Unique Dual-sided Full Throttle Track Going Up

By on 03/30/2013

Six Flags Magic Mountain Full Throttle Logo

The dual-sided Full Throttle track that makes this Premier Rides roller coaster at Six Flags Magic Mountain so unique started to go up this past week. This never-been-done-before element combines two sections of the roller coaster’s track onto a shared spine. One track is on the inside of a world record breaking 160′ vertical loop and the other track goes over the top of the same loop.

There is no avoiding this new roller coaster as you walk through Six Flags Magic Mountain. Now that construction has begun on the vertical loop, it can be seen from just about everywhere inside the park:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Full Throttle Track

If you look closely, you’ll notice that these two tracks are sharing a common spine. This has never been done before and is part of what makes the Full Throttle roller coaster so unique:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Full Throttle Track

Here is a close-up of where the two tracks merge into one. These steel workers are very brave individuals. I could never do what they do, that high up in a little basket! I’m guessing the support columns from the previous photo are going to extend up and attach to the connection points you see on the side. They were bolting these two pieces together as I took this photo:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Full Throttle Track

Here you can start to see what the loop will look like as you launch out of the station:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Full Throttle Track

Anyone besides me getting even more excited?

1. Sean

03/30/2013 at 3:45 pm

YUP, very excited! I couldn’t stop looking at it this morning during Goliath ERT. I really can not wait for that loop to be completed, it will probably look amazing! When they will start testing, I’ll be at the superman plaza ALL DAY.

Thanks for the pictures Coaster Guy!

2. John

03/30/2013 at 3:56 pm

It will be an awesome ride, brief but it will be pretty exciting getting shot up that loop and definitely the twisty bits. Possibility of rollbacks too?

03/30/2013 at 6:23 pm

I hope not…all that does is shut the coaster down for awhile. Not cool.

3. steve austin

03/30/2013 at 4:07 pm

In the second photo, I like that little tiny black support piece that connects the 2 spines just before they merge.

03/30/2013 at 6:23 pm

I noticed that too.

4. Ralph B.

03/30/2013 at 4:31 pm

Words can’t even express how excited I am about this ride. I’m just speechless looking at the loop going up. Who cares if it’s not as long and we all thought it would be. This is probably going to be one of the best rides at the park once it opens. Really looking forward to the opening day. Can’t hardly wait. Thanks for these amazing photos, Kurt.

5. Arkhamar

03/30/2013 at 4:43 pm

OMG!! The last photo where you launch into the gianormous loop is absolutely EPIC!! I cannot wait to ride this beast!! I can already sense the G forces just by looking at it!!

6. Justin

03/30/2013 at 4:58 pm

It would be cool if it was timed so one of the trains hits the top of the loop while another hits the top of the top hat, but I don’t think that will happen.

03/30/2013 at 6:26 pm

It won’t ever happen. The first train will need to clear the top of the loop before the second train is even launched. If the first train doesn’t clear the top hat, and rolls back into the tunnel, then the second train would hit it as it entered the tunnel.

• Justin

03/30/2013 at 11:39 pm

Yeah I didn’t think that it would happen.

7. Sammy

03/30/2013 at 5:00 pm

Super excited! I finally just got the chance to ride Superman Escape at Discovery Kingdom and oh my that ride is great. Seems like premier sure knows how to make amazing rides that are shorter so I feel like FT will be insane, especially intense after the loop over super man plaza.

One question though, what is with the controversy of Full Throttle not being record breaking? I know the top hat is groundbreaking, but I read somewhere that SF is making false claims about the loop height… Anyone?

• Justin

03/30/2013 at 5:51 pm

Six Flags Magic Mountain boasts that Full Throttle is the tallest and fastest looping coaster in the world. It is not the tallest looping coaster in the world because Superman: Krypton Coaster is 168 feet tall and Full Throttle is 160 feet tall. Viper is also taller than Full Throttle. It is not the fastest looping coaster in the world because Storm Runner at Hersheypark goes 75 miles per hour but that coaster does not have a vertical loop, but it still has an element that has loop in the name.

• J.D. W.

03/30/2013 at 6:14 pm

Justin, please do your research. The loop on SKC @ SFFT stands at 145 feet tall; the lift height is 168 feet. Full Throttle will have the tallest vertical loop on any coaster in the world. Cedar Point’s Gatekeeper will hold the tallest inversion with it’s first maneuver after the chain lift, but it’s not a full loop. Apparently, it takes a lot of momentum to get a coaster through such a large, full vertical loop, hence FT’s initial launch.

03/30/2013 at 6:39 pm

Sorry J.D., I didn’t see your reply awaiting moderation before I replied with the same information. -TCG

• J.D. Walters

04/01/2013 at 9:44 pm

No problem. Thank you for all of the information you provide here and all of the FT updates are just incredible!

