Full Throttle Construction Update #15

By on 04/08/2013

Six Flags Magic Mountain Full Throttle Logo

The Full Throttle construction at Six Flags Magic Mountain continues to make progress as we inch closer to summer. This update is from 7 Apr 2013.

From the front of the park, the two sides of the loop continue to reach for the sky. You can now easily see where the track will connect to the loop to form the top hat element:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Full Throttle Construction Update

Even though the loop isn’t even at full height yet, it can already be seen from the freeway:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Full Throttle Construction Update

Here is the track heading into the final brake run after the top hat:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Full Throttle Construction Update

A close-up of the second suport structure for the vertical loop:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Full Throttle Construction Update

Brakes can be seen on all of the track pieces that have already been installed coming off of the vertical loop, after the final drop:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Full Throttle Construction Update

Here is a close-up of part of the brake system. The train is a lot of weight that will be moving very fast as it crests the loop, and it doesn’t have much room to stop:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Full Throttle Construction Update

Track, track, everywhere! Up, down, left, right…this is going to be a fun ride:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Full Throttle Construction Update

The station walls are up but it doesn’t look like much else has been done to it yet:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Full Throttle Construction Update

Lots of rebar and prep work going into the ground next to the station. This is presumably where the LSMs will be mounted that power the launch system:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Full Throttle Construction Update

The rest of the track pieces are standing by and ready to be installed:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Full Throttle Construction Update

Since Gold Rusher drops over to the front of the hill, close to Full Throttle, they have been keeping it closed during construction. However, since no work was being done on Sunday, it was open and quite a few people were riding it, ourselves included:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Full Throttle Construction Update

New posts have been installed to replace the fence that was removed on the back hill:

Six Flags Magic Mountain Full Throttle Construction Update

Anyone else make it over to Six Flags Magic Mountain during Spring Break? What do you think of the ride so far?

1. Pingback: Full Throttle Construction Article Roundup - The Coaster Guy

04/08/2013 at 10:49 am

This ride is really coming along and I’m actually started to get excited about riding it. I can’t wait to see the finished loop. It’s going to be a Magic Mountain landmark and will be photographed many times.

About the new fencing: That looks like the back path between Gold Rusher and the top of the mountain (“Heart Attack Hill”). I would think that the new fence section would have gone in front of the support pole, not behind it. But other rides (like Tatsu) have poles that are situated on the various pathways in the park and so far I haven’t heard of anyone doing anything dumb like trying to climb up one. However, I understand that they may want to fence off the one up in Superman Plaza just because the track is so much closer. We’ll see what they do.

Thank you for all of your visits to the park for updates. It’s making me want to get out there and see all of this for myself.

• Looper

04/08/2013 at 4:21 pm

Eric… do you have a season pass and get to the park very often?

04/08/2013 at 9:56 pm

I do have a season pass—the Gold one, in fact. At one time, I was getting out to SFMM a couple of times a month, but have slowed down considerably due to lack of funds (I haven’t worked in a long time). Since I live 40 miles from there, it takes a few gallons of gas for each trip.

On another note, I am a member of ACE, so I anticipate attending the media day event for Full Throttle. I have been at all of them in recent years except for Apocalypse.

• Looper

04/09/2013 at 9:24 pm

One think for sure i would never walk up “Heart Attack Hill” .. i would walk all the way around heading up hill nearer Ninja and then behind Dipping Dots building and up to top of the hill. I hope you have a better ending with the funds Eric as I know what your talking about. I only live a cpl miles from SFMM but you can say I would only go on the flat rides with Orient Express and Sky Tower on the top of my wish list as all time favs.

• James

04/10/2013 at 5:25 pm

It’s hardly Everest!

3. Michael

04/08/2013 at 11:55 am

I have got to go and see this all for myself, this is history in the making and it is awesome Thankyou for all these updates.

4. Jill H

04/08/2013 at 11:59 am

This looks great!! Thank you for the pictures!

