Full Throttle Construction Update #12

By on 03/24/2013

Six Flags Magic Mountain Full Throttle Logo

This was the opening weekend for the 2013 season at Six Flags Magic Mountain and the Full Throttle construction is still humming along. This update is from 24 Mar 2013.

From the Sky Tower, there doesn’t appear to have been as much track installation over the past week as I would have expected. I know they’re working hard, and weather definitely hasn’t been a factor, but I guess I was expecting to see more track installed:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Full Throttle Construction Update

No apparent changes to the final brake run support columns and transfer track on the right, but you can tell that they’ve been working on the station:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Full Throttle Construction Update

A closer look at the work being done to the station:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Full Throttle Construction Update

It’s much easier to see all the rebar work that has been done around the perimeter of the new station. It looks like they are getting ready to start building up the exterior walls:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Full Throttle Construction Update

There still aren’t any of the main support columns installed for the vertical loop:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Full Throttle Construction Update

From the Superman plaza, you can definitely see that some track work has been done. The curved track on the bottom is where it comes out of the loop and heads up and over the Superman plaza. The upper track is where it exits the tunnel and heads into the top hat:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Full Throttle Construction Update

This is a closer view of where the track exits and then re-enters the front side of the hill:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Full Throttle Construction Update

It was hard to see from any other vantage point, but there were lots of track pieces lying close by, ready to be installed:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Full Throttle Construction Update

This is going to be an incredible place to watch the trains as they exit the vertical loop and then come flying right up over the top of you. You can also see the track head upwards as it exits the tunnel, getting ready to float over the top of the vertical loop:

Close, but no cigar:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Full Throttle Construction Update

Notice the track switch to the heavier spine shortly after it exits the tunnel:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Full Throttle Construction Update

In addition to the big crane, it looks like they brought in a smaller crane to help with the track installation on the front of the hill. It looks like they are about ready to start working on the vertical loop part of the track next:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Full Throttle Construction Update

This is where the train will exit the vertical loop and perform a hard right turn to head up over the Superman plaza. With the speed coming out of the loop, I’m predicting that this will produce some serious positive G’s as soon as you hit this turn:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Full Throttle Construction Update

Many of the support columns for the vertical loop connect to two separate footers for increased stability:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Full Throttle Construction Update

Looking at the storage track from a distance, you can see how elevated the track will be in the loading station compared to the midway:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Full Throttle Construction Update

Finally, I thought they were done working on the backside of the hill, but I was wrong. There has been a small trench dug close to where the track enters the tunnel. It looks like perhaps a set of stairs. My guess is that this will be for maintenance personnel to get in and out of the tunnel, as well as for evacuation purposes if (when) the train gets stuck in there:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Full Throttle Construction Update

Now that Six Flags Magic Mountain park is open daily for the 2013 season, I might start heading over on Fridays to see what progress they made during the week and provide an update without having to fight with the weekend crowds. But don’t hold me to that!

1. Nate

03/24/2013 at 10:44 pm

Great update. I very much enjoy reading your blog.
    -Nate

2. Dylan

03/24/2013 at 10:46 pm

Wow a lot more than I expected was done, I wonder it they will really be able to get the loop station and brakes done in one week and reach the April dead line

• James

03/24/2013 at 10:48 pm

I think they said end of April for the track

03/24/2013 at 11:00 pm

There is no “deadline.” They just said they were hoping to complete the track work in early April. I think they can do it.

3. James

03/24/2013 at 10:47 pm

Cheers Kurt, nice report.

Does it look like all the pieces of track and supports have arrived now?

4. steve austin

03/24/2013 at 10:58 pm

To bad you couldn’t set up a camera somewhere permanently and do a time lapse of the entire construction.

03/24/2013 at 11:14 pm

Some parks actually do that, but not SFMM. I’d be happy with a simple web cam with a live feed, but they don’t do that, either. 🙁

5. Ralph B.

03/24/2013 at 11:03 pm

It just keeps looking better and better every week. Really looking forward to see that massive vertical loop finally go up. It’s going to look amazing when the whole Full Throttle Coaster is finally finished.

