Full Throttle Construction Update #13

By on 03/27/2013

Six Flags Magic Mountain Full Throttle Logo

Things are happening so fast now on the Full Throttle construction at Six Flags Magic Mountain that every few days there is something new to see. Just in the last couple of days, work has begun on arguably the most exciting element of the ride – the vertical loop. This Full Throttle construction update is from 27 Mar 2013.

The big support columns for the vertical loop, as well as the first couple of track pieces for the vertical loop, have started to be installed. The track pieces are located at the end of the initial launch run, right where the train will enter the vertical loop:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Full Throttle Construction Update

You can see where this new track section will attach to the left side of the new support column. The train will exit the loop by coming down through the right side:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Full Throttle Construction Update

You can just make out this new track through the trees, behind the crane:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Full Throttle Construction Update

Pulling back a bit, you can see the new support columns just to the right of the crane. You can also see they’ve extended the track coming out of the tunnel:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Full Throttle Construction Update

Here’s another view of the new track where you can really see it start to curve up:

And another view:

And one final view:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Full Throttle Construction Update

From the Superman plaza, you can really start to get a sense on how high the top hat element will be. It’ll go even higher than this as it crests over the top of the loop:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Full Throttle Construction Update

I posted a picture on my Facebook page from the park late last night where I said it looked like they were getting ready to pour some concrete in this area. This is where the track enters the tunnel. By noon today, it was done. They extended the concrete out from the tunnel:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Full Throttle Construction Update

It’s hard to see in the previous photo, but there is also a set of stairs to get into the tunnel:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Full Throttle Construction Update

More pieces of the “top hat” portion of the track have arrived as well:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Full Throttle Construction Update

This one is new, with a support connection on the side:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Full Throttle Construction Update

This one is very unique. It looks like a support column, but it’s white and has track rails:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Full Throttle Construction Update

That’s it for today. I hope to have another update Friday afternoon or evening for you. Six Flags Magic Mountain is now back to daily operations, so expect weekday updates.

1. michael mountain

03/27/2013 at 4:27 pm

very interesting. the track doesn’t seem steep enough at that point unless the loop gets way wider. according to the video there only needs to be 4 top hat pieces and three are here. i suspect the loop will be done in 2-3 weeks at most. thank you for the dedication and look forward to more updates

03/27/2013 at 4:52 pm

I think the lack of track curvature is a testament to just how big this loop is going to be. I think there was a fourth top hat piece in the background. I was in the parking lot, so I didn’t have the best view.

• michael mountain

03/27/2013 at 6:07 pm

the top hat with the support connector is the final piece on the way down. it will be steeper going down than up. im going for the ert on goliath so i hope a lot of progress will be done. you are correct, there is a 4th piece in the lot my bad

03/28/2013 at 3:00 pm

ERT on Goliath? Tell me more about that…

• Michael m

03/28/2013 at 3:43 pm

This Saturday at 10 I hope few will be there

2. Misael

03/27/2013 at 4:32 pm

At this pace, hopefully it will be open by Memorial Day

03/27/2013 at 6:49 pm

I’m sure it will be at the rate they’re going.

03/30/2013 at 6:59 pm

The track and possibly the entire coaster may be finished by then, but don’t hold your breath on it being opened by then. They still have a lot of work to do in that entire area. Look for a June opening.

3. Ralph B.

03/27/2013 at 4:33 pm

I can’t believe how fast things are happening. This ride is truly going to be amazing. I am here @ the park right now and it is looking better and better every time I see it in person. Can’t wait for Full Throttle to be complete.

4. Johnny

03/27/2013 at 6:15 pm

So, how much hang time do you guys think we will get at the top of the loop, and airtime on the top hat?

03/30/2013 at 7:00 pm

There is supposed to be around 1.25 seconds of airtime as you pass over the top hat element.

5. steve austin

03/27/2013 at 6:21 pm

as usual a fantastic update. thanks for all the info

03/27/2013 at 6:32 pm

I’m sorry, Steve, but I gotta ask. Do you get a lot of Six Million Dollar Man remarks? I loved that show growing up. 😉

03/27/2013 at 6:54 pm

It’s kind of funny how some of the track sections have the beefy crossties, and then a random couple of much thinner ones. No doubt it’s done for a reason, but it does look kind of strange.

All in all, I think many people’s hopes for Full Throttle are going up as more of it is put together. Despite its short length, it just might a favorite after all. Look at Xcelerator at Knott’s…

7. Gregg

03/27/2013 at 8:13 pm

I don’t think the ride will be open by Memorial Day, but who knows. I’m sure there will be a long test and adjust period for the ride with the effects in the tunnel, etc.

As for airtime over the Top Hat I honestly don’t think there will be much. It will be wider than the Top Hat element on Xcelerator for example. Plus with the brake run being directly after the top hat (waste of all that speed) my guess is there will be magnetic breaks on the bottom half of the top hat similar to those on the back side of the “airtime” hill on Kingda Ka.

I do think it will offer some airtime but not any more than the “airtime” hill on Goliath.

As long as media day isn’t the weekend of June 16 I’ll be happy.

03/27/2013 at 8:21 pm

Everything I’m hearing is indicating a June opening, but I don’t have a specific date yet.

• Gregg

03/28/2013 at 11:56 am

Same. =)

• Nathan

03/29/2013 at 1:06 pm

There will be probably some magnetic brakes once you get over the top hat and start to level out again. You can see them in the video, if you look closely. Videos can be wrong however.

8. Andrew

03/27/2013 at 9:02 pm

It DEFINITELY won’t be before May 22, as that’s when the Full Throttle song is being released. Haha I’m guessing between Memorial Day and June 15. That’s what I have been guessing since August and I’m still confident with those dates. I guessed the exact weekend that vertical construction would begin back in November. It’s been rather crazy.

9. Bob winek

03/27/2013 at 9:07 pm

I was there today.
    Did u ride lex Luther today I believe I saw u.
    Very busy today physics day 2 hours for x

03/27/2013 at 9:32 pm

No rides for me today. I was in and out in about an hour. Just wanted to see if the loop was going up yet.

10. Lomax

03/27/2013 at 9:27 pm

Wow! Little Gol’rusher looks so tiny! Thanks for all the updates Kurt, I really love this blog 🙂

11. Misael

03/28/2013 at 12:39 am

Is there any indication that they will be landscaping the main construction area?

03/30/2013 at 7:01 pm

I would be extremely surprised if that entire area wasn’t heavily landscaped before it opens.

12. chilton schilling

03/28/2013 at 8:26 am

June 10th is my 21st birthday. Doubt they open it on a Monday though that would be cool to have it openon my birthday. I think the testing will dictate opening day though. Every new coaster will have at least some problems. Hopefully this one will have less then expected for a sooner opening.

13. Justin

03/28/2013 at 1:19 pm

I hope Full Throttle opens before May 17th because that is when my school’s grad night is.

• XYZ

03/28/2013 at 3:51 pm

There is no way Full Throttle is opening by May 17th.

03/30/2013 at 7:02 pm

There’s not a snowball’s chance in …

14. Dylan

03/28/2013 at 1:39 pm

Justin, do you go to Sierra vista?

• Justin

03/28/2013 at 2:11 pm

No, is that a high school or a middle school? I am graduating from a middle school.

15. Pingback: 2013 Neuheit: Full Throttle (Premier Rides, Launch Coaster) @ Six Flags Magic Mountai - Seite 8

16. dylan

03/28/2013 at 4:29 pm

middle school, just wondering becase i know they have a magic mountain trip for grad and it mite be the same day your going

03/28/2013 at 7:23 pm

Here’s kind of a strange question: will the trains go up the right side of the loop and come down on the left, or go up on the left and come down on the right? I guess I’m asking just so I can picture it. The video shows it going up on the right, but we know that computer generated videos are just conceptual in nature.

03/28/2013 at 7:38 pm

Up on the left and down on the right. You can tell by where that first section of track is going to attach to the support.

18. Sean

03/29/2013 at 11:58 am

Thank you for keeping me informed with the progression of Full Throttle!!! I look forward to every week when I can read and see something new!!!

19. Nathan

03/29/2013 at 1:12 pm

Can’t wait for weekday updates! Thanks Kurt! BTW the wait time today for SEFK is 115 min. Is that normal or longer than usual? I know it is opening week and all.

03/30/2013 at 1:01 am

115 minutes is almost two hours. That’s a lot longer than usual. In all of the years it’s been open, I don’t think I’ve ever waited longer than about 45 minutes because for me, it isn’t worth waiting much longer than that. This is the end of Spring Break for a lot of schools, so I imagine everyone and his brother was out at the park. This weekend is going to be a zoo, I think.

• Nathan

03/30/2013 at 7:35 pm

Thanks!

20. Bob Winek

03/29/2013 at 4:06 pm

Hey thanks for the update
    Any word on the cars yet

03/30/2013 at 7:03 pm

Nothing yet.

21. Bob Winek

03/29/2013 at 7:48 pm

It looks the unique piece might be for the launch section of the track or braking section.
    What else could it before.