Full Throttle Construction Update #14

By on 04/04/2013

Six Flags Magic Mountain Full Throttle Logo

With Spring Break winding down, I decided to take a day off from work and spend it at Six Flags Magic Mountain with my youngest son. Fortunately, the crowds are starting to die down a bit and we were able to go on quite a few rides with little to no waiting. Of course, I also took advantage of being there by checking in on the progress of the Full Throttle build. This Full Throttle construction update is from 4 April 2013.

From the Sky Tower, we are finally starting to see the two sides of the vertical loop rise into the sky. At 160′ tall, it’ll be  very hard to miss:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Full Throttle Construction

Zooming in a little closer, you can see the entire construction zone is a flurry of activity. You can see how the two sides of the loop are starting to come together:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Full Throttle Construction

In the background of this next shot, you can see the progress that has been made on the loading station. In the foreground, you can see a couple of steel workers bolting on a piece of track while it’s still being supported by the crane. One worker is still in the yellow work basket while the other one is actually standing on the track:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Full Throttle Construction

After securing the track piece, they remove the strap from the crane. The two black support columns are ready to receive and secure the next piece:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Full Throttle Construction

The connection of the next piece will be similar to this, but the piece itself will be different:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Full Throttle Construction

You might have noticed several holes dug in the ground around the station in the above photos. I’m not sure what these are, but it looks like they’re ready for a concrete pour. Based on their location on the opposite side of the track from the loading station, I can’t help but wonder is this will be the ride’s exit path. They just seem like very odd shapes for a path:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Full Throttle Construction

From the ground, there is a lot of preparation being done for these holes:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Full Throttle Construction

From the Superman plaza, this side of the ride is practically complete, except for the loop:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Full Throttle Construction

I’m still not tired of this view, and we haven’t even seen a train on it yet:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Full Throttle Construction

This is the completed support structure for one-half of the loop:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Full Throttle Construction

It’s very clever how they merged the two tracks onto a single spine:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Full Throttle Construction

Lots of people have commented on this small connector, just before the two tracks merge:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Full Throttle Construction

From the front of the park, we’re starting to get a better view of the loop and how big it is:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Full Throttle Construction

Another shot of the completed half of the loop:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Full Throttle Construction

This is the support structure going up for the other half of the loop:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Full Throttle Construction

This is a shot of all of the activity taking place as seen from the ground:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Full Throttle Construction

I thought the loop was going to go up on the left side and come down on the right, but it looks like it is going to go up on the left side of the far support structure and come back down on the left side of the near structure. I never noticed that the support structures are asymmetrical, with the left side being straight and the right side being angled. I wonder why:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Full Throttle Construction

The loading station walls are going up fast, with lots of guys working on it today:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Full Throttle Construction

All of the pieces are now sitting in the construction area. I think the short white piece is the next track piece to go in that open support structure that we saw above:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Full Throttle Construction

I got a little excited as I was watching from the Sky Tower. After disconnecting from the piece above, the crane moved over to where the pieces were laying on the ground. I thought that perhaps I’d get to see a piece of track lifted into place. Alas, it was just a small support:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Full Throttle Construction

See, there are absolutely no track pieces left across the way. Just a couple of truck trailers:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Full Throttle Construction

Has anyone else been to the park yet to see this in person? The pictures don’t do it justice.

1. Julien D.

04/04/2013 at 9:18 pm

Amazing, Just Amazing.
    That is all i Can Say,
    And thank you Very, Very Much for taking the Day off Work to go to the Park and Bringing us this Fantastic Update. Will be there Sunday, and i Expect the Loop Done.
    Also, I was wondering, has the tunnel track changed yet?
    -Julien D, Palmdale Ca.

04/05/2013 at 8:10 pm

What do you mean by “changed”?

• Andrew

04/07/2013 at 7:22 pm

I think that means has any special affects or the launches added since last time

04/11/2013 at 3:51 pm

No, nothing new in the tunnel that I’m aware of.

2. Dan Sheffer

04/04/2013 at 9:29 pm

Can’t Wait To Ride This Awesome Coaster!

3. Andrew

04/04/2013 at 9:39 pm

Looks great. From the pictures, it looks like a gigantic version of Scream!’s loop!