6. Ralph B.

03/24/2013 at 11:15 pm

Great update like always by the way. I was already anxious to see this new update. Lol. Thank you so much for all your hard work, Kurt. Really looking forward to all the new ones in the future.

Thanx again. 🙂

Ralph B.

7. Arkhamar

03/24/2013 at 11:51 pm

Full Throttle looking real sweet! I would also like to point out I saw painting done in the tunnel…all black, cool! Still leaves us to ponder what special effects will be done in there 😉

8. Andy

03/25/2013 at 12:26 am

I just notice that the footers don’t really touch the concrete? Are they doig something wrong? What if it where to stay and those bolts break off?

03/25/2013 at 12:55 am

By my estimates, nearly a quarter of the entire track length will be incorporated into the loop. I’m looking forward to seeing that thing go up, and I’m sure it will rise within the next few weeks for sure.

10. Darren Windsor

03/25/2013 at 3:29 am

Great Update

11. Misael

03/25/2013 at 4:06 am

Is it me or does the space for the loading station seem small?

03/25/2013 at 6:59 pm

It does look small, but remember that the trains only have three cars.

12. Michael m

03/25/2013 at 6:20 am

Do you think they will work just as fast during the week days now that there is people? Also will my season dining pass work at other parks. Great update thank you

13. Jim

03/25/2013 at 8:19 am

I can’t wait for that loop to go up!

14. jd

03/25/2013 at 8:35 am

So this is supposed to be 160 ft..anyone know how tall that giant fake tree is across the way, for comparison?

03/25/2013 at 9:01 am

I just saw someone on my site looking for that info. It must have been you. I have it listed under the Bugs Bunny World profile. At 140′, it’s the world’s tallest fake tree.

• Looper

03/25/2013 at 5:44 pm

Looking at Dive Devil and that’s 153 feet and your telling me Full Throttle is a 160 feet…. that’s one beefy loop!

• Justin

03/26/2013 at 1:36 pm

For some reason when I saw your comment last night I thought you were talking about Dare Devil Dive at Six Flags Over Georgia. Why, I don’t know.

15. Ezra

03/25/2013 at 11:11 am

I’m 13 so I like to see new updates for the old park. Thanks for the wonderful updates!

16. Pingback: Full Throttle Construction Article Roundup - The Coaster Guy

17. jd

03/25/2013 at 4:19 pm

Wow this thing is going to be pretty massive then! I saw it for the first time yesterday and i must say pictures dont really do it justice. The area its built in just looks so large. I was a little concerned at first but seeing it in person i have no doubt in my mind this will be a great ride. The positive forces coming out of the loop and up the mountain are going to be intense. Looking foreward to this one.

18. Mike

03/25/2013 at 7:35 pm

I CAN”T WAIT till to get on Full Throttel
    My good friend Dan Sheffer & I are big roller coaster FANS. Dan is a member & I”M next.
    Dan & I are watching the new roller_coaster @ Knot’s Berry Farm

03/26/2013 at 5:26 pm

Thank you, Mike. I removed your email address so it wouldn’t be publicly displayed.

19. chilton schilling

03/26/2013 at 10:53 am

So any chance it will be open before June? I’d like to get on this coaster before school lets out to beat the summer crowds. Ill probably be headed there within a few weeks. Quick question. Anyone know how I can get there from the newhall/Santa clarita Amtrak station taking the city bus?

03/26/2013 at 7:43 pm

With the current rate of construction, and given the good weather we’ve been having, I’d say that having Full Throttle open by Memorial Day is a real possibility.

03/26/2013 at 7:48 pm

I forgot to answer the second part of your post, Chilton. Visit the Santa Clarita Transit website. There should be route and schedule information about transportation between the Santa Clarita Metrolink station and Magic Mountain. I do know that SCT serves the park.

20. chilton schilling

03/27/2013 at 11:00 am

Thanks Eric I figured it out. I checked Amtrak schedule and found out I will be there early enough to walk there. Luckily I don’t mind walking though I’m taking a bus back that’s for sure. I should be there Saturday April 13th I believe. I need my thrill fix. Haven’t been on lex or sefk yet.