo, you’ll see a couple of unused footers in the lower left corner. I think those are for the large loop support columns.

3. Michael m

03/17/2013 at 4:32 pm

Great update! I see they have started the supports for the loop. Will a building be built around the transfer track? Also will the queue pathway go under the track in the area used for the crane to be moved? Still sad about the laughing dragon pizza place not being reused, looks like it would’ve made a great view.

03/17/2013 at 4:43 pm

Seems like Laughing Dragon has become a venue for VIPs and such. They had it open in 2010 for Superman: Escape From Krypton’s media day. That was the last time I was in there. They served us Papa John’s pizza.

This ride is really coming together, and I can’t wait to see the loop go up. That’s going to be one tall loop—and a huge one at that! That hard right turn out of the loop is going to give us some good positive g forces, especially if it’s banked to 90° or almost that. With all of the left and right banking on this ride, we’re going to be thankful that there’s only a lap bar with nothing up by our heads.

Thank you, Kurt, for another great update. Whenever you are able to make a mid-week visit, let me know in advance if you can. Until I can return to the workforce, I’m usually free.

• Michael m

03/17/2013 at 4:50 pm

I’ve been reading some old articles and have realized that you,Eric ,have provided some excellent info. about the history of the park. Only being 14 I have not been able to see a great deal of the park. My earliest ride being free fall in circa 2005. Thank you Eric for contributing to this amazing website. I look forward to more history!!!

03/17/2013 at 5:47 pm

Thanks, Michael. I’m 53 and have visited Magic Mountain each and every year since it opened in 1971. I keep a running log as to what changes or is added each year. If there was a way to attach it to this site, I’d do so for everyone’s benefit. It’s not perfect, but it’s pretty close. Because I grew up with Magic Mountain, it’s one of my favorite parks despite the bashing it gets from so many people. Sure, it could be better, and I hope Six Flags realizes what a gem they could have. But despite its flaws, I like it anyway.

• Dane P

03/17/2013 at 5:56 pm

I’ve been to a fex sixflags parks including sixflags over texas and astroland when it used to exist. I honestly find that this is the best one.

03/17/2013 at 9:03 pm

I’m not sure if there will be a building over the transfer track or not. I’m not seeing any prep work for it, so maybe not. The queue path will go under the track, between the station and the loop, so just a little to the right of that path.

03/17/2013 at 11:17 pm

Gold Rusher, Revolution, Colossus, Ninja, and Viper don’t have covers. Note, however, that those are the oldest coasters in the park. It seems that the newer coasters have them. We’ll have to wait and see with Full Throttle.

4. Michaelochs

03/17/2013 at 4:46 pm

Awesome looks like they might start putting the loop together, can’t wait for that update, anyway thankyou for all these updates.

5. Dylan

03/17/2013 at 6:01 pm

Wow it’s going really fast, I wonder where the entrance, exit and line will be?

• Nathan

03/17/2013 at 8:21 pm

Probably some switchbacks and the Entrance and Exit will be around those blue fences in picture 1.

03/17/2013 at 9:08 pm

Nope, that will be sealed off to maintain a separation between the Full Throttle area and the High Sierra Territory area.

03/17/2013 at 9:06 pm

The entrance is going to be a large tent-like structure in the Full Throttle plaza, which will be the entire area in front of the old Palace Games building. That queue will then feed out the back, under the track, and up into the loading station on the other side. I haven’t heard the plans for the exit yet.

03/19/2013 at 11:41 am

Gift shop. 😉

6. Dylan

03/17/2013 at 6:03 pm

I wonder how often it will roll back? What do you guys think?

• Nathan

03/17/2013 at 8:18 pm

I don’t think it will rollback that much or not at all. Superman Ultimate Flight at SFDK hasn’t rolled back yet, i don’t think. Even Maverick has only rolled back a few times. LSM’s are generally reliable

• Justin

03/17/2013 at 8:42 pm

I haven’t heard anything about Superman Ultimate Flight rolling back at all, but it did get stuck at the top for a couple hours.

• Rusty

03/18/2013 at 4:39 pm

I don’t know if LSMs are that reliable, it seems like S:EFK constantly has a rollback haha.

03/17/2013 at 9:09 pm

I don’t anticipate any rollbacks on this.

7. josh

03/17/2013 at 6:19 pm

Idk but i sure hope im on it when it does

8. Casey

03/17/2013 at 6:23 pm

Great Update!!!