• Justin

03/30/2013 at 6:46 pm

I am aware that the loop on SKC is 145 feet, but the height of the coaster exceeds 160 feet so Full Throttle wouldn’t be the tallest looping coaster, but the coaster with the tallest vertical loop. There are different elements on coasters that have the word loop in them i.e. dive loop, so it could cause confusion when they say that it is the fastest looping coaster.

• Justin

03/30/2013 at 6:50 pm

You know you are a roller coaster nerd when you argue about claims a roller coaster park made about their new coaster.

03/30/2013 at 6:51 pm

It’s all “marketing speak.” Those of us “in-the-know” (i.e. coaster enthusiasts) know exactly what they are saying. Those who aren’t, such as the general public, don’t really care. All they see is a cool new roller coaster that has a huge loop and goes really fast. Everybody wins.

03/30/2013 at 6:35 pm

They’re referring to the height of the vertical loop itself, not the entire coaster. Full Throttle’s will be 160′ and Superman: Krypton Coaster’s is only 145′. And as you already mentioned, Storm Runner doesn’t even have a vertical loop.

• Justin

03/30/2013 at 6:43 pm

If it is referring to the vertical loop itself then they should specify that. They should say that it is the tallest and fastest vertical looping coaster.

03/30/2013 at 6:33 pm

No false claims. They are referring to roller coasters with vertical loops. Superman: Krypton Coaster at Six Flags Fiesta Texas is the current record holder, since March 2000, with a loop that stands at 145′. At 160′, Full Throttle blows it out of the water by 15′. It doesn’t sound like a lot, but 9′ is the largest incement that any coaster has ever increased the vertical loop of a previous record holder. It’s a big deal.

• Andrew

03/30/2013 at 6:40 pm

Plus this loop actually starts at ground level! Pretty insane!

Were you at the Goliath ERT this morning?

• matthew

03/31/2013 at 12:22 pm

whoops so exited

8. J.D. W.

03/30/2013 at 6:16 pm

Correction: “…Gatekeeper will hold the tallest inversion with *its* first maneuver…”

• Nathan

03/30/2013 at 7:32 pm

The wing over drop found on X-Flight and The Swarm.

• Likegreenlantern

04/03/2013 at 3:00 pm

I rode x flight once. It was awesome on there, so it should be pretty fun on full throttle!

9. Dylan

03/30/2013 at 7:56 pm

Wow it will be done in one week 🙂
    Now I’m really excited

10. chilton schilling

03/30/2013 at 8:30 pm

I love knowing the stats about coasters. First time I saw the video I knew the loop height was the only record broken. I guess with the top hat you can say its the fastest, longest, tallest, with the most air time top hat in the world since this will be the only one. For now probably. Quick question, anyone know what the fastest coaster was before Superman the escape opened and how fast it was?

• Ezra

04/11/2013 at 11:32 am

Superman: The Escape opened 1 day after Tower of Terror in Australia. It’s the same ride but slower.

11. chilton schilling

03/30/2013 at 8:33 pm

i believe full throttle has the most speed going through the loop. That’s what it might mean as the fastest looping coaster. That’s just a thought though

03/30/2013 at 8:43 pm

Magic Mountain was known as “The Xtreme Park” for awhile, so it’s only fitting that they have the world’s most “xtreme” loop on one of their coasters. The initial launch on Full Throttle just might rival that of Xcelerator at Knott’s in order for the trains to get around that loop. Also, given the relatively short distance between the tunnel and the top hat, that third launch out of the tunnel is likely to be intense as well to get the train up over the top of the loop.

A few of us (myself included) have indicated that it would have been nice if there was more after the top hat element, but perhaps all of this intensity will make riders glad that the ride isn’t any longer. 😉

• Alex

04/04/2013 at 12:01 am

Eric,
      I thing that Full Throttle’s launch will be greater than Accelerator at @ Knotts, it may even be close to Kingda Ka type of force even though its not a catapult type. For sure somewhere in between there.. We will have to see. All I can say is that loop is going o require a lot of horsepower. 🙂

• Justin

04/04/2013 at 8:37 pm

I think that Xcelerator’s launch is greater than Full Throttle’s launch, because Xcelerator goes from 0 to 82 mph in 2 seconds if I am not mistaken. That is probably why it is called Xcelerator. My guess is that Full Throttle will go from 0-70 mph in around 3 seconds. Both of those are very powerful launches but Xcelerator does have more acceleration.

13. chilton schilling

03/30/2013 at 9:05 pm

Just looked up my question and tower of terror in Australia went the same speed of Superman the escape. Also made in the same year (did not know that) so slight change of question. What was the fastest coaster in the world before 1997. I would love to know.

14. chilton schilling

03/30/2013 at 9:09 pm

Fujiyama in Japan. Opened in July 1996 81 MPH.

