Monorail Returning To Six Flags Magic Mountain

By on 04/01/2013

Intamin Transportation logo

I never thought I’d actually get to say this in my lifetime, but Six Flags Magic Mountain is putting in another monorail. Partnering with the Swiss ride manufacturer Intamin, who has had a long-standing relationship with Magic Mountain since its inception, the park announced that they will install a brand new Intamin monorail and they expect it to be completely operational for the 2014 season.

When Magic Mountain first opened in 1971, there were three different people movers sprinkled around the park, including the Metro Monorail, growing to five people movers by 1975 after the Dragon and Grand Centennial Excursion railroad were added. Over time, each one was eventually removed for various reasons, leaving only the Orient Express today to move people up and down the front side of the hill.

The Metro Monorail ran from 1971-2001, closing due to the high cost of maintenance and unavailability of parts long after the manufacturer went out of business. It sat dormant for another 10 years before being removed and sold to another park for parts. For years guests have been asking for a new way to once again shuttle them around the park, especially during the hot summer months. It sounds like the park has finally answered that call.

Bonnie Rabjohn, Six Flags Magic Mountain President, said “We are extremely pleased to be bringing the monorail back. We know our in-park transportation systems have not kept pace with the tremendous growth of our park, but we are fixing that today. What we came up with is a world-class system that is fast, comfortable, and will serve our guests for years to come.

Intamin Amusement Rides has installed many roller coasters and other attractions at Six Flags Magic Mountain over the years, including the iconic Sky Tower, former Eagle’s Flight sky buckets, and Superman: Escape from Krypton. The new monorail, which was not named, will come from Intamin Transportation, a sister division of Intamin Amusement Rides that deals in commercial transportation systems like railroads and monorails. It will be the People Mover P6 model, which appears to be their entry level monorail.

Intamin Transportation P6 Monorail

Image © Intamin Transportation

Intamin is happy to once again be working with Six Flags Magic Mountain on another one-of-a-kind attraction. Like Green Lantern: First Flight was in 2011, and Lex Luthor: Drop of Doom was in 2012, the Intamin P6 monorail will be another signature Intamin attraction at Six Flags Magic Mountain in 2014 that nobody else in the United States has,” said Lirpa Sloof, Intamin Transportation’s Vice President of Business Development.

The new monorail will make a complete loop of the park, stopping at four stations. There will be two trains, with 8 cars per train, seating a total of 48 passengers per train. Each train will be automated, running on an electric rail, and will be fully enclosed with air conditioning. Time between stations will be approximately two minutes. A round trip through the park, stopping at each station to load/unload, will take approximately fifteen minutes. The four stations will be located in the Full Throttle area, Colossus County Fair, Cyclone Bay, and Samurai Summit.

Intamin Transportation P6 Monorail

Image © Intamin Transportation

The Full Throttle station will be located in the upper back half of the old Palace Games building, with the entrance being located between the two new restaurants, a new retail store, and Freestyle Coca-Cola machines. At least now we know what the “special project” was that was mentioned during the Full Throttle hard hat tour. The Colossus County Fair stop will use the existing, but long shuttered, Metro station, refurbished for the new monorail. The old Cyclone Bay train station area, located behind the rope climb and antique photo studio, will be the home of a new station serving the back most corner of the park. Lastly, the upper Orient Express station will be the location for the fourth and final stop.

The bad news that comes with this announcement is that the Orient Express, the sole remaining people mover in the park, will finally be decommissioned and removed. Having served the park since it opened in 1971, known then as the Funicular, it’s become too costly and difficult for the park to maintain. It simply no longer makes financial sense to continue spending the money it needs to remain operational. The park will convert the upper station to a new monorail station and the new monorail beam will follow the Orient Express path down the hill, behind the Cyber Café, over the fountain, and into the Full Throttle station.

I don’t know about you, but I am very excited about this announcement. It may not be a coaster, but this really is long overdue. I personally hope they call it Metro, even if just for nostalgia’s sake, as a tip of the hat to the monorail that served the park for 30 years.

Kudos to Six Flags Magic Mountain on the continued improvements to the park. In just the last couple of years, we’ve seen new major roller coasters, a world record-breaking flat ride, a entire area re-theme with DC Universe, and a brand-new bus fleet to replace the aging trams. Keep up the good work…it’s very much appreciated!!