9. Brian

03/17/2013 at 6:23 pm

Thanks for the update Kurt. As a fan if SFMM since I was a kid (went to opening day of both Ninja and Viper) it’s great seeing all the updates. It’s been a long time since I last went and being in Oregon now, so all the info brings smiles and memories to me.

Eric, great info from the past. I enjoy all your stories.

03/17/2013 at 9:10 pm

What part of Oregon are you in? I grew up in Eugene/Springfield.

• Brian

03/18/2013 at 12:42 am

I am in Ashland now. My wife grew up in Eugene. I am originally from Pasadena so it was a quick trip up the 210 out to Valencia.

10. Will P

03/17/2013 at 6:32 pm

Great work as always Kurt, and great to see things coming along. It will be something to see the Loop go up, and whole other, when it’s open and ready for operation when it debuts. Thanks go out to you as well Eric for providing us with the rich History of the park and your updates as well. It’s been 0ver 20 years since I last stepped foot at SFMM, because I moved 20 years ago to Chicago IL. Six Flags Great America is a great park, but not quite SFMM by any means. Love to visit again very soon and get to ride all the rides which have been built since 1992, including Superman and Lex Luthor. Thanks fellas, great work, always.

11. Will P

03/17/2013 at 6:34 pm

BTW, Will the Full Throttle Loop tower over Revolution or is it somwhat away from Revolution and Tatsu? Thanks again.

• Nathan

03/17/2013 at 8:26 pm

It will be somewhat away, but will provide for a nice background from pictures taken from Six Flags plaza, I think.

03/17/2013 at 8:43 pm

I think their loops will be nearly parallel to each other, though a ways apart and with a hill in between.

03/17/2013 at 9:14 pm

It’s much closer to one of the Tatsu turns than it is to Revolution.

12. Justin

03/17/2013 at 6:58 pm

They have but down tons of supports in the past week. I think next week the launch or the turn coming out of the loop will have the track placed down.

13. Looper

03/17/2013 at 7:29 pm

I just got back from the park and went on Sky Tower and what a great view today up there able to see for miles. So funny that even me seeing it first hand I get a better view from 15 minutes on your site, then the time I spent looking at it.

Orient Express seemed to be not running so had to hike myself through the Rev short cut and up to the top of the hill. Those that know me would give me A for effort for doing that hike… Not a “A” for speed. saw water in Roaring Rapids and boats running but not sure if people were allowed to ride.

Both sides of SEFK were in operation and able to hear that sound of liftoff throughout the park. Keep up the great site.

03/17/2013 at 9:17 pm

I’d be surprised if they didn’t have all three water rides up and running for opening weekend, especially if the weather stays nice. However, I noticed during my NINE RIDES on Riddler’s this morning that Tidal Wave was dry as a bone and it didn’t look like anyone was working on it.

03/18/2013 at 8:41 pm

Nine rides on Riddler is a lot. I’ve done it four times within an hour or so back on its media day in 1998, and that was plenty (it also rained that day). It’s fun to be the only one on a coaster train. I’ve done Viper, Revolution, Canyon Blaster, and the original Superman—The Escape solo.

03/20/2013 at 9:13 pm

I end up riding Superman: Escape from Krypton solo quite a bit. I get in early with the Gold Pass and head up there to get some Full Throttle pics. While everyone else is still running to X2, I have Superman all to myself. I think my record is four back-to-back rides solo before anyone else shows up. I always feel like I’m going to get a bill from the park when I ride solo, to cover their maintenance expenses.

14. Nathan

03/17/2013 at 8:33 pm

Some of the footers look WAY too big.

03/17/2013 at 8:44 pm

Remember, this is earthquake country. I don’t think any footers could be too big. 😉

03/17/2013 at 9:18 pm

I agree with Eric. There’s no such think as footers that are too big when it comes to roller coasters in Los Angeles, especially when building on a hillside.

15. Andrew

03/17/2013 at 8:47 pm

Anyone go to the ERT today? I went and was looking but didn’t see anyone.

In other news, the park was packed and very understaffed today with food lines stretching into the midway.

Also new maps are out and candy store has reopened.

03/17/2013 at 9:27 pm

I was there and ran into another reader of this site. I ended up getting nine rides in on Riddler’s before I threw in the towel.

You and I must have been in different parks today because I thought it was fairly dead. After Riddler’s, I walked onto a couple of other rides and rode multiple times with virtually no wait. I had lunch in Food, Etc just after noon and it was really slow. Walked right up to the counter, got served, and sat at one of the many empty tables. Even when I left at 1:30, they were just starting to park cars in the second lot. I didn’t see any crowds.

I should have a scan of the new map up sometime tomorrow.