5. bejammin

04/08/2013 at 12:49 pm

Based on the progress I was wondering Kurt if you have gotten an invite to the topping off of the track. They usually have a ceremony for it and invite the press.

04/08/2013 at 12:50 pm

I have indeed. It’s later this week. 😉

• Benyantis

04/08/2013 at 2:24 pm

I don’t know if you can, but if possible can you take a video of the topping of the track? If so, that would be awesome!

04/08/2013 at 2:42 pm

We’ll see. I can’t take photos, shoot video, and still interact with people at the same time. The video is a pain w/o having a dedicated videographer, so I typically don’t do it.

6. Matthew

04/08/2013 at 3:30 pm

When will the next update be?

• Andrew

04/08/2013 at 3:37 pm

Usually it is on a Friday, but maybe a week from now. Lets just say it will be posted.

7. Casey

04/08/2013 at 3:40 pm

The ride is looking great!!!Can’t wait to ride it!There’ll probably be a great view atop the loop!

• Dane. P

04/08/2013 at 7:53 pm

for the millisecond you are up there yes

• Casey

04/09/2013 at 3:29 pm

Ya,LOL.

8. jarrid

04/08/2013 at 6:04 pm

My 2nd home is having a new baby, so excited for this bad-boy!….

9. Roger Yoshida

04/08/2013 at 10:07 pm

Looks insane. Shame that all that enery is put in to the brakes, why not more track! 🙂

04/08/2013 at 11:02 pm

I’m sure it was mainly a matter of funding. If it was just another coaster going on top of the parking lot, it might have been longer. But they had a lot of site work, on a hillside, and they are creating a whole new themed area. That all costs lots of money.

10. Jon

04/08/2013 at 10:24 pm

I wish there where more updates throughout the week! I’m sorry I’m being a little overzealous, I’m just so anxious over this ride! I can’t wait for them to finish track work and start the testing phase!

04/08/2013 at 10:59 pm

Sorry, Jon, but I have one of those pesky things called a job that prevents me from going to the park every day. 😉

• Dane. P

04/09/2013 at 10:24 pm

If you don’t mind me asking. What do you do for a living? I’m just curious more then anything.

04/11/2013 at 3:35 pm

I’m a project manager for Symantec Corporation.

11. Sammy

04/08/2013 at 10:49 pm

Wow looks great. I can only imagine how powerful those brakes are going to be out of the top hat though. Does anyone know if the restraints will be OTSR or lap bars?

04/08/2013 at 10:57 pm

Lap bars only.

• Justin

04/09/2013 at 3:29 pm

I surprisingly haven’t been on a looping coaster that has only lap bars as restraints. I have been on many looping coasters but they either had OTSRs or both (Revolution).

• Dane. P

04/09/2013 at 10:25 pm

It’s not uncommon. The only reason that revolution needed one was because it was the 1st loop. (or was corkscrew 1st?), and they just wanted to be safe. Shockwave at six flags over Texas is the same way.

• Ezra

04/10/2013 at 10:27 am

Revolution was the first loop.

12. chilton schilling

04/09/2013 at 12:23 pm

Anyone know how soon testing starts after the track is together?

13. Likegreenlantern

04/09/2013 at 1:54 pm

It’s been about two weeks science I cheeked on Gatekeeper. The track is completely up, but the train wasn’t there. They also talked about getting the que up and every detail. Outlaws Run opened to the general public about 3 or 4 weeks after testing. I know they had the scenery and everything to a detail when it was opened. I assume the scenery and the majority of the details about three or 4 weeks before the opening. So any way, they should start testing after everything is cleaned up and the que is fulled with suspension and theming . Your welcome!

• Justin

04/09/2013 at 3:25 pm

GateKeeper is in the process of testing at the moment. It will open May 11, 2013 along with the rest of the park.