EDIT: Happy April Fool’s Day!! I hope I didn’t get everyone’s hopes up too much. 😉

1. Ryan Stryker

04/01/2013 at 7:25 am

Ummm, please tell me this is legit and not some April Fools Day prank, although it probably is!?

2. Jeff Wesson

04/01/2013 at 7:37 am

Wow, this is awesome news! As you said, kudos to Six Flags Magic Mountain for listening to their guests!

3. Sean

04/01/2013 at 7:38 am

Coasterguy, that is so awesome, thanks for sharing, I can’t wait to tour the park with the new monorail, also do you know if their will be any other new rides next year? Like ‘iron colossus’? Or is this still a rumor?

4. Josh

04/01/2013 at 7:42 am

April Fools….

5. zac

04/01/2013 at 8:04 am

now this is what i like to here! the park has really taken a turn for the best

6. X2fan

04/01/2013 at 8:11 am

Can’t believe they actually believed it! April Fool’s!

7. Michael m

04/01/2013 at 8:21 am

Can you post a link to the announcement. This could also explain why the orient express was never cared for and have the markings on the cars. Will it more or less take the same route as the metro by Goliath and bugs bunny world. I think they will use the old flashback lot for construction. I am very excited. Plus this seems way to elaborate for an April fools joke considering he would have had to drawn a course for it to make sense.

8. Nathan

04/01/2013 at 8:51 am

You didn’t get me. April Fools Kurt!

9. Arkhamar

04/01/2013 at 8:51 am

LOL! Nice one CoasterGuy! Well written and had me Fooled!…….Lirpa Sloof…..I love it!!

10. Looper

04/01/2013 at 9:18 am

Change reminds us that anything is possible. It’s easy to think that anything that’s stuck will always be that way. But when you see things change, it’s encouragement to know that nothing stays the same forever.

Looking forward to riding the new Monorail attraction in 2014 but i think the stop from Metro station to Cyclone station is pretty close to each other and would hope they didn’t do both stations. Just save some cash and use only the current Metro station as its already in place.

• Michael m

04/01/2013 at 9:26 am

The reason I think they would build a station there is there is low traffic in that side of the park and it would hopefully bring more people to that side of the park. They also have a lot of stores and games in that area so it would be economically smart

11. Jim

04/01/2013 at 9:40 am

is this an april fools joke?

12. Nathan

04/01/2013 at 9:41 am

Lirpa Sloof backwards is APRIL FOOLS!!!!!

13. Nathan

04/01/2013 at 9:49 am

BTW I’m pretty sure the VP of Intamin transportation is not Lirpa Sloof.

14. JIMMY TOVAR

04/01/2013 at 9:59 am

If this is a April Fools prank…..not funny.

15. Martin

04/01/2013 at 10:00 am

LMAO…nice!

16. jd

04/01/2013 at 10:46 am

Got me lol

17. Rusty

04/01/2013 at 11:34 am

That was cruel, But this is perhaps the best April fools joke ever!

18. Ralph B.

04/01/2013 at 12:53 pm

You so got me. I was getting all excited about it already. Lol. Maybe in a few years from now it will really happen. You never know. Let’s keep our fingers crossed.

19. Andrew g.

04/01/2013 at 1:46 pm

Please tell me your kidding me ! Just a monorail!! And not the iron treatment for Colossus…. Hmmmm

20. James

04/01/2013 at 1:53 pm

Come on. SFMM Greatly needs a monorail! I really do wish this was true, infact why not make a second entrance with it? keep the trams and shuttles to main gate and have the monorail have a stop in the parking lot? would reduce the long lines at the main gate as well as give guests another place to buy tickets!

21. chilton schilling

04/01/2013 at 5:00 pm

Had me fooled a monorail would be great. Though iron collosus sounds better. I love walking and the lines at the monorail would be so packed probably be faster to walk to the other side of the park. Iron collosus just sounds awesome.

22. Alex

04/01/2013 at 6:42 pm

I would have believed it too if I didn’t already know about the 2014 plans for Colossas… Nice one Kurt. Still made my day, seeing everybody responding before your edit…. Way too funny.

23. Alex

04/01/2013 at 6:46 pm

Lets not kid each other, we all could care less about another monorail. That’s what Disneyland is for. We are COASTER lovers for all that is holy… End rant.

04/01/2013 at 9:33 pm

Magic Mountain is a very big park (125 acres or more—compare that to Disneyland, which is about 90 acres, and Knott’s, which is about 40 or so). Having a nice network of transportation rides to get people around is a good thing. Metro was a great link in that network, and something like it would be good for the park.

• Alex

04/02/2013 at 12:29 pm

125 acres? It’s more than double that. A quick google search came back with 272 acres. Btw, Disneyland is well over 90 acres, it actually is 160 acres, not including DCA.

• Brendan

04/02/2013 at 1:13 pm

Hi.

Here is the wikipedia article on Disneyland. The first sentence under the “Land” section says Disneyland is 85 acres.

It also says Walt originally bought 160 acres of land, but that included the area for the former parking lot that is now DCA.

04/02/2013 at 4:13 pm

The entire property is 260 acres, but that includes parking and Hurricane Harbor and maintenance areas. I was referring to the space that park guests actually visit.

• XYZ

04/02/2013 at 7:08 am

Honestly, I would rather have more family rides added to Magic Mountain than more thrill rides. Magic Mountain has the lamest family ride selection in California. Plus, a lot of families with children who are too old for Bugs Bunny World but too young for the big coasters visit the park.

04/02/2013 at 10:33 am

They tried going the family route when Jay Thomas was at the park, but it was far from a success. Magic Mountain found its niche a long time ago, and that was thrill rides. Don’t expect that to change anytime soon.

• Misael Soto

04/02/2013 at 2:35 pm

Do not expect them to take Bugs off either, believe it or not, The looney tunes are the heart of that park, along with the DC Characters depicted. As for the “Family” park, never will it be satisfying for families with small children, but as a family, I think its necessary for research of the park in which you are attending, or plan to attend, if you’re a first time go-er.

04/01/2013 at 7:42 pm

I have to admit that you got me, too, Kurt. But as I was reading through this today’s date came to mind and I thought, “Wait a minute…”

This was a good prank, though. It’s all good. 🙂

25. James

04/01/2013 at 9:05 pm

Aaaaagh! You got me!

I was excited too!

26. Casey

04/02/2013 at 10:36 am

You fooled me!!I thought this was real for a second!!!Six Flags needs a good monorail system!!!

27. Likegreenlantern

04/03/2013 at 2:50 pm

Hello Kurt! I’ve always wanted to comment on your blog that I’ve been reading for a long time, but didn’t because of the fear of identity theft. Sounds creepy, but you never know these days. I gained the courage after reading a recent page talking about how you guys feel somewhat bad for not being able to travel a lot for theme parks. I thought this was weird because I’m jealous of your home town park! The closest thing I have to me is the Wisconsin Dells which is 2 hours away! I really hope to make it there within the next two years. Can’t wait for the next blog!

04/05/2013 at 8:22 pm

Welcome to the party and thanks for getting up the courage to comment. The more, the merrier! 🙂

28. Dane. P

04/03/2013 at 7:57 pm

OK we have people believing this is real or as an april fools joke. PLZ KURT CLARIFY.

• Justin

04/03/2013 at 8:09 pm

There is an edit at the bottom of the article that says: “EDIT: Happy April Fool’s Day!! I hope I didn’t get everyone’s hopes up too much.” So it is an April Fools Day joke/ prank.

• Dane. P

04/04/2013 at 8:40 pm

Thank you, I assumed it was I just wanted clarification.

29. chilton schilling

04/04/2013 at 9:07 am

Hey likegreenlantern. You are right. We are very fortunate how close we are to such a great park. I actually live about 3 and a half hours away from sfmm but the Amtrak is only 28 bucks and 3 hour drive is considered a short drive in California. If you ever get a chance to go don’t pass it up. Any thrill seeker has to go to the thrill capital of the world. I hope you get that chance one day. You will not regret it.

• Likegreenlantern

04/04/2013 at 7:16 pm

Thank you very much!

30. El Bob-o

04/16/2013 at 12:06 am

I cried when I got to the end. It’s not even April fools anymore. Didn’t even get fooled on the day. Guess this makes up for it. Should have that “edit” at the top of page. ;(