• Andrew

03/17/2013 at 9:53 pm

I only went twice on Riddler then went off to get onto the first car of the day on Superman.

I thought today was really light until about 1:30. By 2 the second lot was full, all the food lines were out in the midway, X2 and Tatsu had full queues, Superman’s second side opened, Scream’s line was to the entrance, and the walkways were crowded with almost every table taken up at Waterfront. Until about 2 PM I was walking on every ride and then it seemed to get crazy. And they were parking people in front of Scream so the second lot full when I left at 3.

And the Goliath bus was out this week!

• Zac

03/17/2013 at 10:28 pm

hes right. I was working today, I came in at 1 and it was dead. But 2 came by and it picked up quick. The lot reached the 3rd by the time I left at 8.

16. dylan

03/17/2013 at 10:10 pm

this is kinda off topic but i was wondering if you could start a 2014 rumors for magic mountain article, that would be awesome because i have heard rumors from sky screamer to dive machine to colossus rocky mountain treatment.

• Alex

03/18/2013 at 11:18 am

The Colossus rumor is true. After Full Throttle is finished, Collosus will be closed for the better part of the end of 2013 and wont be reopening until early 2014 for the a complete renovation. The track was originally going to be getting only the “topper” track section redone but now it looks like they are going to redo everything with the Iron Horse treatment seeing how sucessful it was in Texas. I wish they would ad an inversion seeing how it will technically now be a hybrid coaster. Should be really cool and guarantee that Collosus remains a permanent staple of Magic Mountain’s skyline and parking lot.

• Nathan

03/20/2013 at 7:36 pm

How do you know?

03/20/2013 at 9:24 pm

I’d rather not do an entire article based on nothing but rumors. I don’t mind us talking about them in the comments, assuming they relate to the article they’re attached to, but dedicated rumor articles is a path I don’t want to start going down.

17. Misael

03/17/2013 at 10:31 pm

Great Update !Glad to see they’re bringing this coaster up quickly. I honestly hope they finish and open it by the middle of May.

I know this is completely off-topic, but does anybody know what the 2013 souvenir cups look like?

03/20/2013 at 9:27 pm

Yes! They are round, hold about 32 oz, and come with a screw-off top that has a plastic straw in it. Oh, and they have a built-in handle as well! 😉

Seriously, though, I’m sure they’re just like every other year but a different color.

18. Bob winek

03/17/2013 at 10:51 pm

Looks like last years but yellow I believe

19. Darren Windsor

03/18/2013 at 1:03 am

Going to MM in August to ride Full Throttle all the way from Australia

20. Dylan

03/18/2013 at 2:49 pm

How do you know the colossus rumor is true?

21. josh

03/18/2013 at 5:02 pm

If all that is true and i don’t doubt it, if they don’t bring back the double down……..EPIC FAIL!!!
    I’d rather see the double down than an inversion. Oh yeah, racing trains too.

• Justin

03/18/2013 at 5:21 pm

A racing roller coaster with a topper track, crazy drops, banked turns, and a possible inversion sounds amazing.

03/19/2013 at 11:49 am

A racing coaster that raced sounds amazing.

Interestingly, Colossus was built to be a racing coaster, but in its first season, one of the ops told me that they couldn’t race the trains because the structure couldn’t support the weight and force of the trains. (Those first trains apparently were very heavy!)

A part dueling and part racing coaster would be a great idea, and they have the room out there to do it.

03/20/2013 at 9:32 pm

I’m not sure if you’ve ever ridden the New Texas Giant or not, but if a Colossus overhaul is anything like that, you will not miss the double down at all. I definitely won’t miss it because I never even experienced it. Since you want it brought back so bad, you must be one of the very few people who grew up around here and experienced it first hand.

22. dylan

03/18/2013 at 7:40 pm

so when do you think the construction of the loop will start

03/20/2013 at 9:33 pm

If not this week, then most likely next week. The entire track is supposed to be completed in the next 2-3 weeks.

23. AvgCoaster

03/19/2013 at 2:07 am

I’ll sacrifice an inversion on colossus for a “high-five” element anyday.

• Justin

03/19/2013 at 5:05 pm

So would I. Chinese people shouldn’t be the only ones who get to experience a high-five element.

24. Troy

03/20/2013 at 3:49 pm

Hey Kurt do you know the cost of Full Throttle? Or anybody?

03/20/2013 at 9:35 pm

Nope. That information has not been revealed by the park.

25. andrerestrepoortiz

03/21/2013 at 3:50 pm

i hope this ride is so cool i hope when they open this ride