4. steve austin

04/04/2013 at 9:42 pm

The holes that you were wondering about are for the LIMs (linear induction motors)portion of this ride. It is similar to how Superman is launched.

04/04/2013 at 10:16 pm

Oh…duh!! Thanks, Steve. I should have realized that. Now I feel really dumb. 😉

• Nathan

04/05/2013 at 5:02 pm

Steve, Full Throttle is being launched with LSMs (linear synchronous motors) not LIMs.

• James

04/05/2013 at 6:04 pm

It’s really not that important. The holes are there for the launch system, that’s all that really matters.

04/05/2013 at 8:13 pm

I knew what he meant. But that does bring up an interesting question. Where are the motors going to go for the track in the tunnel? I don’t think there’s enough clearance inside the tunnel, and the back hill looks finished, so they must be going out front. How far away from the track can they be?

• Nate

04/08/2013 at 9:05 am

The motors themselves are rather small, now the electrical works that come with them. That is a lot of space. I’m thinking the holes will be for some of the electrical components to sort of “hide them away” so they get more of a clean look with out all sorts of electrical bits everywhere.

5. Mike

04/04/2013 at 10:19 pm

I’m going to Magic Mountain with 2 of my friends are A C E members on April 9 th.
    Full Throttle wont be open to play_BUMMER. If your on Y I M-face book? Add mdbone33@yahoo.com

6. vince

04/04/2013 at 10:34 pm

was there today

• James

04/05/2013 at 7:48 pm

Thanks for letting us know.
      Do you feel better for telling us that?

7. Looper

04/04/2013 at 10:38 pm

I will never ride this thing but have been to the park and seen it first hand and it looks really great.

04/05/2013 at 8:14 pm

We’ll get you on it someday, Looper! 🙂

8. Ralph B.

04/04/2013 at 11:05 pm

Great update. I was also at the park today and like you said, pictures don’t do it eventhough they are great pictures but you really gotta see it in person to see how big and great that loop is looking. The whole ride is looking awesome. Cannot wait for everything to be finished to see how it’s going to look.

9. Ralph B.

04/04/2013 at 11:09 pm

About the tunnel, I didn’t really notice anything new. Maybe they will continue working in there once they finish the vertical loop. That’s just my opinion though so we will see.

04/05/2013 at 8:16 pm

I’m sure they’ll hang a curtain or something at both ends of the tunnel as the special effects are installed to keep our prying eyes from giving away the surprise.

10. Dylan

04/05/2013 at 12:01 am

I can’t wait to see the completed loop, how long do you think it will be before testing?

04/05/2013 at 8:17 pm

I’m not even sure the park knows that. I’m sure they have a target, but you never know what’s going to pop up unexpectedly that causes the schedule to slip.

11. Keenan

04/05/2013 at 1:49 am

Hey Kurt great update i was at the park today because it was my birthday, good job keep it up i love your updates

04/11/2013 at 3:52 pm

Thank you…Happy Belated Birthday, Keenan!

12. Keenan

04/05/2013 at 1:52 am

This ride is going to be awesome, i seen it today for the first time and it looks way bigger in person.

13. Andrue Valles

04/05/2013 at 8:12 am

well, all i have to say is that……..I WILL SEE YOU ON OPENING DAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

14. michaelochs

04/05/2013 at 11:33 am

I want to go so bad but I may not get to go because my mom and brother don’t want to go anymore, I personally think I deserve to go not missing a single day in over two years in high school, just got to finish this junior year and then my break year of shall be my senior year. Also Thankyou for the new update.

15. Matthew

04/05/2013 at 4:48 pm

When will they start testing

• Justin

04/05/2013 at 5:07 pm

When the track is done, the electrical stuff is complete, and the launches are in place. So probably mid to late May is my guess.

16. Pingback: Full Throttle Construction Article Roundup - The Coaster Guy

17. James

04/05/2013 at 6:08 pm

Thanks for the update! Great photos!

I can imagine in person this looks MUCH bigger than in the photos. Considering in that one photo from the ground you really start to get an idea of how massive the loop/tophat is. It looks like this will be a great ride, I just wish they allowed more space, or did more with the ride after the top hat back to the station. It all just seems so squeezed in.

I am going to try to get out to the park sometime next week (aiming for a Tuesday or Wednesday) so I can do a lap and miss the crowds. Has Lex Luther been running? It was closed the entire time on my last visit, and I don’t wanna miss it.