15. chilton schilling

03/30/2013 at 9:24 pm

I agree with Eric. Don’t quote me on this but I think I read somewhere that whoever designed the 4th dimensional coaster was criticized bieng told no one will take that design because it was too intense or something like that. Leave it to magic mountain to take it and create X. The most popular ride in the world and still a favorite among just about anyone who has ridden it to this date which is known as X2 today. Still my favorite and I still get a little nervous waiting in line.

• Justin

03/30/2013 at 11:44 pm

Arrow Dynamics now a division of S&S called S&S Arrow created X, as well as Goldrusher, Ninja, and Viper.

• AvgCoaster

03/31/2013 at 2:57 am

And they merged because Arrow Dynamics literally went bankrupt while building X. ha. Anywho anybody know how the crowds usaully are on Easter Sundays? I plan on being up there tomorrow and was wondering.

• Likegreenlantern

04/03/2013 at 3:05 pm

S&S is now known as S&S sansi or something like that now because Someone in Japan bought a BIG SARE!!!!!!!!

16. Pingback: Full Throttle Construction Article Roundup - The Coaster Guy

17. Arkhamar

03/30/2013 at 10:23 pm

I remember going on Speed: the Ride when it was at the Sahara Hotel in Las Vegas years ago. I thought it was one of the most intense coasters I’ve ridden back then, especially the quick bank turn out of the station into the tunnel was insane! Though far from the same layout, I can only imagine Full Throttle at least doubling or tripling the wow factor with this latest Premier creation!

18. Brian

03/30/2013 at 11:43 pm

Does anyone think that the rails for Full Throttle’s loop will under 160ft and the rails to the top hat will actually be at the height of 160ft?

• Nathan

03/31/2013 at 2:24 pm

I don’t know. Maybe because the two tracks are fused together so the both sets of rails count as the same track of the loop.

19. Jason Tyrone

03/31/2013 at 12:18 am

When will it be completed like a educated guess what month?

• Nathan

03/31/2013 at 2:24 pm

June probably

• Andrew

03/31/2013 at 5:00 pm

Completed? 2 weeks MAX. Open to the public? Between Memorial Day and June 15th.

20. chilton schilling

03/31/2013 at 11:23 am

Yea after i posted that comment I did some research. No wonder x went under a Makeover. S&S Arrow used the flaws from X to make the 4th dimensional coaster even better. 3 4th dimensional coasters stand today. The green lantern ride( can’t think of what type of coaster it is) deprived off of the 4th demensional type. I think that was from S&S Arrow also. Just a watered down version I think. Less space, cheaper to make. I’m not a big fan of the green lantern. I’d take de ja vu any day.

• Andrew

03/31/2013 at 5:01 pm

GL is a 4D, just not a 4th Dimensional Coaster type 4th Dimensional Coaster. It’s a ZacSpin 4th Dimensional Coaster.

04/01/2013 at 10:56 am

Green Lantern is an Intamin ZacSpin model, not S&S Arrow.

21. matthew

03/31/2013 at 12:21 pm

soooooooooooooo exited !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

22. MichaelOchs

03/31/2013 at 7:12 pm

I honestly think they’ll finish the loop earliest Wednesday and latest Saturday. Now for the full track i say early to mid April, and the station i say about the 15th or 16th of April, and test runs from about April 21st to May 6th and opening day May 13th. Just my guesses.

03/31/2013 at 8:11 pm

It sounds like you’re forgetting the rest of the Full Throttle area. There are two brand new restaurants, a retail store, a giant entertainment area that will serve as the entrance to the ride, lots of flat work, and all the landscaping. None of those have even been started yet and probably won’t be until the track is completed and the heavy machinery is done and gone.

• Andrew

04/01/2013 at 1:11 am

my dreams are ruined I’m going there in may in hopes of riding it.

04/02/2013 at 12:01 am

I’m thinking that June will be more realistic.

23. josh

03/31/2013 at 7:53 pm

^^^^ that sounds about right

24. josh

03/31/2013 at 7:57 pm

Looking down that launch into the loop which is going to be even taller is crazy, that is going to be a gnarly launch. Can’t wait.

25. Matthew

04/01/2013 at 9:21 am

When do you think it will be open

26. Matthew

04/01/2013 at 9:23 am

Sorry when do you think they will start testing

27. Ralph B.

04/02/2013 at 9:20 pm

Does anyone know if the loop has been completed yet?? I’ll be going to the park on Thursday so if I don’t hear anything by then, I’ll be more than glad to post it on here if it already has.

Thanx in advance. 🙂

• Looper

04/02/2013 at 10:15 pm

I was at SFMM on Monday and still saw the loop parked on the riverside of the parking lot. I don’t think it would have been completed over night so I would guess loop isn’t yet complete.

28. Ralph B.

04/02/2013 at 11:15 pm

Thanks for sharing that information. I thought so but was just wondering. I guess we just have to wait a few more days to see it complete. Thanks again.

29. Bob Winek

04/03/2013 at 7:17 am

They just released the theme song for full throttle by Airbourne called live it up “Live It Up”
    Here is the sight to get it: