Six Flags Magic Mountain Trip Report For 24 Mar 2013

By on 03/28/2013

Six Flags Magic Mountain Trip Report

Last weekend was the official opening of Six Flags Magic Mountain’s 2013 season. Even though the park is open year round, the opening weekend signifies when the park moves from offseason weekends only to daily operations. This isn’t a formal trip report as much as it’s a collection of observations I’ve made during multiple trips to the park this week.

The first thing I noticed right away was that the walkway to the front entrance had received a fresh coat of paint and was nice and clean (relatively speaking):

Six Flags Magic Mountain Trip Report

I also noticed that various midways had also received some new paint. All of the asphalt patchwork from offseason repairs had been covered up:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Trip Report

The Viper train that I had noticed out back the weekend prior was still out there. I was hoping they were doing something to it to get it ready for opening day, but it’s still there. I hope it hasn’t officially become an organ donar for the remaining trains:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Trip Report

I spotted the old Rice Jewelry kiosk sitting out back a few months ago and joked that I hoped they weren’t planning on bringing it back. Well…it does have a new paint job:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Trip Report

Do you think it’ll come back as the same thing? Has anyone ever bought rice jewelry? This is what it looked like before they started the Full Throttle construction:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Trip Report

How long has it been since Kodak went out of business? I was fully expecting the photographers to have new uniforms with the start of the new season. Even the Kodak Theater in Hollywood has been rebranded already:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Trip Report

Since I went to the University of Oregon, I tend to notice people wearing their swag. What amazes me is that I cannot remember a single time in the past year or so that I’ve been to Six Flags Magic Mountain and not seen at least one person wearing UO gear:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Trip Report

Wednesday was Physics Day at the park, adding to an already crowded Spring Break crowd:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Trip Report

My last two trips to the park, they’ve been driving the plain white buses. This seems very odd to me since they have three very attractive wrapped buses. I don’t know if this means they are having mechanical problems with the other buses or if they’re just breaking these in:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Trip Report

Speaking of the buses, I was very impressed to see yesterday that the insides are still nice and clean and free of any vandalism. As I was looking around, I spotted something that I hadn’t seen before. There are security cameras all throughout the buses. I like this and I hope it helps to deter people from doing things they shouldn’t be doing:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Trip Report

There is now a small sign up out front where the old trams used to load. It’s directing people around the corner to the new loading area. I’m not sure how well it’s working because I’m still seeing people line up here to get on the bus:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Trip Report

There is an equally small sign around the corner at the new loading area. I hope the park does something more permanent with the bus stops, because this just doesn’t look good:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Trip Report

I did stop by the park at night with my son this week. I hadn’t been there in the dark since Fright Fest and it was quite fun. The crowds had died down quite a bit from the day and we pretty much walked onto everything we wanted except X2 and Tatsu:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Trip Report

Has anyone else braved the Spring Break crowds this week?

03/28/2013 at 5:41 pm

I’m glad they have those cameras in the buses. Hopefully that will deter the thugs from defacing them.

As for visiting the park during the week, I’m going to give it a little time since Spring Break falls on different days depending on which school district the kids are in. When I was in school, it was always the week right before Easter (that would be this week). I don’t know when they started having it all over the calendar, but that makes it tough to decide when to go anywhere. During May and early June, I think Magic Mountain (and most other SoCal parks) are fairly empty, so that’s when I go if I can.

Thanks for getting out to Magic Mountain and doing a mid-week update. Full Throttle is coming along well, and I’m really looking forward to the chance to ride it.

2. Ralph B.

03/28/2013 at 5:53 pm

I was there yesterday and it wasn’t crowded at all until around 12:30 or so but by then, I had already gone on most rides since I have the gold pass and was able to get in about 10 mns before the park opened. I ended up leaving around 4:30 and it was really crowded by then. Planning on going back next Thursday again so we’ll c how that goes.

3. Michael

03/28/2013 at 6:21 pm

How packed will it be on April 16-18 you think?

03/30/2013 at 6:55 pm

I don’t think it’ll be that crowded with school back in session, but I’ve been known to be wrong before.

4. Ralph B.

03/28/2013 at 10:19 pm

It shouldn’t be packed during those days. Unless they have some kind of school competitions going on at the park like they do sometimes. Other than that, they should be pretty good days to visit the park.

I don’t know though for sure but I think you should be fine. I’m also thinking of going one of those three days myself. Hopefully I get to go. 🙂

5. Dane. P

03/28/2013 at 10:39 pm

Hey i love you dearly, but please don’t use the word swag. I would greatly appreciate it.

6. Agustin A.

03/29/2013 at 11:42 am

Both Tuesaday & Wednesday were packed, Does anyone know why Six Flags has only been running one side of Superman? I hope they don’t go back to running one train a day like they did with Superman: The Escape.

03/30/2013 at 6:56 pm

No idea why they would do that with such long lines.

7. Jason

03/29/2013 at 1:53 pm

I was at the park on Tuesday also, but from opening until about 4:30. I noticed that in the morning they were running the Full Throttle, Tatsu, and one plain white bus.

It wasn’t overly crowded, but Tatsu didn’t open with the park, neither did Green Lantern or Apocalypse. By the time I left Lex Luthor hadn’t opened at all. And both Superman and Batman had periods of downtime.

Line for X2 was to the bridge in the morning, and the Viper’s line was full. Both cleared up in the afternoon. Scream was running one train which caused an hour+ line. And Riddler’s line was out of the station and through the first set of switchbacks. Single rider line was a huge bonus!

The only real notable item I noticed was on Apocalypse. While it was closed in the morning they were running one train loaded with water dummies around the circuit. It opened in the afternoon and had a huge line from then on.

8. Paul

03/31/2013 at 1:43 pm

Are there still rides that snap an exciting ride photo.. available for purchase?
    If so which ones? I will be returning to the park for a visit in late April 2013 and hope to blog about it on Facebook. As a child in the 70’s I have memories of Warren the Wizard and Trolls, myself and much of my family have worked there over the years. My last employment experience there was in Show Operations. The best times were had with the fireworks crew at Mystic Lake.

03/31/2013 at 1:48 pm

Yes, Paul, there are a couple ride photos left. You’ll find them on X2, Viper, Tatsu, Scream, and Goliath.