04/05/2013 at 8:19 pm

It wasn’t running when I was there yesterday, and I heard it hadn’t been running for a couple of days. They had the gondolas parked up top today both times I drove by, indicating that it probably wasn’t running again today.

04/06/2013 at 10:22 pm

I think I mentioned someplace that when The Travel Channel was shooting their upcoming show Ride-iculous back on February 27, they had problems getting Lex Luthor to work properly and had to delay the shoot. Our SoCal ACE rep sent me an e-mail about participating as an extra, and I went out that day. It was a Wednesday and the park was closed. The problem was that the catch cars weren’t releasing the gondolas when they were supposed to, so they stayed up there for as long as five minutes. (I took four rides like that, along with one where the catch car released the gondola from about 40 feet above the station.) On the plus side, while they didn’t get their footage, they did feed us well with lunches from Panera Bread. As a bonus, there were a whole bunch of lunches left over so they let us take one home, too.

18. michael mountain

04/06/2013 at 9:09 am

hey coasterguy do you think the exit will possibly be under the station and exit in that big hole?

04/06/2013 at 8:45 pm

Under the station through a hole? No. But if you mean on the lower level of the station and through that oversized doorway, I would say that’s a perfectly logical assumption.

• michael mountain

04/06/2013 at 9:30 pm

yes thats what i meant, what was i thinking?

19. Tyler Chinappi

04/06/2013 at 10:57 am

I saw this the same day this was posted. When is the next update?

04/06/2013 at 8:46 pm

Probably after my next visit.

20. Justin

04/06/2013 at 12:16 pm

On an unrelated note, does anyone know if the up-charge attractions (slingshot and dive devil) are operating during grad night?

04/06/2013 at 8:47 pm

No clue. I usually have very little insight into the special events. Have they ever been open during Grad Night in the past?

04/11/2013 at 3:54 pm

I asked a friend of mine who works one of the attractions and he said they are all open during Grad Night.

21. joseph

04/06/2013 at 3:28 pm

the loop looks small in the 12th picture!!!

04/06/2013 at 8:49 pm

Nothing about this loop is small in person.

22. blake

04/06/2013 at 11:49 pm

when are they putting in launch track and construction on the plaza?

04/07/2013 at 8:58 am

Only the park knows that for sure.

23. Matthew

04/07/2013 at 8:07 am

When do you think the track will be done

04/07/2013 at 8:59 am

Probably in the next week or two, assuming work continues at the same pace and they don’t run into any complications.

24. Brian

04/07/2013 at 12:22 pm

Hey Kurt. Great update as usual. Two quick things. On a video on YouTube it looks like the loop will be completed Wednesday and in the video it looked like the braking system starts part way down the end of the top hat. Can you confirm the breaking system.

04/11/2013 at 3:56 pm

Yes, the brakes start roughly halfway down the back of the loop.

25. Jack Curulicio

04/08/2013 at 3:31 pm

Was driving by on Saturday and it didn’t look too different than it does in these pics.
    Hope it will be open before early June when I’m coming.

26. Jack Curulicio

04/08/2013 at 3:33 pm

I was driving by on Saturday and it looked similar to this.
    Hope it’s open by early June so I get to go on it when I visit.

27. Walter white

04/09/2013 at 9:23 am

One thing i learned from doing similar updates for Skyrush at Hersheypark is that they are not steel workers but iron workers. Steel workers make the track. Iron workers actually make bridges, buildings and more important roller coasters. So thank you local union iron worker next time for this amazing ride being built.

04/09/2013 at 10:11 am

Thank you for the correction, Walter. I have a tremendous amount of respect for the work those guys do, so I definitely don’t want to misidentify them.

28. Jack Curulicio

04/10/2013 at 8:19 am

When do you think your next update will be?

29. Marc

04/11/2013 at 7:41 pm

Hey coaster guy! I just got home from Six Flags today and the Loop is up and ready!
    Don’t quite know how to post it on here but email me and I can send you the pic I took if you’d like 🙂

• Marc

04/11/2013 at 7:50 pm

I meant the Top Hat

04/11/2013 at 9:31 pm

Thanks, Marc, but I was there this morning when they topped off the loop. Check out my latest post.