The track for Full Throttle will be complete Friday, if I am not mistaken so it might be a while until F.T. starts testing because they will need to install the LSMs and the tunnel brakes. I do not know if the trains are at the park yet so they would also need to wait for the trains. I would imagine that the testing period takes a long time for F.T. because they might need to prevent rollbacks from the loop and the top hat. We have seen that Linear Inductive/ Synchronous Motors don’t always work the way they should. I do not think that they would have to wait until the themeing is complete, they just need the LSMs and all the other mechanical stuff in place… I think

• Dane. P

04/09/2013 at 10:27 pm

It wouldn’t surprise me if they did wait for the theme area to be finished before they open the ride, because they don’t need people walking around as they build it.

• Justin

04/10/2013 at 4:12 pm

Well the theme area should be done when the ride opens, but they don’t need the area to be done in order to test the ride.

• dylan

04/10/2013 at 8:00 pm

actually it will be completed tomorrow, construction went faster than expected 🙂

14. Likegreenlantern

04/09/2013 at 1:59 pm

By the way Coaster guy! Do you think you could talk to the park and see if you can get a special viewing of the first Run!? If you show them your great pictures and information about Full Throttle construction itself along with the even little details about the park updates you could mabe even get a job there! That would be cool!

15. mitchell

04/09/2013 at 8:30 pm

I went there the day after you did, they were starting the top hat. Also whens it going to open

04/11/2013 at 3:43 pm

Still no official opening date. I’m hearing rumors of a June 14th opening, but nothing from the park.

16. Ezra

04/10/2013 at 10:30 am

I went 2 weeks ago on good friday. I know this is later than that, but i noticed that the Viper train in the back ( aka the ‘graveyard’) was gone. Just lettingn you know Kurt

17. MichaelOchs

04/10/2013 at 4:07 pm

Six Flags Magic Mountain keeps updating their fb status’ and saying new loop information, today was revolution, and they said more loop news tomorrow, so what I am trying to get at is, they may have it finished tomorrow, also thank you for all of the great updates. 🙂

• Justin

04/10/2013 at 4:14 pm

My guess is that they will announce the Full Throttle opening date tomorrow, or they can announce that the track is complete. I hope they announce the opening date.

04/11/2013 at 3:44 pm

It’s not completed, nor did they announce an opening date. It was simply the topping off of the coaster.

18. Ralph B.

04/10/2013 at 11:56 pm

So I just saw a picture of the the vertical loop completed. Theme Park Review post it on their Facebook’s page. It looks awesome. Now I can’t wait to go to the park again to see it in person.

Sooo ready for Full Throttle. 🙂

04/11/2013 at 6:00 am

It’s not completed yet. I’ll be attending the “topping off” ceremony later this morning where they install the highest piece of the ride. In this case, it will be the top-most piece of the loop. Pics to follow.

19. Ralph B.

04/11/2013 at 8:18 am

Thanx for the info. I will be waiting for those pictures later on. 🙂

20. chilton schilling

04/11/2013 at 8:51 am

So it is today. Awesome can’t wait for that post. Hey Kurt do you plan on following the construction of the theming area?

04/11/2013 at 3:46 pm

As much as I can, but that’s much harder to do. With the coaster, at least it stuck up over the construction wall. Theming details are much more difficult to see than roller coaster track.

21. Martin

04/11/2013 at 11:25 am

Great job as always. The next time you are there can you take snapshot showing the massive size of the completed loop from the 5 freeway. Know one has done that yet. Thank you in advance.

04/11/2013 at 3:48 pm

It’s already on my to-do list. Despite its size, it’s not as easy to see from the freeway as one would expect. It’s such a big loop, and the track is so thin, it tends to blend in with its surroundings.

22. Ezra

04/11/2013 at 1:41 pm

What does it take to be a roller coaster enthusiast?

04/11/2013 at 3:50 pm

Enthusiasm for roller coasters. (Is this a trick question?)

• Ezra

04/12/2013 at 11:48 am

No i was wondering because I love roller coasters, but i didn’t consider myself to be an enthusiast. However since i have discovered this site i believe that i have become one.

04/13/2013 at 9:55 pm

If you love roller coasters, then you are an enthusiast. Welcome to the club! 🙂